Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #46  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Good morning all. It's a cold, rainy day here. Not good for the wreath services and parades. Last night the weather guy kept telling everyone to have their umbrellas ready for today and he was right. It's just past 11 o'clock and we have observed the 2 minutes of silence in our town. The old war siren went off to begin and end the observed time.

With mom living with us we rarely get to the war memorial service anymore. We took her there once in the car but she was too anxious to sit and and listen and watch the activities so we had to leave as soon as we could. She's alright in the car as long as it's moving but doesn't do well just sitting.

DH is calling for help. Needs me to help lift a cupboard. Catch you all later.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #47  

Height: 5' 8"

Hi all

Well, I officially moved my ticker back up to 145 Been hovering around there for over a week so I guess I gotta. I'm thinkin' I'm tired and need a break. Between the hectic work life, upcoming holidays, and the fact that this Friday will be my last day as a smoker, I've decided I'm going to just work on maintaining until after the first of the year. After all, I have really come a long way, and look sooo much better than I did a year ago, so not having to buy any more size smaller clothes for a month or two will be okay (although having that perfect excuse to go shopping on a regular basis will be missed ) Quite honestly though, I don't think it's going to be that much of a break - I'll still be weighing myself regularly and measuring all my food but I'm thinking that letting go of that "gotta lose more lbs" focus might be enough of a mental rest to have me re-energized after the first.

Time to do something constructive. Have a wonderful day
Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #48  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Girls!
Where did everyone go? We have many activities in our area cancelled because of snow storm predictions. My DH still doesn't have a deer yet, but did tell owner of land he hunts on about some jerk that shot a deer and left it to rot.
I've been busy selling stuff on ebay, had great luck selling this week/past week.
Karen31, where are you?
Isabella...my hot glue gun is the best purchase I've ever made. I wear hats to church and have so much fun decorating them with silk flowers to match whatever outfit I'm wearing.
Quote:
I take the poppy apart and hot glue the center to the middle of the flower and hot glue a brooch pin on the back. I've not lost a poppy since.
Karen3...you have such a funny sense of humor
Quote:
DH went fishing again early this am. He will be walking sideways like an ole jimmy crab when he gets home with 2 days in a row.

YoYo... That's the key, eating slowly. I've tried putting my fork down between bites but when I stop thinking about it, I go back to that nasty old habit.
Quote:
Always a really great time with tons of yummy food so my plan is to skip the breads, dressing, and desserts but let myself have as much turkey and salads (with oil & vinegar dressing only) as I feel like. Going to stick with my new habit of eating slowly and pausing between bites to make sure I'm not full and stopping before I feel stuffed.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 11-11-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hello all....just got back from another trip to the endodonist to the tune of $850. Imagine paying that so DH can leak blood all over my car seat. Poor baby is hurting. Gave him some Tylenol and that's it today. Can start back on regular meds tomorrow. He now realizes how much his doses of Aleve help get him thru the day.

Think I'll go get the ingredients to make a pot of chicken soup with big soft noodles. Then again I may just open a can. I'd eat the noodles and he would just sip the brooth. I have to cook all day Thursday so think I will enjoy a quiet afternoon.

YoYo...Kid you not about a warning in KC. I had come off Rt70 for gas and when coming back on there were state police cars on the shoulder half way down the ramp. I signaled and went to outer lane and young cop(15?) jumps out with hand up. They were stopping all out of state cars and claimed I made an illegal lane change. When I questioned him because down here you must move over a lane when passing stopped cop car he said true in Kansas too when dome lights are going. Turns out they had just gotten Fed money and were spending it to promote highway safety for holiday weekend. But left bad taste in my mouth. Hey, no dome lights but 6 police cars looks like you should move over......told my SIL who is a police chief and he could hardly believe it.

Boy, do I get a gold star for TACT! On the way to Daytona DF tells me I wash my hair too much. I have baby fine curly hair and wash it everyday. Or it looks like Phyllis Diller meets Lucy. She went on to say she only washes her's once a week and it's fine. She hadn't washed it before we left and didn't do it at the hotel. It was nasty and I kept my mouth shut. Do you know hair spray attracts salt spray? I didn't look close but suspect moths too.

Feeling guilty not making something special for Dh.....guess I'll go make a bowl of jello......karen3
Old 11-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #50  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post

Boy, do I get a gold star for TACT! On the way to Daytona DF tells me I wash my hair too much. I have baby fine curly hair and wash it everyday. Or it looks like Phyllis Diller meets Lucy. She went on to say she only washes her's once a week and it's fine. She hadn't washed it before we left and didn't do it at the hotel. It was nasty and I kept my mouth shut. Do you know hair spray attracts salt spray? I didn't look close but suspect moths too.
Oh wowee, does that ever hit home -- I have very fine and very oily hair and if it isn't washed it just sort of hangs there and looks like I've been standing in an oily rain -- geez, if I had to make a choice (and hopefully I never will) I'd rather skip the shower than the shampoo.

Well, it's getting colder around here and very windy -- especially at the time of the Remembrance Day ceremonies at the cenotaph -- but still no snow. I just know we are going to pay for this mild spell later on. The long term forecast is calling for double digits (low 50sF) by this weekend again.

Have a good evening, gang . . .
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #51  
Bobbi

Good Morning and what a beautiful morning it is! We woke up to a winter wonderland, every tree is heavy with snow and what a festive mood it's put me in. I just got back in from shoveling snow, one of my favorite things to do in the winter. We like to cross country ski too but that usually gets put on the back burner. We're both the type that likes to get our work finished first, play later.
Good luck Yoyo on ditching your smoking habit, just think how wonderful you'll feel after you get that monkey off your back. I smoked years ago but only in the downstairs bedroom with the door shut, I didn't want our home to smell of it. After all these years, I can still smell the lingering odor of smoke down there. It's all paneled and there is no way to get that smell out of the wood.
Quote:
Between the hectic work life, upcoming holidays, and the fact that this Friday will be my last day as a smoker,
Well.........I've got to go curl my hair (I have very thick baby fine hair too, never lost my baby hair)and fill in the cracks on my face. DH always teases me when I say that, he says I don't have enough time in the day
Have a good one!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning, Sorry I have been MIA for a bit. Things have just been so stressful with trying to get the house sold and then trying to buy a house in MO. and things just didn't work out on 2 different houses! So needless to say my diet has been trashed for the last month! I was honest though and I did change my ticker! Hopefully, I can get back on track and get out of this dumpy mood!

Last edited by Karen31; 11-12-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #53  

Height: 5' 8"

Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #54  
Isabella

Afternoon ladies. It's raining here again and Bobbi, I'm so glad it's not snow. I hate shoveling snow, getting snow down my boots, walking through snow, watching snow, driving through snow, any kind of snow!!! I'm glad you like snow, though and you're welcome to it. We get piles and piles of the white stuff until March for sure and sometimes April and May's not uncommon. But we won't get much snow until after Christmas. We'll get some but not much.

Karen31, on the house selling and buying. Hope everything gets straightened out soon.

I had a delicious Broccoli and Cheese Quiche with Mashed Potato Crust for lunch. You can get the recipe here. It's really good. I substituted egg beaters for one of the eggs and used skim milk and half the oil in the recipe and used pan spray to grease the pan and sprayed the unbaked crust instead of brushing it with oil.

Broccoli & Cheddar Quiche with Mashed Potato Crust
Crust:
medium baking potatoes, peeled
1/4 cup (50 mL)
milk
1/2 tsp (2 mL)
salt
1 tbsp (15 mL)
olive oil (divided)
Filling:
2 cups (500 mL)
coarsely chopped cooked broccoli OR 1 pkg (300 g) frozen whole broccoli, defrosted and coarsely chopped
1-1/2 cups (375 mL)
coarsely grated Cheddar cheese
3 eggs
1 cup (250 mL)
milk
1/2 tsp (2 mL)
salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL)
pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg

2 green onions, chopped

For the Crust:
Cut potatoes into chunks. Cook potatoes in water until tender, about 20 minutes; drain well. Mash with milk and salt. Brush a 9-inch (23 cm) deep pie dish with part of the olive oil or spray with a nonstick cooking spray. Press in mashed potatoes. Brush with remaining oil or spray. Bake crust in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 30 minutes. Potatoes should be lightly browned and crusty. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C).

For the Filling:
Arrange well-drained broccoli and cheese on top of the potato crust. In medium bowl, whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour over broccoli and cheese. Sprinkle with green onions. Bake quiche 30 to 40 minutes until slightly puffed, browned and just set. Allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.

I put the ingredients in nutritiondata.com and this is what they gave me for 1/6th of the pie. You can cut down on the salt if you want less sodium and use low fat cheese if you want to lower the grams of fat.

Amount Per Serving (1/6th of pie) using skim milk
Calories~255.0
Calories from Fat~108.0
Fat~12.0g
Saturated Fat~6.0g
Cholesterol~31.0 mg
Sodium~852.0 mg
Carbohydrate~24.0
Dietary Fiber~4.0g
Protein~14.0g

Vitamin A~29%
Calcium~30%
Vitamin C~70%
Iron~5%

Last edited by retiredone; 11-12-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #55  
Bobbi

Morning!
Isabella...great recipe, I haven't had quiche for a long time because of the high calorie crust. Using mashed potatoes is a super good idea, will try in the future using skim milk and lower fat cheddar cheese. Thanks!
I had my funny bone tickled this morning from a friend from
VanCouver, B.C. It's quite long!
Quote:

I just want to thank all of you for your educational e-mails over the past year. I am totally screwed up now and have little chance of recovery.
I no longer open a public bathroom door
without using a paper towel or have them put lemon slices in my ice water without worrying about the bacteria on the lemon peel.
I can't use the remote in a hotel room
because I don't know what the last person was doing while flipping through the adult movie channels.
I can't sit down on the hotel bedspread
because I can only imagine what has happened on it since it was last washed.
I have trouble shaking hands
with someone who has been driving because the number one pastime while driving alone is picking ones nose (although cell phone usage may be taking the number one spot).
Eating a little snack sends me on a guilt trip
because I can only imagine how many gallons of trans fats I have consumed over the years.
I can't touch any woman's purse
for fear she has placed it on the floor of a public bathroom.
I MUST SEND MY SPECIAL THANKS
to whoever sent me the one about poop in the glue on envelopes because I now have to use a wet sponge with every envelope that needs sealing.
ALSO,
now I have to scrub the top of every can I open for the same reason.
I no longer have any savings
because I gave it to a sick girl (Penny Brown) who is about to die in the hospital for the 1,387,258th time.
I no longer have any money at all,
but that will change once I receive the $15,000 that Bill Gates/Microsoft and AOL are sending me for participating in their special e-mail program.
I no longer worry about my soul
because I have 363,214 angels looking out for me, and St. Theresa's Novena has granted my every wish.
I no longer eat KFC
because their chickens are actually horrible mutant freaks with no eyes or feathers.
I no longer use cancer-causing deodorants
even though I smell like a water buffalo on a hot day.
THANKS TO YOU
I have learned that my prayers only get answered if I forward an e-mail to seven of my friends and make a wish within five minutes.
BECAUSE OF YOUR CONCERN,
I no longer drink Coca Cola because it can remove toilet stains.
I no longer can buy gasoline
without taking someone along to watch the car so a serial killer won't crawl in my back seat when I'm pumping gas.
I no longer drink Pepsi or Dr. Pepper
since the people who make these products are atheists who refuse to put 'Under God' on their cans.
I no longer use Saran Wrap
in the microwave because it causes cancer.
AND THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW
I can't boil a cup of water in the microwave anymore because it will blow up in my face ... disfiguring me for life.
I no longer check the coin return on pay phones
because I could be pricked with a needle infected with AIDS.
I no longer go to shopping malls
because someone will drug me with a perfume sample and rob me.
I no longer receive packages from UPS or Fed Ex
since they are actually Al Qaeda in disguise.
I no longer shop at Target
since they are French and don't support the American troops or the Salvation Army.
I no longer answer the phone
because someone will ask me to dial a number for which I will get a phone bill with calls to Jamaica, Uganda, Singapore, and Uzbekistan.
I no longer buy expensive cookies from Neiman Marcus
since I now have their recipe.
THANKS TO YOU
I can't use anyone's toilet but mine because a big brown African spider is lurking under the seat to cause me instant death when it bites my butt.
AND THANKS TO YOUR GREAT ADVICE
I can't ever pick up $5.00 dropped in the parking lot because it probably was placed there by a sex molester waiting underneath my car to grab my leg.
I can no longer drive my car
because I can't buy gas from certain gas companies!
I can't do any gardening
because I'm afraid I'll get bitten by the brown recluse and my hand will fall off.
If you don't send this e-mail to at least 144,000 people in the next 70 minutes, a large dove with diarrhea will land on your head at 5:00 p.m. tomorrow afternoon and the fleas from 12 camels will infest your back, causing you to grow a hairy hump. I know this will occur because it actually happened to a friend of my next door neighbor's ex-mother-in-law's second husband's cousin's beautician.

Oh, by the way ...

A German scientist from Argentina, after a lengthy study, has discovered that people with insufficient brain activity read their e-mail with their hand on the mouse.

Don't bother taking it off now, it's too late
Old 11-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #56  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Yep . . . I sat here with my hand on the mouse the whole time I was reading that . . .

Anyway . . . good morning to everybody . . . . . . boy is it ever cold around here this morning, but no snow. I actually like to look at snow from inside; but definitely do not like to hve to drive in it.

Have a great day, gang . . .
Old 11-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #57  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

That was cute Bobbi ~ I think I have read all that stuff at one time or another.

I am procrastinating today ~ supposed to be going to my work place for some help with stuff for my anual review. You are supposed to be able to get on the computer at home and work on it ~ I tried yesterday and it was an exercise in frustration. Having a hard time making myself get out and go do that.

Hope you all are doing well.

Take care
Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #58  

Evening all....am exhausted and not done. Had one of those stupid days. 2 steps forward and 6 back. Have the carrot cake and 96 sandwiches made. Have boiled and peeled 4 dozen eggs. There are 72 deviled eggs and egg salad made. Vegies'n dip are packed. Still have to make the roll ups. Pack my director's bag and take some more asprin. I hurt my right hip over in Daytona. Walking down the steep drive on the cobble stones. Standing at the counter today killed me. Did 2 loads of wash too....and got my nails done....and made 2nd trip to town for chocolate chips. Made a garache for chocolate mini cakes and it isn't thickening.... which is better than the last time when I poured it on the cake and the cake imploded. Rest a while then do the roll ups. The egg salad sandwiches get done in am so they don't get soggy. Think I'll threw in the Halloween candy. I was saving it for the chocoaholic friends but since they are leaving here to go back up North for by pass surgery having candy won't be PC! Didn't cheat and eat any of the stuff, but forgot to drink my water. Am sitting here chunging a bottle....if you need me any time after midnight you know i'll be in the bathroom.....see what happens when I get exhausted...rambing....mind is in over drive and body is groanin 6 steps back......Gotta watch Survivor!Missed last week.....hugs, Karen3
Old 11-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #59  
Isabella

Hello all. I was just about to post something and it went out of my head so fast it frightened me. I guess I'll just say hi and come back tomorrow after a good night's sleep. Maybe I'll remember then.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #60  

Morning...woke up at 5am with sixteen almost problems dancing in my head. Funny how sunrise solves most of them. Everything is done and packed except one tray of eggs.....ran out of cooler space. Must remember to stick pedometer in my pocket. Opppps forgot the candy.

The space shuttle is supposed to go up at 7:55pm. They are worried about thunderstorms. It was so remarkable down here that we can see it go from our front porch. It's 110 miles miles East of us. And friends 150 miles South of us see it exactly the same. It is awesome to see a night flight. Would like to go to Cape just once. The noise is hugh even here. Been under the return flight and that's wierd. Quiet except for air currants. Yeah, I said thunderstorms....it got so hot and humid the past 2 days we had to put a/c back on.

Called the vet about Dash's serum injections and he forgot to order them. So another 2 weeks before we start with the daily shots. He gets 3 candy corn for 2 pills. How much is an injection worth? 4 corn and a candy pumkin? Can you tell I got the candy on after holiday sale? For his 3 corn he sits, opens his mouth I toss in the pills and wait until he swallows which shows when his tongue pops out. I have never had a human patient take pills easier. Just rattle to candy tub and he's ready....heck just start to open the plastic vial...

DH just had what he claims is the best breakfast...yuck...had cold egg plant parm and deviled eggs..... yes, has all the proper ingredients, but breakfast?

Well, Time for shower and off to the game....Taking extra asprin with me...Karen3
Closed Thread