Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #31  

Height: 5'3"

We went to the pre-opt appt yesterday (for the glaucoma surgery). They didn't know about his leg and just assumed he was still going through with it. I think we both felt a little pressured as they went through all the paperwork involved. Joe asked for another pressure test and when the doctor came in he agreed to the test but not further discussion on the pros and cons of surgery since this was the pre-opt appt and he considered that done. I spoke up and told him about the fx leg and that Joe we needed to address some of the issues again. He understood then and even suggested Joe put it off, and we were seriously considering that but then when he did the pressure test again, the pressure was higher than ever! So he gave us until Sept 1 to decide but at this point we plan on his still having the surgery Sept 9. He will be very dependent again for at least 2 weeks ...can't even tie his own shoes ...which means no PT for his leg during that time. So we explained that to PT today. For now we are upping his PT schedule to 3x week so he will actually only miss 4 sessions. Hopefully the doctor will give more PT orders later on after his eye has healed enough and hopefully the insurance will still cover. I was concerned about him losing ground with his leg strengthening but after talking to PT I feel a little better about that. I think we are both feeling a bit of stress and fatigue right now. Our grandson (10) is coming the week before the surgery and while we look forward to seeing him again with everything else it also feels like a stressor in some ways. We have done so well all through this up to this point and know this is just kind of a hit but we will be ok...just have to keep our focus and not allow this to overwhelm us.

Patty - I'd want to not go below 100/70 on the bp, although you should really ask your doctor for what he wants for you. Also if you start having low bp symptoms. If your bp is very low, be careful not to get up too fast, and esp if you are taking BP medication. Also if with your diet your bp is consistently low, you might want to talk to your doctor to see whether you need to decrease the doseage of your medication if you are taking any. Your bs sounds really good to me...I am rarely that low even when normal. Are you taking meds for your bs or just controlling with diet and exercise?

Well, need to get moving. I'm still behind this week on housework and still have to finish up the laundry I started 2 days ago! Will have to do more yard work tomorrow so need to get caught up inside today.

Take care everyone!

Last edited by maryea; 08-18-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #32  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Trish, I'm glad you are doing so well taking care of yourself.

Maryea, I'm so sorry you all are facing so much. Am keeping you in my prayers.

I have always had low BP, and have learned never to get up too quickly and always to make sure I have my feet well under me.

Am staying on my plan, and hoping for more rain.

Sending you all healthy thoughts and best wishes.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #33  
certifiable

S/C/G: 189/see ticker/155

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Marea

My bs and bp lower again this morning. I don't know what is safe low for bp. BS was 104 mg/dl. BP 110/60.
110/60 is my "normal" BP -- it has gone as low as 90/60 when I was pregnant --

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea

Also if you start having low bp symptoms.
What exactly are "low blood pressure symptoms"? Maybe I should research that...
Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #34  
GmaTo8

Hello all. Wow, I am really behind on the chatter here.

Southern Indiana had a nice break in the temps, so I got a lot done outside, but today is foggy, and the temps are rising right back up, with lots of humidity. Yuk. We're meeting up with my sisters and their SOs for supper tonight, so at least I don't have to cook.

It's been very quiet around my house, now that the kiddos are back in school. I rearranged my living room, and got some little projects out of the way.

Take care, and stay hydrated!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 239.4/207.4/135

Height: 5'2"

Smile new to3FC and trying to get back on track

Hi everyone! I am 51, married 33 yrs to a wonderful man, have 3 grown kids and 4 grandchildren (4 yr old, 1 yr old twins and 6 mos) work part time as a volunteer coordinator. That about sums me up - ha ha. I have been going to weight watchers for about 1 1/2 years and have only managed to lose 35 pounds. For the past 9 months, I have been losing and gaining the same 5 lbs.
I took the summer off from my WW meetings - I think I needed a break and we were going to be a way a lot this summer so I didn't want to pay for meetings I wasn't even attending. I am away with my husband this week (he's on a business trip in Michigan) and have been going to the hotel fitness room every morning and trying to stay on track. I am looking forward to getting to know you and maybe finding the "secret" ingredient to finally losing the rest of this darn weight.

Lorri
Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Lorri Look forward to getting to know you.

Not much going on here. We may get some much needed rain, but haven't gotten any they said we would so far. It seems to go around us.

Y'all have a great day!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:23 AM   #37  

Seems like the days are going by so fast! Before we know it summer will be over. Sometimes I wish I could slow it down a bit....both because I love summer and also so I wouldn't get old so fast!

We went out to eat tonight...went from restaurant to restaurant trying to find something we wanted... two restaurants we wanted were closed and one was no longer a restaurant. Sure sign of hard times I guess.

Karen - Some people just have lower bp than others and it's perfectly natural. Unless you have symptoms, it is not a problem. Symptoms could include dizziness, falling, fainting, even shock if it fell low enough I guess. People who take bp medication often have to be careful not to get up too fast because when their bp drops (the change in position from sitting to standing) it doesn't rise as fast as in a normal person and they can get dizzy and fall or faint. My dh (on bp med)has to be careful as he gets dizzy and has passed out very briefly once. His doctor knows and the dizziness is considered pretty much expected when taking bp meds unless it is too bad and you are blacking out.

Lorri - welcome to our forum!! Congrats on your loss of 35#. I have had the same problem for quite a while now too..losing and gain back the same 5 lbs. For me it has been because I have not been consistently keeping OP...don't know why I do well for a while then it's like I have to take a break. But I keep trying.

Em - thanks for the prayer. We need it right now. We are feeling better about the upcoming surgery but just wish it were over. There I go...first I want to slow down the days and then I want to speed them up! LOL

Goodnight everyone!

Last edited by maryea; 08-20-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #38  
HelenMay

S/C/G: 159/145/130

Height: 5'1"

Hi Ladies,

Thought I`d join in on the daily chat as well. I live in Switzerland and finally it looks like this weekend we will be getting some SUMMER weather. It was in the 60s this past week and raining- really dreary but it was good back to school weather.

I have a 16 year old son here in high school and my husband is 46. I`m American and DH is Swiss.

I`m still trying to recover from our long vacation - recover in the way of laundry and ironing - ugh!

I`m thinking about having a Labor Day barbecue even though we don`t celebrate it here. I`ll never get used to my son going back to school before labor day.

I so well remember my own school days and trying to hold back the summer from ending on Labor Day. I still treasure those days of laying on the beach and breathing in that salty sea air. I sound like Kramer in that episode of Seinfeld where he wanted to bottle the beach!

Have a great weekend
Old 08-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #39  

Hello Everyone

Another quick one here. Monthly Drs appts for DH and myself today. I hope things go well for both of us. I think my bp will be okay, but would like the bs to go down more. Still need to get under 100 for normal.

I had mentioned not knowing what was too low BP because my Daddy's goes awfully low. I always figured that as long as mine was below 120/80 that I was good. I just don't want to go too low or too high. The FBS has come back up a little because I was getting too tired and realized that I wasn't eating enough carbs. I have made sure to get my 20 grams back into my diet and it has been in hundred teens since then. I'm sure dr will up the Metformin today. I ended up with a 4 lb loss for my first week on Atkins Induction, but the saying that your measuring tape is a better friend on low carb definitely is true. I've lost a total all over 9.5 inches. So I am very pleased.

Helen Glad to have you join us here.

I better cut this off. Got to get ready to leave.

Y'all have a great Friday and weekend.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #40  

I had a great doctors visit. My glucose was down 15 pts, Triglycerides down 162 pts and good HDL cholesterol up 17. My doctor was very pleased and didn't change any of my medicine. I didn't use the name Atkins, but did tell him that I was starting with 20 grams a day for a couple of weeks and then add 5 grams a day for a week etc because I want to learn my carb limit. He made the statement "that is only about 1 and 1/2 cups of starches" but then he said 'your numbers are good". So he didn't not tell me I had to eat more because I did so good. He told me "You have lowered your risk of a heart attack about 61%. So I am very thrilled.

DH started taking Metformin today and the doc gave him a stronger cholesterol/triglyceride medicine. So it was a good productive visit.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-20-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #41  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Good Morning!

Welcome, Lorri and HelenMay! Nice to have you join us.

Trish, I'm glad you are having such good progress. I know that's encouraging.

Maryea, hope things are going well.

I'm staying on plan and inching my way toward my goals. The crickets seem to be chirping unusually loudly this morning. Time for Callanetics and my chores.

I wish you all a lovely morning and success today.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #42  
HelenMay

S/C/G: 159/145/130

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for the welcome ladies!

pattygirl63, what a great report. I am so happy for you. I`m trying to battle high cholesterol and my risk of a heart attack as well. Triglycerides down 162 pts and the risk of heart attack lowered 61% WOW OH WOW - that is soooo excellent!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 AM   #43  
GmaTo8

Happy Birthday, Trish!!

Here's hoping you have a wonderful day!!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #44  

Here I am again! Finally got everything done this week that I planned to do so have "earned" a little computer time. Actually I got even more done than I planned. This afternoon I changed the garage door light bulb...never done that before but it was easy even though I don't like ladders. But my dh stood right beside me which helped. Then we went out and trimmed my lilac tree. I bought the plant online several years ago thinking it was a lilac bush...well it's definitely not! It has a flower similiar to a lilac with a very light scent reminiscent of lilac but it's not what I wanted. The worst thing is that it tends to bend to one side even though it was straight when dh planted it. So with his instructions (remember until his accident I was NOT an outdoor/yardwork kind of gal?) and some help, I trimmed it back except for the very top...that will have to wait for now. At least it looks a little better as it would have been on the lawn on the one side if we hadn't cut it back.
I have changed so much since Joe's accident! I feel so good working outside! I'm amazed by my transformation!

Today's my "cheat" day...usually I really pig out but today I haven't wanted to mess up my diet and don't want to cause trouble to my body by spiking my bs, so just went over by 100 calories and my carbs are fine. So hopefully I am transforming in regards to my diet as well.

Patty - congrats on your weightloss and your good bs! Mine was 102 yesterday which is quite low for me and today I started out with a good bs but one hour after breakfast it was very high. Since I knew I ate right I couldn't figure it out then realized I'd forgotten to take my Metformin. Well, proves my diabetes as progressed to the point I actually do need the meds...I have doubted it in the past but no more. But with taking it and eating right my bs are not bad.

Last edited by maryea; 08-23-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #45  

Just a quick note before heading to bed. Been busy running around all day. Finally found a shade for the bedroom...it's a cheap one but it looks quiet nice and fits! That's the main thing. Then we went to a store in Portland where they install sliding doors and windows and we like them more than anyone else we have talked to so think they will probably be the ones we buy from. Hope to do that next month after Joe's eye surgery.

Well yesterday was cheat day as I stated in my last post...that means I allow myself to eat whatever I want and as much as I want as long as I don't go way over on carbs. I did pretty well yesterday but today I did go over and also didn't eat very healthy. Hopefully tomorrow will be better as my bs has been high all day.

We have caught two mice the last two days! And I said we didn't have any problem with mice! Well, we didn't...hadn't for years. Think it was the pesticide spraying. They told us that we might see some pests (didn't mention mice specifically though) as they start looking for new homes. If we catch another one tonight I'm going to call them to come out again. I have only found droppings under the sink mainly and a little bit in a couple drawers and one in the pantry. So I've been cleaning these places and also put out some mint. Didn't have any mint oil (would have put it on a cotton ball) so I just had to use the dried kind but it does smell. Hope it is strong enough. If we catch another one or see more droppings, not only will I call the company I think I'll get some moth balls tomorrow and put them outside along that wall too. The smell makes me so sick so hope I don't have to put it inside.
Closed Thread