Old 05-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Arrow Daily Chatters' Bios

If you are a regular poster with the Daily Chat group, and are interested in sharing tidbits about yourself, please copy and paste this form to your own reply page. Fill in only the info that you are comfortable sharing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here:

Birthday and Age:

General Location:

Height:

Quotes(s) you live by:

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose?

What program are you following?

What is your biggest hurdle in losing?

How are you trying to overcome that?

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family:

Any pets?

What are your hobbies and interests?

What are your favorite movies and music?

Favorite authors:

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group?

Any other comments?

Last edited by Jane; 05-11-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

WHO YOU ARE

Name that you like to be called here: Jane

Birthday and Age: I'm 56, b'day is Sept. 11.

Occupation: Retired Human Resources Director. Now my job is to spoil my grandchildren.

General Location: Rural Southern Indiana

Height: 5'9"

Quote(s) you live by: 1)Never give up; 2)Be kind; 3) What happens at Grandma's, stays at Grandma's.

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? I'm trying for 100 pounds. I've lost before, very rigidly, and am losing it more realisticly this time, in hopes that when I reach maintenance I will be able to handle it.

What program are you following? Counting calories, and eating mostly whole foods, complex carbs, with an occasional treat.

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? After dinner munching has always been a problem for me, and so has emotional eating.

How are you trying to overcome that? I save calories for the evening, and if I am tempted to eat emotionally, I find something else to do, like come here, or call a friend. Crafting helps, too.

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family: I'm married to Neal; have 3 grown children, and am blessed with 8 grandchildren. I am the youngest of 7 daughters, no brothers. Family means so much to me, and my favorite times are those spent gathering with them.

Any pets? Yup, 2 dogs. We rescued Molly from the Pet Port - she's a mix, but mostly golden retriever, and is one of my best friends.. Then there's Lucy, who's part dauchund, and part beagle. She was dumped out near our road, so we took her in.

What are your hobbies and interests? I like anything to do with Walt Disney World, and am planning my 11th trip for next spring. I also like to read, garden, scrapbook, visit with friends, but most of all, I love spending time with my grandchildren. They rock!

What are your favorite movies and music? Some of the old movies I enjoy watching over and over again are any Disney classic,, most John Wayne westerns, Big, When Harry Met Sally, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and more. My music favorites are anything except jazz and rap. On my exercise playlists are oldies rock, classical, new country, & rock.

Favorite authors? Kristin Hannah, John Grisham, Sue Grafton, Maeve Binchy, Jodi Picoult, James Patterson, Barbara Delinsky, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Ed McBain, & more.

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? I like the people here, and really enjoy the encouragement and friendship. Together, you make up a great group!

Any other comments? I'm glad you are a part of my life.

Last edited by Jane; 05-11-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/204/150

Height: 5'7"

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here: Doris

Birthday and Age: August 8, currently 56

Occupation: Currently working as a reader/proofer at the State Legislature

General Location: 2 year degree, not enough credits for a 4 year

Height: 5'7"

Quotes(s) you live by: Live and let live.

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? 67#s

What program are you following? I'm just trying to eat healthier--no junk carbs, but I may have to start counting calories as well

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? Stress/emotional eater. Also when the legislature is in session we work horrible hours; no time to sleep or exercise properly.

How are you trying to overcome that? I'm not keeping the junk in the house; I'm going to get one of those bicycles to put under my desk before session starts. Can't do much about the sleep.

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family: I've been married 34 years to someone I met in High School. We moved from Illinois to Nevada 3 months after we married. We have 2 sons; one is a mech engineer and the other one is aspiring to work in film as an editor or director (I hope he's famous one day--payback time). He's in Vegas, but planning on relocating to LA in the fall. No DILs on the horizon yet. Our siblings are all over the country now (California, Texas, Florida, Arizona, Indiana, and Illinois).

Any pets? The only pets I have now are 2 box turtles; I've had the female since before my oldest was born; 30 years ago. They are getting ready to go outside for their summer vacation.

What are your hobbies and interests? I have over 100 flowering cacti in my sunroom--they'll be going out for their summer vacation with the turtles; I also like to garden. I love going on vacation; lately we've been going to So. Calif. I'm saving my overtime money from the next session and we are going to go to Florida or Hawaii (unless we decide to put a new roof on). We go fishing at a nearby lake almost every weekend in the summer, but DH catches and releases and I usually read.

What are your favorite movies and music? My favorite all-time movie is Pride and Prejudice (the A&E version). I love the classics and almost any ROM/COM. I like most music (not rap or heavy metal).

Favorite authors: Jane Austen, Lavyrle Spencer, and Ann Rule

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? I'm over 50 and I know when I successfully lost weight before I had a support group that kept me on track. Everyone here is very nice and encouraging.

Any other comments? I appreciate everything that Jane does for this group and I enjoy reading about everyone's lives.

Last edited by MaezieZ; 05-12-2010 at 03:49 PM.
MaezieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/207/160

Height: 5' 5"

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here: Pam

Birthday and Age: 8/2 52

General Location: Mid Michigan

Height: 5'5"

Quotes(s) you live by: To have something you have never had, you have to do something you have never done

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? 60#

What program are you following? Excercise and eating less, more fiber and less carbs and bad fats

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? junk/fast food

How are you trying to overcome that? not going to the fast food restaurants or buying junk food

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family: married 35+ yrs, 3 kids-2 girls, 1 boy, two grand daughters and a grand baby on the way in Sept!

Any pets? lots of barn cats, one black lab

What are your hobbies and interests? organic farming, cheese making

What are your favorite movies and music? Remember the Titans, oldies (60's and 70's)

Favorite authors: I read Christian fiction, also read Anne Rivers Siddons, Kristin Hannah, lots of others

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? some place where there are others who are in my age group and dealing with similar things: weight loss, menopause, etc.

Any other comments?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

Smile Bonnie's bio

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here: Bonnie

Birthday and Age: August 24th- 52

General Location:NC

Height:5'3"

Quotes(s) you live by:It is never too late to be the person you were meant to be. People change. I also love the serenity prayer. .

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? 30-40 pounds

What program are you following? currently trying to losely follow IE plan/ideas.

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? I bulk eat, food food, and am especially prone to eat too much in restaurants. I also like beer/wine most days. Not a ton, but even a glass or can adds up.

How are you trying to overcome that? Enjoying one or two small drinks in the evening/with a meal. Enjoying the slight relax, but not trying to go past that.

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family:I have 3 nearly grown kids. Two are home now for the summer, but we should be empty nesters again in the fall.

Any pets? Four. 2 dogs, 2 cats. We also love feeding birds and I recently (last year) started learning to ride horses.

What are your hobbies and interests? Mainly reading. I always have a book or 3 going and listen to audible books on the road.

What are your favorite movies and music? Love The Big Easy, Matchmaker, Lord of the Rings (ff the hobbits now), Elizabethtown. Listen to oldies, country, alternative music.

Favorite authorsiana Gabaldon, Lois McMaster Bujold, Patricia Briggs

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? When I decided to stop formally dieting or at least take a few months break from it, I missed my old WW board friends and support.

Any other comments?

Last edited by bonnie824; 05-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.
bonnie824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #6  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here: Tammy

Birthday and Age: 8-22-1958 will be 52

General Location: south Louisiana, Canjun Country

Height:5'3"

Quotes(s) you live by: Jesus, I Trust in You!

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? 115

What program are you following? Lightweigh and Eden Diet, basically the same program, with Lightweigh being more Catholic.

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? Myself

How are you trying to overcome that? Self control

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family: Husband of 33 years, Donald, one son Donald Jr. DIL Theresa

Any pets? Rat Terrier

What are your hobbies and interests? Reading, painting when time allows, playing ma jong on lap top at night with hubby

What are your favorite movies and music? Anything by Secret Garden, I like the band BOND too! UP is one of my favorite movies.

Favorite authors: Secular: Elizabeth Peters, and many Christian writers.

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? well I am fat and 50+

Any other comments? You are all such a blessing!!!!

Last edited by Jane; 06-25-2010 at 04:26 PM.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here: Carol

Birthday and Age: 3-15-49-61

Occupation: Retired--Worked as a classroom Special Education Aide for 1st-8th grades for 22 years.

General Location: Lancaster, CA Desert and not enough clouds or green for me!

Quotes(s) you live by: Never give up! & If you always look back...you won't have a future!

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? 23 pounds

What program are you following? Wendy Chant, Fight the Fat Loss Code

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? Losing and gaining the same 3 pounds over a period of months!

How are you trying to overcome that? Watching every morsel that passes into my mouth, drinking my water and exercising more.

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family: Husband Ray of 42 years. We have two daughters, Diana and Deborah. Diana has 4 girls, one set of twins in there. What a surprise that was! Deborah has a step son. Deborah works for the health department near Denver. Diana is a sign language interpreter for high school students and plays the piano for many of our local stage theaters in the area.

Just bought a motorcycle and plan on taking a few weekend trips up the coast or in the mountains. Can't get much in the small suitcase.

Any pets? No

What are your hobbies and interests? I'm an early riser so enjoy reading in the mornings. I enjoy sewing and gardening, but mostly I Tole Paint. Took my first class in '81 and it's such a passion of mine now. I enjoy painting stepping stones, and jeans shirts, but mostly I enjoy painting on wood. My husband built me a wood shop in the back yard so I can cut my own projects the size I want. I started selling on Ebay about 6 years ago, but now I sell my things on Bonanzle. Enjoy meeting people from all over through that venue. Taught painting in the garage for about 10 years and taught at the local shops in our area, but all have gone out of business. I enjoy painting gifts for friends. I started painting personalized ornaments for the grand kids 20 years ago and that's become a lot of fun for me. When I was working, I painted more teacher pins.

What are your favorite movies and music? I enjoy watching old movies. I like country and elevator music. Just depends on my mood.

Favorite authors: I enjoy reading mysteries and authors listed on Cozy Library.

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? Thought this site would have more interests than ladies that are younger. At this age, most are fighting menopause, the mid life middle and just trying to keep exercise in our daily lives.

Any other comments? I don't get on every day, but enjoy reading everyone's posts. It's very encouraging hearing how successful everyone is. It gives me hope I'll reach my goal. Every one is so helpful and sharing!

Thank you Jane for spending so much time over here and sticking near by all the time and sending encouraging thought my way.
Carolis60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #8  

Talking Me

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here: Debbie

Birthday and Age:02/14/1955 55years old

General Location: nw of Ft Worth Texas

Height:5'6
YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? 80lbs now

What program are you following? calorie counting

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? All the men in my life who want to eat out all the time

How are you trying to overcome that? Cooking more fast food type foods for them at home in a healthier way. That way I can cook me something I want.

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family:Me DH and 2 grown sons (still at home) and 1 grandson.

Any pets? 1-13lb rotten chihuahua, and a herd of ferral cats.

What are your hobbies and interests? none really. I turned into a boring person.

What are your favorite movies and music? I love romantic comedies and classic rock music

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? After reading a few posts I think I will fit in.

Any other comments?

Last edited by Debbie; 05-19-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here: My name is Patricia, but go by Trish

Birthday and Age: Aug 22, 1943... 66 yrs young

General Location: Rock Hill, SC

Height: 5' 3"

Quotes(s) you live by: I will eat to Live not live to eat. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Heard someone say recently "If you are doing 90% right, why worry about the 10% you don't do right? Just do what you can." I think that is great thought for those of us who think we have to be perfect 100% of the time and know we can't be.

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY Oh my, I think I've been on every diet out there, if not I haven't heard of it. I've lost weight over the years but never reached goal. I would love to do that this time. Just don't know why I always let myself put it back own. Would love to lose reaching goal and keep it off this time.

How much weight are you trying to lose? 102 lbs.

What program are you following? Atkins Nutritional Plan

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? In the past it has been boring making it difficult to stay with a plan.

How are you trying to overcome that? Since nothing is really forbidden with IE/Eden Diet, I see no reason to be bored.

FUN STUFF

Tell us about your family. I was born, raised and lived until I married Tony. I have a DD who lives in AR and a GS who is in the Navy stationed in GA. Tony's DD lives in FL with her family and his DS lives in IN.

Any pets? No, we decided to enjoy the pets of others... children and friends.

What are your hobbies and interests? I like to read self help and Christian books. I used to love to read romantic books with happy endings, but don't have time to read them any more. probably because I spend too much time playing games on pc and I enjoy watching movies with DH.

What are your favorite movies and music? I love all music Christian, country, classical & the oldies etc except heavy metal. Movies are like music, I don't have a favorite, because I like many different kinds such as drama, some sci-fi but not scary ones and romantic as well as some documentary ones like the life of queens, kings etc. And I love a good Comedy.

Favorite authors: No real favorites, in Christian books, I enjoy Joyce Meyer and Beth Moore's books.

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? I knew Jane from another thread and accepted her invite. Like being with the 50+.

Any other comments? I don't post everyday, but try to read what's happening with others on this journey.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 07-20-2010 at 10:51 AM.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

Name that you like to be called here:Coralee

Birthday and Age:02/28/1946 64

Occupation:retired. Former mental health counselor 1997/2004/ air line sales agent for Northwest airlines 1994/2008 librarian 1971-1994

General Location: Tampa FL
Height:5' 2"

Quotes(s) you live by:what is the compassionate thing to do?//the ways are two: love and the want of love. lao tse

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose?165 pounds

What program are you following?portion control and food and exercise logging

What is your biggest hurdle in losing?complacency/ boredom/loneliness

How are you trying to overcome that? communicating with this online group
not giving up
FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family: oh dear. was in straight marriage for 16 years. have 2 daughters 37 and 35 and one grand daughter. ex husband was great friend and support person. he died in 1997. was in a ltr (long term relationship) for about 20 years. now single but hopeful. I have a sister in WA.

Any pets?yes have cats.. waaaaaay to many cats.

What are your hobbies and interests?I do needlework, specifically cross stitch. I am an avid reader. I garden sporadically.

What are your favorite movies and music? Movies? 12 angry men , Castaway, Inherit the Wind, Fried Green tomatoes Music? I am deaf, so don't listen to music anymore. Used to love classical and movie sound tracks.

Favorite authors: goodness way to many to mention. voracious reader mostly mysteries and chick lit

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? need support and understanding as I finally get honest and get healthy. don't do well in live groups now because cannot communicate well

Any other comments? I am a practicing Buddhist and a lesbian. I worry that coming out will cause the members of the group to shun me.

Last edited by chicpanda; 05-30-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: cant spell
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Name that you like to be called here: Linda

Birthday and Age: I'm 58, and my birthday is Nov. 7

General Location: western Phila. suburbs

Height: 5'1"

Quote(s) you live by: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? Ideally, 20 lbs. But I'd even be happy with 10-15 more pounds. Problem is, I've been struggling with these final pounds for several years now.

What program are you following? The South Beach Diet plan.

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? I love my family and food, and I always associate good times with good food. A meal doesn't seem complete without dessert, and, in the summer, a day isn't complete without ice cream involved.

How are you trying to overcome that? I'm trying to find diet-friendly alternatives that I can enjoy without guilt.

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family: Jake and I celebrated our 41st anniversary in April. We have a daughter, Monica, who is married to Eric, and they have two daughters - Caitlyn 19, and Carley 5, and live in NJ. Our son, Dustin, is married to Andrea, and they have Amber 9, and Tyler 2 1/2, and they live about 2 miles from us. My parents also live nearby, and I am their oldest and only daughter, and I have 2 younger brothers. We are a large, close-knit family, who try to get together often, and our family is growing in leaps and bounds.

Any pets? No. Cleaning up after my DH is about all I can handle.

What are your hobbies and interests? I'm an avid reader, and I love gardening both flowers and vegetables. During the colder months, I also love to work on cross-stitch and needlepoint. I also enjoy making crafts with my grandchildren and the girls that I nanny to.

What are your favorite movies and music? I love Gone With the Wind, Out of Africa, It Happened One Night, Sleepless in Seattle, and the old Disney classics. For music, I prefer classical, showtunes, and the oldies from the 50s -70s.

Favorite authors? Maeve Binchy, Margaret Pilcher, Barbara Delinsky, Luanne Rice, Debbie Macomber, Kristen Hannah, Nora Roberts, Diana Gabaldon. I'm just getting into Jodi Piccoult, too, and just finished reading a fantastic book of hers, House Rules. I also love Wanda Brunstetter and Janet Okes, and their books about the Amish lifestyles.

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? I like the people here, and really enjoy the encouragement and friendship of people of my own age group.

Any other comments? This is the 5th time I've attempted to post my bio here. And today, I've already been interrupted no less than 3 times!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 05-31-2010 at 11:23 AM.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #12  

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here: Mary or Maryea is fine

Birthday and Age: 02/15 is my birthday and I am 67

General Location: NW, USA

Height: Almost 5'4"

Quotes(s) you live by:
Treat others the way you want to be treated.

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? Not sure yet..at least 20 and probably 30.

What program are you following? I count calories and carb servings. I am a type 2 diabetic.

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? My large appetite and being inconsistent in restricting my calories.

How are you trying to overcome that? I am very gradually changing my mindset as it has become very important for me to get my eating under control for my health and I also can't bear having such a big belly any more. I think my desperate desire to feel thin, light and freer is making me change my ways. I also want to glorify my Lord and don't feel I can do that as well when I am a glutton. Reading my Bible and praying seems to help me if I do it when I'm hungry and know I don't need food. I stay there until the hunger passes. But if I'm watching TV sometimes I neglect to do this. I have also been tracking my eating/calories, nutrition in Calorie King software for sometime now but posting it on this site seems to help even more. I feel more accountable because I hate to post when I eat like a pig!

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family: It's just my dh and I now and we are both retired. We have 4 grown children and expecting our 9th gc in Oct.

Any pets? No

What are your hobbies and interests? I love to read. My favorite books are the Bible and Bible-study type inspirational books but I also love to read mysteries and try to figure out who did it. I'm pretty good at figuring most of them out too! LOL

What are your favorite movies and music? Not sure about movies...used to love Giant and Ghost, but rarely see a movie I really love these days. I like Old-type Gospel, most contemporary Christian and country best but I enjoy most music.

Favorite authors: Too many...most any of the mystery writers. Beth Moore is a favorite Christian writer.

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? For motivation and friendship.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #13  

Smile Newbie looking for support, recipies

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here: Founditatlast

Birthday and Age:
4.21.1953 57

General Location: central CA

Height: 5'9"

Quotes(s) you live by: Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? 209 lbs.

What program are you following? Fat To Skinny, low Carb diet

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? lack of activity

How are you trying to overcome that? Trying to increase my activity level a little at a time.

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family: Caregiver to my Mother who has Alzheimer's and 4 teen foster girls and two dogs

Any pets? Two dogs

What are your hobbies and interests? Embroidery , sewing, crafts.

What are your favorite movies and music? Autumn Rush, Christian easy listening.

Favorite authors: Don't read much

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? Support

Any other comments? Not yet.

Last edited by founditatlast; 06-19-2010 at 11:36 AM.
founditatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #14  
blissful

S/C/G: 199/189.0/192.4/150

Height: 5'6"

Name that you like to be called here: Bliss

Birthday and Age: April 1st - 59

General Location: NC

Height:5'6"

Quotes(s) you live by: Be true to yourself

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose? 40-50 pounds

What program are you following? none

What is your biggest hurdle in losing? eating with family and knowing we are ALL such good cooks

How are you trying to overcome that? smaller portions but usually go for secondes of the best plates just because it tastes so good. I got quite sick in March and know I need to drop the weight. At present, the family is being very supportive and also interested in losing some weight so we are sharing more main courses and skipping deserts. That is helping a lot.

FUN STUFF
Husband is wonderful, been together since high school. Loves me thin or fat. Three grown children and a granddaughter who is 5 and the greatest joy.

Any pets?
Birds (large and small) and a dog

What are your hobbies and interests? Working many hours to try to catch up on some pressing bills. Like to cook, read, sew, spend time with the family. Not much outside the home.

What are your favorite movies and music? Wizard of Oz, Dancing with Wolves, Hippie music

Favorite authors: Read some true crime and some fiction, not crime but heartwarming stuff

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group? I am over 50 and want to see if being here can help me lose and maintain.
blissfulinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

WHO YOU ARE
Name that you like to be called here:

Colleen or Kaplods, either is fine

Birthday and Age:
3/20/66 44 years

Disabled.

My last job was as a computer programmer, though my degrees (B.A. and M.A.) and most of my job history was in the field of psychology, law enforcement and social service.

I love to write (have about half dozen started novels), and would love to get paid for it, at some point.

General Location:

Northcentral Wisconsin

Height: Currently 5'6" (I've lost nearly an inch)

Quotes(s) you live by:
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
Oscar Wilde
The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. -- Plutarch

YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
How much weight are you trying to lose?

Just one more pound (up to 160 more times).

What program are you following?

A patchwork quilt of my own design. My food plan is a low-carb exchange plan, but try to make Primal/Paleo choices (in a nutshell, I avoid grains).

Books that have been extremely inspirational Refuse to Regain by Barbara Berkely, The End of Overeating by David Kessler, and Primal Bluepring by Mark Sisson (there's about a dozen others, but these are the most recent).

What is your biggest hurdle in losing?

Making new habits. Even though I know my old strategies don't work, it's still true that old habits are hard to break. Replacing 4 decades of ineffective dieting strategies isn't easy.

How are you trying to overcome that?

Talking to myself (writing in my weight loss/health journal to remind myself).
Sticker charts (silly, but I'm as proud of my weight sticker chart as I ever was a gold star in kindergarten).

FUN STUFF
Tell us about your family:

My husband and I are both on disability (we weren't when we met in 2001).
We've been married almost 9 years.

Any pets?

A fat middle-aged cat named ChubChub (her formal name is IgmuTanka Sioux for great cat or mountain lion). She weighed about 20 lbs when we brought her home. Like hubby and I, she's dieting too (and complains about it more than we do).

What are your hobbies and interests?

Just about everything. I read voraciously (I can finish two 300 to 400 page books in a day). And I love trying different crafts. Right now, I'm mostly crocheting and knitting, although I also like making character dolls from discarded barbies (mermaids, fairies, centaurs....) I also like to write and am working on a novel (I have a hard time getting past the third chapter though, so I have about six or seven started novels. At about chapter three I usually get "a better idea."

What are your favorite movies and music?

The Shrek movies, science fiction/fantasy in general. I collect irish and other celtic music across generes (folk songs to punk, it it's got a celtic beat, there's a good chance I'll like it).
Favorite authors:

What made you decide to join the Age 50+ Daily Chat group?

Jane's invitation. Although hubby and I are only in our 40's, our health issues and lifestyle are that of people chronologically decades older. Hubby calls it "forced retirement." Some might call it premature aging (I prefer the term precocious).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote