Old 04-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
I recently discovered I like Hummus and I was delighted to discover it is a fine and healthy food . . . guess it has to be since it is bean-based . . . wow I really seem to have gone on a bean kick this past week or so. Definitely one of the best foods there is for controlling blood sugar levels.
Linda,

Here's my favorite hummus recipe - I really don't like anyone else's -

Ingredients
3/4 cup tahini
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 can (19 oz) chick peas drained & rinsed (NOTE: I actually cook my own chick peas, but if you use canned, your hummus will turn out less thick)
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Whisk together the tahini & olive oil
In food processor blend the chick peas, lemon juice, garlic (and salt/pepper) adding in the tahini mixture a little at a time
Put hummus in container & sprinkle with paprika
Refrigerate for at least an hour
Enjoy!
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Lynn, don't you think 900 calories is getting close to starvation? I decided a while ago I would not eat under a certain amount of food because I hate feeling hungry and it's so hard to include all the vitamins and nutrients needed in a smaller caloric intake. It might be better to change your exercise routine than cut down on calories.
Hi Isabella,

I know that you're right - I ALWAYS have problems when I cut down too much. I just have SUCH a hard time with "patience."

Lynn
Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntChuChu View Post
I am trying to go sugar-free. I feel so much better when I'm off sugar. It is a real trial for me. I started my healthier eating plan this week.
Good for you! The good thing about getting off sugar is that it does get easier. Are you also cutting down on white stuff - potatoes, pasta, rice?

Lynn
Old 04-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHouseLady View Post
Hi all,
I'm new at 3FC and there seems to be an amazing number of threads of interest!

My lows this week ... the top of that list has to be the apple fritter I ate at work Friday! I blame it on the anonymous co-worker who brought in a box of doughnuts.

One good thing I discovered a while ago: popcorn that doesn't involve butter but tastes good. I adapted a recipe I found for spicy popcorn and nuts (intended to be a homemade Christmas gift): I air-pop popcorn and then gently heat some canola oil, adding spices to taste (I use things like cumin, cayenne pepper, paprika, turmeric and so on). I wait for most of the solids to settle (although that's not necessary) and then pour the flavoured oil over the popcorn.

I've cut way down on my sugar, but am not sure I want to give it up entirely ... the same with meat. I'm looking for some good vegetarian recipes to make up the majority of my week's recipes ... but can't see myself giving up meat entirely.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!
Whatever works is GOOD! For most folks it's not a good idea to completely give up any category of food. The trick is finding the balance that works for you.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #20  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

LYNN . . . did you know that you can quote numerous people in the same post? and save yourself a little time and energy?

At the bottom where the little "quote" button is located, there is also a larger button that looks like a page of a manuscript with a large pair of qutation marks on it. Click that on each of the posts you want to quote except for the last one. For the last one, click on the regular little quote button. You will end up with a series of quotes and you can type your comments in between them.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #21  
Onward and Downward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Good for you! One of my favorite sayings is "Nothing tastes as good as fitting into a smaller size feels.

Lynn

This is what it would look like . . . #1

Quote:
Linda,

Here's my favorite hummus recipe - I really don't like anyone else's -

Ingredients
3/4 cup tahini
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp chopped garlic
1 can (19 oz) chick peas drained & rinsed (NOTE: I actually cook my own chick peas, but if you use canned, your hummus will turn out less thick)
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions
Whisk together the tahini & olive oil
In food processor blend the chick peas, lemon juice, garlic (and salt/pepper) adding in the tahini mixture a little at a time
Put hummus in container & sprinkle with paprika
Refrigerate for at least an hour
Enjoy!
Thanks LYNN, sounds good . . . #2

Quote:
Hi Isabella,

I know that you're right - I ALWAYS have problems when I cut down too much. I just have SUCH a hard time with "patience."

Lynn
I know, we allways want it "now", don't we . . . #3

Quote:
Good for you! The good thing about getting off sugar is that it does get easier. Are you also cutting down on white stuff - potatoes, pasta, rice?

Lynn
It's like cutting out salt, or changing to skim milk, after a little while, the original version tastes 'yucky' . . . #4

Quote:
Whatever works is GOOD! For most folks it's not a good idea to completely give up any category of food. The trick is finding the balance that works for you.
You miss out on too many needed nutrients that way. . . . #5

BTW . . . the Red doesn't happen automatically. If I'm 'multi-quoting', I think it helps to put your comments in a different colour.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #22  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHouseLady View Post
I'm looking for some good vegetarian recipes to make up the majority of my week's recipes ...
Hello CatHouseLady. Here's a vegetarian vegetable curry with chickpeas and I'll also post it in the recipe thread here at 50+. I don't have the nutritional values but there's no added fat so it's pretty low cal.

Vegetable Curry
16-oz. package baby carrots or 1 lb. carrots, sliced or cut in sticks
3 medium potatoes, cubed (or use cauliflower for lower calories)
1 lb. fresh, or frozen green beans, cut in 2-inch pieces
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons minute tapioca
3 teaspoons curry powder (or to taste)
2 teaspoon salt
1¾ cups boiling water or more to make a nice sauce
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon, or 2 chicken bouillon cubes

Combine carrots, potatoes, green beans, pepper, onion, garlic, garbanzo beans, and tomatoes in large bowl. Stir in tapioca, curry powder, and salt. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Pour over vegetables. Mix well. Cook in large covered pot on stove until vegetables are tender or spoon into large slow cooker or two medium ones. Cover. Cook on Low 8-10 hours or High 3-4 hours. Serve with cooked rice if desired

This recipe may also be cooked on the stove in a large pot. Cook until vegetables are tender.

Last edited by retiredone; 04-13-2008 at 01:15 PM.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #23  

Quote:
LYNN . . . did you know that you can quote numerous people in the same post? and save yourself a little time and energy?

At the bottom where the little "quote" button is located, there is also a larger button that looks like a page of a manuscript with a large pair of qutation marks on it. Click that on each of the posts you want to quote except for the last one. For the last one, click on the regular little quote button. You will end up with a series of quotes and you can type your comments in between them.
Thank you, Linda,

This is my new thing to learn today. I LOVE it.

Lynn
Old 04-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #24  
Onward and Downward

Glad you like it, LYNN . . . BTW . . . you are obviously a real lover of sesame flavour . . . all the other hummus recipes I've come across call for 1/4 cup of tahini to two cups of cooked chickpeas.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #25  

Quote:
Glad you like it, LYNN . . . BTW . . . you are obviously a real lover of sesame flavour . . . all the other hummus recipes I've come across call for 1/4 cup of tahini to two cups of cooked chickpeas.
I LOVE sesame.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #26  
Onward and Downward

OMG . . . would you believe Hummus made with Peanut Butter in place of the tahini and the oil . . . . . . when you've got as many cookbooks as I have, you find just about anything, eventually. No -- I do not plan to try it; especially knowing how I am about PB I'm sure I'd eat the whole batch at one sitting and then get into the rest of the jar of PB too -- just thought it was worth a giggle

Last edited by meowee; 04-13-2008 at 07:52 PM. Reason: too bad I can't type tonight
Old 04-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #27  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Hi, I posted this the other day... thought you might enjoy it if you haven't seen it...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...light=Friskies
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #28  
Onward and Downward

You know I think a lot of pet foods are more carefully regulated for healthy ingredients than people food . . . but that doesn't mean I want to start eating them . . .

Just came across this great little link . . . http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/fa...drogenated.htm . . . explaining the difference between "partially hydrogenated" and "fully hydrogenated" fats. I definitely did not know this . . . just amazing how you keep on learning new things around 3FC all the time . . . gotta it.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #29  

Isabella, thanks for the recipe for the vegetable curry. I've been looking for a good one and this sounds great. i want to start eating more curry. One thing, I like it, and and another, it's supposed to be very healthy.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #30  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Me...no sugar,no processed foods, no white flour, no white rice, no white pasta only olive oil, only whole grains, lean meat, fresh vegs, fresh fruit etc. I eat about every three hours so I won't get hungry and plan, plan plan ahead...on the activity front it's Fluidity fitness, Callenetcis, and Yogilates.

I think one of the "secrets" is lots of fresh herbs!! Flavor, spice and season food and it makes it special instead of a "diet". Make your plate look good and it tastes even better! Be adventurous!

Here's a recipe I kind of made up yesterday:
I stuffed chicken breasts with a mixture of laughing cow cheese and fresh tarragon and a slice of lf ham. (cut a slit on the side of each breast to stuff it.) Then sprayed them with olive oil pam and dredged the top of each piece in a mixture of oat flour and parm. cheese and creole seasoning and baked till done. Really good and tasted kind of like Chicken Cordon Bleau

Last edited by femmecreole; 04-14-2008 at 10:14 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote