Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~November Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us

And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:48 AM   #2  
Fit and Feisty

Hi! I am back after a long absence. Back attending WW meetings and have a dream of actually reaching goal again before I retire.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #3  
Bobbi

Welcome back Carree...I think most of us have taken a sabbatical leave from 3 Fat Chicks, including me. I lose the weight, go back to unacountability for a few months/years only to end up right back here where I know I'll lose again. Just checking in daily works for me but I tend to get lazy and the weight creeps back up.
Congrats for getting back on the program and hope WW's works for you. The meetings are great, I went there for a short time and enjoyed the meeting and the goodies/recipes they hand out. I live out in the country and driving into town on icy roads deterred me from staying on their program.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:24 PM   #4  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Carree, I love the puppy in your picture! I ran with Isabella's fitday.com, and that's really helping me to focus. Besides, it's FUN.... I'm so glad I found this site and all of you.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

I hope you all have a blessed Sunday,

We didn't have many Trick-or-Tretors last night, maybe 30. And most of those were over 15. One little girl, maybe 15-16 had a baby in her arms, around 8 months maybe, baby in one arm, pillow case in the other. Not sure when kids quit going out, but i'm thinking that is a little old? It was quite cold too, so that might have been why we didn't get any more. We turned the ights off when kids stopped coming and went to my sons house to see the Grands. Kids were still coming there. They had around 220 as closely as we could count by the bags of popcorn they had given out. Afterwards we ordered pizza. Good news, I didn't have ANY candy and only a couple of bites of the pizza. I can't say I was terribly good, I just didn't like it.

Ducky, Welcome. You are so right about the 20-30 year old. They just lose weight so much faster. We have to work a little harder at it. But I would hate to compair my weight loss with theirs!

Z, Still trying to figure out how to hand the "retirement" thing huh? me too, I would LOVE just 1 day when I could do what I wanted without feeling like I needed to explain where and why. Not that he asks, I just feel like I should. But millions of women have gotten through this and we will too. In the mean time, thank God for 2 TV's.

Hi Carree, Welcome back. You must have been before me. I left for awhile too, started gaining back the weight, and here I am again. The support really does help, doesn't it.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 11-01-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Default My Juicing Experience

Yesterday I decided it is time to pull it together & use this cancer the same way I use my diabetes - to make myself healthier and happier.

OK - so I decide I am going to become a "juicer." I spend time finding articles and book titles online; spend time in the bookstore (and about $75) buying books about eating to cure disease & making healthy juices; spend time finding the best juicing machine value (and about $100); and going from grocery store to grocery store looking for a good variety of organic vegetables and fruit (and about $75).

Then, I spend time reading the directions for how to assemble and use the juicing machine; put it together; find a recipe that matches the vegetables I bought; clean the vegetables; start juicing; clean the mess made by juice going all over my counter because I ignored one of the directions; re-assemble the juicer; clean more vegetables to replace the ones now on my kitchen sponge; start juicing again; drink the juice (about a 1/2 cup from 3 carrots, 2 sticks of celery; 1/2 apple; 1/2 pear; and a beet); and clean up the juicing machine.

All together, I figure I spent about 5 hours and $250 for 1/2 cup of juice!!!

Hmmm - I wonder if it would be better to develop a taste for V-8?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #7  
Bobbi

Good Morning, normally I don't post on Sunday mornings other than sign into the challenge. I was running late until DH told me to chill out, he hadn't set the clock back yet. So I have an hour to spare, wonderful.
Lynn... I think you're right about the V-8. Put some tabasco sauce in the V-8, it improves the flavor. You'll start finding lots of recipes for juicing now that you have one. All appliances take some time to adjust to. I've only used my waterless cooking pot once, only because I'm not familiar with recipes using it.
Quote:
Hmmm - I wonder if it would be better to develop a taste for V-8
I think I'll polish my fingernails now that I have the time. Have a good one.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #8  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good morning, everyone. New month, new start. I ended October in a storm of desserts (read about it in October's Golden Girls). Back on track today. I'm leaving for DS's tomorrow morning. He's having some minor surgery this week and can't lift the baby when DIL is giving music lessons. So I'll be gone for just over 2 weeks from home. I'll have my computer though so I'll still be connected. Gone to wash clothes and pack. See you tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #9  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Bobbi ~ on the October threads ~ you mentioned ~ sweet and sour cabbage soup. Have you by chance posted a recipe for it on here somewhere? I looked in the recipe section, but didn't find it. If it is on here somewhere, could you direct me to it. If it isn't here ~ could you post it? It sounded really good.

Thanks for your help.

Headed to bed now (worked last night ~ two more to go) I should have gone to bed instead of playing around on here. I'm addicted

Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Take care
Old 11-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #10  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good morning! I've decided to change my picture and tracker for November... can't get stuck in the mud! My goal this month is to have SOME movement on the weight. The body seems to be quite contented at this level, but I AM NOT. I'm averaging around 1,200 a day, am drinking more water, and I'm THINKING about exercise (challenge starts the 15th!)... it's SO frustrating!!
Have a lovely weekend. Lynn, your attitude is so good. I'm sending good thoughts upward for you!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #11  
Fit and Feisty

I wish someone would tell me why my appetite has increased because of the time change. I have a really rough time with the fall change as well.

LYNN: My DH has cancer, and a homepath recommended juicing. His fave is cucumber, carrott and beet. He lost 25 lbs. juicing, and his color improved.

FREDA: WW is really the only thing that ever worked for me (when I follow it, of course!)

JESS and RETIREDONE: Thought for today: I don't know what will happen to me tomorrow, but at least nothing more can happen to me yesterday.

Last edited by carree; 11-01-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by carree View Post
LYNN: My DH has cancer, and a homepath recommended juicing. His fave is cucumber, carrott and beet. He lost 25 lbs. juicing, and his color improved.
Carree,

Could you tell me how many cucumbers/carrots/beets your DH puts in & how much juice he gets out?

I am wondering if I got the wrong kind of juicer or if you really put a lot in and get a little out.

Lynn
Old 11-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #13  

Hi everyone..its quiet here today..i did not have any tricks or treaters i even had my costume on..i only had one tootsie pop so that was good..dh is still at the cabin..my mil is doing better even tho she still in hosp..they are thinking she had some infection and was dehydrated..when she goes home we are trying to set up some home health care givers to help her stay where she is for awhile..my 1st grchild turns 16 today..time goes by faster as u get older..hes a great kid..lynn im so amazed at your attitude its everything in your care plan..thats lots of work and $ for 1/2 glass of juice ..i learned in the past few yrs how imp attitude is..when i was so sick and in hosp last yr i dont think id be up and walking and at home now if i had decided to never give up even tho the dr's said diff..find joy every day and tell your family u love them..i feel bad if i dont address each of you individually if i miss you know that i am thinking of all you wonderful golden girls..its so pretty out today sunny but no snow yet im going to enjoy this day (((hugs))) rosey
Old 11-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #14  
Fit and Feisty

Lynn,

6 large cucumbers, peeled
1 lb. carrotts
(optional) 1 beet

My DH uses a Jack LaLanne juicer
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #15  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

NOVEMBER already???????? Good lawd, only 129 weeks, and I'll be able to retire!
Hope everyone had a happy Halloweenie, and kept the goblins (and the treats) at bay. I have been suffering some terrible cravings over these past few days (you are SO not alone, Carree - and incidentally, welcome back! As Bobbi said, a LOT of us have taken "sabbaticals" and are back again.) So, I'm fighting this like crazy, but if I had any chocolate in the house, it would be a losing battle tonight and that's the truth.
We're glad you found us, too, Donna
Yes, Freda. I may never get used to this. The only solution is for me to retire, too. Then at least my house will be clean again. Grrrr.
Lynn, for $250, I'd expect that juicer of yours to do a whole lot more than make juice. For that price, I'd expect it to do my laundry, too.
I hope you have safe travels, Isabella, and I'm glad you'll still be able to stay in touch
Hi Gayle!
Hi Rosey! Better you than me stuck with all that candy! I would've wolfed down a ton of it by now. One tootsie pop, huh? You are my hero!
DH and I actually went for a two mile walk this morning! It was a beautiful day - bright sunshine, cool, crisp air. Came home and made a big vat of chicken and veggie soup and took some over to my daughter's house. Visited with her, my dear son-in-law, my lovely granddaughter, and those little beanie-boy twins. Now I need to get myself off to bed. Five more minutes. Seriously.
Have a restful evening, and lets all kick some butt on these healthy eating regimes of ours tomorrow! (Bobbi, I'm going to second Gayle's request for your cabbage soup recipe? Please and thankyou very much )

Z
Closed Thread