Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

OK last night I registered and posted an introduction. So today I want to post something so I can get involved in this! So far today these are the things I have done to work toward a healthy, fit me: had a yummy yogurt, blueberry, and wheat cracker breakfast; did my stretches (ankle sprain in
August, PT all fall); did 32 minutes of cross country skiing and snow shoveling, made a healthy shopping list, had an orange and water after exercise (instead of Christmas cookies and eggnog!), got on the scale to see where exactly I was right now, took my vitamins & other supplements, & read lots of interesting posts that will keep me encouraged and motivated! I'm glad I'm starting this while I'm still on break, instead of once school starts and everything is crazy.
Nature Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 180/173.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlover View Post
Hey everyone,
This is my first post and the beginning of a successful mission I hope. I'm undecided about which diet to start with. I have a lot of fat around my middle. My clothes which before I moved were 12's are now 14's if I'm lucky and the weight is just weird too much body fat for sure. I hurt my knee in Nov. and was laid up for about 3-4 wks and that helped me reach my 180. Before that I was 171 and eating healthy not now though! I feel like a stuffed sausage actually none of my clothes fit and I really don't like the mirror! My choices for diets are either Crack the Fat Loss Code or Sonoma Diet. Actually they are kinda similar. You get to eat good and all food. I really need to jump start my body loss since I've eaten out of boredom and been so bad to my body. I go back to the Dr's for my knee on Jan. 7th and believe it or not its still a little swollen and I still where a short brace when I go to work. I'm on my feet. Thats just the beginning of my story but I need to here yours, I need encouragement. My husband works in retail and of course is thin. He eats alot more than me too and not the good stuff so I need to get off his diet and onto my own. It doesn't look good on me! I'm starting to eat healthier but I"m planning to start on Friday January 2nd, 2009 and make this a great healthy weight losing year for me and you with your help of course....Any suggestions.... Just talking to someone in the same boat will help alot.
thanks and nice to meet you all
Hi Oceanlover. I just joined today too, and your story sounds a LOT like mine. We're the same height and weight and want to lose close to the same amount. I'm 54; I think we're the same age, too? How about that!

It's sure not easy. I've been doing the yo-yo thing for a lot of years, mostly the weight crept up on me, a pound here and there, until one day I reached for a pair of jeans and they ran, screaming, into the night, never to be seen again. It was a revelation, I can tell you.

What works best for me: tiny meals, every three or so hours. It's hard to get into but once your system is used to it, you'll feel a lot better. I also have a hubby who can eat anything and not gain an ounce. After 34 years, he's still within ten pounds of his pre-marriage weight, has a slender waist and looks damned good in his 501s. There oughta be a law, sigh. I have given up making meals we both can eat, and simply make him his butter/salt/beef/potato-laden meals, then fix myself a handful of salad and some grilled chicken. ::whine::

This looks like a good support place, and I know that's key in striving for success.

Good to be here and to see you here -

farmgirl
nyfarmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 225/169/145

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone ! I tried WW a few years back and lost 65 lbs. I would like to go back and do it again just for the support if for nothing else but I don't have time. There are only two meetings a week here. So I've been coming here looking for support.
Mama Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #19  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I agree with NYfarmgirl on the three hour meals concept. It keeps my blood sugars more stable, and is the only manner of dieting (and I've tried LOTS!!!) I've ever found that doesn't give me headaches. Three meals and two light snacks works better than anything I've ever tried.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #20  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

Good to have your here Oceanlover, Sue, and Mama Blake. The people here are so encouraging. They are a real help. Come often.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #21  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5' 2"

Hi I am kind of new to these boards and new to the over 50s. Personally I can't do the specific diet plans. I look at the Fat Smash and The South Beach but found they just aren't for me.
I find I do better just cutting back. Eating low fat whenever possible and cutting way back on the junk food. Exercise also helps. I try to count calories in my head. This isn't scientific but it works for me.
DiBaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 231/220/180

Height: 5' 11"

I too am new to this site. I've just started a calorie shifting diet. I alternate the number of calories per day and also the number of calories per time of day. Hopefully I'll see some results. So far I haven't been hungry and that's a plus.
Eia Wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 258/233/182

Height: 5'8"

Hello!

I'm new to this too, but not new to dieting as I seem to have been on a diet for the past 34 years, the latest being LA Weight Loss, which when I just looked at my old logs, lost 30lbs but put it all back on and 10 more.

This time I'm going the sensible route, smaller portions of the right foods, and walk everywhere. I do need a kick in the bum to stick with it!
FitFabFiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:22 AM   #24  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

Height: 5'7"

It's not about "which diet", many work for different reasons. Do you have any special health conditions you must consider? In my opinion, the first thing to do is find out exactly how many calories you need in one day to maintain your weight. You must eat less than that amount to lose weight. I purchased an inexpensive digital scale and keep it out on my kitchen counter - weight everything. Next, use one of the computer programs like Fit Day to track what you eat. The program has thousands of foods already loaded and you can add any special foods and there nutritional information. This process of keeping a food journal helps to keep you honest. Another nice feature are the graphs and charts to let you visualize your progress.
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #25  
Tammy

S/C/G: 211/209/145

Height: 5'4"

I just registered on fitday.com today, Samantha. I think I'll like it. I am only two days into calorie counting, eating about 5-6 meals/days. And, I have already set up a spreadsheet for my foods and water intake. I think I will just translate what I have into fitday and keep on moving!
ladyviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #26  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I love fitday! Once you get the hang of it, you can list all the foods you eat daily under the 'favorites' so it's easy to find and list. The custom food section is great for scratch recipes, list all the ingredients and how many servings and they figure out the calories per serving for you. The only downfall of this feature is weighting the whole batch of soup or whatever you make so you can determine what a serving size is.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote