Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #151  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

This can be applied to our weight loss, be consistent in
counting calories/points, logging our food. Did anyone
catch the email going around about a HyVee store that
had a campaign about making their customers feel special?
A handicapped bag boy took it to heart, he wrote out a special
positive message on slips of paper and put them into each bag .
Soon everyone wanted him to bag their groceries because of
the positive message he wrote out and signed.
Don't be afraid to give your best at what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.

- Dale Carnegie

Do You Value the Small Tasks in Life?

Do you ever feel that you will never advance in your life or career and get that opportunity to do something BIG? Don't doubt the importance and impact on doing the smaller jobs in life! The key to this quote is being consistent--despite the level (or lack of) glamour or grandeur of your work. If you must scrub toilets, make them the shiniest, cleanest darn toilets on the block! In all things do the best you can, whether someone is looking or not. If you want to succeed in life, it is important that you have a strong foundation of consistent, hard work. Don't dodge the smaller tasks in an effort to hold out for the glamorous, important jobs. Put value in the small things and you'll reap a huge reward when you're put to the test!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #152  
Bobbi

Isabella...I thought of you this morning when I ran across a recipe for spicy Black Bean burgers. I might try them for something different but we have two years worth of Elk in the freezer and it doesn't keep forever. I read the reviews of the recipe and some complained they fell apart when cooking so they added 1 egg white.
I added that into the ingredients but the original recipe doesn't call for an egg white. I posted it in the recipe section.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarusty View Post
I have found out that if you count your protein each day you can lose weight, plus it cuts down on carbs also. I lost a lb. last week by just keeping track of my protein and keeping it close to 60 grams but that is low because of my kidney problem. I don't know the amount for someone without any health issues but I'm sure you could find out if you are stalled with weight loss. I was surprised all the foods that have protein in them. I am doing 1200-1500 calories. Of course there are days I go higher especially if we eat out and I have a glass of wine but I try to keep those to 1 day/wk. or less. Losing a pound or 1/2 pd./wk and that is fine for me....I should be able to keep it off.

Cold here in Ohio, maybe some snow tomorrow and Sunday but not much. It was only in the 20's today. We are missing Florida right now. Your right Bobbi I should probably change my name now! lol

Phyllis
Hi Phyllis,

I just got home from the endocrinologist. He suggested something similar. Question - how did you come up with the 60g goal?

Lynn
Old 02-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #154  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Bobbi, those burgers look like they'd be good. I find anything made with beans tend to dry out quickly as the beans keep absorbing any moisture they come in contact with. They egg would definitely keep them together better.

I went on the pound cake diet yesterday. I actually ended up eating about a pound of the pound cake I made. I'm doing trial wedding cakes for DS's wedding in July and I think yesterday's trial is going to be "the cake" for the wedding. I cut up 9 large slices and sent them to his fiance's family but as the cake was a large 10.5 inches there was plenty left. When the wedding finally arrives and the wedding cake is being passed out I'm going to have to politely decline saying I've already had a piece (or twenty).

We are in the middle of another snow storm. It started after dinner and should continue into the night. I'm guessing it will be over tomorrow. I haven't had on a radio, or looked on the internet or seen a tv weather report all weekend so that's why I'm guessing. The news and weather will be on in about 10 minutes so I'll have to watch and find out what's happening. DH will be driving home tomorrow if the weather is good. Hid father has improved a little but is still critical.

Must go get mom supper and try and keep away from that alluring cake.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #155  
Lifetime Loser

Hi Freda, good to see you again.

Lynn, missed being here and glad to see so many that I know still here. My kidney Dr. told me to do the 60 grams of protein because I am getting close to dialysis and maybe the diet can help keep me off it for longer.

Ask your Dr. what he would recommend. The dietitan I am working with said as adults we do not need the high amounts of protein that we normally eat and I must admit I do feel better. Cutting down on protein helps with lowering the carbs, fat, etc.

Phyllis
Old 02-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #156  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

We had a very messy day here in northeastern Nova Scotia. The only consistent thing was the really high winds. It's a strange storm and my little area seems to be straddling the imaginary snow/rain line and it's been switching back and forth between the two all day. Just before darkness fell, I'd have to say that I think rain won out because there seems to be a tiny bit less snow than there was at this time yesterday.

I definitely spent the day doing inside stuff, and mostly 'old-lady stuff' -- I was knitting slippers.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

evening...just passing by on my way to bed. Getting a cold I think. Achy and sneezy. Ate OP and drink extra water but really want momma's chicken noodle soup and vanilla ice cream.

welcome Liz....everyone here is a quiet and mature young lady. At least i'll be when I grow up. Be 69 this July and get a shock everytime I look in the mirow and see me.

We have a Lynn and now a new Lynn2, along with the 2 Karens.....gesh nothing like confusing me. Off to bed...don't care if it is still daylight....karen3

Last edited by Karen3; 02-23-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 215/192/150

Height: 5' 7"

Hey everybody. Just lurking and reading up on everybody.
I'm doing ok with the diet, no cheating but perhaps overdoing the fruit carbs but they taste so good!
Got the sealer on the walls today, so hopefully can get the paint and start soon, Tomorrow I'm taking my MIL to the museum and lunch. Both in-laws came for dinner last nite, and she thought Christmas was coming soon. I feel bad for her. Seems like she's losing ground quickly with her alzhiemers.....,it's most tough on my poor FIL though....hopefully getting her out will give him a little time for himself. I'm going to the doctor with them on Sat. Hopefully there are some resources that she can guide them to. I'm hoping that they will consider some home help just to give him a break more than twice a week.
It's pouring rain outside. Melting all the snow than has been here since Dec. 17th---we got 65 inches all at once. Never have seen so much snow. And it hasn't snowed much since.....bizzare.
Got to the gym and did the treadmill and some weight machines....felt good
Finally going to get the stupid washer fixed Wed.......8 days to fix a washer!!!! I hate going to the laundry mat.
I feel spring a commin.........
Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #159  

Hi Everyone,

Linda posted a link to the message below in another thread. I read & thought it was important enough to re-post here -

I attended a lecture this week given by Rudolph L. Leibel, head of Molecular Genetics at Columbia Medical School, titled Mechanisms For Body Weight Regulation. We’ve had several discussions here in Maintainers about hormones, weight regulation, and metabolic rates after losing weight and he answered some of our questions. I can’t say these were answers that I wanted to hear, but this is really important stuff, so bear with me and I’ll try to summarize.

The first part of the lecture was all about research into how our bodies regulate their weight. I don’t want to go into the science of it in detail – much of it was over my head! – but the overall picture is that we have a complex system of hormones that act on our brains which control appetite, metabolism, and fat storage. We’re born with certain genes that generate and control these hormones which are then affected by the environment in which we live. His research shows that obesity is about 60% a genetic predisposition with about 40% attributable to our toxic food environment (the way we eat and live today).

Here’s the deal – genetically, we obese (or formerly obese) are the survivors. We’re evolutionarily selected to live in times of famine, when food was scarce and we had to work hard to find it. Think prehistoric times, when dinner meant stalking a woolly mastodon for a week before you could kill and eat it. Then contrast that with how we live now, when dinner means picking up your cell phone and ordering pizza. Food today (often calorie dense) is readily available and requires virtually no work to get it. Our genes are evolutionarily adapted to hoard calories as fat and use them very efficiently. So this system works beautifully if you’re a caveman, but not so well if you work in an office cube.

What this means is that it’s easy for many of us to get fat – not news to most of us. It doesn’t mean that obesity is preordained or that it HAS to happen – that’s still determined by our environment, which boils down to what we eat and how we live.

The second part of the lecture was the reason why I was there – how do we apply this scientific knowledge to weight loss and maintenance? I’m going to break it down into key points -

It’s Calories In Versus Calories Out: He began the second portion of the lecture by citing the First Law Of Thermodynamics – in terms of obesity, it translates into Stored Body Fat = Food Intake – Energy Expenditure. We here at 3FC mean the same thing when we say that you have to eat less (food intake) and move more (energy expenditure) to lose fat. The science of weight loss all comes down to numbers of calories in and out. Forget all the pseudo-science diet books out there about what to eat and not eat – at the end of the day, it’s nothing but numbers and calories.

Dr. Leibel has a lab at Columbia Medical School where he locks in volunteers for up to 27 months and monitors food intake and energy expenditure. He has NEVER had a subject who hasn’t lost weight on a low-calorie diet. They may plateau for a while, which he says is the body replacing lost fat with water temporarily, but ALWAYS lose fat in the end. So he said that people who say that can’t lose weight despite only eating a tiny amount of calories are kidding themselves about their actual food intake. He says that this formula holds true for everyone - Stored Body Fat = Food Intake – Energy Expenditure.

Metabolisms: It takes 50 calories per kg of LBM to maintain the weight of both obese and normal people (people who have never been obese). It’s important to note that the metabolisms of the obese are identical to normal people. The ‘I’m fat because of my metabolism’ argument was shot down in his lab because he discovered that obese and normal people burn calories at exactly the same rate. Obese people are simply taking in – or burning fewer - calories than normal people and storing the excess as body fat.

Back to the equation Stored Body Fat = Food Intake – Energy Expenditure - the energy expenditure (I’m going to abbreviate it as EE) part is made up of three parts: resting energy expenditure, non-resting EE, and thermic (the digestion of food). Resting EE accounts for about 50 – 60% of the calories we burn in a day, thermic accounts for about 5%, and non-resting EE makes up the remainder. If we take in more energy (calories) than we expend, it’s stored in our bodies as protein, glycogen, and fat.

Our Bodies ARE Different!: This is the part that’s relevant to all of us maintainers. Like we’ve long suspected, our metabolisms ARE slower after we lose weight. Scientific research shows that we have to eat less and/or move more to sustain our weight losses.

Here’s the deal - it takes 50 calories per kg of LBM to maintain the body weight of either a normal or an obese person. BUT … it takes only 42 calories per kg of LBM to maintain the weight of a reduced obese person (doctors and researchers call those of us who were obese and are now a normal weight the reduced obese).

We ARE different! Dr. Leibel said that we reduced obese may LOOK normal on the outside but our bodies are very different on the inside. He said that, in order to maintain our weight, we reduced obese need to eat 15 - 20% fewer calories per day than a comparable person – same height, weight and gender etc – who never was obese.

Why? The difference in calorie needs comes ALL from changes in NON-resting energy expenditure. The resting rate is unchanged. But our muscle efficiency increases by 15% after weight loss, so we become more efficient in using energy in exercise and everyday activities. And so we burn fewer calories per pound than either a normal weight or an obese person. It’s completely measurable in a lab – all you have to do is put the reduced obese person on a stationary bike and measure energy expenditure. We aren’t going to burn as many calories as normal people do. In practical terms, it means that when you’re at the gym on a treadmill, the person next to you is going to be burning 15-20% more calories than you do even is she is exactly the same height, weight and age (so long as she never was fat). Wonderful, eh?

Leptin Levels: The scientific reason for this change in metabolic rates between normal and obese and reduced obese persons has to do with leptin levels (a hormone). If you google Leibel and leptin, you’ll find a lot of scientific articles about his research that explains it all much better than I can. Currently Dr, Leibel is experimenting with giving reduced obese small doses of leptin to restore its level to that of normal and obese people and it seems to reverse this metabolic slowdown. Unfortunately, it’s not anywhere close to being released as a treatment for weight maintenance (he emphasized that it wouldn’t help for weight loss; it only works for maintainers).

My Thoughts On What This Mean For Us Maintainers: Wow! This is the scientific validation of what I think many of us have long suspected and it’s a reason why it’s so hard to maintain a weight loss. Our own personal experiences and National Weight Control Registry statistics show that we have to eat fewer calories and/or exercise more than normal people in order to maintain our weight losses. Now we know that it’s a FACT and we know why – our non-resting EE slows down by 15 – 20%. Our metabolisms weren’t slower when we were obese but they are genuinely and measurably slower now that we’ve lost the weight. We’re fighting against our own bodies wanting to get fat again.

I went up to Dr. Leibel after the lecture (and waited while he talked to all the MDs and PhDs) and introduced myself by saying that I had a little bit of a different perspective on the issue. I told him that I was a member of the NWCR myself (he had discussed it), told him about our Maintainers group at 3FC, and said that we’re LIVING his research. One of the questions that I asked was - would this slowed down metabolism ever change? Would our bodies adapt to our new weights and our metabolisms ever return to normal? (I was thinking about our Karen here, who’s maintained her weight loss for 15 years) He said no, that the lowered leptin levels were permanent. It’s our bodies' way of trying to make us eat more and get fat again.

But he emphasized that it IS possible to maintain a large weight loss – it’s just a little harder for us to maintain our new normal weights than for people who never have been fat (again, not news to any of us). All these hormones and body weight regulations can be defeated by monitoring our calories in versus calories out because – remember - it’s all numbers. OK, our energy expenditure side of the equation is a little slower than normal people’s. But we still can maintain our weight losses by eating a little less or moving a little more – eating about 15 – 20% less or exercising about 15 - 20% more than normal people.

I sat there with my mouth hanging open for an hour and a half while I listened to all of this. I always suspected that it was all true, but here was the proof. On the one hand, it’s kind of depressing but on the other, I realize that nothing’s changed. Honestly, we’ve all puzzled this out for ourselves already, right?

In mulling all this information over, I’ve got several thoughts:

Maintenance IS harder than losing! Not just psychologically, but for real, measurable physical reasons. Our metabolisms are slowed down by weight loss.

This explains why so many losers regain weight. Our bodies are genetically and biologically programmed to return to our previous obese weights and will lower our metabolisms and release hormones to get us to eat more and burn fewer calories in order to regain fat. It’s a scientific fact – this is what we’re up against.

Once we reach goal weight, not only can’t we go back to our old ways of eating, we can’t even start to eat like normal (never fat) people without gaining weight. Those of us who are the reduced obese are and always will be different and we need to recognize and adapt to that fact.

Therefore, the diet’s not ever going to be over – we’re going to have to eat thoughtfully for the rest of our lives in order to defeat our bodies’ biochemical mechanisms to regain fat.

Exercise is key – in terms of the body fat equation Stored Body Fat = Food Intake – Energy Expenditure we only can safely reduce our food intake by so much (like 1200 calories/day) and then we're forced to burn off the rest through exercise, even though we aren’t going to be using as many calories as normal people do when we exercise.

The worst possible way to maintain a weight loss would be to try to eat intuitively because our bodies will be cueing us to eat more with lowered leptin levels – we need to eat non-intuitively to outwit our bodies' desire to return to obesity.

This explains why metabolic calculators don’t seem to work for many of us who are reduced obese. I always need to eat less/exercise more than any BMR calculator would indicate and now I know why – my BMR is different than that of normal and obese people. I did the BodyGem test, which measures resting EE (which you may recall is unchanged by weight loss) and extrapolates a BMR from that number. Now I know why it was so totally off-base for me – my non-resting EE (which it doesn’t measure) is 15-20% below normal. So of course all its conclusions were wrong for me.

Bottom line – track your calories and exercise and find out exactly what works for YOU to maintain your weight loss. Don’t compare yourself to what normal people eat and how they exercise – we’re not normal people. But we’re not crazy and we don’t have eating disorders – it's a FACT that we have to eat less and exercise more than normal people in order to maintain. The most important thing to take away from this is that it IS possible to maintain large weight losses with some thought and work and planning.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #160  

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarusty View Post
Hi Freda, good to see you again.

Lynn, missed being here and glad to see so many that I know still here. My kidney Dr. told me to do the 60 grams of protein because I am getting close to dialysis and maybe the diet can help keep me off it for longer.

Ask your Dr. what he would recommend. The dietitan I am working with said as adults we do not need the high amounts of protein that we normally eat and I must admit I do feel better. Cutting down on protein helps with lowering the carbs, fat, etc.

Phyllis
Hi Phyllis,

Funny - for me, I would have to increase my protein to get to 60 g. When I read your post on this, I thought you were trying to increase your grams of protein.

Lynn
Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #161  
Bobbi

Lynn...How depressing but true. Thanks for the article, it just puts in writing what I've discovered since I've lost my weight. After reaching my goal in November, I didn't diet in December and gained 6.5 pound. January I took it all back off by dieting and February I haven't watched my food intake. Now my jeans are getting tight again, last time I was on the scale I was up 4 pounds. I'm sure it's more by now............geeeeezzzze Louise! I'm going to think about this article and try to find some motivation to continually be watchful. Drats!

Quote:
Once we reach goal weight, not only can’t we go back to our old ways of eating, we can’t even start to eat like normal (never fat) people without gaining weight. Those of us who are the reduced obese are and always will be different and we need to recognize and adapt to that fact.

Therefore, the diet’s not ever going to be over – we’re going to have to eat thoughtfully for the rest of our lives in order to defeat our bodies’ biochemical mechanisms to regain fat.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #162  

Hi Everyone,

Sad but true Lynn. I think most of us have lost the weight, just to regain quickly. It helps to know that we will always have to watch our calories. And you just need to exercise for health anyway.

Most Americans eat way too much protein. Your body really does not require that much. And most people aren't aware that they get protein any way except meat and dairy. We have to educate ourselves. Like Phyllis said, protein is very hard on the kidneys.

Darn, during cave man times, I would be a real asset!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #163  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Fascinating. Just read this over on dietpower, very interesting.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #164  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Still windy and still a few snowflurries but overall it is a lot better than yesterday.

Just finished making arrangements for a friend from Ontario to come for a little visit in mid-April -- something to look forward to -- hope it stops snowing by then.

As I think I mentioned before . . . go have a look in our 3FC MAINTAINERS FORUM . . . there's a very good write up that Meg did on the problems of the reduced obese.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:53 AM   #165  

Default Happy Birthday Meowee

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LINDA

Lynn
Closed Thread