Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~February Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Happy February,

My Southern cousins went back home yesterday. I only gained 2.5 lbs while they were here. I actually consider that a success! Their happiest moment was when it snowed. They went outside at midnight to try to make a snowman & got up at 5 am to make snow angels (before the snow changed to rain). I took them to Philadelphia, New Hope, and Hershey in the 3 days they were here. The reunion was a success. They had the cameras, so when they send me photos, I'll post.

OK - back to reality. My sister stayed with me last night. Maybe we'll go to the gym when she wakes up. In any case, I'm back to eating right today. Tried on my Spring Pants Challenge pants this morning. Have about an inch and a half to go until they button/snap.

Lynn
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Another month -- another fresh start.

We got a little fresh snow overnight and the sun was a bit slow in showing his face this morning and has been coming and going ever since. Oh well.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all...Just fast check in. Thank you for only sending chilly weather not COLD! Say that's coming later this week. Off to Home Depot to buy dirt and then to Publix for groceries. Never before moving to Florida did we buy dirt and don't mean potting soil. But just dirt. Have to keep holes filled or the rain makes pot holes and pot holes become sink holes and sink holes can eat your house......bye....Karen3
Old 02-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Happy Sunday ~ Happy February

Had an interesting start to my day. Opened the blinds in the family room and saw an armadillo in the back yard. I had seen them before, but never up that close. Woke my husband up to see too and got a couple pictures. Apparently it lives under our deck.

We have had fun over the years getting to see different creatures in our yard and getting pictures of them. In North Carolina we had some deer come right up in our yard (we lived in the city), and a big owl visited our trees. Also a possum was in a tree in our yard.

Up in Maine, we got to see a beaver swim by and loons on the lake. A moose came out of the woods into our yard. That was neat, but we weren't fast enough with the camera that time.

My parents lived in Ohio and came to visit us in Maine every year. Dad wanted desperatly to see a moose. We would go on drives along the roads where moose were often seen, but they never were there when we took Dad for a ride. It became a running joke about the lack of moose when dad was in Maine. Of course when that moose came in the yard, the kids had to call grandpa right up and tell him about it.

When I told my parents this morning about the armadillo, dad said he hoped to get to see it when he comes to visit, but that it would probably end up being just like the moose and he would never get to see it.

I am hopeful that I am back on the right track. Down 3 pounds. Making small changes. First thing ~ I am resisting buying snacks on the way home from work. My knees are feeling somewhat better (though after going up the front steps at my daughter's house yesterday, they are hurting again ~ thankfully not as bad as a couple weeks ago) so I am hoping to start walking for exercise again. Even if it is a little bit at a time ~ it is more than none at all

Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Take care
Old 02-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Hello all,

Happy Sunday ~ Happy February

Had an interesting start to my day. Opened the blinds in the family room and saw an armadillo in the back yard. I had seen them before, but never up that close. Woke my husband up to see too and got a couple pictures. Apparently it lives under our deck.

Take care
Hi Gayle,

Any chance you can post a pic of the armadillo?

If that were me, I'd be afraid to leave the house!

Lynn
Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 AM   #7  

Good Morning Everyone,

Scheduled for a blood test this morning, so I can't have my regular coffee and protein bar before the gym. Oh well, worse things have happened to nicer people.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 02-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #8  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I let myself have a "freebie" meal once a week to keep from feeling deprived. So Saturday evening went for Mexican. It was good. I was bad. I behaved on Sunday. My weight is up a whole pound this morning. Gotta get back on track.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/173.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Good morning everyone, and Happy February:

Here's hoping we all reach our monthly goal! January was slow going for me; I only lost four pounds. In hopes of finding inspiration and encouragement I did join a local "Biggest Loser" type of challenge, and this will be our third week. There's fifteen of us and we each put up ten dollars. Weigh in every Monday evening, which of course this Monday will probably hurt my weight loss, as I had a slice of pizza last night during the SuperBowl game and pizza makes me retain fluids. Not to mention the cheese and pepperoni sticks to my thighs.

I want to re-double my exercise habits this month and try to fit in at least thirty minutes each day rather than the three times a week that I have been doing. Mostly I need to jump-start my metabolism and if anyone has any ideas that would help, please share them with me! At this time in my life I have the metabolism of a speed bump. Not good!

Have a great day, folks -

farmgirl
Old 02-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Our resident rodent (Shubenacadie Sam) definitely saw his shadow this morning. Personally, I'm predicting about 8 to 10 more weeks of Winter since we usually get at least one good snowfall in early April.

My January weightloss was non existent. Hope I do better in February. Must get back into the Accountability Mode.

Have a good day, gang . . .
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #11  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
Sea...I've got something setting on my counter that keeps calling my name, Guatemalian sweet breads. There was an article about the new mall shop in the paper and I had to go check them out, I shouldn't have. These sweet breads are so delicious and I purchased two for hubby and two for me. I don't have a clue how many calories and I don't count calories on Sundays. But I only ate one yesterday, If I put it in the freezer I'll think about it all day. If I do eat it today, how many calories should I record. The lady that makes them said it doesn't have much butter or sugar in them.
Linda...It's going to be May 1st before we get rid of all our snow, I feel sorry for all the critters/deer who can't find food. We have two squirrel seats attached to a tree and those greedy squirrels eat the center out of each kernel and throw the rest away. I wish the deer would find the thrown kernels but it's probably too close the the house.
Glynn... I'd love to see the pictures too, what do they eat?
Lynn...I hate when I have my cholesterol checked, no coffee. That's worse than cleaning toilets. You have my sympathy!
Farmgal... What weight reduction plan are you on? If we know your eating pattern/life style that would help.
Quote:
if anyone has any ideas that would help, please share them with me! At this time in my life I have the metabolism of a speed bump. Not good!
Hi Karen3, Karen31, Isabella, Fluffy,Lily, I know I'm missing someone?
Rats.........I shouldn't have talked about that darn sweet bread, I'm eating it. On that note I'll say goodbye.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #12  
Want to feel better

Here are a couple pics of the armadillo

The info I read about them said they are omnivores and eat bugs, plants, fruit and vertebrates.

Lynn ~ I felt more scared of the racoons that came up on the deck. There was a mama and a couple little ones ~ the big one looked bold and scary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0164.jpg (28.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0166.jpg (41.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by glynne; 02-02-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Here are a couple pics of the armadillo

The info I read about them said they are omnivores and eat bugs, plants, fruit and vertebrates.

Lynn ~ I felt more scared of the racoons that came up on the deck. There was a mama and a couple little ones ~ the big one looked bold and scary.

Hi Gayle,

I've got a thing about insects and reptiles - are armadillos reptiles? I'd take a racoon any day. At least it's furry.

Lynn
Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #14  
Want to feel better

Lynn ~ the info I read about the armadillo (on a national geographic website) said it is a mammal.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #15  
Bobbi

Glynne...cute little fellow!
I have a 'Maxine' desktop calendar, I see a new Maxine joke daily.
The jokes usually respond to whatever is going on nationally and today's was about groundhog day.

Maxine says: I don't care how many weeks of winter are left...I just don't want that groundhog doing his business on my lawn!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 02-02-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Closed Thread