Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #46  

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the welcome fellow 50's chatters. Great scale Information Carol. I don't imagine I am totally getting rid of mine, just moving to weekly weighing and later monthly.
We went walking in the park last night with the dogs and my 3 year old (not yet but..) grandaughter. Not a lot of real excercise, but it was fun and we did break a sweat anyway.
Strawberries are in here and we bought a quart from someone at work freshly picked that morning. So delicious. We will be eating them tonight too and probably tomorrow.
Have a nice Cinco de Mayo. BBL.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 220/204/150

Height: 5'7"

Carol: Thanks for the info about the scale--I need to print that and read it every time I'm unhappy with the number I see.

DH and I are having a disagreement so I'm not very jolly today, but I'm still trying to stay on plan (I'm a stress and emotional eater but I know I really won't be happy with the scale if I don't keep myself in check).

Nice to have somewhere to come for information and a feeling of community!

Have a good day all!

Doris
Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 223/207/160

Height: 5' 5"

I am going to try and catch up some. I have had internet problems the last several days and have been farming-at home and at the neighboring farm.
My daughter who is a nanny was here for several days and we got part of the garden planted. She went home on Monday and that also was the last day of me watching my grand daughter (her sitter had a baby in Jan). So I should have lots of time right??? LOL. I have been walking with my friends every morning-6 days a week, we don't walk on Sunday. I had a dr appt yesterday and haven't lost any and my cholesterol is over 300! highest its ever been so he wants me on med for it, my hubby isn't happy with that, he doesn't like drugs, and our naturopath says cholesterol is ok- well, I am going on a half dose of crestor for 3 months, I took it back in 2006 and didn't have any trouble with it, I can't take lipitor or vytorin (i think that is what it is called). my dr is the same age as me and he has just lost 30 pounds and says to keep up the excercise and he is sure with that and watching my food intake I can get it down quickly.
so that is my whats going on here, I am making more of an effort to eat better and eat more veggies and fruits.
Pam
Old 05-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #49  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Pam Nice to hear from you. Where I am from you have to specify when you talk about being a "Nanny" because we call our Godmothers "Nanny".

Good for you for eating more fruits and veggies, I need to work on that myself.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #50  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Carol - thanks for sharing the info! I get weighed au natural, after my potty break, first thing in the morning. Saturday is the day I write it down, although there are so many fluctuations during the week.

lilithb - how's the calorie counting coming along? Like Carol's article said - just keep drinking water to try and flush some of the sodium out. I hope your foot is better soon. That will make such a difference for you!

TracyWay - yw! Hope you're feeling more energetic today. Just wondering - are you getting enough protein? I feel so much better when I have a full serving of protein at every meal, and cut down on the carbs. I'm so glad you joined our group!

Bonnie - I have a grandson who just turned 3 on Sunday. He is very energetic and keeps me on my toes when he's here, lol. Your romp in the park sounds like lots of fun. Strawberries.... mmmmm! I can barely wait until ours are ready, which will be closer to the end of the month.

Doris - As a fellow emotional eater, I know just how hard you're struggling to stay OP while being upset, and want to say you are a smart woman to see the long-range effects of stay OP during it. When I get upset and want to eat because of it, I think to myself that if I eat, then I'll have 2 problems: the first one, then also a new one of being off-program! Sometimes it's not easy, though. Like you, I think it's so nice to be able to come here and share/vent.

Pam - you are doing such a good job with the walking! Hopefully, the medication will help your cholesterol problems. Do you like oatmeal? It really is good for helping to lower cholesterol. Just a thought. How have you been spending your extra time? If you're like me, there just aren't enough hours in the day to do what we want, after we do what we need to do.

Hello to all others.

I'm doing so much better, with handling the grief. The book I mentioned awhile back, and guidance from a mentor at my church have given me insight. A feeling of acceptance and peace is coming over me. Having each of you helps me, too, much more than you know.

Question - would you of this group like for me to start a Sticky at the top of this forum for a Bio page for us? I'd be happy to do that, if you want it. I think it would help us get to know each other better, especially as new members join us.

Have a good day!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hello Everybody

Gee I've been MIA for a while and feel like a Newbie myself asI see how this little group has really grown. A lot of Newbies. Sorry I don't have time to catch up. I will have to get to know everyone when I get back from our trip.

This is just a quick drop in to say hello to everyone and I'm still around, I'm just not on the computer much any more. Just trying to enjoy other areas of life. We are getting ready to leave the end of next week to go see the new grandson. Since economy is as it is and we don't travel like we used to, we decided to make a little vacation out of it. We always try to see some new thing I haven't seen in FL. Going to Seaworld in Orlando this time and maybe Silver Springs. We always say we are going to Silver Springs when we go to Ocala to see Tony's first wife's Mom, but end up spending so much time with her that we never make it. Maybe this time we'll do it. Depends on how I do with the walking in Orlando.

Have to get my hair done Tuesday with a new beautician. Mine is sick and has had to cancel out on me the last 2 appointments. I had the girl next to her station cut my hair and I like the cut, but she didn't seem to want to do anything. Had to make her curl it a little bit and she didn't seem to want to use her hairspray. So I don't trust her to do a perm or anything else. I always notice she never seemed to have many customers so I guess I know why. One of my neighbors wears her hair like I do so going to try out her beautician. So keep your fingers crossed for me.

Making new changes. I'm one of those who has let my weight hold me back from so many things the past few years and I've decided to change that and get out and do more... kind of come out of myself and get busy. It might even help with some weight loss. I think living here with no family around has not been really great for me. I used to get out and do things with friends and family and that stopped when we came to SC. The ladies in my neighborhood like to get out and do things together. And our neighborhood likes to get together for cookouts and things. Some of that isn't my thing, but I'm thinking maybe I should do it any way. I've ordered some new clothes for the trip which will be nice to wear for gatherings.

So when I get back I'm going to get my house fixed up so I can have people in for coffee, tea or whatever and just visit. Tony and I have met people in our church we would like to socialize with and we head up an on-line prayer ministry in our church. I've been thinking we need to come out of ourselves and open up and get to know our prayer partners or at least meet them. So we need to make the moves and invite these people into our home.

I really think this will help me get moving as I become more active and it just might help me with the weight loss. I know it would get my mind off of food all the time, except for when entertaining, which has got to be good for me in a lot of ways not just weight loss. Strange but when I'm in a party situation, I find I eat very little if anything because I'm so busy visiting with people.

My weight loss seems to fluctuate. I did decide that even though I basically follow a lot of IE ideas that I needed the WW structure with it. Is that a "diet" mentality? It might be, but I finally decided that this whole thing with food has to be personal and since we don't fit into a "one size fits all" when it comes to how we eat and lose weight that we have to learn what works for us as individuals. I seem to have gotten past the "burnout" stage I was in about counting points so I have my limit of pts. I remember the Wendy's thing that people do where they zigzag their calories or pts to jump start their weight loss and decided with that in mind that I could be a little more flexible with my pts. For the most part I try to stay right around a certain amount of pts. If I have a day I'm not too hungry, I may eat less or there may be a day like yesterday when I was hungry almost all day and I ate more. That is where my IE comes in. I've noticed that some foods do not satisfy so I end up hungrier those days so I will try to eat a little more when I eat those foods. I don't think everything is a trigger food as much as 1 serving of some foods isn't enough. EXample, yesterday was a busy day and I started out earlier. I have gotten to where I eat half a serving of oatmeal for breakfast, yesterday I should have had a whole serving. Our main meal was fish sticks. I found out that 4 fish sticks which is a serving just did not last. Since I'm counting pts and I didn't eat enough at breakfast, I should have had a serving and a half of the fish sticks. I just have to learn to pay moe attention to how much or how little I need depending on what is going on around me. I think it is so much more than just about the food. Maybe sometimes when we think we are overeating, maybe we are not. Maybe we just hear the message our body is sending more. We just have to realize that and not let it become one of those "I blew it so I may as well have more" things and give up.

Well, I've rambled long enough. Sorry my quick drop in became loooonng. I will try to catch up on reading and getting to know everybody when we get back in a couple of weeks and try to hang out with y'all more.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 05-06-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #52  

Good afternoon all. The air quality/pollen is kicking our butts here in NW-NC, plus it will be 90 soon but I took some ibuprofen and coffee (in the nice AC at work) and feel fine now. Happily I am following the respect your body advice of IE and wearing comfortable fitting clothes.
Pam, in my family we're the opposite about meds. My husband takes high bloodpressure and cholesterol stuff and I won't. I have good blood pressure anyway, which is the more dangerous. I am at the cholesterol level that use to be good and then "they" lowered it. Everyone has to make their own choices though about how much and which meds they are willing to take. I will take anything if in pain, for instance, and my husband resists that.

Jane, I hate to bring up sadness, but I'm new and unaware what your grief came from. Is it new? I lost both parents this decade (2004 and 2008) and had a son in major trouble, but now I seem to be gradually coming back to the naturally happy person I am/was. Not a fast process, but at least time does what it does.

Trish, did you ever try Core/Simply Filling? I moved into that from points before switching to IE/stopping dieting. It is kind of intuitive, just not for sugar/fat or white carbs.

Have a nice afternoon.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Evening everyone,
Had a good day today, didn't make it over to the pool, but tomorrow dh and I are golfing, so maybe doing 18 holes will count for something. There's a special that Mothers get to play for free. Yippee!!

Doris--Me too!! Reading it every day might help when my scale goes up too!

Jane--I weigh after one cup of coffee just before I step in the shower. This morning the numbers were down 2.2 pounds. Yeah!! We'll see what happens tomorrow. Scale likes to mess with my head!

Yesterday dh went golfing with his dad of 92 years and then ate lunch at Jack in the Box. He felt queasy a little while after he got home. Found out he ate french fries, a grilled burger, and a regular Dr. Pepper. He usually follows my woe, so I think it was too much sugar or too much caffeine. He started feeling better after he ate a decent dinner with little fat and lots of veggies.

I think that would be nice to have a Sticky Jane. Thank you for thinking of it.

Doris-- I'm an emotional eater too..but I'm better than I use to be. I eat at any celebration and head for the cake first. Anything sweet is my thing. Finally had to get my head together and start thinking a different way. A more healthy way!!

I love oatmeal, but I can eat a half or a whole cup and my brain reacts the same with either amount....I'm starving in about an hour! My brain thinks of sweet things I can have. So I stay away from oatmeal, hash browns, and most sugars. Don't have too much fruit either. I like some frozen ones in my summer protein shakes. Lately, I've been hooked on chocolate protein shakes and add a little cinnamon to it. It sure make it yummy!

Trish--I agree with getting out with your neighbors, and enjoying their company when you have the time. We can become such hermits in our own 4 walls. After a while, we don't want to go out at all. I try to fix myself up and go to lunch a couple times a month with friends. Feels good to go out in public and feel good about yourself.
Break the ice and become more social with your church group. You'll make a lot of friends. Be fun having the girls over for lunch or even make it a pot luck. We all like to cook!!

The YMCA had a pot luck for the ladies who go to the water aerobics class. There were 24 that came and we all introduced ourselves. We had a great time visiting for a little while. Usually we don't talk while we're in the pool. Everyone enjoyed it, so they're planning one every two months.

Are you talking about Wendy Chant? That's the program I'm on and I love it. Kinda confusing at first, but asked questions on her forum and figured out how it all works. I bought her book on Amzn, and it really made sense to me. I've lost 21 pounds that I thought I would never lose, now I'm trying for the last ten. It's slow, but I'm a happy camper eating this way. Yes, we do zigzag a little and that's why I'm still on the program. We can have a few days eating most things and life goes on.

Your post was a long one, but I enjoyed reading it. Have a wonderful vacation!!

We're planning a few vacations for the summer, so I'll have to watch it a lot more while we're traveling. We always tend to eat too much, then sit in the car for the days drive. Not good!! I'm not one for eating in restaurants all the time. I wish we were taking the trailer so I can take my own food, but the car will be much faster and less stressful on dh. Thinking of going to Louisiana for a week. Then a week in August to Colorado to see our daughter. Camping at the beach next month. So this summer will be a challenge for sure. Tomorrow is Chinese dinner, helping our grand daughter celebrate her 17th BD. Then on the 21st, celebrating the twins 14th BD.
This is a bad month!! Lets not forget Mothers Day on Sunday.

Going to take one day at a time and do my best! Get in my water and try!

Everyone have a great day tomorrow!! It's Friday!
Carol
Old 05-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #54  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Trish - I hope you like the way the new stylist does your hair. I only wish I could fix my hair the same way my stylist does. Guess that's why she's the expert, not me. I like all the new ideas you have for getting on with life, and I think they will bring you joy. Your trip sounds like lots of fun - I know you can barely wait to hold that new baby.

Bonnie - the grief I spoke of is due to the early death of my nephew, Jeff. He had a massive heart attack last September, and in trying to revive him, he lost oxygen for too long and suffered extreme brain damage. Then he passed away March 13. Although I had been praying for his suffering to be over, it was still so very hard to deal with. He was my oldest sister's son, and only 6 years younger than me, so I grew up with him and his siblings. I truly had no idea this would be so hard, but I'm doing much better. I see you've had some sad times, too, and I'm so glad that you are doing better. I suppose at our ages, most of us here have had many difficult times to deal with over the years. Btw, I like what you said about respecting our bodies.

Carol - I like the idea of your Y having the potluck. How fun! Social interaction is so important to keep us from being isolated. I often have lunch and do things with friends, but had slacked off over the winter, so I'm making an intentional effort to reconnect.

Hello to anyone else reading this.

The sticky I was talking about would be one where we tell a little about ourselves. If any you are interested, let me know.

My scales said I lost 8.5 pounds overnight, lol. Oh, if only that were possible! Three other attempts gave me 3 different readings, so I guess it's time for a new battery.

DGD Caylin will be here this weekend, and I sure am looking forward to that! Not sure if I'll get to check in before Sunday, so I'll say.....

Happy Mother's Day!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #55  

Hi all. TGIF. I'm at work and it's workish work today, so am just popping by to say hello then off to eat the leftovers I saved from lunch yesterday (eat till satisfied plan) and back to writing a report. BBL.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 223/207/160

Height: 5' 5"

Hi everyone, I have been busy farming this week and running for parts. It is raining today, so I think I will have a few days off, which by the look of my house I need it!
my walking has been going well, if its not raining too hard in the morning we are going and then heading to a farmer's mkt, our local mkt doesn't open for another 4 weeks (I usually take eggs and beef to that one from our farm, along with my daughters' soap products, aprons and stuff)
we had sad news with the death of my hubby's cousin-he was only about 40, very obese his adult life, its so sad, cause he had lost some, he leaves his wife and two daughters 9 and 12. they think he had a massive heart attack, gave me the incentive I needed not to stop for a soda while on a parts run this morning. please say a prayer for them if you are so inclined.
its cold along with the rain and I have a fire lit again in our outdoor wood burner!
I am not a fussy person when it comes to my hair, but the last cut she cut my bangs way too short-ah well, it will grow back.
my hubby has noticed that I am doing better since I started walking with friends, I see people at church Wed and Sun and we have a close group of farming friends-but the one on one or three and three is great, I also think I have a bit of depression with the cloudy days of winter.
I need to do some shopping for a few new outfits, we have two weddings coming up this summer, hoping to lose a few more pounds before I spend the money.
Jane, I would like that sticky!
Have a great weekend and enjoy celebrating mother's day-hug your mom if you can!
Pam
Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #57  

EVERYBODY HAVE A VERY HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Happy Mother's Day everyone! Enjoy the weekend!

We went out last night to help celebrate one of our grand daughters BD. Went to one of those places where they cook the food in front of you and do tricks with the utensils. Food was delicious and of course to salty I'm sure. Not weighing today, I know the scale had to go up. I had shrimp, scallops, fried rice, veggies, and a glass of wine. Not my normal dinner.

Decided we need to exchange my motorcycle jacket for a different one, so we're heading off to do more shopping. I'll tired of all this shopping! Want to be done with it. This is cutting into my painting time. LOL

Did go golfing yesterday and had a great time. I'm getting better, but it's very slow. Need to golf every week or at least hit a bucket of balls to get practice. It's a hard sport to learn. Fun riding in the cart though.

Carol
Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #59  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolis60 View Post
Evening everyone,
Trish--Are you talking about Wendy Chant? That's the program I'm on and I love it. Kinda confusing at first, but asked questions on her forum and figured out how it all works. I bought her book on Amzn, and it really made sense to me. I've lost 21 pounds that I thought I would never lose, now I'm trying for the last ten. It's slow, but I'm a happy camper eating this way. Yes, we do zigzag a little and that's why I'm still on the program. We can have a few days eating most things and life goes on.
Yes, this is what I'm talking about. I looked up her website and printed out her suggestion and am using it. I won't be able to count pts while on trip, however, I think I can still kind of do it by eating less some days and more others. I think I can do it using IE. I'll see how it goes and let y'all know when I get back.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 220/204/150

Height: 5'7"

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE!

Nothing new here--scale is staying steady, but I figure I lost so much in the first 2 weeks it has to catch up and be real weight loss. We had Mother's Day lunch yesterday at Olive Garden so I really didn't expect to lose anything--those darn breadsticks! (At least I didn't gain) But I'm trying to only celebrate real holidays now and Mother's Day qualifies.

Going to work out in the yard--at least until it starts raining. I had to stop feeding the birds because of that pesky peacock and I'm afraid he's going to be bugging me to feed him. I just keep telling him it's his own fault for scratching DH's car.

Have a lovely day everyone!

Doris
Closed Thread