Old 01-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #1  
WSN

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'9" (male)

Default Looking for exercise/activity ideas for my dad

Hi, my dad is in his 60s and retired. He has been overweight his entire life, it runs in our family, and he has really never been active at all. He is probably around 300 pounds, pretty short, and virtually no muscle (you know what i mean). I know he can't do much in the way of exercise, as far as the typical exercises go I think the most he can do is just walk and do that fairly slowly. I am looking for exercise or activity suggestions for him. He doesn't really have any hobbies, no interest in any sports, and he doesn't have access to a swimming pool or even any outdoor space like a backyard. The only thing I can think of is to try to get him to go for a walk in the morning and evening. However I am pretty sure he will not do it (we've tried before) and he is extremely arrogant and doesn't accept any advice from anyone. I am looking for advice on some activity I can suggest to him and help him get started with that he might enjoy, or even advice on how to get him to go walking and taking other people's advice - he is one of those people who thinks he knows more than anyone, even about health and weight loss issues even though he has been fat and inactive his entire life.
WSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Unfortunately, you can't make him do it. Walking is an excellent exercise, effective, doesn't cost anything and is always there. It is pretty well the ultimate for someone just starting.

ETA: If you are also overweight, maybe you could tell him you want him to go with you to keep you accountable. Maybe during the walks you guys could really enjoy talking--be sure to tell him what the walks mean to you--how supportive he is being, how you are learning things about him you never knew, etc.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-08-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote