3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

~March Golden Girls~

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
Bobbi

S/C/G: 160/129/124

Good Morning!
This article might be of interest to some of us that have Alzheimers disease in our families. My mom died of it two years ago and my MIL is in the middle stages of Alzheimers.
Our daughter was concerned about getting it from my side of the family but with it coming from her other grandmother, she's really concerned. I told her they'd probably have a cure for it by the time she gets older. (She's 39) I've never heard of a supplement of tumeric, I'll have to look into it today or start eating lots of mustard.

Quote:
Worried about Alzheimers?
Although the contributors to Alzheimer's disease are still being investigated, the regular use of certain supplements may help reduce risks and symptoms. Consider the following:
  1. Take a daily low-dose aspirin. Some studies link the use of aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) with reduced risk of Alzheimer's.
  2. Supplement with vitamins C and E. A recent study at Johns Hopkins University suggested that vitamins C and E taken together might slow the progression of Alzheimer's.
  3. Use a daily multivitamin that provides adequate levels of folic acid and other B vitamins. They help the body process homocysteine, an amino acid formed by the breakdown of animal protein. At elevated levels in the bloodstream, homocysteine has been linked to heart attack and stroke, and more recently with increased risks of Alzheimer's.
  4. Try turmeric, the yellow spice in American mustard and Indian curry. People in India have an unusually low incidence of Alzheimer’s, and epidemiologic studies suggest the regular consumption of turmeric as part of their daily diet may be a strong contributor to their cognitive health.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #17

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
Hi all,
At least the weather here has a limited menu. It either drizzles or rains, and the dull grey gloom is an all-day event.
Glynne, I am sorry that you gained the lbs but don't at least remember enjoying whatever brought them on. It may not even be anything you ate.
I'm at work (lunchbreak), but hope to get some time in on the Wii Fit tonight.
Did 1 1/2 hours in the garden last night as it was dry for once, and there are a few muscles aching that I had forgotten I had, so exercize it is for me!

Hello, Dutchgirl,

Welcome to Golden Girls.

Lynn
Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 AM   #18

Hi Everyone,

Nothing special planned for today. Hopefully, I'd do better with my eating than I did yesterday during our mini-snow-storm. For whatever reason (really don't know why), I tend to binge whenever there is a snow-storm.

Lynn
Old 03-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #19

Hi Everyone,
It's still cold and wet here. And yes, this is the coldest, and longest, winter I can ever remember! Spring, where are you. My sister in Ky. said that the spring flowers are beginning to pop through the ground. Doesn't that sound delightful?

Bobbi, the survey just seconds what all us Calorie Counters always knew. Calories in, calories out! Although you can make healthier choices in the calories you do eat. And, I have one word for tummy fat "spanks".

karen, Feel better. and girl, why didn't you call those people and tell them they needed to come another time?

Gail, It's really rotten not to even remember the things that made you gain weight. But it's usually those little things that slip up on you. A bite here, a french fry off the kids plate.....

Isabella, I see that in the hospital all the time. It's kind of fun, actually. If you have to be sick at least be in a room where you can enjoy the company!

Dutchgirl, I'm thinking it's panting season there? I'm drooling.......

Just have to pass this on. Have any of you tried the "greenbags" that are supposed to keep produce fresher, longer? I am the all time non-beliebver, but I got some in my stocking for Christmas and figured I might as well give them a try. WONDERFUL! I can't believe how long they have kept my lettuce nice and fresh and crisp! And they are reusable.

Make it a good day,
Freda
Old 03-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #20

Dutchgirl, I ment PLANTING.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

and a big to Dutchgirl.

We've had nothing but rain, rain, rain today. A lot of the snow has washed away and the local news was just telling me that there is danger of severe flooding in lower areas (luckily, I live on pretty high ground). Supposed to freeze up overnight and that will turn the entire Province into one big skating rink.

On the good news side -- I am working on the third OP eating day in a row.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #22
Bobbi

Freda..........I use the green bags for everything. My bananas keep much longer, I put all my fruit in them, apples, oranges, grapes as well as carrots, cabbage and lettuce. I take my celery out, wash and dry them and put in green bags. I wash the bags and air dry them when the fruits/veggies are gone and re-use them.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #23

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

evening all.........still sick. I have coughed me inside out. Wheezing and choking. Company is leaving at 3am! Don't wake me. The other company is out in the Atlantic on a cruise so can't call them. I am sure they will call before they start here from Cape Canveral Saturday and may just go home right up 95.... hoping. Back to bed....Karen3

Freda...they are picking strawberries and tomatoes down here. k
Old 03-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I've got the green bags but they don't seem to keep my bananas very good. They do keep them yellow longer but they ripen really mushy. But I find them great for everything else. Lettuce in particular keeps so crisp and fresh. I'm sure I've save enough lettuce to pay for the box of green bags. I saw them reviewed on TV and everyone was raving about them and I have to say they are well worth the extra dollars they cost.

I also have belly fat. I actually more belly than bum much to my dismay...sigh...only a knife would solve my problem but spanx will have to do at this time.

Karen3, you poor thing, you. DH is in the same condition and DS and his fiance had a stomach flu. I'm the only healthy person in the house. Mom even threw up today (not sure what that's all about as she was hungry after her stomach settled down and kept asking for more food!). We gave mom a gravol and some ginger ale with extra ginger essence added. Now she's out cold zzzzz snoring like a buzz saw.

We took mom shopping today at a large Walmart store an hour away from where we live. DS had a job interview in that town so we went along for the ride and got dropped off at the store. It poured rain most of the day but wasn't too bad going and coming. The temperature was really balmy today at 10 degrees Celsius.

Meowee, we've got the same weather again today. I love to see that rain instead of snow.

I almost have 3 OP days myself except mom wanted a few potato chips when we were out and I fell into temptation. I suppose a few fistfuls of chips won't do me in entirely but I was so not going to eat them but I did.

My FIL will probably not live through the week. The family has decided to take him off life support. My MIL asked me to sing at the funeral so I've been trying to pick out a song for that. DIL phoned today and said the doctor will induce labor next week if Baby Boo has not arrived. He/she is in position and ready to come. So we could be in the middle of a funeral and a birth on the same day or close to it. What a dilemma! I guess it will be the funeral and then a more than happy visit to DS's place to see our newest addition. I also have to make a cherry pound cake tomorrow so I can have it to give my sister for her birthday when we take mom to her place when the baby is born.

OK, I've gushed on long enough but I've got lots going on and I needed give vent to some of the pressure building up. I'm OK, really I am. Catch you all later with the ungoing saga.

Bike: 1613.03 Kilometres
Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 PM   #25

S/C/G: 215/192/150

Height: 5' 7"

I'll Fly Away
nice gospel song

Hope you feel better soon Karen.

green bags? really? I thought they were just a scam. Will have to try them.

Welcome Dutch girl.

Waving to everybody.....I'm off the bed.

Dieting is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.

There is no "try". There is only "do" or "not do".
Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #26

S/C/G: 200/200/150

Height: 5'5"

Dutchgirl!

Bobbi, that's interesting about the turmeric ... I've got a small bottle of it but can't remember why I bought it nor what it's good for ...

Yesterday (Tuesday) wasn't very profitable ... I'd decided to spend the day job-hunting (online), but got stuck trying to send an application that kept pulling up an 'error' message. Turned out, of all things, that I had cut and pasted the e-mail address ... and in its original setting it was the end of a sentence and had a period after it ... and I had included the period repeatedly -- and never noticed it!

Managed to get to my one book club meeting last night and only had a coffee (it's at a Big Bookstore that has a Starbucks in it).

Tomorrow I have some volunteer work to do in the morning but will make sure I get to the gym AND send out more applications ... including one or two more for positions at the place whose address I kept messing up!

Weather was brutally cold Monday but has warmed up and is supposed to continue to do so, by a degree or two each day, for the rest of the week.

Hope everybody is having a good week!

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #27
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Think I'll try some green bags too . . . like you FLUFFY, I figured it was a scam.

Looks like we are having somewhat different weather today, ISABELLA. You are going to be considerably warmer than us. At least we have a bit of sporadic sunshine.

Nothing else is exciting for me . . . hope everybody else has a great day . . .

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #28
Bobbi

Good Morning, I'll be back later to comment and chat! We have to run into town, errands, grocery store and meeting.
Quote:
Life Is Too Short,
Break The Rules, Forgive Quickly,
Kiss Slowly, Love Truly,
Laugh Uncontrollably,
And Never Regret Anything
That Made You Smile.
Life May Not Be The Party
We Hoped For,
But While We're Here, We Should Dance...
Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #29

Good Morning Everyone,

No special plans. Just doing a bunch of not-necessarily-pleasant-but-necessary tasks.

Ever have one of those days when NOTHING goes right? Every task I've called about has proven to be DIFFICULT! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting : 03-04-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #30
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I've just eaten a huge amount of pound cake. I made one for my sister's birthday and there was too much batter for the pan so I made a smaller cake too. Well, half of the small one is gone. What is wrong with me? Now, I have to get on my bike and ride half way around the world to get rid of that cake. And no more food today. Not a bite, not a bit, not even a sniff.

Everything is frozen today but not real cold. The ground isn't frozen hard under the snow so it will melt quicker once warmer weather comes. After yesterday's rain there was a channel carved out of the ice in the driveway where the water had run down to the street but it was partially frozen when I went out a short time ago. I was walking over the frozen part and the ice broke and my foot got wedged between the two sides of the channel. Did that ever hurt the side of my foot. But I did notice how mushy the ground was under the ice.

Have a good day and don't go near cake.

Bike: 1613.03 Kilometres
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.