Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~April Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...

We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #2  
Bobbi

Good Morning Girls!
Thanks for the kick-in-the-butt Linda, I usually have this posted two days prior. We've been so involved with MIL, been making trips into town daily. We have to go in again today to sign papers, we moved her from her apartment into a alzhemers unit last Wednesday.
It's snowing right now but we always have a few good snow storms in March. Today I'm starting my diet again, I'm up 9 pounds since last October when I made my goal. See ya later alligator!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/167/140

Height: 5'

I just wanted to let you all know that this is a tremendous help for me. Thank you all for all your kind words and encouragement.

Susann
susannp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Oh boy, I definitely relate to that comment. Without this place I'm sure I'd still weigh 285 and maybe even more.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Even though I've been with this group for years, I thought I would re-answer Bobbi's post -

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?

What keeps me motivated? - Daily weigh-ins & the Accountability Thread & the Golden Girls Thread & watching the Biggest Loser.

What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? - probably my travel with my DD & SIL.

How about everyone else?

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #6  
Bobbi

Good thought Lynn...... My motivation comes from the horrid feeling of the ring of fat around my waist when I sit. I hated that feeling and I hated when the ring would bulge out the top of my jeans. Losing that and feeling so comfortable in my clothes keeps me motivated. I'm back on the diet plan today because my jeans are getting tight in my tummy area, I just have to keep on top of it. Reminds me of that great article you posted awhile back on how we'll always be fighting the battle of the bulge
I'm doing a little cleaning out of stored documents on my pc and I ran across a recipe to make homemade breakfast sausage out of chicken breast. I haven't made it yet because of a seasoning called 'Montreal chicken spice'. I googled it and couldn't find anything on it. Anyone know what/where to find this?
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Good thought Lynn...... My motivation comes from the horrid feeling of the ring of fat around my waist when I sit. I hated that feeling and I hated when the ring would bulge out the top of my jeans. Losing that and feeling so comfortable in my clothes keeps me motivated. I'm back on the diet plan today because my jeans are getting tight in my tummy area, I just have to keep on top of it. Reminds me of that great article you posted awhile back on how we'll always be fighting the battle of the bulge
I'm doing a little cleaning out of stored documents on my pc and I ran across a recipe to make homemade breakfast sausage out of chicken breast. I haven't made it yet because of a seasoning called 'Montreal chicken spice'. I googled it and couldn't find anything on it. Anyone know what/where to find this?
Hi Bobbi,

Try searching for "McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Chicken Seasoning" WITH the quotation marks.

Lynn
Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

I already mentioned that all the time I spend at 3FC in various places motivates me.

Definitely the Accountability thread is a great motivator to keeping me on track because I really hate it when I have to own up to the numbers on those not so great days. I also find it awkward if I have a bunch of days when I don't count even if i don't think things have been too bad.

My biggest motivator is my health . . . the diabetes; the arthritis; what I now think is Pulmonary Edema (and I imagine the doctor will eventually agree ) are all impacted by overweight.

The best things about getting older (and don't forget I'm well past 50). Not having to get up and out to work during bad weather; it's rather nice to get paid just for existing. Of course, and I know I've said it before, the very best thing (IMHO) NO MORE TOM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #9  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post

The best things about getting older (and don't forget I'm well past 50). Not having to get up and out to work during bad weather; it's rather nice to get paid just for existing. Of course, and I know I've said it before, the very best thing (IMHO) NO MORE TOM.
I'll second all of the above.

I took mom shopping today and we had a good trip. The sun was shinning and it got so hot in the car I turned off the heat. Then in the store I thought I was going to melt so off came the coat. The wind was cold but the sun was definitely warm (almost hot when the wind stopped). I wore shoes and my feet felt so light. We're supposed to get rain tomorrow but it's still going to be warmer than winter so the snow will really melt down and the grass will soon be showing.

I've had 2 good days in a row and I started my circuit workout again this morning. I haven't done that since February and actually no real ongoing workout since before Christmas. It felt good to be back in control.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/201/125ish

Height: 5'5"

Default Thanks for the invite!

Lady in weighting - thanks for telling me about this thread and sorta inviting me over My name is Kate, and I'm a 55 year old wife, Mom and Nana. Long term weight issues....

I've been back on the diet since Monday, and when I started, I knew it wouldn't work unless I could find some compadres! And, of course, my husband offered me pie on Monday night. To paraphrase Indiana Jones, "Pie! Why did it have to be pie?" I refused the first two times, but I finally succumbed. I felt so bad....

But since then, I've actually been stronger. I've been choosing fruit instead of the office candy jar. So I'm inching along.... It's going to be a long journey but I really really want to retire healthy.
SaltwaterFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi Everyone!! Winter is back AGAIN!! I am so tired of snow I keep thinking that Spring is really coming but you can't tell it by looking outside right now---AND we have a major Winter Storm coming in on Saturday!! ((sigh)) Having a hard time getting motivated and staying motivated.

Hello and Welcome to all the new members we have. This is a great group and you will get all the help. tipsand support that you could ever ask for right here.

I guess I need to get up off the couch and from in front of the fireplace and do some exercises but when it is snowing like crazy it is so easy to make excuses!! I need to stop that!

Everybody have a great evening.
Karen31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/167/140

Height: 5'

HI KATE, It's so nice to see you, and have you in the group. When I joined this group, I got support from the get go. It's a great place to be, I'm sure you will love it.

Karen, I think it would be very hard to move from in front of the fireplace with it snowing outside. Just picturing that is so cozy. But, for your sake, I hope the snow goes away and spring comes soon!!!

I can tell you all what motivated me to get started losing this weight. My MIL, she has always worn a larger size than me, she gives me a lot of her clothes that she has outgrown. She recently moved to our city, and in the move and unpacking and rearranging furniture over and over, she has dropped 20 lbs. Now, tell me, do you think that I can let her get away with that? NOOOOO, lol. So, I decided I better get started too.

What keeps me motivated: When Katrina hit, a couple named J and R lost everything they had, where they lived got hit really hard, there was sickness, despair, and they had nothing. They had heard that Kentucky was a nice state, and they opened the map, and closed their eyes and pointed. They came to my town. About a year and a half ago, I met J. She is 17 yrs younger than me, and she quickly became the daughter that I never had. I could not have raised a daughter that loved me more, one who treated me so well, one that was so devoted to me. She is a health nut, eats right, exercises daily, and I mean exercises, not just a walk, or a few minutes of cardio. She is so proud of me, every pound that I lose she makes me feel like I have accomplished the ultimate. I know that God sent J into my life for lots of reasons, this is one of them.

The best thing that happened since I've turned 50..........well, I have to say my two grandchildren. They fill my heart with so much love. And, of course, J came into my life after 50. 2 grandchildren and a daughter are wonderful gifts.

Ok, I've rattled on enough, have a great day everyone!

Susann

Last edited by susannp; 04-02-2009 at 06:21 AM.
susannp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning everybody

Welcome KATE . . . I know you will just love it here as much as the rest of us do.

Another damp and dull day, but at least the temp is above freezing and there is no snow in the forecast.

Later . . .
Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #14  

Hi everyone.

Kate, welcome! If you're looking for support, this is the right place. Look forward to getting to know you. We are all on different diet's but we are all there for each other. What plan are you following?

HI Karen, Although I love sitting in front of the fireplace and watching it snow outside, that gets old! Enough allready! We'e supposed to get some more too, sometime next week, according to the weather man. All my trees are budding out and plants are starting to pop up. If it snows now they are going to get shocked.

Susan, You are truly blessed to have found such good friends. Always a blessing.

Isabella, it's good to get back to exercising, isn't it? I find that my body craves it after awhile.

Bobbi, I too use my clothes as a better indicatior of weight gain than the scale. When those jeans start getting uncomfortable, it's time to get serious.

Lynn, what motivates me? Wanting to be able to be active and play with my grandkids. I don't want to be one of those grandparents who just sit and watch. We have taught them how to ride a bike, I practice soccer with them, and play how to pick up "grounders". I don't like sitting on the sideline!

Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
I already mentioned that all the time I spend at 3FC in various places motivates me.

Definitely the Accountability thread is a great motivator to keeping me on track because I really hate it when I have to own up to the numbers on those not so great days. I also find it awkward if I have a bunch of days when I don't count even if i don't think things have been too bad.

My biggest motivator is my health . . . the diabetes; the arthritis; what I now think is Pulmonary Edema (and I imagine the doctor will eventually agree ) are all impacted by overweight.

Linda, I don't know how I forgot about the big D. Yes, probably the greatest motivator for me was earning type 2 diabetes. I always say it is the best disease I ever had. Since I found out, 3 years ago, I changed my life entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterFarm View Post
Lady in weighting - thanks for telling me about this thread and sorta inviting me over My name is Kate, and I'm a 55 year old wife, Mom and Nana. Long term weight issues....

I've been back on the diet since Monday, and when I started, I knew it wouldn't work unless I could find some compadres! And, of course, my husband offered me pie on Monday night. To paraphrase Indiana Jones, "Pie! Why did it have to be pie?" I refused the first two times, but I finally succumbed. I felt so bad....

But since then, I've actually been stronger. I've been choosing fruit instead of the office candy jar. So I'm inching along.... It's going to be a long journey but I really really want to retire healthy.
Hi Kate,
So glad you are joining us. This is a GREAT group of women. I know you will love it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
Hi Everyone!! Winter is back AGAIN!! I am so tired of snow I keep thinking that Spring is really coming but you can't tell it by looking outside right now---AND we have a major Winter Storm coming in on Saturday!! ((sigh)) Having a hard time getting motivated and staying motivated.

Hello and Welcome to all the new members we have. This is a great group and you will get all the help. tipsand support that you could ever ask for right here.

I guess I need to get up off the couch and from in front of the fireplace and do some exercises but when it is snowing like crazy it is so easy to make excuses!! I need to stop that!

Everybody have a great evening.
Hi Karen,
I got that DTOUR book (was featured in last month's Prevention booklet). In it there are little blurbs about current research on each page. Here's one I read last night - "4 hours or more of inactivity causes a near shutdown of an enzyme that controls fat and cholesterol metabolism." p. 4.

I am trying to think of some "in-front-of-the-tv" exercise I could do every 3.5 hours. Any ideas? You and I could do this together. I do my gym exercise every morning & then for most of the rest of the day on many days, am sitting in front of tv or computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannp View Post
What keeps me motivated: When Katrina hit, a couple named J and R lost everything they had, where they lived got hit really hard, there was sickness, despair, and they had nothing. They had heard that Kentucky was a nice state, and they opened the map, and closed their eyes and pointed. They came to my town. About a year and a half ago, I met J. She is 17 yrs younger than me, and she quickly became the daughter that I never had. I could not have raised a daughter that loved me more, one who treated me so well, one that was so devoted to me. She is a health nut, eats right, exercises daily, and I mean exercises, not just a walk, or a few minutes of cardio. She is so proud of me, every pound that I lose she makes me feel like I have accomplished the ultimate. I know that God sent J into my life for lots of reasons, this is one of them.
Susann
Hi Susann,

Your story about your relationship with J gave me goosebumps. I am sorry for all of her losses, but happy you two found each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Hi everyone.
Lynn, what motivates me? Wanting to be able to be active and play with my grandkids. I don't want to be one of those grandparents who just sit and watch. We have taught them how to ride a bike, I practice soccer with them, and play how to pick up "grounders". I don't like sitting on the sideline!

Freda
Hi Freda,
Keep on movin! Best way to stay fit and young.

My plan for today is to make those zucchini muffin tops. + I want to make another high-fiber vegetable thing. Last week that really helped curb my appetite. Other than that, just do my course, maybe start organizing my scrapping room, and figure out some kind of living room exercise to do every 3.5 hours.

Lynn