Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #91  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello Golden Girls. I had an awful headache yesterday afternoon but I did my circuit workout despite the pain. I took an ibuprofen and by the time I was done the headache was almost gone. But then last night I could not sleep. I finally got up at 3 am and put a movie on the dvd player, read a cookbook and worked out plans for the small reception cake and DS's wedding cake I'm doing and finally fell asleep just before 6 am sitting in the lazy boy chair wrapped in an afghan. My mind was whirling all night thinking about things that have to be done before DS's wedding. After I woke up around 9 am things seemed to be worked out about the cakes at least.

I don't get any shows on tv, ha, ha. I have only 2 channels and only one that I can actually see clearly. I do get Martha Stewart but not the Ace of Cakes. I've seen them at DS's house and I've run across them online. They do awesome work. I'm just an amateur birthday cake decorator for my own children and a few friends. I once did a cake in the shape of our church when we opened our new one (That's over 30 years ago so I guess the church is not new anymore.) And when the kids were little all their cakes were decorated by me. One I really loved doing was one of the big bad wolf by the straw house and the three little pigs. I did that for each of the boys. And I did the doll cakes that were so popular in the late 70s and early 80s. I'm self taught but I did work in a bakery for a short time in college and learned a few piping techniques at that time. I've done a few wedding cakes but that was years ago and since the kids are adult I only do cakes a couple of times a year and that's basically a border and "Happy Birthday" on the top. I haven't tackled rolled fondant yet and don't know if I ever will. I'm doing butter cream on the wedding/reception cakes.

My next project after the little cake is done is to make the ties and pocket squares for DS and his attendants for his wedding. So, yes, Bobbi I'm a Jack (or Jill) or all trades and master of none.

I'm so tired today don't know if I'll get in my jog. I desperately need a nap so that's what I'm going to do.

Welcome home Lynn. Tell all about your holiday when you get settled.

Karen3, I'd love to have some of those strawberries. I'm making a strawberry curd to fill the middle the little reception cake. This is not going to be a diet cake, ha, ha.

Freda, licking the screen, hey. That just may be my next diet strategy.

to everyone else. Must go sleep. zzzzzzzzz
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #92  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Howdee Doodee, folks . . .

Today we were blessed with mostly sunny (but icy cold) and I've spent most of the day out and about.

Tonight, I'm just hunkered down waiting for the snow to begin. Tomorrow we are supposed to get a bunch of rain to turn it to slush. Then . . . oh joy . . . everything is going to freeze up solid over Wednesday night. Thursday should be quite a joy. Hope we get lucky and it just snows.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Everyone,

Down 3 pounds today. I KNOW I couldn't have lost 3 pounds in one day! I'm guessing that yesterday morning, I was still retaining a lot of fluid from the 9-hour plane trip on Monday.

I'm going to try to get some of my photos up today. If I get stuff to work - always a hit or miss situation - I'll stick some in a message.

I'm still trying to catch up with things. My e-mail does not seem to be working - no messages since before Christmas. I'll need to get that fixed today.

Check back later,

Lynn
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 165/162/

Height: 5'4"

Hi,
Quick shout out to new 50+ friends! I've been in the Beck Diet Solution group, I'm doing WW momentum--but not strictly. I'd like to join a slightly (ahem) older support group here since our issues overlap the younger members, but are also a little different. (I have newly diagnosed osteopenia, have had a lot of hot flashes this year, arthritis, slower metabolism, etc. etc. But I also have wisdom and hopefully can laugh at myself. Or cry--I'm not dressed and i have to be at work in an hour.
Lily
lilyyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #95  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Relatively mild right now and we've had a little rain and we've had a little snow and things are getting very ugly out there as the temperature is now starting to drop and it's getting to be a slushy, sticky mess.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #96  

Hi Lily,

Welcome!

Lynn
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #97  

Default Some Photos from France

Hopefully, I have attached a few France photos. First one is Mont St. Michel; second one is a 19th century reproduction of a chateau in a hill-town in Langueduc; third one is Carcassone.

Lynn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0830.jpg (32.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0844.jpg (49.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0851.jpg (32.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 01-14-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 215/192/150

Height: 5' 7"

Morning Ladies,
I went shopping with my DD yesterday....hate those mirrors in the dressing rooms! It was motivating though......we went out to dinner and I stayed OP....I really was missing the wine with dinner, but stayed true to the rule "no alcohol until you are no longer "obese". AND not even a bite or taste of their dessert!
I did manage to find a pair of wide leg pants that looked ok and felt great, unfortunately they are sz 18....oh well they were only 20 bucks so I bought em.
I did feel better about myself as I got dressed up with the new pants and a pretty sliver black pashima(sp?)....so it all worked out. I think sticking with an eating plan makes the whole "mental" thing better for me. At least I can say I'm working on it and if I stick with it for the long haul good things will happen,
Anyway it was attack of the appliances here....the dishwasher gave out, can't be repaired so I had to buy a new one. At least the washer and garage door could be fixed easily.
Have a great day ladies!
way2fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #99  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning!
Lily, that's the neat thing about this thread, our issue are similar in many ways and our bodies don't move like they used to.
Quote:
issues overlap the younger members, but are also a little different. (I have newly diagnosed osteopenia, have had a lot of hot flashes this year, arthritis, slower metabolism, etc. etc.
Great photo's lynn, my first thought was, "Did you get to roam around in those old castles?" Does your voice echo in them? Tell us some of the unusual foods you ate?

Yesterday I made Elk Stir-Fry and added some chopped cabbage to it. Once all the fresh vegetables are mixed in and stir fried with ginger, garlic and soy sauce, it's really yummy!

Hi everyone, I have to finish up the tax information today so won't linger on 3FC.. This morning I burnt my butt in bed, I had a thermos of coffee leaning on a pillow and it tipped over and I accidentally hit the buttom that releases the coffee. Ouch! I had to strip the bed and wash everything. My quilt is so heavy and thick (King size) that I could only get that in the washer, nothing else. Hope the coffee stain washes out, it's a white back ground with pinecones and fir greens on it. See ya all.
[QUOTE][

Cabbage is a low-cost, delicious way to boost your health. Part of the cruciferous family (which includes Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower), cabbage has many health benefits - it is:
  1. Rich in antioxidants and phytonutrients, which are linked to heart health
  2. A good source of fiber, which promotes gastrointestinal health
  3. Abundant in vitamin C, which supports a healthy immune system
  4. Renowned for its cancer-fighting properties, largely because it is rich in a class of nutrients called indoles. Indoles may reduce the risk of prostate, breast and other cancers
When choosing between red or white cabbage, go for the red - it contains more protective phytonutrients than white cabbage. Whichever color you choose, you can easily add cabbage to salads and soups, use leaves of cabbage on sandwiches or - especially tasty - shred cabbage onto traditional Mexican foods like tostadas and tacos. And when you cook cabbage, do so briefly, for no more than five minutes. Overcooking this delicate vegetable into mush is a major cause of cabbage-phobia./QUOTE]
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #100  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi and welcome Lilyyoung. You'll fit right in here.

Lynn, I envy your vacations. Wish I could take off sometimes.

Fluffy, I have a new pair of wide leg pants that I have to shorten. Thanks for mentioning yours. Must get mine hemmed as we're going out to dinner next Wednesday and I want to wear those pants. Good job on the restaurant dinner. You did wonderful with it.

Bobbi, hope the coffee stain comes out. We love cabbage and have it quite often-raw or cooked. Had coleslaw today and the weekend had it cooked several times.

Meowee, we finally got snow. Hope it doesn't turn to slush. I do think that Nova Scotia is due for some non-snow days.

Must get supper for the troops and then do my exercises. Take care and catch you all later.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Welcome Lilyyoung!

Welcome back Lynn and what beautiful pictures!!
Sounds like you are already getting back on track with your weight. I am guessing that you did a lot of walking while you were in France, so once your body adjusts you probably will find you didn't gain much.

Good for you on sticking to your plan Eileen. Your outfit sounds lovely.

Hello to everyone else.

Woodlily
WoodLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all....quiet day and be even quieter this evening. Dh is still sitting in a tree stand about 2 hours North of home. So it'll be just Dash and me. I do enjoy some me time. Since retiring don't get it very often. Had to turn the gas fire on this morning as your winter air reached here. After growing up in the Pocono mountains being able to heat the whole house up in 20 minutes by lighting the gas logs is still amazing to me. My heat test is that the toilet seat is warm.

I am so bored with cooking same old meals. Need to dig into the cook books and find new recipes. I am still making what DH calls vegie soup. Actually big pot of vegies with a little chicken stock. Heat a bowl and there are my servings for the day. Couple of night had a bowl a little late because I was going to a craving mode. Filled me up so much started cycle where I didn't want bkft. gesh, you think I'd learn.

Welcome Lily

wow Lynn the pictures are lovely

Bobbi we eat a lotta of cabbage. Toss it in my vegie soup all the time. Did the stain come out?

My latest Reta Mae Brown book is calling....later Karen3
Karen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 PM   #103  

Great photo's lynn, my first thought was, "Did you get to roam around in those old castles?" Does your voice echo in them? Tell us some of the unusual foods you ate?

Hi Bobbi, Yes - we stayed at B&B's in medieval cities (part of the castle environs) and got to roam around 3 of the castles. Not really any echoes - too much open space. One of the moats around one of the castles (Carcassone) is 2 miles long.

One of the BIG food items in the southern area is foie gras - goose liver. I tasted my SIL's order. Lots of fish with heads - including the shrimp. Of course, escargot. Paella with rabbit (at first we thought it might be mouse). But mostly, croissants, chocolates, wines, ham/cheese/egg, and breads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Lynn, I envy your vacations. Wish I could take off sometimes.
Actually, I'm thinking that this will most likely be my last trip with my DD & SIL. I'm getting too old. I LOVE the sights, but the physical exertion is getting too much for me. Too many stairs, too hard to drag the luggage up and down, too many hours in the car/train/metro. I might look into some ElderHostel trips. They may be more suited to old ladies like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLily View Post
Welcome back Lynn and what beautiful pictures!!
Sounds like you are already getting back on track with your weight. I am guessing that you did a lot of walking while you were in France, so once your body adjusts you probably will find you didn't gain much.
Woodlily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
wow Lynn the pictures are lovely Karen3
Hi Lilly & Karen, I'll post some more tomorrow.

Lynn
Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 165/162/

Height: 5'4"

hi all. Thanks for the warm welcome. I love that people are from all over. It's cold and yucky here in New York. Lynn, those pictures were beautiful. I'd love to go to France. I live with my boyfriend, and we did drive to Quebec in 8/07 and spend a few days. It's a little like France I think--at least, they speak French. I loved it. But he was diagnosed with cancer in early 2008, and even though he went through chemo and is doing rather well, I don't think we'll be taking any big trips. (Not to mention I am afraid of flying.) But someday I'll make it to Europe, I hope. What kind of diets are you all on? After reading about osteopenia all day at work (it's a little quiet there and the boss is on vacation) I had an extra glass of milk at dinner. I drank it through a new Weight Watchers flavor straw. DISGUSTING. Oh well.
Night all,
Lily
lilyyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #105  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyyoung View Post
hi all. Thanks for the warm welcome. I love that people are from all over. It's cold and yucky here in New York. Lynn, those pictures were beautiful. I'd love to go to France. I live with my boyfriend, and we did drive to Quebec in 8/07 and spend a few days. It's a little like France I think--at least, they speak French. I loved it. But he was diagnosed with cancer in early 2008, and even though he went through chemo and is doing rather well, I don't think we'll be taking any big trips. (Not to mention I am afraid of flying.) But someday I'll make it to Europe, I hope. What kind of diets are you all on? After reading about osteopenia all day at work (it's a little quiet there and the boss is on vacation) I had an extra glass of milk at dinner. I drank it through a new Weight Watchers flavor straw. DISGUSTING. Oh well.
Night all,
Lily
Hi Lily,

My DD is amazing about traveling. We get our flights (business class - just about the same as 1st class) by using our Am Ex points. I pay for just about everything during the year with my Am Ex card so that I can accumulate the points - NOTE: if you buy stuff online with your Am Ex card, you get triple points.

Then, my DD spends months with her most-recent Rick Steeves travel book and the internet and gets us reasonable lodging reservations - almost always less than 90 Euros/night. While we're traveling, we use a rental car outside of the city & the Metro in the city. I really don't buy much on vacations other than food, travel, and lodging. This past trip to France - everything - cost me about $1,000/week. Of course, I just have 1 person to pay for. Would cost more for 2, but NOT double - the rooms are the same price for 1 or 2 people and the airfare is free if you use points. NOTE: of course, when I'm traveling, I'm not spending money for food/gas at home, so would have to deduct that amount from the travel expenses.

The major difference between other continents and North America is the history. Just about everything we did was in sites that are 500-1,000 years old. Things built in the 1700's are considered new!

If you think you might like to travel, I recommend you buy a Rick Steeves book about the country/city and read it from cover to cover. He not only gives you good advice for when you're there - he gives good advice about how to get there.

Lynn

PS - about my diet. I found out that I have type 2 diabetes about 2 years ago. I try to eat low calorie (1,000 - 1,200) and low carb (30%-35%). When I do eat carbs, I eat low-glycemic (no white rice/pasta/potatoes/bread and no sugar). I try to eat a lot of vegetables, few starches, and no more than 2 fruits/day. I eat mostly fish, chicken, pork. Once in a while I'll have lamb - rarely do I eat beef.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 01-15-2009 at 08:30 AM.