3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

~January Golden Girls~

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #91
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Karen, Lynn sent me a copy that is compatible with my computer. Thanks, anyway!

Because it's so warm outside (27 degrees), I relented and shoveled the snow from the driveway. I hope we get a break for a while, because I AM SICK OF THIS STUFF!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #92

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Bobbi and Lynn you have such interesting towns that you pass through. I'm walking on the TransCanada highway and it doesn't usually go through a town and it's often too far off the road to visit the towns (while walking). I have to pack a lunch or eat at gas stations or an occasional restaurant when the highway goes near a town. But the scenery is great. I just hope I don't meet a moose, bear or coyote on my meanderings.
Hi Isabella,

As this is a virtual journey, I am taking some liberty with the towns. I'm walking/biking along the PA turnpike, but when I get near an interesting town, I just wiggle my nose and hop over.

Lynn
Old 01-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #93
Bobbi

S/C/G: 160/129/124

Same here Isabella...Fertile is 1-2 miles off the interstate, I don't count the miles going in or coming out. I just mention anything interesting that happens on the near towns I pass by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone
Bobbi and Lynn you have such interesting towns that you pass through. I'm walking on the TransCanada highway and it doesn't usually go through a town and it's often too far off the road to visit the towns (while walking). I have to pack a lunch or eat at gas stations or an occasional restaurant when the highway goes near a town. But the scenery is great. I just hope I don't meet a moose, bear or coyote on my meanderings.
Hi Isabella,

As this is a virtual journey, I am taking some liberty with the towns. I'm walking/biking along the PA turnpike, but when I get near an interesting town, I just wiggle my nose and hop over.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #94
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I'm going to have to break out the map and see what I'm passing.

Karen, we must have been posting the same time. WTG, girl on that 4 pounds. Oh, that I could repeat your weigh in tomorrow morning.

Jess, I'm sick of the snow, too and we don't even have any left.

Bike: 1613.03 Kilometres
Old 01-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #95

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Height: 5'1"

Sore throat, cough, headache....

Ugh

Lynn
Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #96
Bobbi

Good Morning....brrrrrr, it's cold all over the country. International Falls in Minnesota set a record last night.
Lynn...sorry about that, a good excuse to stay in bed and read novels. That is if your headache isn't too bad. Get well soon, you have virtual traveling to do.
Zoe...so you do transcribing and such. In a doctors office? Nosey aren't I.
Freda...scary! I worry all the time about my grandsons that are in sports. Damian is a senior and travels all over in the bus to his basketball games. Lukas is 11 and they travel out of town also to his hockey games. I worry much more about my grandkids than I did our own daughter. Maybe it's an old age thing with me?
Karen...I have RLS (restless legs) about once a month. I'll have to try that pickle juice cure of your aunts. The only problem is the salt retention I'll have the next morning. I'll just stay off the scale!
Isabella...yeah!
Quote:
I'm going to have to break out the map and see what I'm passing.

Jess...fantastic exercise plus to get to smell the clean fresh air.
Quote:
I relented and shoveled the snow from the driveway. I hope we get a break for a while, because I AM SICK OF THIS STUFF!
Hi everyone I missed, you all stay warm.
Some healthy alternatives to using oil in recipes. I took out the ladies names to shorten this up. I've never heard of using beans in recipes but then I'm a huge meat eater and don't use that many beans. Isabella, do you put beans in your brownies?

Quote:
Pumpkin for Healthier Baked Goods
I use pumpkin in my cakes instead of oil. No one has ever detected a difference. Many people use applesauce...but I think it is much hardier to get in all your vegetables each day. Fruit is fairly easy.
Comments:
I had never thought of using pumpkin. That sounds like a great idea. Thanks.
pumpkin is absolutely fantastic in carrot cake...
Vegans have a lot of great baking tips. I'm not a vegan, but I substitute mashed bananas for eggs and a blend of avocado and olive oil in baking. Just as with the pumpkin, no one notices the (healthier) difference!
I'm not a vegan either but when I ran out of eggs during bad weather, I checked the net and found out I could make brownies with ground flax seed instead of eggs. They turned out fine.....now I reduce the amount of eggs I use and add flaxseed to the brownie mix!
Do you use canned pumpkin or a pumpkin? Am clueless about this kind of stuff.
I use canned pumpkin. The leftover pumpkin goes in 1/2 cup containers and put in freezer. When I decide to bake, I set them out to thaw. Works great and no mess.
For easy brownies...Combine 1 package boxed cake OR brownie mix (dry ingred. only) and 1 can of pumpkin. Mix & pour into baking dish.
Cook as instructed on box (but watch carefully as all ovens vary). Viola! Moist & yummy treats that are quick, cheap, easy, & a tad healthier because you left out the eggs, oil, butter, etc. Warning: These are very rich so you may want to cut them into smaller pieces. Yay! This means they'll go even farther. ingred. only) and 1 can of pumpkin. Mix & pour into baking dish.
Cook as instructed on box (but watch carefully as all ovens vary). Viola! Moist & yummy treats that are quick, cheap, easy, & a tad healthier because you left out the eggs, oil, butter, etc. Warning: These are very rich so you may want to cut them into smaller pieces. Yay! This means they'll go even farther. ................................. Great info. I do have a question ... How do I know how much pumpkin or other substitution items to use? For example, if 1 cup of oil is needed do I use 1 cup of pumpkin or applesauce? I pretty much

use one cup of pumpkin for one cup of oil. I plan on trying the pumpkin with brownies soon.........sounds good and much healthier. I also find that if I don't mention changes to the family......they never notice. ................................. how much pumpkin do you use?
I keep apple juice all the time and if a recipe calls for a cup of oil in a recipe then i use a cup of apple juice in place of oil. I have done this for years making cakes and cookies and saved a lot of fat calories off my body ! ................................. Right now I have a spice cake on my table that was made using a spice cake mix, a can of pumpkin, and a healthy helping of raisins. Yum! I mixed up some cream cheese frosting and stored it in the fridge for anybody who wants to add sweetness to individual servings but find it delicious plain. Also, on the Dr Oz show yesterday there was a woman who used black beans in brownies. Does anybody know how this works? yes, I make black bean brownies all the time. In fact, when I give them to friends, they all want the recipe. They're incredibly moist.
I use Hershey's Triple Chunk Chocolate brownie mix. Rinse one can of black beans very well. Then, put them back in the can. Yep, you heard me. Fill the can of beans level full with water. Dump the whole thing in your blender. Add the brownie mix. Puree. Pour into a pan, and bake according to mix directions.
These brownies are incredible! I sometimes add a sprinkling of dark chocolate (65% cacao) chips and chopped walnuts on top. Dark chocolate is low in fat. The walnuts help balance the sugar and lower the glycemic index in the brownies. I use squash this way (just learned this secret this year). I was making pumpkin cookies with squash from the garden, and didn't have the applesauce I thought I had. It works great, and tastes wonderful. I bake 5 or 6 whole squash in the stove until soft. Remove the skin and seeds (though I have read you can puree the skin as well) and run it though my food processor until smooth. Freeze in amounts you will use 1/4 c., 1/2 c.....if the recipe calls for 1/2 c. oil I use 1/2 c. puree. Easy, and I have a huge amount of squash from the garden this year.
The bean brownies are really great and filling...these are my favorite way to eat beans and I LOVE beans. If your family isn't used to beans be forwarned...I took these for Christmas one year and two of my brothers called to asked what weird flour I used in those wonderful brownies because they were stinking up their houses the next day. I didn't tell...I just told them they needed to increase their daily fiber.
Great ideas...I love having choices.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #97
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Good Saturday morning, everybody. DH is improving his golf swing on the Wii Fit, and I'm sitting here, bleary-eyed, gulping down my first cuppa cawfee and feeling irritated at his enthusiasm over all this danged "exercise". Oh, I'll get over it, but one more "Nice approach!" from the mechanical guy inside the Wii and I may barf. Oh, I'll become less irritable, too, I'm sure....maybe...as the day goes on, The truth is, it isn't him so much as me that's making me irritated; I just cut loose and pigged out last night on graham crackers and peanut butter - and a banana - after DH went to bed. I swear I don't know what's WRONG with me lately! I've been wanting to eat everything in sight! I do pretty well during the day - very well, actually, because I'm back at work, now, and I only eat what I bring with me, which is healthy, diet-conscious and low-calorie - but once I'm home, and after I've eaten my equally diet-conscious supper, I start with wanting to graze, wanting more to eat. Up until last night, I've either been able to exercise some will power - or, as in the case of the double chocolate cookies in the lunchroom the other day, there has been some assistance from the universe. Last night was a disaster, and my stomach is gripey this morning as a result. Nobody to blame but myself, of course, but even so, somebody cheerfully making noise on Wii Fit in the next room is a little irritating.
Lynn, I am SO sorry about your daughter. I certainly understand well the feelings of helplessness when a child has something wrong, and you'd gladly have it yourself instead, but since life doesn't work that way, you can only be supportive and do whatever you can to help her through it. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Sorry you're feeling rotten yourself today. Tuck yourself in, rest, drink plenty of fluids, and get better soon.
Well, you all are certainly making these virtual journeys of yours sound like fun! If I wasn't such a slug, I'd join you. As it is, I'm thinking to start biking again in the spring. That's something I really enjoy, and there are several nice bike trails not far from where we live. I'm THINKING about it....working myself up to feel some enthusiasm, you know? I figure if I keep thinking about it, by May or so, I'll have thought long enough to actually do it...
Bobbi, you're absolutely right about looking at diet as one of the ways to maintain good health! My daughter has been following the diet recommendations in a book called "The MS Recovery Diet" - almost a Paleo diet, but not quite, although she's eliminated all kinds of foods that may play a role in causing exacerbations - all dairy, eggs, gluten, caffein, legumes, sugar, soy, saturated fats, a few other things that I'm probably forgetting - and is learning to prepare foods for herself that seem to be helping, her in combination with the medication and natural supplements that she takes, to regain her strength and stay well. We're hoping for the best.
Rosey, I would gladly sleep in if I could. My 11 days off over the holidays really spoiled me, I'm afraid. Now I'm looking forward to retirement more than ever before.
Isabella, my DH felt under the weather for a day or so after he had the flu shot, too. I haven't had it myself - I tend to not do well with immunizations - just go ahead and get sick, is what I seem to do, so I don't take them any more, and so far - knock on wood - I haven't gotten sick.
Oh, Freda - yes, friends for sure! It feels awfully nice, doesn't it? (Oh, and you may be right about the divine intervention - last night's, however, must've come from the other side! )
That's a good tip on the pickle juice, Karen. I used to have RLS, I think - and trouble with one leg in particular when I laid down, but it seems to have gone away of it's own accord - at least for now. I'm going to file that pickle juice tip though, for future reference in the event that those aches ever return.
Donna, I'm not surprised that you're tired of the snow; I'm tired of it with the first snowflake that I see. We haven't had as much as you, but in my opinion, ANY is too much for me. I swear I was born in the wrong place. I think it was originally intended that I be somewhere in the tropics , but somebody got their wires crossed at the last minute!
Well, I'm off to get dressed and go do my grocery shopping. I'd better eat a little something first so I won't buy out the whole store!

Z

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, 'OH CRAP, SHE'S UP!'"
Old 01-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #98
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Bobbi, you and I were posting at the same time! Nope - no transcribing, no doctor's office. I do the actual writing myself, not edit or whatever (?) somebody else's. I work for a huge, international non-profit organization with bases in 118 countries, and do a lot of their public relations writing as well as federal and private grant proposals. I can't wait to retire because frankly, I'm tired of it, but I have to wait at least until this coming June to make my ten years there and be fully vested in my retirement plan - and I need to work for TWO MORE years from this April if I want to collect my full social security, which I see no reason not to do. Blah.

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, 'OH CRAP, SHE'S UP!'"
Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #99
Bobbi

Geeeeezz Zoe.....maybe it's the weather. I just changed my ticker because I have been up all week. I've been grazing too. Darn! My problem is boredom, eating stuff here and there during the day is my down fall. Today I'm making banana bread with some too ripe bananas and DH will have to fight me off with a stick when they come out of the oven. O.K. don't make them. Yeah but my mom's words are echoing in my ear about the starving children across the sea and don't waste food.
Quote:
I start with wanting to graze, wanting more to eat.

Last edited by Bobbolink : 01-09-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:02 PM   #100
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Bobbi, what a wonderful ticker!! I love it! And, I also adjusted my ticker! (my subtle way of saying "yahoo!")

Gorgeous today, and it's supposed to be in the mid 40's. I might go outside and soak up some rays! It's bikini time!

Nothing much going on today, just piddling around. Zoe and Bobbi, do you also find that your eating orgies happen at night? I do really well during the day, but night time just makes me crazy... for something SWEET or SALTY. I don't think those cravings will EVER be beaten. I've been eating a packet of instant oatmeal about 9 p.m. It satisfies me, and I sleep like a little baby.

Have a lovely day, All! Oh! When I had to replace the Address Book, I also lost my schedule of all of your birthdays. Could you say them again, so we can say "Greetings" on your special day? Ta.

Last edited by jess1 : 01-09-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #101
Bobbi

I'm more of a grazer during the day. I have sf/ff vanilla pudding with different toppings at night. Right now I have a can of sugar free cherry pie filling open, 1/2 cup only 35 calores. I also have a stove-top stainless steel corn popper, I only use zero Pam spray to coat the popcorn kernels so not many calories there. And funny you should mention oatmeal before bed, ME TOO! I make my own individual packets so the calories will be under 100. I put some apple pie spice in the packets and add a couple tablespoons of sugar free applesauce to the water and mix when I make a bowl in the microwave. It's comfort food to me and helps me sleep. I don't add milk, just eat it as is, usually sprinkle some sf sugar/cinnamon over it or sometimes drizzle sugar free maple syrup over it. Yum!
Quote:
Nothing much going on today, just piddling around. Zoe and Bobbi, do you also find that your eating orgies happen at night? I do really well during the day, but night time just makes me crazy... for something SWEET or SALTY. I don't think those cravings will EVER be beaten. I've been eating a packet of instant oatmeal about 9 p.m. It satisfies me, and I sleep like a little baby.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 PM   #102
Isabella

I'm all done in! I did a fitness test tonight off the internet and my legs are so wobbly I can hardly walk. I just went down to the basement to put more wood in the furnace and thought I'd never get down the stairs and then I was kinda worried I wouldn't get back up.

We're getting snow tonight. Looks like winter out there now. We're supposed to get about 2 centimeters tonight and another 2 tomorrow. (about 2 or 3 inches) I hope I'll be able to walk tomorrow (and I mean that literally as well, oh, my legs). Jess, have you got a shovel I can borrow?

Bobbi, I've never made any sweet things with beans but now that I've read that post of yours I'd be game to try it.

Zoe, I'm feeling much better today as far as that flu shot goes. My BIL said he saw me walking yesterday and I looked like an old lady trudging along. Ha, ha. I thought I looked more like a drunk staggering home after one too many drinks. I think I actually was staggering at times if I looked up quickly.

Lynn, hope you're feeling much better by tonight. When I was teaching grade 1 and one of the kids would come to school feeling sick I'd tell them they'd have to go home, get their blankie and teddy bear and curl up on the couch and watch a video. They always thought that was a good idea.

I weighed in this morning and I'm back at my pre-Christmas weight so I'm satisfied with that. I wouldn't weigh last Saturday as I didn't think I wanted to see what the damage was after the New Year's celebrations. Also, today, I had a funny but nice thing happen. When I went to the bathroom I realize I'd pulled my slacks down without unzipping or unbuttoning them. Ha, ha, I'm going to have to invest in a belt or get new dress pants. Actually, I do have new pants a size smaller but they're too tight yet so what I really need is a size in between which no one makes.

Have a great night everyone and stop grazing at night. Better yet do a fitness test like I did and you won't have the energy to walk to the kitchen. Catch you later.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #103

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone - I haven't checked in this month. I was distressed at not losing weight!! But I haven't given up. I'm now using a food diary. Still getting at least 30 minutes cardio daily. I thought I should have lost something! I've eliminated all sugar and sweeteners (except for very occasional special occasions, during which my use will be very moderate) ... also eliminated all yeasted breads. I put cheese back into my diet because I need the calcium but I'm careful to use only an ounce or less at a time and to count calories.

So... I'm still with you, but still waiting to lose weight. I lost one pound and then gained two, so am making more diet modifications.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #104
Isabella

Don't give up ToBThinAgain. Come and post often. We'll encourage you and give you all the wisdom we have.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #105

S/C/G: 215/211/150

Height: 5'1

I am enjoying this thread. So many posts that make me smile.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.