Active Folks Over 50 -- #22

You're on Page 2 of 14
Go to
  • Hey!

Another smashing day at the gym with the trainer.

Not much to add, I guess. Cold again here--had a nice fire in the fireplace this morning. It IS only early March... Maybe you heard about the football players whose boat capsized in the Gulf. Really sad--this front came in like gangbusters.

meowee, good for you for staying OP in the midst of the "end of the world" up there! Jeez!

Laurie, you really love that Wii Fit!

Hey to everyone... C'mon in and post!

Jay
  • Hi to everyone!
    Congrats on the weight loss Jay...excellent.

Lauri I really know nothing of this WII thing. Do you only use it to exercise or do you play games on it too? Is it like playstation?

Jada, I think that the weather in Las Vegas must be awesome. Mind you it is cold and rainy here and so the heat would appeal to me but the summers are too hot.

As for me well my best plans have run astray. I worked so hard last Friday and Saturday. My son moved into a new condo which I had painted. Well we were there doing stuff till 1am Saturday morning and they had not cleaned. So I offered to come back in the AM and clean the place. Now this is the builders responsibility but it had not been done and it needed to be.
    So I was back there early and that was a workout in itself.

I had to take a ladder as there is a vaulted ceiling with high windows that were filthy etc. Plus his kitchen cupboards are built for someone way taller than me. I was way up the step ladder cleaning them out. Cleaned out light fixtures, washed down wall tile and washed floors.

The movers showed up half way through which was tough luck for me. I ended up helping unpack stuff and then had to clean around it. Now I am not complaining. But that was the workout for 3 days.
    He and I sat on the couch about 9pm and neither of us could move. I enjoyed being able to help and being apart of a big day for him. This is his very first home!!

So my fabulous plan for the gym will have to wait till tomorrow. I am still tired. Almost made it this morning but felt like I was getting the flu or something. Just too much at one time. I should be great by tomorrow.

The little voice in my head is nagging me though. I am trying to put me first. But as the saying goes " life happens while you are making other plans"
    Hope fully tomorrow I will be on my feet again.
    Cheers Jude
  • I stayed within my calories today. My life is pretty quiet right now, which is nice. I try to deny that I'm an emotional eater, but I have to admit when my life is peaceful, it sure is easier to eat healthier.
    Congratulations to everybody who had a good day of exercising and healthy eating. I started stretching my shoulder muscles with weights (I used cans)
  • Guess Mother Nature figured ice wasn't enough so she gave us about 1/2 inch of snow on top. Glad I'm not going anywhere. At least we are getting sporadic sunshine to go with the very cold temperatures.

Working on day four . . . weighed myself and I'm done 3 pounds in 3 days . . . oh yah, right -- guess I'm dropping some water weight. Knowing me this nice downward bounce will probably go up again. As long as the total for the month is down, that's okay with me.

Have a great day, gang . . .
  • I like how this thread doesn't put down women. I guess it's a big joke, but I don't find it humorous to make fun of how women's body's changes as they get older. My mother was almost seventy and she said she felt prettier than she ever did. I'm 56 and I still have men whistling at me, even at my weight. I hear things about how unfair it is, that men look more distinguished as they get older, and women look older. I think women look prettier and more intelligent as they get older, just like men.
  • Oh Jada I so agree with you. I remember the first time I heard the expression that women become invisible at 50. Well to some people maybe.

I have never felt invisible. But I can say that the weight has made me want to be invisible sometime.
    Sounds like you and your mom are a couple of good looking gals!!

Cheers....Jude
  • Hi folks. Today was my day off from the gym. Mostly I've just wanted to take a nap!

I agree--bodies just change with age, and so what? I suppose we want to leave a beautiful corpse?

This Saturday I have a trip down to the town we used to live in further south. I have a few tax clients there to visit. We'll also go out for a tasty lunch with some friends. I'll have to plan, plan, plan in advance.

Maybe I'll try to drop in on my old YMCA--or at least go for a walk. It's a two-hour drive each way, so lots of sitting in the car.

Hope you're all getting through Wednesday...

Jay
  • Late night at church meetings. Just enough time to read everyone's post and say hi. I think I look BETTER now than I did 10 years ago - I am aging gracefully. (of course the fact that my eyesight is failing has NOTHING to do with that observation)

Have a great trip Jay!

I will catch up more tomorrow.
    Hi Everyone, I just joined and this is a bit confusing. I like the idea of communicating in my age group because losing weight is a lot different when you are younger. That hormone thing... It looks like you all have been losing a lot of weight, how have you done it. I am just starting to look for a diet that I can use to try to lose this weight. Any suggestions?
    Carolmac007:?
  • Carolmac007,

Hope you are finding your way around! It's a big site with lots of forums.

I'd say the best program is one that you can make work for you. I'm a calorie counter because that's easy for me to do, but Weight Watchers is appealing to some people, and then there are all the "name diets" like South Beach, Atkins, NutriSystem, and so on.

Ask yourself things like--do you have to cook for others, and if so, would you have to cook separate foods for yourself on one diet or another? How much time can you devote to preparation? Do you like cooking, or would you rather have already-prepared foods? At your job, can you bring your own food for lunch and snacks? Are you vegetarian? Do you have health issues like diabetes or high blood pressure? All of these can help you decide on an approach.

hijude, wow, what a lot of work! I guess you must have really enjoyed helping out with it. How old is your son?

Gotta keep working now...

Jay
  • Hi all - hope you had a good day!

Carol Glad you found us! I didn't start losing weight until I was 50, so it can definitely be done! Like Jay, I count calories. I wanted something that I could do for the rest of my life. I needed a plan that was flexible enough to do while I travel. I don't do well with deprivation diets. Tell me I can't have it, and I want it all the more. I'm a stubborn soul

Check out the different forums and read about the different plans. The main page of 3FC has diet reviews as well.

If you have questions about any of the plans, just post on the specific plan thread - the folk are friendly and helpful!

The best advice I can give you is to pick something that you think fits for you and then, if it doesn't work - try something else. I've tweaked my program along the way many, many times. Trial and error seems to be the common thread for everyone that has lost weight at 3FC.

Laurie
  • I am having a really hard time getting back with my diet. I seem to be hungry all the time!
    Work has been a little stressful lately too, not sleeping well. It seems they had a survey of where the employees would want to cut back, supposedly totally private, but whoops, NOT! I am not sorry for my suggestions, and many people think the same things, but don't say it. I am sorry that I hurt some peoples feelings though. It isn't the people, it is their jobs I don't agree with. Why does it seem like it is always me who opens up a can of worms? I hate politics! Next week will hopefully be better. Tomorrow is Friday!
    Sorry for the complaining...
    It actually got up in the 50s today!
    Happy Thursday night!

• Carol
    Hey Jude- It sounds like you had quite a workout helping your son. Good for you. You probably used so many muscles, it certainly was a great workout.

Jada-living in the Detroit Metropolitan area, I know just what you're talking about-stress-stress-stress. So many people are worried and trying to find ways to cut back. We loose thousands of jobs each month. Most people I know have lost a job or have a spouse who lost a job. I hope things get better for you at work.
  • Hi everybody!! Jen, it's always you who opens a can of worms because your intelligent. People think I'm nice because I go with the flow. I'm not intelligent enough to know how messed up things are. I just know I want to start looking for another job.
    Welcome Carol!!! Joining this thread was a good start in meeting your health goals. Good luck and welcome aboard.
    My day went well.
  • Hi everyone.
    Well I can tell you I used to be the one that was head and shoulders above the crowd at work and I thought in my own rightous way that it was a good thing. Not now. I love to see the younger women fight the battles and slay the dragon. Let them be out front and center.
    It never served me well. I am so grateful that I learned to keep quiet. Well to me I am quiet but funny enough I am still considered quite outspoken. I have just given up the do or die battles.
    And you know it was just another thing to eat about.

Saying that, yes I did get quite the workout helping my son. But the control freak in my was out there front and center too. As the days went by I was wondering why I was feeling low and the food was a real problem.

Well back to square one. I had to look at my motives and let go a bit. My good friend George is doing all the painting for me. We have known each other for 30 years luckily. He does a fabulous job and I am the perfectionist. What a team. I think he is still talking to me.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that I am trying to recoqnize the things in life that trigger my food addiction. It is a huge job and I really do not have time to run anyone else's life but my own. Now my weight loss is up and down depending on how I am doing in my head.
    But I truly believe I am going in the right direction. For me it is not really about any particular food. It is about just wanting to eat to numb out my feelings. When I find another solution it is easier.
    Sugar wheat and flour are all things that I am trying to eliminate. But like Laurie said that can just make it harder sometimes. So for now I am following that plan but one day at a time.

I like the OA program as it is a spiritual recovery from a mental obsession. I seem to be a slow learner, at more than one thing.

So each day I get up and watch out for where I am being selfish/dishonest/resentful/fearful. For all those things take me right back to the food. It is a full time job right now as there seems to be a lot of housecleaning to do.

Whew long winded as always......Jude