3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Quilters, Crafters, and Chatters for Weight Loss #2

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #16

S/C/G: 178/164/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigrace View Post
My name is Marie and I have been hanging around these boards for a few months now.... I just stumbled onto your little crafting nook...I love working with my hands too, so I thought I would say Hi !
Hello Marie,
It's always nice to see another crafter.

Are you making hats in the picture?

Carolis
Old 01-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #17

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Oh hi, I wasjust downstairs getting a cup of tea, Carolis. ....Yes that is what I am doing in the pic....I like doing alot of other things...soaps, herbal skin treatments..and probably too many other things too...what doyou like making ?

My etsy shop :
www.etsy.com/shop/moxiealleysoaps?ref=si_shop
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Oh hi, I wasjust downstairs getting a cup of tea, Carolis. ....Yes that is what I am doing in the pic....I like doing alot of other things...soaps, herbal skin treatments..and probably too many other things too...what doyou like making ?
Oh, I fell in love with tole painting back in the early 80's and now I can't get the brush out of my hand.
I started out taking the classes, then moved to cutting my own wood and making all my country presents for friends.
Then it moved to selling pins at school to teachers.
When our first grand daughter was born I wanted to give her some ornaments from grandma Carol, so I got into the personalized ornaments.
I love to paint on stepping stones, jeans blouses, canvas, rusty tin....you name it, I've painted on it. Glass isn't my forte'. I can skip that. But wood is my favorite.
I've been playing around with signs and shelf sitters. Having fun with these. It's never ending. I was a book and pattern holic, so I have plenty of patterns to choose from.
Sold on ebay for 5 years, now am elsewhere.
I love to sew too, but painting always gets in the way.
I retired a year ago, so I can paint my day away between house chores.
My daughter loves to scrap and that's fun, but I'm to slow.
It's been great being able to do this and not sit around and nibble all day!
Well, better start dinner. What state are you in?
Carolis
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
Happy Member

Hi, Everyone:

I'd like to join your happy little crafting group.

I am a crocheter mostly, although I also knit, do counted cross stitch, etc.

Currently I am crocheting little stuffed teddy bears about 12" tall, then knitting or crocheting little outfits for them. If our church has a Christmas bazaar next November, I will have the little bears to donate. If there is no Christmas bazaar, rescue agencies are always looking for such items to give to children in need.

The crafting helps keep my hands out of the cookie jar. Weight-wise I lost about 60 lbs. over the past 10 years, and I don't want to gain it back.

Nice meeting you all.

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old

Last edited by JoJoJo2 : 01-06-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:35 AM   #20

I am in the mountains about two hours north and west of New York City.

My etsy shop :
Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #21

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Marie and JoJoJo, and welcome!

Marie, I've driven through the Catskills on several occasions, and it's a gorgeous area. Remote, yet close enough to the big city, too. You have the best of both worlds.

JoJoJo, your teddy bear project sounds like fun, and what a great idea you have for them! Congratulations on the weight loss, it's a constant battle, isn't it?

Jane, you did tell me you lived in Germany. We were stationed in Augsburg from 1974-1981, and I loved every minute of it. I'd love to take the entire family back to visit one day.

Just relaxing for a few minutes before heading to work, and I'll be there until almost 8 tonight. I cleaned the kitchen and bathroom and paid the bills, so I won't have much to do tomorrow except curl up on the couch and watch the snow that's heading our way.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #22

Hi Cottage...Oh , yes, I see it is headed up here too...they say about an inch or so... I guess I better gird my loins because we always get more than predicted.

My etsy shop :
Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #23
Find your path

Hello all,

A big welcome to Marie and JoJoJo!

Carol - yay for losing another pound! You are doing great! You are able to send and receive PMs.

Marie - I clicked on your profile picture so I can see your hats better. You are very talented! I wish women would wear them more often. Again, welcome to this little group.

Jo - big kudos to you for losing and maintain your current weight. What an inspiration you are! Your teddy bear project is great, no matter which charity ends up with them. I'm sure glad you found us.

Linda - enjoy your day tomorrow and stay warm!

We didn't get nearly as much snow as was predicted, but the wind chill temps are brutal!

My littlest grandson, Jackson, spent the night by himself with us last night, and we had a lot of fun! He'll be 3 in May, and is such a sturdy little guy.

If you have to get out in the snow, stay warm and safe!

Last edited by Jane : 01-07-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #24
New ME in 2010!

Thumbs up Welcome!

Marigrace & JoJoJo2!

Yes....it is VERY cold here on the "no coast". We still have snow on the ground from October's beast of storms!

I am SO FRUSTRATED! I'm a quilter first, then I like to delve into paper craft and punch needle. BUT - I have not been in my quilt/craft room for close to a YEAR NOW! I really need to schedule the time and get in there and get satisfied with the feel of the material again! HELP!

Do'n GREAT on program - have lost 5 pounds this week, will add whatever I've lost this week to my ticker on Monday when I officially weigh myself.

Hope you all are staying WARM
That's what I'm do'n!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:02 PM   #25
cajungirl64

S/C/G: 181/174/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi Marigrace: Your hats are beautiful. Oh, I love making soaps and potpourri (not sure about the spelling there?) I love my herb garden too.

Hi JoJoJo: I like crocheting too and embroidery. Your bears sounds darling.

Jane, I'll try and stay warm but it's suppose to get down in the 20's tonight...Brrrr! But we are still not as cold or snowed in as many other states are.
Well, you all have a great day. Hope to hear from you soon.
Blessings,
Linda (cajungirl)
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #26

Thank you so much Jane and Kim and Linda and Carolis and Cottage for the very warm welcome.
Haven't done much crafting today, more like cooking and running some errands before the snow starts up.....I am 59 today...and feeling ever so close to the big 60....but Jo Jo, you are living proof that there absolutely is life after sixty.

My etsy shop :
Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #27
Happy Member

Hi, everyone:

Actually there is lots of life after 60, and after 70, and after 80. LOL. Age is just a number. Let's just keep plugging along, doing the best we can as long as we can.

I haven't had much time for crafting today, but I'll be doing some this evening. This morning my husband had an appointment with his eye doctor, and this afternoon we had an appointment to get our water softener upgraded. So today has been a busy one.

The weather continues mighty cold here. My eating for today has been OK.

Let's all have a peaceful evening.

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #28
New ME in 2010!

Default You said it, now here it comes!!!

Quote:
Thank you so much Jane and Kim and Linda and Carolis and Cottage for the very warm welcome.
Haven't done much crafting today, more like cooking and running some errands before the snow starts up.....I am 59 today...and feeling ever so close to the big 60....but Jo Jo, you are living proof that there absolutely is life after sixty.

Hope you are having a FANTASTIC day!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajungirl64 View Post
Hi Marigrace: Your hats are beautiful. Oh, I love making soaps and potpourri (not sure about the spelling there?) I love my herb garden too.

Hi JoJoJo: I like crocheting too and embroidery. Your bears sounds darling.

Jane, I'll try and stay warm but it's suppose to get down in the 20's tonight...Brrrr! But we are still not as cold or snowed in as many other states are.
Well, you all have a great day. Hope to hear from you soon.
Blessings,
Linda (cajungirl)

Hello ladies, and good evening to you.
I feel like I'm all by myself out in the western territory and fer away from all of you!

Cajungirl-- You make the best oatmeal soap! Nice on the hands. Love the fragrance too!

But...you make the cutest dolls!! I love your country dolls and what you do to them to make them special. Thank you for making them for me! Can you add a couple pictures of them for the girls to see sometime? (have to wait the 20 days though) Oh, that would be so special! Each one has her own personality. Looking at them makes ya smile!! So glad someone uses their machine, mine just gathers dust bunnies. I have an floor angel that has been missing her head for 3 years. Someday I plan on finishing her. Poor thing!

Wanted to let all of you know that Cajungirl and I have been friends for over 43 years and growing. But she and dh moved to Louisiana a few years ago where it's always , and we're out here in CA, so we email every day to stay in touch. Trying to figure out a way for her to ship us some of that wet stuff. We've been through a lot of thick and a few thins together.....but mostly thick. But we've never given up hope to reach that number where we're comfortable and healthy. We're stuck like glue! We're best Buds!

JoJoJo--Sometime can you attach a picture of your crocheted bear? Would love to see what it looks like. I can do a little bit of crocheting, but it has to be a easy blanket with no more than a few dc's, or much of a design in the pattern. I do plan on making another Oriental Tea Garden quilt someday. I made one 25 years ago and gave it as a wedding present and I loved the design. I made a purse once and some granny squares for a blanket for our youngest daughter when she was a baby. That's about it for my crocheting days.

Marie-- You're 59 years young!! Most of us over here can say it's only a number. Hey, this is the time for you so tell everyone to "look out". You've got a lot of years left, no holding ya back. Enjoy this time in your life!!

Kim--Sorry about your being frustrated! Did you get your room so you can work in it now? Can you take an afternoon a week to work on something with material? Sometimes getting started is the worst part. Maybe work on unfinished projects first, if you have any not finished. That would get you started back into the material room. This is the year for unfinished projects!! Remember....Simplify! If we don't do that, we'll go crazy.

Jane-- Thank you Jane for letting me know I can PM now.

Linda-- Hope you had a good day at work and enjoy tomorrow relaxing and watching the snow. Wish we could get some of that stuff. I'd take an inch. It makes everything so quiet. They close the schools with an inch usually! It doesn't happen often out here in the desert, but when it does, we all enjoy it. Last time I borrowed the neighbor's grand children to build a snowman in our yard too. Neighbor ran out of snow building hers.

Looks like lots of great crafts that we ladies like to make. Anything to keep our hands busy, right? Had another good day!

Carol
Old 01-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #30
New ME in 2010!

Thumbs up Small WORLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoJo2 View Post
Hi, everyone:

Actually there is lots of life after 60, and after 70, and after 80. LOL. Age is just a number. Let's just keep plugging along, doing the best we can as long as we can.

The weather continues mighty cold here. My eating for today has been OK.

Let's all have a peaceful evening.
We are practically NEIGHBORS girl!
I L♥V your attitude about aging - I believe it is all in the head - you are as young as you feel! My grandmother was a testimony to that - she passed away at the age of 109 - in assisted living - she was too healthy for a nursing home!

You are right - we are sure getting the cold - but suppose to warm up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolis60 View Post
Kim--Sorry about your being frustrated! Did you get your room so you can work in it now? Can you take an afternoon a week to work on something with material? Sometimes getting started is the worst part. Maybe work on unfinished projects first, if you have any not finished. That would get you started back into the material room. This is the year for unfinished projects!! Remember....Simplify! If we don't do that, we'll go crazy.
So funny my quilt room is FULL of unfinished projects - I'm a QUILTER!
We don't finish many projects - we start a LOT!

You're right though, I need to get in there and get some FABRIC THERAPY!

Ummmmmmm....this is starting another project - but I think I'll whip up some flax seed hand warmers for my DH!
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.