Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #16  

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, I remember that they said if we took more than 400 U a day it could be toxic! Now they are encouraging so much!! Wow, things sure change...that's why it gets harder and harder to believe what you hear/read as you get older...you've heard so many things. But to me it makes sense that we were meant to be outside. Because of what man has done to the ozone layer I can also understand trying to stay inside during the hottest parts of the day, but to use sunscreen ALL the time and to avoid ALL sun does not make sense to me either. Well, I'm sure getting my fair share recently since my dh depends on me to do the yard work! I am quite light skinned and do get those ugly blotches when in the sun and have been concerned about skin ca, but yet I forget my sun screen. So I just go out and get a little Vit D and then go inside during the hottest parts of the day. I never used to like being in the sun but these days I am really enjoying it...it feels like a nice warm sauna...

ETA: Those of you who have read what the Braggs (father (now deceased) and dd) say...they always said to enjoy the sun. They have some strange (to me at least) ideas but who knows some of the others might be right too.

Last edited by maryea; 07-21-2010 at 08:35 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #17  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Yes, sometimes it is all worth a wry smile or two. What was "in" is now "out" and what was "out" is now "in" and around again.

Long sleeves, hat with a wide brim, stand in the shade. Our grandparents probably had it right.

I enjoy doing the yard work myself now. I try to do as much at sunrise as possible.

On a trip to New Zealand, I noticed at a mineral springs, that all the children had on UV-protective swimwear. Apparently it is a law there, up to a certain age, due to the ozone.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I had been exhaused for months even sleeping for 15-18 hours at a stretch a couple of times but all the "usual" test where normal and my PCP labeled it "fibromyaliga". When I again complaining of fatigue, this time to the orthopod, he checked my vit D level as part of my hip replacement pre op panel. I think 35 ng/ml is the lowest "normal" value. My result was 12ng/ml which is critically low.

This abnormal test resulted in being called at 11PM and sent to the hospital where I was admitted for several rounds of blood test and series of CT's to r/o occult (hidden) cancers. It was quite a scare especially since I had been in the hopsital for acute renal failture just a month earlier. I gained 14 pounds in three days then was dialyzed and started to pee again in 24 hours afterwards. The cause turned out to be the OTC nsaids which I have take n for years and years for arthritis pain.

I have been on 5000,000 units of vit D once a week (plus 400IU daily with calcium) for 5 weeks. I still have bouts of fatigue but I am feeling a million time better. But, really, there have been so many changes in such a short period that it's hard to say... I do suspect that there is a combination of reason for the improvments.

Last edited by nancymae; 08-07-2010 at 06:20 PM.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #19  

Height: 5'3"

Wow, what an experience! I'm glad you are feeling better now.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #20  
age 57

S/C/G: 170/ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

My doc said I was low in Vitamin D, too, & I started 1,000 units in Jan. My blood test in July indicated I'm much better, but I am still taking it.

I had wondered if there was a link to low Vitamin D and thyroid medication. But this study makes me realize there are other factors.

Thank you for the post.
AuntBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

I just saw my diabetes doctor today. Although I am taking D every day, I am still low. Doctor says that low D leads to diabetes, heart disease, and cancer - I have all 3!

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote