3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Active Folks Over 50 -- #23

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #61
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone! I have been MIA. Missed everyone Welcome Candy!!

I have had a busy week. We have had good weather and I have been down to the beach walking.
Been to the gym several times. Went shopping in the states one day and got some material for another quilt. Prices so good I could not resist. That one is in holding pattern for now. It is quite a mindless project but requires your attention. Sort of a meditation kind of hobby. Works for me. Mind you a few times as I was cutting fabric with the rotary cutter I could see me running into a finger if I did not watch out.

Weight has not budged. Had too many meals out. Though it is nice it does throw me.
Thanks for the ideas Laurie. I have all my squares cut out and they are lying on the spare room bed. Going with the diamond shape for the square and it has come out to a pretty good size. I am going to put a black border around it and I found a nice piece for the back in a cotton in the states. I have moved the colors around till I think they are ok. Now I just have to pick it up and start sewing. I hesitate as this may be the downfall.
But will start sewing the strips maybe next weekend and if that goes well it will be nothing to sew the strips together. It looks fabulous laying there now. But we will see.
Laurie not sure what kind of quilt you got. I know I bought a down duvet and it is a king on a queen bed. The shams sold separate so I just bought regular as did the skirt. So it worked ok. But the bed kits are out as the shams etc are always a king.
Jay your driveway place looks great. I am sure your driveway looks fabulous.
Linda I can not believe you are in the snow. Try the west coast. I have a friend in Winnipeg and she has water up to the wall of the underground parking from the Red River backing up into the Assiniboine River.

I was working in the garden yesterday. A neighbor had dirt delivered for the garden and offered me some so I hauled several pailfuls over to the back garden. I can not grow anything so maybe this will help. I need to add some plants. Going to get lots of flowers this year. The secret is to water them that is my downfall. I think it rains enough but it does not. I have some Hosta's just starting to come up and those I love. They take care of themselves.
I am back at work today. OMG I am exhausted already. We are knee deep in chocolate Easter eggs. No word of a lie. And they had a cake decorating contest while I was gone. Jeez.
So hope everyone is well and spring is almost here and for Jay....summer.
There were people down at the beach working on their tans already. Made me wish I had brought my blanket.
Gotta go cheers....jude
Old 04-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #62
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Candy We LOVE new folk! I will be 52 this year Please send that warm weather east to us in MI! It is still cold and windy here.

Jude Eating out is hard for me too! I can do it once a week and maintain. Any more than that and I have to make a concerted effort to cut back somewhere or else Thus, maintaining is GOOD!

Stick to your plan, otherwise all tha chocolate could be a problem We missed you, girl! Glad you are back!

Jay - Happy Tax Day! I know you must be thrilled that you are back to editing and the tax work is done for a while!

Good day here - way too busy. Usual work day, then I did a presentation at the business college in town regarding PDAs - how I use them, and how we use them in the school district. From there - straight to church for an administrative council meeting, and finally home at 9:30.

On the bright side, no opportunity to overeat. And - I did slide in a shape boxing workout with DH for 45 minutes

I brought home potted tulips from church (parishioners can purchase them in memory of someone for the Easter services and then bring them home afterward to plant in their gardens). The cat is very excited to have potted plants in the house. I can't wait to see what morning brings ...

Have a great day all!

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own? ICor 6:19
My Pictorial Journey " " My Goal Story
Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #63
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Jude--good to see you back!

I have to say, you quilters are a lot more ambitious and skilled than I can claim to be. Sewing was just never my thing, although the times I did make something it turned out OK.

Hey Candy, glad to see you! Jump on in! What kind of farm do you have?

Thanks for the happy tax day wishes, CD. All my clients have been taken care of--either filed on time or filed extensions.

I have an interesting proofreading project. It's about the role of food in politics in Morocco. Yeah, kind of a specialized work. This is for a university press--I get to read a lot of scholarly works for them. A nice diversion from editing biology, but there's some of that, too.

Food has been OK--but I did have a couple days where I went over my limit, and that stalled my loss. I'm happy to say it was not Easter candy that was the culprit, though--just because I think that is such a waste of calories. Instead it was too much of usually weight-loss-friendly foods. Stress eating. But, things are getting evened out again. I'm starting another 4-week goal today.

And here it is, the middle of the week!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll : 04-15-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #64

S/C/G: S 299/C 247/G 140

Height: 5'6"

Default Thanks

Thank you for the kind welcomes, I feel so special.
I have decided that this is my year for finally getting my weight under control. I have been a member of 3 chicks for a while, reading the boards and posting occasionally. I always hate to just jump in, kind of like interrupting a conversation. But I decided that it would be nice to get to know some of the nice people on these boards. So I interrupted you.
I have gained a lot of weight through the years, starting after I had my first child, I have four children so I really packed the pounds on.
Two years ago my husband left and quite honestly this improved my life. Even though he did this in a crummy way, no warning and taking all our money, I feel like I have been given a new life. My children are grown, ages 18-24. They still live at home with me. My two daughters and I are now in college. I decided I was going to need a way to support myself so two years ago I began taking online classes from a KS college. I now have two years left and then I will have my degree in education. My daughter Josey is going to school to get her bachelors degree in nursing and daughter Tobey will have her degree in education in two years too. We live very frugally. My son's are keeping everything else going while we go to school. Before my husband left I had a little homestead here on our 5 acres. I had huge gardens, milk goats, milk cow, poultry, bees, and I also homeschooled the kids. So the boys do most of the chores, plus cut wood for our heat, and are starting a woodworking shop. We are all lacto-ovo vegetarian so no butchering going on here. Cannot handle that.
Sorry I went on so long. I hope everyone has a great day. I have some studying to do, tonight I am going with the kids to an Arlo Guthrie concert. It doesn't get much better than that.

Take care
Candy
Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #65
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

I'm here, just not feeling all that great today.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #66

Jay, Glad to hear you have a new goal set, and that you get to do some unusual editing. Sounds like a fun project, actually! I know that - with your determination, you will be right back in loss mode!

Linda - sorry you aren't feeling well - hope it is short-lived! Spring is coming

Candy another vegetarian I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 27 years. Our kids have remained vegetarians as well
You picked a good field - we really need good teachers right now. I work for a school district as a techie, and I'm hoping to retire in the relatively near future (4-7 years).
So glad you jumped in. And - for the record - this is a great forum with a lot of very nice and very smart and very supportive chickies. You couldn't have landed in a better spot.
The concert sounds great! I've never seen Arlo in person, but we have some of his music - I bet his concerts are VERY entertaining!

Whew - good day here. Work was productive and the weather is glorious. I was able to ride the scooter (it was a balmy 33F when I left for work). It was so nice that DH and I started raking the gardens when we got home. So, my exercise was 3 hours of raking and garden clean-up. I am absolutely dog-tired!
Yet, I am ecstatically happy because I painfully remember being able to work only 30 minutes or so in the not so distant past. What a blessing to be able to be so physical again!

Hope you are having a good evening!

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own? ICor 6:19

Last edited by CountingDown : 04-25-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #67
Day at a Time

Hi there. Working tonight. Food is lousy this week. Grrr. Really feeling like I am never going to break out of this cycle. Not sure what my problem is. Did not make it to the gym today as I slept in. But will get there tomorrow.
Actually feel like I am getting a cold. I never get sick so not sure what that is.
Weather is lovely though. Glad this is a short week. Feeling very frustrated with myself.
Wow you have quite the story to tell Candy. Sounds like quite the family you have there. Good for you on going back to school. And wonderful that the kids are there to keep things running. Good luck in all of what you do.
Great that CD has a vegan ally!!!
Not much to say today so will start again tomorrow. Trying not to be to hard on myself but I am getting tired of the struggle. Not sure who I think I am kidding...
It is stress eating. Maybe everyone can share on what they do rather than stress eat???
have a great evening......Jude
Old 04-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #68
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey jude!

I find that skipping the workout or at least a walk when I'm under stress is a recipe for stress eating. Sometimes I end up doing some stress eating anyway, but at least if I've been physically active, the "damage" isn't too bad.

Planning is always a help: A list of snacks I can have that will work with my program. It can be dangerous to be in a state where you're just looking in the cupboards or the fridge for the unspecified "it" that will make you feel better.

We have another concert on Sunday. This one is classical music.

By the way, folks, here is a rather wonderful YouTube video from the British version of American Idol, Britain's Got Talent, featuring a woman named Susan Boyle. You have to hear the sound, so if you're at work, use headphones?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY&NR=1

Jay
Old 04-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #69
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . .

Busy day today -- spent the morning at the hospital with a friend -- have to go back this evening for my own chest x-ray -- as usual, the place was a zoo. At least it is sunny, but windy and barely above the freezing mark. To top it off, I`m still not feeling too great. Oh well.

Oh yes, JAY . . . I saw her on the news last night . . . she has the most fantastic voice. Apparently she even made Simon smile happily.

Well got to get moving and shaking -- things to do and places to go. Ruthxxx (one of the other mods) is coming here for the weekend. I picked up theatre tickets (local amateur production of the Vagina Monologues) for Saturday night and now I`m off to another neighbouring town to get tickets for a local dog show on Sunday.

See you all later.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #70

Jude - stress eating:
1. exercise regularly - it is a must
2. keep low cal, low damage foods ready to go. It is hard to do too much damage with baby carrots and broccoli slaw
3. Hot tea, I make a cup of hot tea and drink it first. It usually takes the edge off the stress and often keeps me from eating at all.
4. Relaxation, prayer, meditation - whatever works for you.
5. Take a bath - by the time you are done, you will feel better, the urge will have passed.
6. Stick some gum in your mouth, and head outside - away from the food.

Jay - thanks for posting the link - I saw her this morning, but just a snippet. Watching the whole clip was priceless! I don't follow Idol, but I've seen enough clips to enjoy seeing Simon's face

Linda - let us know how you like the theater production. It is on my short list of things to see.

A good day overall, but I had a flat on my scooter I don't have the strength to get the tire off the rim (or the right tools) so DH is gonna have to change it for me. Thankfully DS2 was home when I called and he came and picked me up. He even went back later and got the scooter for me. It IS a blessing to have him home with us right now

Gotta fly - still some daylight out there - more gardents to clean

Old 04-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #71
Day at a Time

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I am sick today with a cold. I never get sick but someone here has been hacking and coughing all week.
Great.
Feel tired and sore. Looking forward to a peaceful weekend.
Did not make it to the gym this morning. Tried to sleep but the phone rang twice.
Drinking lots of water and running to the bathroom...
Talk tomorrow.....Jude
Old 04-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #72
Onward and Downward

Good Morning.

Think I'll be a little scarce around here for the rest of this month. My cousin, Jamie (we've been as close as brother and sister all our lives) finally lost a long battle with cancer yesterday.

Now, as I mentioned before, Ruthxxx is arriving today to spend the weekend with me. Guess I'll try to get on the same flight as she is on for the trip to Ontario on Monday morning. This should time out okay because his oldest son told me last night that there will be an autopsy to verify cause of death (something to do with the fact that he was a fireman). He will then be cremated and then there will be a memporial service. Liam didn't think anything much would be happening before next week anyway.

So, if you need assistance and can't find me, just scream for another Mod and someone will show up -- probably Ruthxxx.

See you soon . . .

Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #73

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi to all and Welcome Candy,
I really messed up over Easter and regained a couple of pounds. I liked the stress suggestions, something I really need right now.

Jay you're right I need to post more often. I'm going to make that a goal this month. Listening to everyone's ideas always give me a boost in the right directions.

I've been cleaning out the yard and it's been wonderful getting out in the spring weather. I'll be back soon. Lori

Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #74

Linda - our prayers go with you! We will miss you, but I hope you have a good visit with Ruth and with family!

Lori - I hope you do post more - we DO miss you when you are gone! Isnt' this weather glorious? I got more yard work done today as well
Don't fret over the stress eating or the Easter lbs. Just get back at it, surround yourself with healthy things and keep moving. You will be OK!

DH fixed my flat tire today, so I am back scooting I put the patio back together after work, so we had our first fire in the firepit tonight. It really does feel like spring has finally sprung around here

I'm going to try to get some more spring cleaning done this week - and pack for the trip of course

I'm looking forward to getting out of town for a while!

Hope you are all having a good start to the weekend!

Laurie

Old 04-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #75

S/C/G: S 299/C 247/G 140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Everyone,
Meowee, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I have lost too many people to cancer.
I hope that you have a safe trip. You are in my thoughts.
Take care of yourself
Candy
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.