Old 01-03-2009, 01:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/192/150

Height: 5' 7"

Default How often do you weigh in?

Part of my past problem with staying with a woe is that I become obsessed and think about nothing else until I drive myself crazy.
I'm not sure weighing every day/week is a good idea because in the past I could tell that it really affected my mood...ie gain = bad attitude, good = well I'm doing so well! <---sometimes led to a "little cheating here and a little cheating there". I almost considering just weighing in once a month to reinforce the idea of "long term effort" to lose weight.
Opinions please..........
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I think this is a very individual thing, and different schedules work best for different people.

If what you are doing isn't working, by all means change it. If that doesn't work, change again

For me, I want and need to weigh myself every day. In the beginning I did have to sit myself down and give myself "the talk". "No, you did NOT gain 4 lbs over night. It IS water weight, now get over it".

I found graphing my daily weight in Excel, then creating some formulas to average my weight loss over a week, two weeks, and one month really helped. I paid less attention to the daily fluctuations, and more to the weekly ones.

Why I don't like weighing less often. What if I weighed myself one month and I was dehydrated and weighed x. The next month, I had been exercising a lot, ate a salty meal the day before, etc. My weight might be up 1 lb, but I could have actually lost as much as 3-5 lbs. Without any other weight stats to look at, THAT would be hard for me to handle.

By weighing daily, I can track trends, I also keep a notes field in Excel which documents pertinent data regarding food and exercise - things that may affect the number on the scale.

But again, do what works for you!!!!!

Last edited by CountingDown; 01-03-2009 at 01:42 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #3  
Meiho

S/C/G: 165/134/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Weighing

Congratulations on 92 pound loss. That is fantastic!

I have been weighing daily for a long time and am used to the fluxuations, but since I've been on a specific diet program (Metabolic Research), I have been told not to. I still do it, because it reflects what I've been eating! Last week I totally stressed and they really came down on me not to do that. But it does keep me motivated.

Having said that, though, several people have reminded me to look at how my clothes fit, not JUST the number on the scale. Since I started, I've gone from a size 14 pants to a size 8 (in one brand; other brands I can get into a 10). My husband said he can see a waistline, and I can see more muscles in my legs.

So, the bottom line is that there is more to getting healthy than JUST the numbers on the scale. I can tell how I feel, and how my clothes fit, and those are important things. Plus, I know I'm truly working on getting healthier, fit AND thinner. I'm trying to keep perspective!
Meiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I agree . . . how often you weigh is very much a personal thing and you have to find what kind of schedule works for you. I weigh daily and actually get quite a 'kick' our of watching the little 'blips'. I also agree that you must never lose sight of the fact that the numbers on the scale are just that; numbers; and only one way to indicate your progress.

Last edited by meowee; 01-12-2009 at 08:04 AM.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #5  

Those numbers really messed with me today. Up one pound! I usually weigh in daily during the week and not the weekends. It gets to be sort of addictive. It put me in a crummy mood today. Like you said, it's just numbers, but I want them to go down! Maybe I should weigh in once a week. I might try it.
JLoubug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8

Once a week only.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #7  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I'm not 50, but almost 42 & I weigh in only once a month. For me it has been freeing, truly it has! I say give it a whirl, if it doesn't work for you, you can always try once a week instead of daily.
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Everyday. I use Diet Power to track my daily weight, food and exercise.

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #9  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5' 2"

I weigh everyday because I need to keep track of gains and losses. The thing is some days I go down a pound or two. The next day I may go up a pound. I know it is water but it still messes with my head.
I know the reason I let myself go and gain so much weight is because I was in denial. I wouldn't weigh myself at all. I got serious about losing weight when I finally got on the scale and was 195 lbs. I had to admit that I was fat.
DiBaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #10  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I find once a week is good for me. But come next Christmas when there are so many foods to partake of I'm gonna get on the scales every day just to make sure I'm not overdoing the eating. I lost track of eating this year and gained 7.5 pounds over 3 weeks. I think if I'd weighed everyday I would have had that reminder to cut back on the goodies or should I say badies. But for everyday life once a week is good for me.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #11  

I weigh every day but it has been making me crazy. I am eating two salads a day and have for weeks with only an 8 pound weight loss. I have a lite espresso cappachino in the mornings and two salads during the day and am not loosing an ounce. Could be that the coffee has a lot of calories, more than I think or it could be that I exercise zilch every day especially today. don't know. But I am going to see how things shake out tomorrow on the scale and if it still hasn't budged I am going to have to do something different. this is just way too tecious for absolutely no results.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:43 PM   #12  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

Height: 5'7"

I agree that the frequency of how often you weight is a personal one. When I weight everyday, my weight goes up and down and it can depress me if I feel I have been very good and I don't see the rewards on the scale. I find weighing every 4-5 days a good period of time for me to wait between standing on the scale. I really do enjoy watching and tracking my progress using Fit Day on my computer. Fit Day makes me be honest with myself on what I eat and how much exercise I am getting.
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:27 PM   #13  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

I weigh on Mondays, that way I am good on the weekends, knowing weigh-in day is coming up.
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote