3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~March Golden Girls~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/165651-%7Emarch-golden-girls%7E.html)

meowee 03-07-2009 02:09 PM

Just another quick :wave:

retiredone 03-07-2009 09:14 PM

Just a wretched week. I gained 2.5 pounds with everything happening-baby nearly here and FIL almost dead. We thought the baby was coming yesterday but it seems to be a muscle spasm in the back and FIL is failing fast. I just sat down and ate piles of ice cream and other things like cake, pizza and macaroni and cheese. Today was better.

ladyinweighting 03-08-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredone (Post 2644875)
Just a wretched week. I gained 2.5 pounds with everything happening-baby nearly here and FIL almost dead. We thought the baby was coming yesterday but it seems to be a muscle spasm in the back and FIL is failing fast. I just sat down and ate piles of ice cream and other things like cake, pizza and macaroni and cheese. Today was better.

Isabella, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. You've lost over 50 lbs!!!!! You'll get back on track again. Celebrate your family's new baby by getting back to your regular program of eating.

Love you,

Lynn

ladyinweighting 03-08-2009 09:58 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Yesterday I went to a scrabble group meeting. They are a little too technical for me. You would not believe the "words" they accept - "aaa" "za" "suq"!!!! I would prefer more socializing and fewer technicalities.

I have 3 more meetings scheduled - a history lecture, a hiking group and a genealogy group. Hopefully, I will find one or more of these more to my liking.

Still working on losing the !!@##$$%%^^ pound I gained at my DD & SIL's anniversary dinner. So frustrating - takes a week to lose it & 1 meal to gain it back!

Happy Daylight Savings Time Day,

Lynn

Bobbolink 03-08-2009 01:58 PM

A Good Snowy Afternoon to everyone.:snow4:
We're suppose to have 4 inches today, It's been in the high 40's for the last few days so naturally the roads are all ice. We slipped and slided to church and decided to stay home this afternoon. Usually we go into town for coffee and chats with family but it's turning into a blizzard.
Lynn...funny you should mention scrabble. Bruce and I have a scrabble board set up all the time. We don't actually sit down together to play, when it's my turn he puts my letters in front of the board and I make my play. Then I go do whatever housework I was doing before and he sits down and forms his words. It takes us most of the day and we enjoy keeping our minds active. I've used the word 'suq' before. We keep a dictionary on the table and look up new words we don't know. We cheat and use the scrabble word building book, not very professional but we don't care since we both use it on occasion. He keeps telling me he's going to quit because I always win. But I do the crosswords puzzles in the newspaper every night and I think that gives me an edge. I also plays scrabble on my computer with Maven, my foe.
You all have a great day!
P.S. I'm going to post a good Black Bean soup, check it out.

ladyinweighting 03-08-2009 02:39 PM

Hi Bobbi,

You wrote, "I also plays scrabble on my computer with Maven, my foe."

I'm looking for a software scrabble program. Do you know of one? Is Maven a person or a program?

Lynn

Bobbolink 03-08-2009 03:29 PM

Maven is a animated person that plays against me. My current scrabble game is one of many that came on my Hewlett Packard computer. You can play solitare, with Maven at whatever level you're comfortable with. About 8 years ago I purchased a Scrabble game at walmart that you download with the disc. That computer crashed and my scrabble game with it. I purchased a Hewlett-Packard computer to replace the crashed Dell and it had many, many games already on it. Scrabble was one of them, I can play it on-line with real people, solitare (not much fun) or play with an animated player named Maven. I can click which level I want to play too. You can google the game, have it charged to your Visa and down-load it. I must have given away my scrabble down load disc because I can't find it. I liked that game so much better than the one I use now. Maybe I'll check ebay and see what they have and the price. I'll let you know.

Bobbolink 03-08-2009 03:51 PM

Lynn...Ebay has 126 Scrabble computer games, some are only $9.95 and free shipping.

Geeeeze, I should know better than go into the Ebay site. I just purchased a new scrabble game, It's called Scrabble Journey. But this one sound exciting, here's the details: This was $9.95 + $4.00 shipping
Around the World in 26 Letters

Pack your bags, you are going on a trip! You have been challenged to travel the world in a mere 80 days. See different countries and uncover treasures, armed only with your Scrabble wits! Are you up to the challenge?! With dynamic landscapes, Scrabble Journey is the timeless game of Scrabble within exotic locales throughout the world. Classic Scrabble gameplay set in Europe, Russia, Asia and beyond!

PRODUCT FEATURES
  • Instantly return to any location you have unlocked for a quick Scrabble Journey game.
  • Collect over 100 rewards hidden throughout the game!
  • Bring the 1800s to life! All new art and animation transports you all over the world during this classic era of the 19th Century

meowee 03-08-2009 04:32 PM

Well . . . I won't bore you all with my usual harangue about Daylight Savings Time . . . I'll just stick with complaints about the weather. :lol: It's been snowing pretty much all day.

Must admit I've never played Scrabble on the computer -- lots of solitaire card-games and bunches of different variations on MahJong -- but no Scrabble yet. Guess I'll have to take a look.

Bobbolink 03-09-2009 10:06 AM

Good Morning, more information that we already know but it's good to read again. Dr. Weil reccomends 40 grams of fiber and you all know what a believer I am in high fiber.
4 Ways to Eat Anti-Inflammatory

Benefits of following an anti-inflammatory diet - now you can take the first steps to implementing it. Start by aiming for variety, including as much fresh food as possible, minimizing processed and fast foods, and making fruits and vegetables the foundation of your meals. Then focus on the following:
  1. Improving your carbs. The majority of carbohydrates in your diet should be in the form of less-refined, less-processed foods with a low glycemic load. You can do this by replacing foods made with white flour with healthier whole and cracked grains, and part-whole-wheat and buckwheat noodles such as Japanese udon and soba.
  2. Replacing your cooking oil. Whenever you can, use high-quality extra virgin olive oil as your main cooking fat (for a neutral tasting oil, use expeller-pressed, organic canola oil). Avoid safflower, sunflower, corn, cottonseed, and mixed vegetable oils, as well as butter and margarine.
  3. Decreasing your consumption of animal protein. Except for fish (such as omega-3 rich wild Alaskan salmon) and reduced-fat dairy products, animal-derived protein should be limited. You can easily replace meat with vegetable protein such as beans, legumes and whole soy foods.
  4. Eating more fiber. Try to eat 40 grams of fiber a day, simple to do if you increase your consumption of fruit, especially berries, vegetables and whole grains.

Bobbolink 03-09-2009 10:21 AM

We have to go into town today and check out alzheimer units. We have to move MIL out soon, they caught her twice walking out the door to visit the neighbors across the street. (no neighbors, just corn field stubble, she thinks she's home in her house)
You all have a better day than we're going to have.

The article below ties in with the other article but from a different source.
Quote:

Supplement, but as a last resort.
If you’ve tracked your food for awhile and are still coming up short, talk with your doctor about the need to supplement your diet. Fiber supplements come in capsules, biscuits, and even drink mixes. These will usually range from about 4-10 grams of fiber per serving, and can be found in the vitamin or supplement section of your grocery store. But fiber supplements, like vitamins, do not replace your body’s need for healthy foods.

More Fiber-Rich Tips
  • Choose fresh fruit and/or vegetables over juice.
  • To get more fiber and nutrients, eat the skin of cleaned fruits and vegetables.
  • Include bran and whole grain breads daily.
  • Drink more water to accommodate your increased fiber intake to reduce indigestion.
  • Eat less processed foods and more whole foods.
  • Try to meet your fiber requirements with foods rather than supplements.
  • A large increase in fiber over a short period of time could result in bloating, diarrhea, gas, and all-around discomfort. It is better to add fiber to your diet gradually over a recommended period of about three weeks, to avoid abdominal problems.

retiredone 03-09-2009 12:02 PM

Hello All. I'm not a game player at all. The last time I seriously played scrabble was about 45 years ago one summer when my "mainland" cousin was home with her family. We spent every afternoon playing on the living room coffee table. Then we'd go to the local chip shop and get a plate of chips (french fries). I also gained 15 pounds that summer. The chips were 15 cents for a small plate and 25 cents for large. Good thing I usually only had enough for a small serving.

FIL is still hanging on but we don't give him much longer. DIL still holding out on the new baby, lol but her due date isn't until the 19th but doctor says she'll probably go early. I guess Baby Boo will come when ready. DIL was admitted to the hospital over the weekend though. She was in awful pain and although the doctors could not find anything in the ultra sound or urine tests they think she had/has a kidney stone. Of course we all thought she was in labor when she started having pain but she's still got her "bun in the oven" not quite baked. :D

I've now had 3 good days in a row for eating (barring a total breakdown by bedtime). No exercise but I've been active shopping at least one day. I'll get on my bike later on this afternoon and get in almost an hour of peddling. I'll watch Martha Stewart make something with a million calories while I'm riding to nowhere.

meowee 03-09-2009 04:24 PM

:yay: I'm working on day 9 of good eating and it seems to be paying off. Scale said 210.5 this morning. Probably a lot of water in there but that's okay; it has to go too. Hope we can both hold things together, Isabella. :crossed: I soooooo want to see that magic lower decade that I caught a fleeting glimpse of way back last September sometime. :s:

It is actually :sunny: today although still pretty cold -- right around the freezing mark. Supposed to continue at least through tomorrow.

Have a great day, gang . . . :carrot:

retiredone 03-09-2009 07:14 PM

Here's to lower weight, Meowee. I had planned to be at goal by next Sunday but that's out of the question now. Maybe by the end of April or middle of May is a more realistic goal for me now.

ladyinweighting 03-09-2009 07:36 PM

Isabel & Linda,

I am SO SICK of losing the same pounds over and over and over. I just checked my graph & on this weight loss journey, I entered the 150's in September of 2007. Since then, I flirted for a VERY short time with the 140's, but, for the most part, have been up and down in the 150's.

I'm up to at least an hour of exercise a day & down to around 1100 calories a day. However, every time I actually start down again, I have a restaurant dinner, or a vacation & I start all over again.

Oh well, maybe I'll just have to accept 150 as my goal instead of 140. When all else fails, lower your expectations.

Lynn