Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #91  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Lori! What an exciting time, eh?

I added a link to a picture of the lid opener in my last message above, in case my description was, um, less than adequate.

The scale had good news for me this morning, so I guess FitDay wasn't lying to me yesterday. Huh! Sometimes just switching things around can be very interesting.

Enjoy the day,

Jay
Old 11-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #92  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Old 11-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #93  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Jay - you know me well - that is the coolest gadget! Dang - Now I want one!!!

Congrats on another loss You are doing spectacularly!!!

Lori - hope you have a great time at the shower.
The frother is the Capresso FrothXpress . It just froths - nothing else, but it works GREAT! And - it will do soy and other milks beautifully too. Even our homemade soy milk which is has more sediment.

Hope you all had a GREAT weekend. I'm off to our church's annual Thanksgiving dinner potluck. Gotta go change into some tight jeans - hopefully that will help me with dessert control
Old 11-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #94  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Good Evening....Sunday night and a short weekend. Did not get much done today as I borrowed the neighbors hedge trimmer and attacked the bushes in my yard. Now the gardener is supposed to do this but he so slow there will be snow and it won't get done. So I cut them waaaay back. Now there are more branchs on the lawn than there are shrubs. Raked they up a bit but will leave them for him. He has a bit of an attitude so will be interesting to see. They tell me he is cheap. Well you get what you pay for.
I went and weighed in this morning and no loss. I knew that all week by the way I felt though. But that is ok. Will see how this week goes.
Funny you should mention it Jay but on this food plan you feel full most of the time as the meals are big but there are no snacks. But they just keep telling me to weigh and measure my food and not myself.

I am very stiff from all that yard work. Plus it was chilly out here too but sunny. I was planning to paint today but it was too sunny to let the day go by.
I went and picked up my mail and there was a flyer for the Vancouver Sympony. 4 nights for $99. Now isn't that a coincidence. There are 15 to chose from but would not know where to begin. I may listen to some online if I can.

Laurie does your milk frother make steamed milk? I am not much of a coffee drinker but love a steamed milk with a little vanilla in it. Or is it just a glass of froth?

I am going to try and get to the gym tomorrow. I have set myself a plan for the gym Monday Wednesday and Friday and I have a Tai Chi dvd and will do that at home on Tues and Thurs.
So far it is only a plan. I will see how stiff I am in the morning.
So hope you all have a good Monday!!
I am starting to dread my job. They are starting this plan to maximize every bit of work they can get out of you. I have had carpal tunnel surgery so do not need to turn my job into a race. But that is the plan. Nothing like some added stress for the last few years that I will be there.
Apparently I had one of the worst cases of carpal tunnel they had ever seen. So my hands are not very strong.
I have a jar opener that I just got. It is a steel V with teeth on the inside. You screw it under your cupboard and just press the jar into it and turn. Pretty nifty. Closes them if you need as well.
And speaking of snow globes!! I love those things. Started when I was young and my gramma has the first one I had ever seen. Just loved it. I used to imagine I was inside the little village...well you had to have been there..

Nite....Jude
Old 11-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #95  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

HI there - I am looking for a good support group here on 3FC. I used to post quite a bit last year but got carried away with life and such but now that the weight is packing back on I need to find myself some good support and be more accountable to my blog.

I am 53 -- newly married and need to lose the weight I should have before the wedding but that's a whole other story

I currently record every calorie I eat on a small handheld calorie counter and try to get moving more.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Joanne
Old 11-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #96  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Joanne!

We have quite a discussion group here--feel free to join in anytime! I'm a calorie counter, too--it's been very successful for me--like anything, it works if you work it.

Jude, sorry to hear that they want to get more out of you at your job. Don't let them push you... just keep up a comfortable pace. I've seen those lid openers you mentioned, too.

CD, how was the potluck?

I guess Lori is out of town...

meowee, are you surviving? Tell me you don't work weekends. Tell me that they pay you a lot of money for all that work.

Freda, did you make it a good day?

I'm off to... the gym now!

Jay
Old 11-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #97  

Jude - yes, it has a twist knob that controls how much milk and how much water go into the cup, so steamed milk is definitely an option with the frother. You would get a good head of froth on the top, but a decent quantity of milk if you ran it into an empty cup. I have done 50-50 before when I want the extra calories/protein.

Hope you made it to the gym! If not, get that DVD out - no excuses, girl - get moving!!!

Joanne - Glad to have you here with us. I'm another calorie counter It has been an excellent way for me to lose weight and learn to eat healthfully I hope you will post often so we can get to know you

Jay - potluck went well! We attacked the dessert table first, and I took my knife with me. I cut little slivers off 7 different desserts. I savored every bite. Then when the line went down, I was fairly full so I just took a few sweet potatoes and lots of veggies. I did have a protein drink before I went since I KNEW that there wouldn't be good veggie protein options.

Weight was 122.6 this morning

Gotta tell you though - you aren't helping my de-clutter process any - I love that bottle opener - I am thinking of ordering one for each "Mom" for Christmas. With both having lost their spouses recently, I think it would be a great tool. And while I'm at it, I will of course have to order one for myself. DH isn't always around to do the job for me - and opening jars - particularly with wide mouths - is tough for this chickie (arthritis and little hands).

Hope you had a great workout!

I tried a new workout this morning that I'm liking. It is good to mix things up, and I'm feeling the effects of the heavier weights tonight - which means that it is working
I was planning to get some shoveling in after work (the big beautiful flakes are falling and it is gorgeous out there) but DH decided to work a half day, so everything was freshly cleared when I got home. I might just have to go out and build a snowman tonight - who knows?
Hope everyone had a good start to the week!

Laurie

Last edited by CountingDown; 11-24-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #98  
Day at a Time

Welcome Joanne.
Nice to have someone new on board. I am just getting down to reality with this weight loss thing as well.
Laurie are you a vegetarian?? Sounds like you did well at the buffet.
I have to tell you I just attacked my linen closet. Now all the linens are sitting on the floor. Have to decide what to throw out. I have this whole thing in my head as to that is a big piece of material even if it is not used as a sheet anymore. I will save them in a rubbermaid in the garage I think.

Good for you for getting to the gym Jay. I went as well. I always remember you saying that if you waited till you wanted to go you would never go.
Tomorrow it is tai chi though. I have a physio appointment on my hand at 10 so will do it before that.

Hi to Freda and Lori and Linda out there. I am going to roast some veggies tonight if I get time to chop them all. That is the hardest part. Just bought myself a new knife set though. I have gone my whole life without a decent knife.

So I am at work so had best get back to the grindstone. I am having a hard time today craving something sweet. Not hungry just feel like the sweets. Something must be bugging me.

Have a good evening everyone.....Jude
Old 11-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Joanne welcome-we love new members.

Hi everyone, I'm back from Cleveland. Unlike Laurie, I had a brownie and another dessert. I have such a hard time with free food. I will do better tomorrow. We drove 3 hours to Cleveland, 3 hours for the shower, and another 3 hours home. No time to exercise to work off the dessert.

Hey Jude did you figure out what symphony you'll go to. I love the symphony and opera. Hope things get better at work.

Laurie sounds like you were really in control at your dinner. Planning by taking that protein drink was really smart. I need to start planning for these events.

Jay-congratulations on your weight loss. Super

Hi, Freda, and Meowee

Have a great day everyone. Lori

Last edited by flowingair; 11-24-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #100  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Jay, Laurie, Jude and Lori - I look forward to getting to know you all better. It will take me a while to get the cadence but here goes my day yesterday LOL.

I did rock out my third day of being good. Calories were 1714 and exercise was 30 minutes on my Wii Fit. I am looking forward to the days when I can get back to the gym before I leave work - we have a wonderful gym here at work that I can use for free - I am crazy to not be there more but I do have a couple of chronic physical problems that have prevented me from exercising like I was able to - just working my way around the exercise now and looking forward to moving more.

On nice days I will be doing a good 30 minute walk. My husband works walking distance from our house - so my plan on nice days (great timing with winter approaching ) to walk up and meet him and walk home with him. That's a good 40 minutes at least.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Joanne
Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #101  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Joanne! I would LOVE to have a Wii Fit! I've used one someone else had--we did bowling, which was a blast. I'm a walker also, at least 30 minutes a day just about every day.

Not today, though--or the gym. It was my day off exercise. I have to make myself not go, because I have to have a rest day now and then, but it doesn't feel right. I guess I'm afraid I'll be "struck fat."

Jude, about the symphony--$99 is a good deal for 4 concerts. But if it seems like too much, you can often get a single ticket for something you think you'd like.

Lori, glad you're back from Cleveland! Sounds like a lot of driving...

meowee! Are you hanging in there? Are you getting up for air now and then?

Now Laurie, you know those bottle openers are just the thing. heh heh. They adjust to everything from a wide-mouthed olive jar lid to a screw-off pop bottle lid, or even a ketchup bottle top. I just don't even bother anymore with the hot water, banging on the counter, wrapping a towel around, etc....

Well, I finished one project... for now... and can now move on to the others for awhile. Musical projects--like musical chairs, I mean. Jayjay, I'm a textbook editor and I'm always facing deadlines of one sort or another. I'm probably going to have to work most of this weekend, sorry to say, to get caught up.

See ya!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-25-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #102  

Jude - hope you were able to resist those cravings! Stay strong!!!

Yes, I have been a vegetarian since our oldest was born (26 years ago). I changed my eating quite a bit while I was pregnant, and then we both decided that we needed to change our diet even more after he was born. Both boys are vegetarians, and although we always gave them permission to eat meat away from home, they have stayed vegetarians as adults.

Lori - now read my post again - I ate 7 different desserts - just one bite of each - LOL Sounds like you did OK - at the shower - not too much damage. I keep the South Beach Tide Me Over drink pouches everywhere. You just add them to water and they aren't bad at all - and are a nice fiber and protein boost. I use them in the afternoon when I get "nappy" or "snacky" too.

Joanne - sounds like you have the exercise and eating down DH and i both live walking distance from work too. I need my car during the school year, but DH is stil walking to work every day. I got him YaK Trax for his birthday

Jay - glad you got one project off the plate - and sorry you will have to work some of the weekend. I hope you get a chance to have some respite time. Does your partner have time off over the holiday?

And - I broke down and ordered 3 of the jar openers - which means that I did order one for me. Just means I have to purge something else when I clean the kitchen

This will probably be my last post until next Wed. We head out tomorrow afternoon for Grand Rapids and we aren't taking the computer with us. We fly out at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving.

I hope you all have a blessed and fun-filled holiday. I must say that I count all of you among my blessings

Take care and enjoy and stay ON PLAN!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:38 PM   #103  
Day at a Time

Well this morning I made my first batch of roasted vegetables. It was sooo good. I just had some with my dinner. I did the usual but added some leeks and some shallots and some garlic cloves. A little meditaranean seasoning.So good. Now I have a bowl full for the next couple of days.

Some one at my work has a freezer for sale so may buy that. It is an upright. I could bag up my veggies and freeze some but am finding the feezer in my fridge is pretty small. Still negotiating that deal.

I have emailed a friend about the symphony but she just got married so she may be spending her time with him. Will see what she has to say.

I have no idea what I would like. I know I do not like dark music. I like uplifting. Any suggestions.
Jay I will see if I can scan the list and maybe you can help me with that.

I slept in this morning and did not get my tai chi done. Had a terrible time sleeping last night. Not sure what that was all about. Yesterday all I wanted to do was grab a chocolate cake and a fork. Might have something to do with the season. Not sure. My sugar intake is still at about 95% gone. It is the odd thing that leaps into my mouth. I know that I do fight with the idea that success is for everyone but me. Very self defeating. I know I can get there but will I be able to maintian a weight loss. I never have before.

Hmm a lot of all or nothing thinking going on I just realized. One good way to stop before you start.
I think maybe weighing in on Sunday and not losing might have been an issue as well. Maybe I should just weigh in once a month. Find that a little scary though.
Or just learn to take the good with the bad.
I am reading From the First Bite and it does help with lots of these emotions.

Laurie have a great holiday. I am guessing you are going to see the kids?
And Jay if it is any consolation I will be working a full day on Saturday too. Overtime money for me though. And it is not our Thanksgiving.

Lori that was quite the trip. Hard to stay OP when there is so much going on. Hope you get to be a new slim you for that wedding. I remember when I got married thinking I should lose a little. Lol I gained instead. Must have been a message there.

Hey Joanne I just noticed you were from Canada. Fabulous. I am from White Rock. Lets try and make this the winter to change everything.

So everyone I am off soon. Going home to watch the Biggest Loser. Maybe get my tai chi done.

I tried steaming my milk in the microwave. Worked well. Then frothed it a bit with an immersion blender. Added some sugar free vanilla. It was delicious but I was up peeing all night long. Have to save it for the morning. Need to check on the calorie count on that milk as well.

Have a good one everyone and here is to an abstinant day tomorrow...Jude
Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #104  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning everyone, Lovely, COL day here. I'm using the treadmill for walking now. Just too cold to get out there. And treadmill walking is so different from walking outside, it's an adjustment. Not too terribly boring, I watch TV while walking. I still lift my weights at least 3 times a week too

Joanne, Hi! Welcome aboard!! Looking forward to getting to know you too. I'm a calorie counter also. Workes well for me.

Jay, I'm off the weekend, but I have to work Thanksgiving day, untill 8 oclock. That is what I hate about those 12 hour shifts. Too late to do much of anything after that. Hubby and son are taking GS to his first professional football game. We will have our Thanksgiving on Saturday.

Jude, I have artharitis in my hands and they are very weak too. I have a simple rubber "saucer' that you put over the lid to open it. I can see one of those openers in my future though.

Laurie, Enjoy your trip,

To everyone, Happy Thanksgiving

Freda
Old 11-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #105  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

I'm still at it but almost finished and I've also told them that I don't wish to continue doing this stuff so . . . please leave me alone next year, guys. . . Hope it finally sinks in this time.

Yes Jay, I've been working weekends too, but just have to do a final report by Friday and then I'm done -- I was making very good money when I retired seven years ago -- but haven't had a raise since. Believe me, they couldn't find enough money to pay for the way I feel right now.
Closed Thread