3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Losing weight can help my arthritis

Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #31
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi there RAINBOW . . . and to the Age 50+ Forum as well.

Afraid I can't answer your question about the Zone Diet and Vegetarianism, but would imagine it could fit together -- I haven't read the book in years, I'm afraid so if it isn't in there (how old a copy do you have), perhaps there is a website you could check. Afraid it isn't a particularly active plan here at 3FC -- at least not at the present time. Plans seem to ebb and flow in popularity around here.

Now regarding your question about excess skin and weight loss, there is a really terrific thread about that topic in the Maintainers Forum and here's a link . . . Weight Loss And Skin FAQs. As it mentions in there, everyone is different; but it is something that plagues more of us than not and definitely something that tends to become more likely as we get a bit older. But, the bottom line -- it's a lot easier to live with the loose skin than the escess weight.

I think you will find quite a few chickies around the site who are into meditation. Anything that has a calming influence on our lives has got to be helpful in the weight-loss arena, also.

Good luck on your journey . . . we will all be looking forward to getting to know you better . . .

Last edited by meowee : 05-20-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: too bad I can't type tonight.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #32

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi all, I just invested in a pair of orthodics for my shoes. I'm on my feet all day. It made a world of difference for my knees and feet. Lori

flowingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #33

Hi, just a quick run by.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #34
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

After another night of sleeplessness and an overall achy body, I'm turning to 3FC for support. I turned 50 in December, so what a better place to come to than the Age50+ forum. I'm a fairly seasoned poster, but that was with the LAWL site. Demands of a new job had me posting less and less, and although I haven't gained all my weight back, the pounds are creeping back on.

The added pounds and officially reaching menopause status seem to have taken a toll on my body and it's screaming for attention. Although, this time, my goal is not to lose "X" number of pounds, but to get rid of the non-stop achiness that seems to be running through my body. The posts about eating an anti-inflammation body really jumped out at me and I plan to see which eating plan (Zone, South Beach or Mediterranean) will work best for my lifestyle.

I really don't have any pain in a specific area (knee or hip), so I don't think I have any arthritis. What I have is all over body ache...from the top of my head to my toes.....so I'm leaning towards eliminating the inflammation. I was about to call my doctor to see what she had to say, but sometimes I think what I say goes in one ear and out the other....or maybe I just don't want any bad news. Anyway, thanks for helping me find a solution that doesn't involve narcotics...I really want to avoid those. Any tips or feedback to this post is more than welcome!

Last edited by Joni135 : 07-01-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #35
Onward and Downward

. . . glad to have you with us . . . . . . You are still very young in my books, Chickie.

I follow a low GI/GL type of lifestyle, which is great for keeping inflamation in check and also great for managing my Diabetes.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #36

Hi Joni Welcome. This is a great place to chat. I also go to Golden Girls and Active girls. Everyone has such good ideas. I hate going to the doctor too! Sometimes we have to. Lori

Old 07-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #37
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Lori...I'll check out the sites you recommended...thanks.
Meowee...you sure are the 'posting' queen!
I wound up doing a lot of online research about inflammation and got a list of food dos and don'ts. I also ordered a used book online - something like the Zone for inflammation. Hopefully, I'll be consistent about following a good program. I'm my own worst enemy sometimes....I can go a couple days and then when I start to feel better, I go back to my old habits..and then the cycle starts all over. You think after all these years I could get it right! Oh well, I just keep plugging along!
Hope your all having a great week. Joni
Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 AM   #38
Onward and Downward

. . . high post counts just go with being a Moderator I guess -- I'm low compared to a few of the gals, like my buddies Ruthxxx and Leenie who both have counts that are more than double mine.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #39

Joni did you get any good ideas from the Zone. I'm always looking for things that help. I'm a teacher so I'm of my feet for the summer and boy what a difference that makes. I'm still very active biking and kayaking, but it's not that constant standing.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #40

S/C/G: 189/187/150

Height: 5'6"

So glad i found this thread - after believing i had read everything posted on anything here for the last year or so.

One of the main reasons i want to lose this 35 lbs. or more is to take some weight off my knees. The surgeon told me last summer that, iF i baby my knees,i can put off replacing the right one for maybe three years. Babying my knees, according to the doctor, means no stairs, no walking for exercise, etc. That was a year ago and the weight has piled on since then. I have always tried to avoid medication, but took a bad fall on the right knee in the spring and am now on an anti-inflammatory med and hate to give it up because it helps so much in alleviating the pain.

ok, waaaah, waaaah, waaaah...all that just to say you guys have some great advice. I had thought about looking into anti-inflammatory ways of eating, but had not. Thumping myself on the head now. You folks are full of great advice. That will be today's research for me!!

Thanks again. Your comments really motivate and fill me with hope.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #41

Default Zone Diet

How is the Zone Diet working for people? I need help desperately. I exercise, I eat veggies and fruits, yet I gain. I play tennis 2-3 times a week, walk the dogs and go to the gym (infrequently )

I've come to the conclusion that I'm eating the wrong foods for me. I seem to always be hungry. Maybe the Zone Diet is for me.

Any and all help is appreciated as I too have arthritis in my knees, wrists and so on.

Help me Rhonda! Help, help me Rhonda
TryItDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:44 AM   #42

Default Zone Diet

Thanks Meowee

I had read other posts about this particular diet and wonder what it was like. I reread my post and it does sound like I'm a vegetarian, but I'm not. I'll eat steak once in a while and a good cheese burger, but grilled boneless, skinless chicken is my fave.

Again, thanks!
TryItDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #43

Hi, for me exercise helps my arthritis, but it's exercise like biking and swimming that keep pressure off my knees. It's so hard to get movingto exercise, but I think the right kind of exercise really helps.

Last edited by flowingair : 08-04-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #44
Onward and Downward

Well . . . when I think about how much I would have ached a couple of years ago as compared to how much I ache today (after three or four days of solid rain) . . . losing weight has definitely helped. I'm not pain free, but at least I'm still moving.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:11 AM   #45

Quick fly-by

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.