Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #166  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Just popping in to say hi ~ internet still acting up ~ dh hasn't had time to look into it. So, haven't been spending as much time on here ~ sorry ~ I haven't had a chance to read the posts and keep caught up with you all. Maybe it's a good thing ~ I've been getting some stuff done that I had been needing to get done for a while.

For the first time this week at WW, the scale went in the wrong direction ~ not by much ~ .4 pounds, but this weight loss thing never goes down steady anyway. So far it seems easy to stick to and easy to get back on track when there are occasions where I can't measure and count. I really need to add in the exercise part ~ I don't know why that is the hardest part for me ~ it is not hard to do (walk) I just always manage to find something else to do instead.

Back to work tomorrow ~ hope you all have a good weekend.

Take care
Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #167  

Height: 5'3"

Haven't had time to post much recently and I'm just catching up on your posts. Today's another busy day but we are waiting for the guys to come install our patio door. Thought they would be here by now, but doesn't really matter as we are not going anywhere.

My dh had pain yesterday and esp last night, but only when up moving around. Think it is all the exercise he is getting. Doctor told him he would probably hurt more. He is better today though and went to PT again.

It is not raining today but the ground is still wet so I can't mow. Hope to get some nice dry days again soon so I can mow as the grass is getting high and I don't want it to be so hard for me.

All I've done today is daily chores, transferred another tape, and swept the front walkway, pulled open the big gate and swept the way back to the patio and the patio so it would be nice and clear for the guys bringing in the door. We are getting a lot of moss...my dh says he usually uses a moss killer so guess I need to buy that and use it. If he doesn't tell me about these things I haven't a clue... I think sometimes he doesn't want to tell me because he doesn't want to burden me with more chores but I really don't mind and keep telling him to let me know.

Sherrill and Lynn - good for you on the exercise! I'm trying to incorporate more movement into my day. I have always done a lot of stretches and other exercises...like walking in place, squats etc. while watching TV but now I am adding in weights. I miss the gym but probably won't get back to it now until spring if we go on our winter trip as usual. I always miss the gym during the three months we travel and of course when we are on shorter trips but It's been several years since I have missed the gym for so long when not traveling. When we are traveling, we usually walk most mornings too.

Rosey you have a lot to think and do in preparation for your surgery it seems. Sounds like you are doing great with the diet, don't worry about 1 lb. I wish you the best!

Karen - that BBQ chicken sure sounds good!! I'm going to try it.

Well, still waiting for the window guys!! I think they must have gone for a long lunch.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #168  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Did I mention that Turtle has been renamed "Tut" (as in King Tut) because he has quite taken over the rule of the house? He also runs, jumps, chases his tail (and other, unsuspecting tails) and plays with everything that isn't nailed down. I must post a picture sometime soon, because he has become very long and lanky...no longer the teeny tiny little guy who first came to us wet and bedraggled from the storm. One of our cats - the big pure black one named Yoko - gets along fine with him, wrestles with him, chases him when he isn't chasing her, but Daisy, our huge fluffy gray girl remains aloof from them both, finding high places to lie and look down at them from disdainfully. "Tut" will be neutered in another month; I wonder if that will slow him down any?
I have been out of work all week following my brother's funeral on Monday. I believe I told you-all that my sis and her family were gone on Wednesday. I have truly been relaxing and pretending that I never have to go back, although reality will undoubtedly set in by Sunday. Well, I have 83 weeks to go.... I have to say, though, that I haven't accomplished a whole lot over these past few days. I meant to liberate my winter clothes from their vacuum bags and get some of my summer things stored, but haven't gotten to it yet. The weather has really been wonderful, and I haven't been able to resist heading down to the lake every day. Too hot to get winter woolens out, and that's all there is to it.
You DO stay busy, Mary, don't you? All that yard work! Yikes! Well, hopefully, your new door is in now. One more thing done. It never ends, of course. You get one thing done, and there's something else waiting.
I'm glad that WW's is working for you, Gayle. Keep up the good work, and check in when you can.
Fifteen miles, eh, Sherrill? Wow. I can't even imagine riding fifteen miles! Back when I was riding all the time, five or six miles seemed pretty good to me. I can't even identify with fifteen miles! Are you trying out for the Olympics? Bike shorts, eh? Yeah. I remember them. I thought they just emphasized the bulges, myself, but I don't imagine you have any, with all that pedaling! Wow! I'm impressed!
You, too, Lynn. You're really moving as well - sore toe and all! (You know I'd be using that for an excuse why I couldn't do anything, right?)
Karen3, I didn't eat any kind of fruit for YEARS...never cared much for it, and then when I was on the Atkins diet for all those many moons, the carbs weren't worth it to me. Now that I've been eating a more balanced and healthy (high fiber, low fat, etc.) diet, I just LOVE fresh fruit! I gorged myself on blueberries and grapes all summer long...now I guess it'll have to be apples, but they're fine, as well, and right now the peaches are pretty abundant, so we'll have those for awhile, too.
Rosey, it's so good to hear about your progress - very inspirational, seriously. Keep up the good work - AND keep us informed as things move along. It's really exciting, isn't it?
Omigawd, PT!!!!! I watched a few episodes of "Hoarders". I guess it MUST be a mental illness, right? It's unimaginable to me the way some people can't even seem to part with things like candy wrappers and other bits of trash. I have to admit that I hold on to some things that I don't really need anymore, sure, but they're in closets and drawers, not strewn all over my house!
Bobbi, the differences in weather from one part of the country to the other never cease to amaze me. We have storms, you have intense heat; we have sun, you have rain. I'm sorry that the farmers are suffering out your way - and the soybean crop! Does that mean, I wonder, that soybean prices will be up in the next couple of months?
Freda, I certainly have enjoyed my "alone" time! I could definitely get used to having lots more of it!
Bye for now, and hello to Isabella wherever you are....

Z
Old 09-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

I made an appointment with the podiatrist. Until then, I am putting anti-bacterial cream on my toe, bandaging it, and continuing to do my fast walking.

Today, my DD and I are going to a local Sam's and soliciting money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society - the org. that sponsor's my DD's marathons. Tonight, my DD & SIL are taking me to the Mann Music Center for a chamber music concert and dinner.

Have a good Saturday,

Lynn
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #170  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Lynn, you make me tired! What with your running, jumping, skipping, and all the social activities, I have to rest! I cannot imagine how you don't weigh 25#!!! I think it's so way cool that you enjoy life so much!

PT/Zoe, you're sounding more rested, and I hope those 83 weeks go quickly (!) so you can just enjoy, enjoy, and enjoy! Do send pictures of TurtleTut... aren't they so cute?? My boy is getting so old (17), and it's time to replace him with a fresh and new kitty (SamCat, don't read that! I don't mean it!!!).

Off to my sister's birthday party this afternoon. Granny/Mom is bringing pasty (for those of you who don't know, it's a meat pie in crust, OMG so good!) and I'm bringing cake and ice cream. She'll be 50 tomorrow and is feeling blechy about it... I say BAH and HA! She's just a wee child still... She'll wake up one day with every mashed potato she ever ate plastered on her thighs and so should enjoy being a young size 4! (Yes, we really ARE blood sisters).

Everyone, I hope your weekend is a good one! For those of you with decent weather, enjoy; for those of you without decent weather, I hope it gets better! Be safe!

Last edited by jess1; 09-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....Anyone got a gun cause I need to just shoot me. I had that fanastic spinach Thurs night smothered with garlic and tonight I made sea scallop scampi. That much garlic in what 4 days is gonna kill me. That much garlic on your breath will melt buildings or at least paint off walls. Dash is looking for bus ticket out of town. It is leaking from my pores and curling my hair.....OMG it was so good. Put the scallops on ww angel hair pasta. So actually diet friendly.

I have been giving Dh sf cake with strawberries and sf ff whipped cream. His BS this week is running 110. Go figure? He's happy and was will be his doctor.

There's a kinda nasty neighbor up the street who lets his 3 dogs(one's a pitbull) run loose especially at night. DH went out with Dash for a last call around 11pm and the 3 dog pack was in our yard. Dash totally changed personality and went fly after the 3 growling loudly. He came back immediately. Charged into my room and told me how he had saved us. He was so excited. Did i tell you he has a 200 word vocabulary??? He is almost 6 and we have only seen him as the nondominate male so quite a surprise. Of course now he charges out every 2 hours to do it again....sighhhhhh

Ice is still my friend...I do fine but tire easy and only by ice packing my lower back can I get moving again. No pain pill in days just ice.

Found a recipe for white bean and collard soup. Gonna try it tomorrow. If it is good I'll post it. South Beach diet requires alot of bean eating.

Take care everyone....starting to thunder and don't wanna lose this post...hugs, karen3
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #172  

Yes, Zoe, our new door is now in!! It is so pretty and white and clean...except already getting dirty outside along the caulking. Sigh..it's bound to happen I know. But you can sure tell the difference since all we had was single pane before and the lock works so nicely!! No more stick to (hopefully) keep out intruders...they know how to get around that I've heard. Actually our doors are alarmed but it's nice to have a good lock too. And I love how smoothly it moves...esp the screen...we haven't had a good screen on that door in a long time.

Karen - loved your post about the garlic and Dash!! Your bean soup sounds good...I love beans and soup so I'm sure I'd like it. Sorry you still need the ice but glad it helps you. My legs have not been hurting as much lately too, so I'm thankful.

Jess - size 4?!! Oh gosh, wouldn't that be cool to be size 4! Well, I'm sure I'd look like a old hag at that size with all the sagging skin, but I can dream. Once upon a time I could wear a size 3 can you believe it?...but at that time in our town usually the smallest size you could find was a 5 so that's what I had to wear. Some 5s fit better than others. My wedding dress was a 5 and had to be taken down all over. Oh, the good old days! I could eat anything I wanted...knew nothing about diabetes and didn't think I'D every be overweight!

Lynn - your poor toe! Makes me hurt to think about it! Sure doesn't seem to slow you down though..you're a busy gal! Have fun!

Zoe - enjoyed reading about the cats and could picture them in my mind running about. We haven't had any pets for 15 years now but sometimes I miss having one. Now and then I will dream about one of our dogs we had when the kids were still home. I dreamed about her the other night and I was putting her out the door and thinking I must be nice to her as I will miss her when she is gone. LOL

Today I finally got a chance to mow...suppose to rain again tomorrow so glad I got it done to day. Seemed to go pretty fast and I also watered one garden bed and the hanging tomato. I have a couple orange tomatoes on it but the one in the ground is sure slow at changing color. I finally brought in two...one huge green one and one that was just slightly changing color. I don't want any little creature to get to them and I want to see whether they will ripen inside. It seems to be working with the one (that had already started) but the huge green one isn't cooperating. My mom always ripened tomatoes in the kitchen window so I do that too...but seems like I've heard of wrapping and putting in the dark...anyone know best way?

I also got another tape transferred and changed the sheets and did daily things. That's about it I think for my day. When I got up this morning, I was feeling a little down over some family problems, and I thought I'll just go out on my own today..shop, get nails done etc, but I prayed, and got busy with my day and got over it. LOL I was too busy and didn't really care about going out afterall. Saved money and got a lot done too....the other can wait for another day.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #173  

Hey everyone..im back..what a long and tireing trip yesterday..and when we got home the power was off as we had a huge wind storm..i did not like that chemically induced cardiac stress test..when it was all done i was lite headed had brusies on my arms and a terrible headache.. they got my heart rate up to 140 beats per min and i was breathing like i was running..very weird and uncomfortable feeling..but my tickers in great shape..couldnt finnish the dr apt as their power was off so we had lunch and headed home..on our way up to anch as the sun came up the trees where beautiful..i was going to take pictures on the way home to share but it was blowing so hard that all the leaves where swirling around and the trees where nude on our trip home we found a nice asisited living for my mil and shes all moved in,not a happy camper but resigned to it for now..it s a small place only 5 folks as patients she has a nice rm,communal living rm and dining 24 hr care and they have 3 house dogs which my mil loves..its costly tho..she has some ins to help out..thankyou for all the interest in my journey..it is exciting esp if i get an ok at the group meeting i met a young man who had the surg..he weighed 700+ lbs when he started and hes now down to 400+ he looks great and his progress is inspiring..i looked like a little peanut next to him lol..i also did not use my wheel chair to use bthrm i walked with my walker from car into conv store used the facilities and walked back..easier than unloading ch etc..i was proud that i could do this not once but sev times yesterday i guess that why i was so tired.. a nsv yay me..

zoe your new kitty sounds like alot of fun,glad you had some relaxing time away from work.
Jess enjoy the party.
Lynn ouch take care of yourself.
Karen you make me laugh i like garlic too but dh doesnt tho he doesnt know he eats it all the time hee hee im evil lol.
Maryea i luv the smell of mowed grass..we dont have a fancy yard mostly wild stuff that resembels grass.weeds can be pretty
glynne toones and bobbie hope your weekends going well

i hope i didnt miss anyone and if i did not on purpose my dh wants spaghetti for dinner so must get busy(jarred sauce works fine lol) ttfn (((hugs))) rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 09-25-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #174  

Just passing time until we leave for church. I did well with my diet yesterday and dropped one of the pounds I've gained recently...hope I stick to it now. I can't believe how fast I gained! I think the more you diet the faster you gain if you go off the diet.
I will be so glad too when I get rid of all these recycled pounds and get to the virgin pounds...LOL think I heard that from Coralee. Where is she BTW, is she on the cruise? Anyway I have dieted so much off and on for so many years, I don't know what I would call "virgin" pounds any more....do I go clear back to 1983 when I lost down to 140? Or to 2003 when I lost to 145? Probably not to 120 when I first started looking overweight at age 22. I think I'd look too haggard now at that weight. Regardless it feels like I have such a long way to go....yet I know some on this site have lost far more so I just need to stick to my diet consistently. It works when I do. My bs was great last night too!

Rosey - I don't think I'd like that chemically induced stress test either! I didn't know they did that! I'm not sure I could even pass a regular stress test esp these days. 700 lbs!! That's amazing that he lost 300 lbs of it. It really helps to hear other's stories as it does inspire us, doesn't it..

Hope you all have a good Sunday....

Last edited by maryea; 09-26-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #175  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
I've so enjoyed everyone's post lately, everyone has something exciting going on.
Lynn...you just keep on truckin' don't you. I agree with Donna, you make me tired too. You cram so much into your life, but then you live in an area where you have so many activities to choose from. The highlite of my day yesterday was stopping at a open house for an Alpaca farm. We could pet the critters, see the babies. They advertise the warmest Alpaca wool socks in the world and were sold out for now. I placed an order for two pairs.
Zoe...yeah, where's the turtle pictures? I see you use vacuum bags too, I put MIL seasonal clothes in those. Then I gave all her summer clothes away this summer at one of my DD's rummage sale. It's air conditioned where she lives and Barb wears long sleeved sweaters all the time. She hasn't asked for her summer clothes for the last couple of years and I was sick of storing them. She's have a fit if she knew! She's gotten into the habit of calling us every night asking about Woody (dead for 21 years). We decided to just tell her he's hunting and wants her to stay there (nursing home) until he gets back. That seems to be working now instead of the truth. She settles down and goes back to her room.
Glynne...You are among the majority of people who hate to exercise, me included. I've been doing hand weight around the house as the mood hits me and seems to be working out well for me. I can't stand putting aside a certain time each day for exercise, then I start to dread it. I give myself a free choice as to when, and keep my hand weights on the kitchen counter, on my computer desk or by my living room chair. I do 25 reps at a time which takes about 2 minutes. I just make sure I have at least a 100 reps in before bed. This isn't much but better than nothing, try it.
Quote:
I really need to add in the exercise part ~ I don't know why that is the hardest part for me ~ it is not hard to do (walk) I just always manage to find something else to do instead.

Rosey...do you have a date yet or approximate time when the surgery will be?
Karen...we've always had a dog, don't ya just love the expression they have? We have to spell out some words at our house so Charlie doesn't go into 'excitement mode'. We've been thinking of moving off our acreage because it's getting to be so much work. Most condo's in our area will tolerate a dog is it doesn't bark and under 40 pounds. Charlie is very vocal and weighs 60 pound and loves roaming free so we're pretty much stuck for the next 10 years or so. (Charlies is only 5)
Quote:
He was so excited. Did i tell you he has a 200 word vocabulary??? He is almost 6 and we have only seen him as the nondominate male so quite a surprise. Of course now he charges out every 2 hours to do it again....sighhhhhh
Mary...That brought back memories of when I was in 7th grade and skinny. I wanted a teenage skirt like my two older sisters wore but I was between kids clothes and teen clothes. After trying on all the smallest size skirts I could find, I settled on one I thought I could grow into. It was a straight skirt, black & white. I never did grow into it and my two older sisters wore it Funny how I still get a fuzzy ball in my tummy after all these years of not being able to fit it. I felt so cheated!
Quote:
Well, I'm sure I'd look like a old hag at that size with all the sagging skin, but I can dream. Once upon a time I could wear a size 3 can you believe it?...but at that time in our town usually the smallest size you could find was a 5 so that's what I had to wear. Some 5s fit better than others. My wedding dress was a 5 and had to be taken down all over. Oh, the good old
Time to get with the program, I have more tomatoes to pick and the raspberries are really plump and juicy right now. The birds get some of them but that's all right, I love to watch them. Yesterday we had 7 Hummingbirds on our feeders all at once, what fun! Charlie sits on the bed and watches them too, wonder what goes on in his mind.
Have a good one.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-27-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #176  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Warning – post is long and probably interesting only to me.

In 2006, I began my weight loss journey from an all-time high of 185 lbs. It took me 1 year to lose 30 lbs. From 2007 to now, I have hovered around 155 lbs with a goal of getting to 145 lbs.

During the last couple of weeks, I have been examining my “real” goal. If it were “really" to get to 145 lbs, why have I not done it? Every month, I start with the goal of “Keep track of what I eat and my exercise; eat fewer than 1200 calories/day; exercise more than 60 min/day.”

In actuality, I have stuck to my goal when I am home alone. When I eat out with friends/family, and when I am on vacation, I go over my 1200 calories and I do not record everything I eat. If my weight starts to drift up over 155 lbs, I eat really low calorie until I get back there.

Based on my performance, I think that my “real” goal is to stay at around 155 lbs while enjoying restaurants and vacations. I accept that I have embarked on a lifelong journey. I will ALWAYS need to work on my weight. I am willing to be careful of my choices when I am at restaurants and on vacation. But – I am not willing to sacrifice all eating desires in order to get to 145 lbs.

I have 2 types of cancer (melanoma & lymphoma), diabetes, and high blood pressure. I need to enjoy the time I have left because I don’t know how much longer I will be here. At 155 lbs, my diabetes and blood pressure are well-controlled (both my cardiologist and my endocrinologist are happy with my current weight and with my exercise regime) and, while I know I am overweight, I am no longer obese. I fit into regular size 12 clothes or petite size 14.

All of this is to say that I am changing my weight goal to 155 lbs and I plan to make new behavior goals every month toward making my daily diet more healthy. My October goal will be to eat at least 3 servings of vegetables every day.

Lynn
Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #177  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Congratulations, Lynn, on being able to adjust your reality! Given all the activity you do and the good way you eat, I think you're right that adjusting to 155# is probably what your body wants, since it's not cooperating with you, insofar as losing another 10#.

Mary, that chemical stress test is called a persantine thallium test. They inject the substance to simulate what happens when you do a heavy stint on a treadmill.

Bobbi, do you make raspberry jam? The family gathering we had in July for Aunty Ann's 95th birthday: one of the DIL put a handful of fresh raspberries into cupcake papers and dusted them with powdered sugar. It was beautiful! And tasty!!

Nothing going on here. Fall is in the air; the trees are changing color, and it's cooling, and it's lovely! I'm just a perky and happy person! Love it!

Everyone, have a good day! PT/Zoe, we need to see TurtleTut! Be safe, everyone!

Last edited by jess1; 09-27-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #178  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Lynn...well thought out and well said.
I think you are on the right track, you go girlfriend!

P.S. Crabby Maxine was funny today, "I've gotten that dreaded furniture disease. That's when your chest is falling into your drawers!"
Old 09-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #179  

good morning girls,

Lynn, no lynn, your post isn't interesting only to you! It's well thought out and I can see that you've done some soul seaching. Made a hard decision for you to make, but I think it's a good one. I said some time ago that I don't weight every day. I watch what I eat and try to eat healthy. I exercise at least 4-5 times a week, but I dont' go crazy if I can't. We are living this life, it's the only one we have. I said when I started this weight loss journey I would know my goal weight when I got there. It has to be soemthing I can maintain and still enjoy life. I eat what I want within reason. So, congratulation! You are healthy and fit. And now you're at your goal weight!

I'll write more later.

freda
Old 09-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #180  

Hi everyone..a beautiful fall day here..im finally getting rested..dr todds office called and i need one more blood test,then they will medicaly clear me for surg..then its all submitted to our ins,a yay or nay..then a surg date so i really dont know anything diffinitive yet..its a long process..lynn i loved your taking stock of your life and making changes to suit you ..wtg and high fives,and no its not boring..jess im with you i like to be perky and happy too,nothing on my agenda today hoping your all having a good day too (((hugs)))) rosey
Closed Thread