Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #46  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Snowy morning all!
All the schools in the area are cancelled including my GS Christmas program due to the snow blizzard. O.K. with us, it's a white out here in the country.
Meowee... I was wondering what happened to you! This has nothing to do with bad backs but on Good Morning America this morning a lady wrote in about rubbing your feet with Vicks Vapor rub and putting a pair of socks on over it. Evidently the vicks seeps into your body thru your feet and makes you sleep like a baby? I just walked in while they were discussing it, don't know what it's suppose to cure. Did any of you see it? a common cold?
Lynn...I haven't checked the accountability thread yet, how's it going?
Rosey...Good advice, our DD checks/changes her batteries twice a year when she changes her clocks for day light savings.
Quote:
our smoke detector had a dead batterie so ladies check your smoke detecters. .it could have been so much worse than the expensive bill i was given..hope your day is going better (((hugs))) rosey

Yoyo...
Quote:
I have a sink full of the last pomegranates off my tree that need to be cleaned (or tossed - birds got to some of them so not sure if the seeds inside are still good).

Oh, lucky you! We have many kinds of fruit trees but our climate is too cold for pomegrantes. I see them in our grocery stores but don't buy because of the expense. What do you do with them? Make juice? I've had it in bottled juice form and it's delicious but not sure what I'd do with them if I did buy some fresh.
Karen... I have a really delicious recipe for 'Sweet Sour Cabbage' soup that I make in the winter time. (No meat in it so it's really low in calories) I made soooooooooo many batches of garlic/zucchini soup last summer that I'm still having those for lunch.
Today I have to finish putting up Christmas decorations, I didn't get far yesterday. I purchased a pre-lit tree two years ago and this year two strands refused to work. If any of you have removed those suckers, you know what a pain in the it is, took me hours and hours then had to drive into town twice to buy new lights.
Have a good one!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-09-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 148/146/124(edited goal)

Height: 4' 11"

Snowed here too yesterday so we now have about 8" on the ground. At least I get some exercise shoveling it off of our deck and walk. DH uses the snowblower on the driveway.
Don't know what the Vicks will do on your feet. My MIL always rubbed it on her kids' chests and put some under their noses before they went to bed. DH still can't stand the smell of it, so we have never had any in the house.

Lily
Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #48  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello. I can't wait for Saturday night to be over. It's the night of our concert and I'm just about burned out over it. We were supposed to practice last night but spent most of the time decorating the church. I never got home until just after 11 pm last night. I wish we had started practicing earlier this year. Last year we started the first week in October and it was so much less stressful. Now we are trying to cram 2 months practice into one month and it's wearing me out. Oh, well this too shall pass.

I've got a pile of Christmas cards surrounding me. I was supposed to get some of these done today but didn't so that's on my list for tomorrow. Gotta run and get some sleep as I'm just about asleep here at the computer. Catch you all tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to increase fiber & protein without going overboard on my carbs - a tricky task.

Today is an "at-home" day for me. Our gym has a program for members to buy gifts for a child from a local residential home. My daughter and I bought some gifts for one of the children - today I need to wrap everything & get them to the gym.

Fewer than 2 weeks until I leave for France. I need to make my vacation "to-do" list & get started on that.

Check back later,

Lynn
Old 12-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #50  
Bobbi

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing--that's why we recommend it daily.

- Zig Ziglar, motivational speakerZig Ziglar is my favorite speaker, has anyone ever
heard his tapes?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 AM   #51  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

My back is feeling about 80% functional this morning and the really strange weather continues. After sunshine and a high of -9 yesterday and lots of snow on the ground; today we are supposed to get +13 and bunches of rain and wind and the snow is almost gone already (that's 16F yesterday and 55F today).

Nothing big in my plans . . . still have a little wrapping to do (local stuff) and will continue my reading and back resting that's been the story of my life for most of the week. Still taking the Robaxicet, of course. The added muscle relaxant in it really does seem to help. However, I will soon be ready to try something else, I was thinking of Rub A535, but maybe Vicks would work.

Have a good day, folks . . .
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #52  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
I just posted my exercise on the Acc't thread, decide to get my exercise in 1st thing in the morning instead of evening. Sometimes I'm just too tired and then it becomes a chore. I wake up very stiff in the a.m. and exercising loosen me up fast, especially my bad back. I have spinal bifida along with bad feet. Gosh, it's tough getting old.
Lynn...I'm very proud of you, yesterday was just about perfect. Fiber was excellent, so was your calories. If you can keep those two about the same every day, I KNOW YOU WILL LOSE! The protein seems a tad high but looking over my records, mine was out of whack too! The nutritionist told me to stay at 54gram/20% protein and I averaged over a 2 weeks period 66.2 grams but I still lost. I hope you don't mind my critiquing you, you can tell me to butt out anytime. I never exercised as long or as hardy as you, maybe you need that much protein plus I don't know what your body requires for Diabetes.
Quote:
12/9 - wt 151.8; ex mins 0; cals 1232; protein 75 g; fiber 39 g
Isabella... We all know how busy you are with Church, baking, etc. Hang in there.
Lily...Don't ya love shoveling snow? You're doing a great job too on your calories, etc.
Anyone heard from Kris? I see by her post she's a newbie.
Meowee... How's your aches and pains?
Everyone else Hi:
Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #53  
Bobbi

Don't cheat girls!
Quote:
[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']The 5 Riddles....[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']

THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST FIVE RIDDLES I HAVE SEEN....THE ANSWERS ARE AT
THE BOTTOM. RI DDLE #5 IS AMAZING. IT SHARPENS THOSE GENES IN YOUR
BRAIN AND STALLS ALZHEIMER'S FOR YEARS!!

1. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three
rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of
assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't
eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

2. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over
5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out
together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

3. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when
you throw it away ?

4. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words
Wednesday, Friday, or Sunday?

5. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly
you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and
plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing
is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think
about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at
it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

THE ANSWERS TO ALL FIVE THE RIDDLES ARE BELOW
:

1. The third room. Lions that haven't eaten in three years are dead.
That one was easy, right?

2. The woman was a photographer. She shot a picture of her husband,
developed it, and hung it up to dry (shot; held under water; and hung).

3. Charcoal, as it is used in barbecuing.

4. Sure you can name three consecutive days, yesterday, today, and
tomorrow!

5. The lettere, which is the most common letter used in the English
language, does not appear even once in the paragraph.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Old 12-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #54  

Default Protein, Carbs, Fiber, Calories

[QUOTE=Bobbolink;2490350]Lynn...I'm very proud of you, yesterday was just about perfect. Fiber was excellent, so was your calories. If you can keep those two about the same every day, I KNOW YOU WILL LOSE! The protein seems a tad high but looking over my records, mine was out of whack too! The nutritionist told me to stay at 54gram/20% protein and I averaged over a 2 weeks period 66.2 grams but I still lost. I hope you don't mind my critiquing you, you can tell me to butt out anytime. I never exercised as long or as hardy as you, maybe you need that much protein plus I don't know what your body requires for Diabetes.

Hi Bobbi,

The major challenge for me is trying to keep my carbs around 30% of my calories. Veggies seem to be OK - any sugar or white starches are off-limits - fruit has to be in VERY small quantities. I try to keep fat at around 30% and protein at around 40%.

I appreciate your help - please feel free to critique. Yesterday and today I had flax roll up with hummus and bean/veggie soup for lunch. Tonight I'm making a recipe you have listed in our recipe thread - chicken/pineapple/veggies (I'm adding some beans to up the fiber).

Lynn
Old 12-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #55  
Bobbi

Thursday's Funnies:
Quote:
I've sure gotten old!
I've had two bypass surgeries, a hip replacement,
New knees, fought cancer and diabetes
I'm half blind,
Can't hear anything quieter than a jet engine,
Take 40 different medications that
Make me dizzy, winded, and subject to blackouts.
Have bouts with dementia
Have poor circulation;
Hardly feel my hands and feet anymore.
Can't remember if I'm 85 or 92.
Have lost all my friends. But, thank God,
I still have my driver's license.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #56  
Bobbi

Good Morning!
I did my first push-ups since high school............um, over 40 years ago. Of course I cheated, hung onto the top of my lowboy dresser. It was easy but tomorrow I'll be singing a different tune, I used muscles that I didn't know I had. Ouch!
Lynn... I added more chicken to it since DH is a huge meat lover and we ate on it for two meals plus DH had the balance for lunch on the third day.
Quote:
Yesterday and today I had flax roll up with hummus and bean/veggie soup for lunch. Tonight I'm making a recipe you have listed in our recipe thread - chicken/pineapple/veggies (I'm adding some beans to up the fiber).
I've tried the Flax roll up, yummy too but not as much fiber as the Flat Outs. (I love that they make such a large roll-up) Another good job on your calories/fiber on Acc't Thread.
Lily... I'm guessing you lost since you shoveled all that snow and had a low calories day.
Meowee...Still under the weather?
Isabella...Come up for a breather, it's just about over.
Quote:
Hello. I can't wait for Saturday night to be over. It's the night of our concert and I'm just about burned out over it. We were supposed to practice last night but spent most of the time decorating the church. I never got home until just after 11 pm last night.

YoYo, Karen & Rosey.........What's happening?
Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #57  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi gang . . .

The back seems to have reached a certain point and refuses to get any better . . . guess it will just take some time. Nothing is moving very fast or very far around here today anyway. It is solid ice out there and not even any snow on the ground to cushion it. Wowee, I'd rather have snow any day. Freezing rain has got to be the most dreadful of the winter dreadfuls.

At least I still have electricity (not the case in a lot of places in NS) although first thing this morning I thought my phone was dead but it turned out to be just a little 'cat'astrophe.

Have a good day . . . hopefully under better weather than we are having.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good morning....Today is another prep day and I should be started. But have to shop for everything. So gonna be a simple menu.

Poor Dh! The joy of being hard of hearing at times is wonderful. Apparently in the middle of the night the cold front came thru and started rattling the blind slats on the sliding door. DH got up to fix the slats and walked into the bathroom door. Cut his nose and bleed for awhile and I snored on. It is pouring rain and windy but still almost 80. So cold is debateable. This is our dry season and we are celebrating some rain.

Be back later with report on prep...Have to see what is available before I can plan menu. Thinking ham salad and egg salad sandwiches, spice cake and artichoke dip.....nothing home made or made from scratch.....Karen3
Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #59  

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Hi gang . . .

The back seems to have reached a certain point and refuses to get any better . . . guess it will just take some time. Nothing is moving very fast or very far around here today anyway. It is solid ice out there and not even any snow on the ground to cushion it. Wowee, I'd rather have snow any day. Freezing rain has got to be the most dreadful of the winter dreadfuls.

At least I still have electricity (not the case in a lot of places in NS) although first thing this morning I thought my phone was dead but it turned out to be just a little 'cat'astrophe.

Have a good day . . . hopefully under better weather than we are having.
Hi Linda,

Are you taking any anti-inflamatory meds? They help to contol my back pain.

Lynn
Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #60  

Height: 5' 8"

Hi everybody

Eesh, seems I'm busier now than I was when I was at work Sorry I haven't popped in to at least say hi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Oh, lucky you! We have many kinds of fruit trees but our climate is too cold for pomegranates. I see them in our grocery stores but don't buy because of the expense. What do you do with them? Make juice? I've had it in bottled juice form and it's delicious but not sure what I'd do with them if I did buy some fresh.
Have a good one!
Pomegranates definitely like it hot and dry Bobbi - in fact the fruit doesn't ripen right if they get too much water. I use them for lots of stuff - I do juice a lot of them because the juice freezes better than the whole seeds. You can put them in just about any recipe that calls for cranberries and I like to sprinkle some on salads if I'm using a dressing like raspberry vinaigrette. Sadly, more of this last batch were bad than good but I had tons of them already so I put them back out for the birds to finish off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Fewer than 2 weeks until I leave for France. I need to make my vacation "to-do" list & get started on that.Lynn
oooo Lynn, how exciting! You are such the world traveler. I've never even gotten a passport. Probably ought to though since you can't even go to Canada or Mexico without one any more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Hi gang . . .

The back seems to have reached a certain point and refuses to get any better . . . guess it will just take some time.
Golly Linda, so sorry to hear about your back. When mine goes out (usually for no apparent reason ) I usually do much better if I keep moving around. When I sit or lay down too long it locks up or something and just kills me when I try to straighten up. Advil helps some and I'm really reluctant to take anything stronger - Dr. is always trying to prescribe muscle relaxants but the muscles don't hurt. Sure seems like it takes forever to get better but then all of a sudden I'll wake up one morning and be completely fine

Almost a month as a non-smoker! AND scale said 144 this morning so looks like I'm heading back in the right direction again after that little (undocumented on my ticker) 3 lb gain from the first couple of weeks of quitting. Not going to change the ticker down just yet - as much as my scale bounces, I like to see the same number a couple of days in a row before I update anything.

Well, better get back to my to-do list - today I'm tackling the garage. There are boxes out there I haven't opened in at least 5 years. It'll sort of be like an early Christmas finding all that stuff. Of course, if I haven't looked at it in that long, I probably don't need it anymore and I'm hoping I can bring myself to get rid of a lot of things.

hope everyone has a wonderful day filled with holiday spirit!
Closed Thread