Active Folks Over 50 -- #22

You're on Page 6 of 14
Go to
  • Hi everyone. What a group.
    Everyone is exercising and losing and stay OP. I have had a good week as well. Down a couple of pounds so happy about that.

I am a bit like Linda though. I always wonder if I am going to stay down. I am battleing the Easter candy here at work and am winning. So happy about that.
    Jay sounds like I have a similar eye problem. They have said viral infection as well but it started with an actual tiny tear that does not want to heal. Actually today it is about the best it has been for a long time and I am in a much better mood. My moods sure affect my food plan. Or should I say wipe out the FP.
    Next week I am going to get in some exercise no matter what. Maybe start on Sunday. It is supposed to be a rainy day so a good day to go work out.
    Good work to Laurie and Linda and Susan for the weight loss.
    Jada I am right behind you on that scale. Well you passed me!! So now I want to be in the 220's as well. If I can stay OP this weekend and get in a walk that will be great.
    I did some cooking last night to pre plan. Nothing worse for me on the weekend is not planning. I will eat a good breakfast then all of a sudden it is 4pm and I have not eaten all day and then I am grabbing all the wrong things.
    I think that timing your food is huge. It has been a big downfall of mine. I actually think it is just lazy weekend habits and an excuse to eat the wrong things. I like no structure on the weekend and so that may be my first clue. But this weekend I want to hang onto that loss and add to it.
    Hope everyone has a great weekend.
    Cheers....Jude
  • I'm so happy for everybody who lost weight. There's no greater happiness than to see the scale go down (and to hear chocolate is good for you).
    I love hearing weather reports from everyone. It's so interesting to read about what's happening in other parts of the world.
    It makes me nervous to buy things without trying them on. I do it, but it makes me nervous. Nice when they fit, especially to have perfect fitting jeans. Always fun to try out a new scale too.
    It's beautiful in Las Vegas. Turned on the air conditioner today. I also set up my calories today like I set up my check book as I love budgeting and making lists. I have two columns with calories used and the balance. I also wrote down the times I will eat and what, or I will eat everything in one sitting.
  • Well still at work same day. I am working hard to stay OP. Just thought I would take a look at the BMI scale. Now that is a scary thing. I would have to be 16o to be out of obseity and into just overweight. Now that would be nice. Either that or I have to start to grow.
    Always nice to come back and see a post from some else.....
    Jude
  • Oh, Jude, it would be great to weigh 160!! We will do it!! It's 9:30PM here, and I'm not hungry. Looks like I'll make it to bedtime without cravings.
  • I don't understand my not losing weight, but I've enjoyed "budgeting" my calories. I have my daily eating plan on my fridge and I have a weeks worth of daily menu sheets so I can check off what I eat, so I don't conveniently forget to write something down. Better get walking. It's great weather today. Have a good day everybody.
  • Hi everyone!

Jada, just keep going! You'll get results. Every day you stay with your plan is a day closer to a loss. Things go up and down, and we can't control those fluctuations. All we can control is our eating and our exercise.

Today I got out my handy pressure washer and washed the carport and entryway to the house. I have to do these things in sections or it's just too much. But I love my pressure washer. In Florida, algae grows on things because of the damp climate (we're having a drought at the moment, but it's still humid). So, from time to time it has to get cleaned. I used to use a long-handled brush and a bucket and hose, but one day I saw that small pressure washers could be had for less than $100. Well! No more brushwork for me!

Anyway, it took a couple of hours of physical work, and my lower back is complaining... it may be time for a nap. We went out for a late lunch--I had a waffle and two eggs and some bacon--but I'm still at only 1000 cals for the day.

Jude, just keep taking care of that eye--it's really hard because we use our eyes so much, but it must be done. Warm packs are good. Glad to hear you are down a couple pounds!

CountingDown, I'm in the market for jeans these days, too. I need a smaller size--my old ones are falling off.

See ya!
    Jay
  • Hi all.
    Well, I ripped a pair of jeans last week, were they too tight? I guess not because the next day at school, a tiny little 3rd grade girl came down in the morning with a rip in her jeans in the same place! Not too tight on her, so just wear. It was quite a coincidence!
    I am back down to almost where I was before Hawai'i. Finally!! I am still hungry, but I can handle it.
    Things at work are better for me. I talked to my boss about it. He seems to be coming down on some other people though. He is stressed! I guess it is his turn. He's been eating chocolate at 9:30a! That's his way to deal with it. He's in good shape though, and most the time he watches what he eats. He talks about being on a diet a lot. I don't really talk about it with anyone at work; not many people at all.
    My son is getting out of the Army! He is back in the states, going to be up here soon! It will be so nice to see him, and be able to keep in contact better. He plans on living in Georgia. He really liked it there when he was stationed at Fort Gordon.
    It's a beautiful day here! Getting Springy!
    Everyone, have a great day!
  • Hi all - busy day and another quick post. I read everyone's posts today and it looks like everyone is busy too!

My victory for the day was brownies. I ADORE brownies fresh out of the oven. I made them for "coffee hour" tomorrow at church. Well, it took me until 50+ to be smart about it, but I made them in my mini muffin pans. Bite size little brownies. AND - I was able to eat only one of them and not scarf down the whole pan

It worked so well that I'm thinking I can make mini brownies and freeze them every so often. Perfect little chocolate treats

I found more jeans this weekend at Fashion Bug. Their entire sale rack is marked $5.98 - so if you are needing jeans ...
  • I can't get over how good I feel, emotionally and physically. I feel like my old self before my husband got sick. It's a wonderful/happy feeling to be back to my old self. It's been fourteen years. Eating too much sure affects you in more ways than one. I haven't had any trouble with my stomach since I started 3FC. I can enjoy lots of onions again without having to use Pepcid.
    I organized lots of paperwork today and threw out lots of junk. Found my old pedometer I thought I threw out. I must have been holding on to hope. I'll have relearn how to use it. Now I can start counting mileage instead of time.
    Jay: That was quite an accomplishment to clean the carport.
    Jen: I'm so happy for you that things are getting better at work. How wonderful to have your son out of the Army. I would have been worried sick. I was in the Army too for three years (many years ago).
    CountingDown: $5.98 for jeans!!! Unbelievable. Sounds like you had a fun day shopping. It's hard to believe you stuck to eating only one mini brownie. I'm not sure I could do it.
    I'm going to watch a DVD, Stephen Kings "Rose Red." I'm done eating for the day. Going to play with trying to figure out my pedometer while I'm watching it.
  • Hi . . .

Still holding the eating together although I did sneak up a few notches on the carb allotment for a couple of days, but the calories stayed good. No more scale movement though. Hey, I have faith in all of us. We will succeed as long as we keep on doing our best.

We've got sunshine today and the temperature is supposed to sneak up just slightly above the freezing mark. Not exactly spring-like yet, but I have faith in that, too. It will arrive.

Hope the rest of the weekend is good to everybody.
  • Meowee, I'm glad for you that your eating going well. Your weather must be improving since you didn't say anything about it.
    My official weigh in today was 229 lbs, the same as last Sunday. I'm pretty happy about that since it kept going up to 230 or a few pounds more. Making broccoli a part of every meal is helping me to stay on track. What works best for me is to mix frozen chopped broccoli, onions and applesauce together.
    I'll be busy today with family and preparing my meals. At 1200, there's not much to fix. I love not having so much cooking to do, and less dishes to wash, and less grocery shopping. Love it, Love it, Love it.
  • A quiet Sunday here in northern MI.
    It so 50 outside - so I'm going to get some raking done. The dog certainly isn't a blessing after a winter full of "activity" residing in the yard

We have a dessert smorgasbord for our Lenten Study tonigh. So LOTS of veggies, protein and water today for me. DH and I discussed our sharing strategy - hopfully we can hold each other accountable.

Gotta fly - that sunshine is calling!
  • Hi! I see you've all been busy this weekend.

Jada, did I see you say you keep yourself to 1200 calories per day?

JLouBug, I'm glad to hear you've almost lost that Hawaii weight! Will we ever get a photo or two? Glad to hear your son is getting out of the Army.

A dessert smorgasbord, CD? What about people who have given up desserts for Lent? Well, good luck!

I hope your eye is still getting better, Jude. By the way, did you ever make it to the symphony?

meowee, you did mention the weather--it was just that it sounded good for a change! I hope you've been enjoying that sun.

I went to the gym today. I rode 7-1/2 miles on the exercycle. I thought about how my friend who is doing the AIDS ride is doing a 53-mile training ride today... Let's see, that's 7 times farther than I went... and she's only a year younger. I think I'm underestimating what I can do!

Have a good evening,
    Jay
  • Jay - that is a LOT farther than I could ride. My backside doesn't like the bike much. Now walking on the other hand ...

And, I'm betting that you could go a lot further if you wanted to. You are a very disciplined person that can do pretty much anything you set your mind to. The question is - do you WANT to go further? Or, are you liking the variety of your workouts that challenge your entire body - not just your legs and glutes?

The smorgasbord went well. They did have some veggies, crackers, chips, and cheese for the diabetics in the crowd. Methodists aren't big on giving up things for Lent - though some do. Very few give up foods. Most of us use Lent as a time to practice spiritual disciplines and be more intentional in areas of spiritual growth.

I sampled 9 different desserts. DH and I split "halves" of things, so I really only had a bit or two of each. I did make sure that I had lots of veggies and protein earlier in the day.

I wore my new jeans with a belt - it really helped I guess - bottom line - I planned for the event, and stuck to my plan.

It was actually a cathartic experience. I ate several different items - choosing only the very best and "worth it" desserts. I enjoyed every bite and had no desire to binge or overeat, even though there were 5 different kinds of cheesecake alone.

It made me realize just how far I have come, and how much I have changed over the last 2 years. And, that maybe - just maybe - I can eat eat all things in moderation.

Oh, and we took the scooters to church - it was glorious to actually be out riding again!

Hope you all have a great start to the week!

Laurie
  • I did well today.
    Jay: Yes, I'm on 1200 calories I started on Friday, I think. I'ts only psychological. I figure if I keep my menu at 1200 calories, then the extras I eat won't mess me up, like the the sour cream I sneak on my omelette in the morning, the V8's (one or two) and the broccoli salad I eat when I'm hungry. I figure I actually eat about 1560 calories, not counting the broccoli. I read where broccoli is digested well in the stomach, so does not add any calories in the long run, so I don't even count it. I figure if I set my calories at 1600 and did the little sneaky things, than my calories would go up to 1800 or more.
    laurie: It was wonderful to hear that you were able to enjoy yourself and your food while eating in moderation and to see how you've changed. Must have felt good to eat healthy and have fun too.