Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Quilters, Crafters, and Chatters for Weight Loss

Hello,

Please join us here, regardless of your age or gender, as we discuss our weight loss journeys, and the lengths we go to in an effort to keep our hands busy and out of the cookie jar. Whether your talent is quilting, cooking , scrapbooking, or mainly spending time with your fingers on a keyboard, this thread will help keep you accountable, and provide friendship and support along the way.

So pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, and share what's on your mind.

Last edited by Jane; 11-08-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Well, here we have it. A new thread for all of us!
(Please check the old ones for personal responses since your last post.)

Hello all,

Penguin - we don't care at all if young'uns post here. In fact, we encourage it! You and the others will help keep us up on things, lol. Just bare with us when we speak of our ailments, grandchildren, etc., haha. Question - do you like the smaller groups or larger ones in church? I have to say I like the smaller ones, like under 20, maybe because they just seem more intimate? Sounds like you bonded with your April like I did with my Molly. She, too, was a humane society dog, and unlike the others there, she didn't rush up to front of the cage, barking like crazy. She sat back, very polite, and made eye contact. I was a goner! That was 12 years ago. We've grown old(er) together.

Trish - my DD Mary is like your DD, and is an intuitive eater. No clue where she gets it, because it sure wasn't from me, lol. I did have a wonderful day shopping! It was good to not have a certain time to get it done, or have to wait on someone else. I mosey'd and got a lot of bargains, too. Mmmm... your beef stew smelled so good, I got a whiff of it here in Indiana!!

Brittni - So glad to have you join us! Is the quilt you're making one of those where the child learns to button, tie, zip, etc? I saw something similar on line, and wished they had those when my kids were small. What a wonderful gift you're giving her! As one of the others mentioned - she is so cute in your avatar!!

Linda - I hope you had a great birthday! Tell us about it, ok?

MBN - how'd your weekend go?

Kris - oh dear.... I forgot what I was going to say to you!! I apologize. Let's just call this a senior moment, ok?

I have had such a good weekend! Mary's 3 girls were here, and we spent lots of time outdoors. I taught them the 9-square hopscotch game, and did a lot of rope-twirling while they jumped rope. We also looked for Indian beads in the gravel, and made bouquets with fall leaves. Needless to say, they really wore me out, lol. I overate, but feel like I expended extra calories.

How was your weekend?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Jane, I like the new thread and title. I think the smaller groups are more intimate and give the 'girls' an opportunity to speak up, and express their own views and ideas prehaps like they wouldn't do in a larger group. IN our gruop, CBS, the leaders meet on Wed to go over the lesson ourselves. We raise our hands to be called on if we have something to say or to answer the 'read-aloud' questions, but there are close to 40 of us in the room and not everyone gets a chance to say what they think. Thursdays is the day the whole class meets, then we split up into smaller groups. We, as leaders, don't have all the answers, LOL, and opinions vary a great deal {CBS is non-denominational}, but in the smaller groups we still have ladies who never give answers {I didn't for the first few months} Some people like getting lost in the crowd so would never consider a small group.

We had a wonderful sunny day! Hubby worked in the garage, while I did some fall planting and raking. I did some shopping for a weightlifing gadget called a 'kettlebell" and found that they are expensive!!! {Kettlebell is a metal ball with a metal handle, similar to a dumbbell}

Tomorrow, we are to go out to dinner with my parents to celebrate my Mom's Bday. Hubby and I have eaten out more than usual this weekend which isn't helping the weightloss. Sigh.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everyone

Jane Thanks for starting the new thread... like the name. Glad you had a good time with the girls. I loved jump rope and hopscotch when I was a girl.

Penguin Your CBS sounds so much like BSF. We have about 12 to 15 women in our small group class. I really enjoy the small group and the way many times each one gets different thoughts on a scripture. I think it has to do with where we are walking with the Lord in our own life. Enjoy your time with your parents. I would love to spend one moment with my Mama again. But someday when we are together again we will have eternity to spend together. You are blessed.

Well, we didn't do much. Church this morning and small group Bible study tonight. Tony hasn't been feeling reall great. He went to bed and slept when we got home and he is asleep again now. Hope he isn't coming down with something.

WI this morning and I lost the lb I gained last week. So I'll take it and be glad about it. It is better than another gain.

Catch y'all tomorrow.

Good night.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Hi Everyone:
Jane sounds like you had a fun weekend!!
I did have a wonderful weekend, why does it go by so quickly?? wish my work week went by so fast Did have a very sunny weekend for a change, which was great, I did plan to rake leaves my DH wanted to see the new Disney movie, A Christmas Carol, so...did not get to enjoy the beautiful sun-shine, but got to spend time with my sweetie, so the leaves will have to wait, hopefully next weekend will be also as nice!!

I did have a NSV yesterday went to Red Lobster, did not have a cheddar bay biscuit {FYI : did you know those yummy biscuits have 330mgs of sodium in each} Well need to get to sleep have a great Monday, everyone

Old 11-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #6  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies -- It was a busy running weekend for me -- 7.5 miles of bridge repeats (it's a kind of interval training, we don't have hills here!) and a lifting class on Saturday, and 15.5 mile VERY windy long run yesterday morning. My first race (half marathon) is coming up on Sunday. It will be fun! Weight-wise, I am staying within my maintenance window now, even post-long-run, so I am feeling great about that. I want to stay strict on the diet until Thanksgiving though, and give myself a pound or two wiggle room for that Thanksgiving buffet ....

DH is an avid mountain biker and decided to venture back into racing again after a several year hiatus. He did a race yesterday and placed first in his age group!! He was very happy! We both crossed over into a new age group this year, so you never know how that's going to affect the competition. The 50's age group may be smaller, but those that are hanging with it are TOUGH.

DS#2 just got his learner's permit (two words that strike terror into the hearts of parents ) and is anxious to use it at every opportunity!

It's scary to realize how close the holidays are, I need to get on that Christmas shopping soon. I like to get it done early, if at all possible, to avoid the last minute craziness!

Happy Monday everyone!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #7  

We took April {<---} to the park today. Its overcast rather than sunny but there's no breeze and its humid so we were all panting by the time we got home. I started some jog intervals but kept stepping in holes with my right foot so I gave up quickly.

I did get out and do some fall planting and weeding yesterday, while a recovered Hubby cleaned out the garage {about time!}. Later we ate out and did some shopping.

Tonight we got out to eat with my parents for my Mom's Bday. Hopefully, Hubby and I can split a meal.

I'm thinking I might use a kettlebell as a treat for my mini-goal of 20lbs. I want a 20lb kb {think metal ball with a metal handle, like a dumbbell, used for weight training} so when I lose 20lbs I can buy one! That will give me time to save up the money also, because the stupid things are pricey for a hunk of metal. The one I want is at Target {GoFit brand} and comes with a DVD.

MBN, My friend's oldest son just got his permit. Because of my vision I can't drive, so she picks me up on Thurs so we can spend some time together before our Hubby's get of work and join us at their house. {she makes dinner while I bring dessert} Sometimes, recently her son has been at the wheel! , but He's actually doing very well I wish my Hubby would get involved in a sport etc. He is a aircraft mechanic, who likes to work on his trucks as a hobby???? To me this is a busdriver's holiday.

Institches, How was the movie? I'm interested in seeing that one when it comes out at Netflix. I found a recipe for RL's Biscuits that uses Bisquick. I can post it if you are interested, but I don't know the nutritional data, so it may not be any better.

Patty, IIRC, CBS started when too many women wanted to sign up for a BFS class. So some of the women branched off and started their own class, intending to rejoin BSF, but the class snowballed! My mom has been in both and they are very similar. CBS has grown so that it is now international, but its headquarters are in CO. I feel very lucky to have such kind and supportive parents. We are a small family with members spread all over the country so we don't see each other very often.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

Hi all-
Penguin - my sister has recently started a kettlebell routine and loves it. I haven't seen them down here in our neck of the woods but when we go to the Big Smoke later this month I might try to track some down. I think they'd be great for using on the days I don't feel like driving into town to work out at the gym.

My dish cloth yarn arrived so I'm back into knitting in the evenings while watching TV. The way I'm going I'll need to reorder some more yarn sooner rather than later! Then again, I'll probably lose interest in making them after a dozen or so.

Started a 6 week challenge yesterday through Leigh Peele/Body by Eats. My goals: drop 6 pounds by Dec 21, establish a daily yoga & foam rolling practice and clean/organize and redecorate our smallest bedroom.

My craft accomplishment this weekend? I made a yoga mat bag out of a batik quilt top that I'd finished the week before. I really like it.

Last edited by KrisR; 11-09-2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: typos!
Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #9  

I just figured out how to upload of picture.....oh how clever....

Anyway....here is a picture of the yoga mat bag and my dish cloth fibers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9554web.jpg (35.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9551web.jpg (32.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #10  

Kris, Is hat your Hubby that got holding the bag?? the things they do for us! I do like the bag, I think you did a good job on it. The colors of your yarn are wonderful. I have a discloth that my GMa made {I found it going through her things after she passed}. I don't use it for dishes but put it in the washer when I was new fabric or clothes. Its white cotton so its supposed to absorb the extra dye. Its still white dispite my washing it in this way for a few years, so I'm not sure if its working or not.

Thanks for sharing the pics
Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 288/284/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi all! hope you don't mind if I jump in, saw the name pop up and had to come join you all, even though I'm not in the age group, lol. I'm Dee, 31 with 3 munchkins and a Navy hubby.. and a furkid. I recently started quilting and knitting, and i've been a cross-stitcher and crocheter since I was a preteen. Read the whole last thread and feel like I know you all a bit already. So far I've done two baby quilts, and one really quickly thrown together quilt that was just over twin size to send to the hubby in Iraq last Christmas (he's home now, and never again will I attempt to piece and quilt a quilt that big in two weeks). Attempting to attach some pics of the infamous quilt, one of the baby quilts (with baby), and a wreath.. but who knows if it will work as I'm not the most comp. savvy, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg addison with quilt.jpg (28.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg quilt1.jpg (5.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg wreath.jpg (3.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #12  

Welcome Dee!, Glad to have you join us. Finish a quilt in two weeks! Kudos to you! Please thank your Hubby for his service to our country.. My Hubby was Navy, also, but has been out for about 10 years now. Thanks for posting those pics...I have to get my Hubby to post mine.

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 11-09-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #13  

yeah....he's looking a little 'woolie' right now, that man of mine......it's time to take him in for his pruning!

Great job on the quilts Dee. I'm working on some baby sized quilts right now - charity quilts. It's nice because they go together fairly quickly and I get a more immediate sense of satisfaction (as opposed to some of my OTT projects that go on forever and ever and ever!).

Had a NSV just now. It's Mr. W's b-day so we went out for lunch (Thai - our favorite) and he suggested Magnum ice cream bars for dessert. Yesterday I was all irritated and frustrated because the random number generator hadn't moved but that didn't stop me from agreeing.

My NSV is that I only ate 1/2 the bar, put the rest in the freezer and recorded the 135 calories. I'll end the day within my caloric budget, possibly even with room to spare since I chose wisely at the restaurant. And, I haven't told him yet, but he can have the other 1/2 of the bar. It feels good to make wise choices and not feel like I'm missing out.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #14  

Kris, ROTFLOL! I've never heard "random number generator' before. I almost spit orange juice all over the screen!

Good Job on the NSV.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #15  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

KrisR - I like your dishcloth yarn. 100% cotton, right? I like to crochet, although I have been slacking lately. Since I like to do easy/mindless crocheting while watching TV, I do a lot of dish cloths and hot pads. For hot pads, I just do two layers and single stitch them together. I can do different stitch patterns to vary the style, but they are basically just squares or rectangles, very easy! When washed, they tighten up and make a really nice-feeling and dense hot pad. My family usually gets a new set every Christmas! I think I have enough stockpiled right now for Christmas, but if not, I need to get working on that. Fortunately, they go together very quickly! I, too, like immediate gratification.

One year, I got really ambitious and made afghans for everyone, but not this year .... I have an afgan I've been working on for us for over a year and it still isn't finished! Another year I was into crocheting with thread and made a bunch of filet bookmarks and snowflake ornaments. I've been slacking this year.
Closed Thread