3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~February Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/163201-%7E%7Efebruary-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

floridarusty 02-20-2009 07:29 PM

I have found out that if you count your protein each day you can lose weight, plus it cuts down on carbs also. I lost a lb. last week by just keeping track of my protein and keeping it close to 60 grams but that is low because of my kidney problem. I don't know the amount for someone without any health issues but I'm sure you could find out if you are stalled with weight loss. I was surprised all the foods that have protein in them. I am doing 1200-1500 calories. Of course there are days I go higher especially if we eat out and I have a glass of wine but I try to keep those to 1 day/wk. or less. Losing a pound or 1/2 pd./wk and that is fine for me....I should be able to keep it off.

Cold here in Ohio, maybe some snow tomorrow and Sunday but not much. It was only in the 20's today. We are missing Florida right now. Your right Bobbi I should probably change my name now! lol

Phyllis

CatHouseLady 02-20-2009 08:12 PM

Back again ...

Hi,
I'm finally back again after a fairly long absence. I can't remember the date of my last post, but things have gotten rather frantic since then, starting with the loss of my job a week before Christmas. I am now doing volunteer work here and there while job-hunting and also very seriously contemplating returning to school. I told my siblings I'm thinking of going for my PhD -- since I currently have a B.A., that would definitely keep me busy until the economy rebounds and the jobs hopefully return! The downside, of course, would be the crushing debt load I'd be under by then from student loans!

Almost certainly, though, I will be doing some retraining. There's little or nothing out there in the industry I've just left, and even two decades in that industry really doesn't leave you suited for much else. So one way or another I will likely be a student again very soon.

Meanwhile I have noticed to my horror that the scale has crept a couple of pounds past 200, so I have started back at the gym, and now that the ice is gone from the sidewalks (for the moment, anyway; it could return at any time) I am trying to do some outdoor walking as well.

Hope everyone is doing well. :)

Karen3 02-21-2009 10:09 AM

Good morning all.....What a day I had yesterday! It was a bridge game with preplanned hands that were played in clubs all over Fl at the same time. Had 25 tables so divided room into 2 sections and passed out the sheets for everyone to duplicate the cards. As the game started found out that one table didn't have oppts......So had to do some creative bookwork and an invisible couple named Miller came in deadlast. Funny thing is that with 100 players only one person noticed anything.

I struggled with this game and ran my tush to the ground. Surprised myself that walked out the door only 4 minutes later than normal. Got home and went to post and no directions. The game manager had help me clean up and stuck the directions in her briefcase instead of mine. Had copy of old directions that worked well enough, just a last straw!

Needless to say I didn't eat OP. Didn't eat....and left water bottle out in car. Didn't drink. Gotta get me reorganized and do better next time. I spent my career being the one who could go in and clean up any mess, but got rattled yesterday when I created the problem. Friends tell me I didn't appear rattled....but boy I was!

Cooked a quick dinner and jumped in jammies. But was too tired to sleep. Best part of the day was so tired couldn't even go get a snack. Slept like a brick and sense of humor is returning. Scheduled to do 2 games in March. Now I know I am crazy!

It is chilly even down here.Woke up to 33 this am. We are on fire watch because it is so dry.(thought that would help Phyllis)

Welcome back Cathouselady.....need an easier name..please????

Decided need to go back to level#1 South Beach for at least a week. So taking today off and tomorrow is grocery day and will stock up with OP foods. Especially my vegies for the soup that keep me going.

Stay warm everyone...hugs, Karen3

floridarusty 02-21-2009 11:16 AM

Karen3, I hope you get some rain, I know when it is that dry down there fires start so easily....stay safe. It was a dry summer here too but not like down there, I still miss Florida! Phyllis

ladyinweighting 02-21-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floridarusty (Post 2622133)
I have found out that if you count your protein each day you can lose weight, plus it cuts down on carbs also. I lost a lb. last week by just keeping track of my protein and keeping it close to 60 grams but that is low because of my kidney problem. I don't know the amount for someone without any health issues but I'm sure you could find out if you are stalled with weight loss. I was surprised all the foods that have protein in them. I am doing 1200-1500 calories. Of course there are days I go higher especially if we eat out and I have a glass of wine but I try to keep those to 1 day/wk. or less. Losing a pound or 1/2 pd./wk and that is fine for me....I should be able to keep it off.

Cold here in Ohio, maybe some snow tomorrow and Sunday but not much. It was only in the 20's today. We are missing Florida right now. Your right Bobbi I should probably change my name now! lol

Phyllis

PHYLLIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a GREAT surprise to see you here. How are you doing? How do you like OH? Welcome home!!!!!!

Lynn

ladyinweighting 02-21-2009 11:43 AM

Hi Everyone,

Quiet day today. Maybe see my DD & SIL later, and/or my Little Sister & the baby. Just hanging out doing genealogy.

Check back later,

Lynn

retiredone 02-21-2009 01:52 PM

Rather a quiet day around here too. DH, his mother and sister all took off to see FIL early this morning. They'll be gone until Tuesday night so it's just mom and me most of the time. They arrived at the hospital around lunch time and will phone this evening with news about FIL. DS is still house/dog sitting and comes home for only a few minutes a day.

I got mom up this morning and gave her a shower, shampooed and set her hair and dressed her up in one of her "dresses". Good thing we were all dressed and decent as a friend of ours dropped in for a few minutes just before lunch. He's known our family since before I was born and he drops in to see mom every now and then.

I weighed in this morning and lost half a pound. Oh well it's a cup of fat.

Catch you all later.

CatHouseLady 02-21-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3 (Post 2622619)
*snip*

Welcome back Cathouselady.....need an easier name..please????

*snip*

Sorry, forgot about the name problem! I'm Lynn.

Have to get an old, old stereo unit untangled (lots of cords back there!), dusted and packed; had two people ask for it via the local Freecycle group and notified one he could have it. Haven't heard back yet, though; hope he carries through. That's one of the frustrating things about Freecycling.

Also want to walk to the drugstore and pick up some items and then get to the gym tonight (they close early on weekends), even if it's only for a 45-minute run on the recumbent bicycles again.

Have a good Saturday, all!

meowee 02-21-2009 04:10 PM

Hi there . . . :wave:

Nice and sunny today and fairly mild at just below freezing level. Only annoyance was the wind. Shall see if tomorrow lives up to it's promise to be similar. More snow is in the forecast for Monday.

Nothing very exciting in my life for the weekend and that's just fine with me. I've promised to finish knitting some slippers for a friend. Doing them both at the same time to make sure I actually get them done instead of my usual half a pair. :lol:

See you later . . . :grouphug:

Bobbolink 02-22-2009 08:38 AM

Good Morning....Off to church! :angel: :angel:

Quote:

Corn Syrup: Not so Sweet

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), a common ingredient in soda, fruit drinks, cookies, jams, and snack foods, is made by refining cornstarch through an enzymatic process. HFCS became popular as a sweetener in the 1980's when improvements in its manufacturing made it cheaper than cane or beet sugar. While there are potential health consequences to the over-consumption of any type of sweetener, HFCS carries additional risks because of its high fructose content and the way it is metabolized in the body. Here are some:
  • While the consumption of table sugar triggers the secretion of insulin and leptin, which signal your body that you are full, HFCS does not. Consumption of foods containing HFCS could contribute to increased caloric intake and weight gain.
  • Consumption of HFCS can elevate triglyceride levels, which can increase the risk of heart disease.
  • HFCS can upset the magnesium, copper, chromium, and zinc levels in the body, which could lead to deficiency diseases like bone loss.
In 2001, the average person consumed 62.6 pounds of high-fructose corn syrup. In the U.S., the average person consumes more HFCS than sugar.

Lizabeth2 02-22-2009 02:20 PM

I have so enjoyed reading all of your posts! Don't know if i have posted here before, but am back doing my diet thing again, hopefully successful. Third week into it. The info on HFCS was interesting. I am trying to avoid all sugar except fruits for the present. Any seniors in this group? (over 60?) I plan on losing tweo points this week. Being positive of course. Hope to find my way back here tomorrow.

meowee 02-22-2009 04:40 PM

Hi Lizabeth . . . I'm well over 60. The big 66 hits this coming Wednesday. :lol3:

Hi to everybody else. :wave: We've been having a really lovely weather day but once again it's just been the proverbial lull between the weather warnings -- raink, freezing rain, then snow starting overnight and continuing
tomorrow.

Supposed to see the sun again Wednesday. Wowee, I so hope Spring gets here soon.

ladyinweighting 02-22-2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizabeth2 (Post 2623798)
I have so enjoyed reading all of your posts! Don't know if i have posted here before, but am back doing my diet thing again, hopefully successful. Third week into it. The info on HFCS was interesting. I am trying to avoid all sugar except fruits for the present. Any seniors in this group? (over 60?) I plan on losing tweo points this week. Being positive of course. Hope to find my way back here tomorrow.

Hi Liz,

WELCOME!!! I'll be 64 in April.

Lynn

CatHouseLady 02-23-2009 12:28 AM

Thanks for posting the article on HFCS, Bobbi; it was very enlightening.

the slim me 02-23-2009 07:45 AM

hi

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in some time. My old computer finally died and had to be replaced. Just got it up and running again last night. I've read most of the posts, but way too may to address ind. I'm so happy we're such an active site.

Phyllis, good to see you here again! It must be very different, spending the winter in Ohio rather than Florida!

Hi Liz, WELCOME! I'm over 60 also. Turned 61 in Dec.

Freda