3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Losing weight can help my arthritis

Old 04-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #16

Height: 5' 7"

Smile

[quote=KateB;2166921]

One of the sheets she gave me talked about a study on the effects of weight and arthritis. That study showed for EACH EXTRA POUND you carry it puts an additional 5 pounds of stress on your hips and 7 to 9 pounds on your knees. So in reverese...for each pound you lose it has the benefits on your hip joints of a 5 pound loss and your knees as a 7 to 9 pound loss.

Those numbers increase even more if you are 100 pounds or more overweight.

QUOTE]

Thanks for this info Kate. Very interesting!

Last edited by SueK24 : 04-28-2008 at 01:34 PM. Reason: color
SueK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #17

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowingair View Post
I'll have to check into the zone. Is it much different than South Beach?
Hi,

Yes. The following is the definition of the Zone, in a nutshell, taken from their website: "The Zone is a simple, well-balanced, clinically proven anti-inflammatory lifestyle that can help you lose excess weight and keep it off forever, fight the effects of aging, reduce the risk of chronic disorders and improve physical and mental performance."

With the Zone diet and lifestyle, you focus on controlling hormones, mainly insulin, and lowering inflammation throughout the body. You achieve these two things with the food and lifestyle choices you make. The weight loss happens automatically, but the focus is not on counting calories, nor on deprivation. It's very different from the typical notion of a weight loss "diet". There's no need to count calories because when you follow the guidelines for the Zone, your meals and snacks are inherently low calorie. It's easy to do, and the energy and well being you feel with it are amazing. My family's been practicing the Zone diet and lifestyle for over 13 years. I can't imagine ever going back to the way I used to eat. Putting together Zone balanced meals is so second nature to me now, I don't even know how I'd go back! You really owe it to yourself to check it out.

The official website for the Zone: zonediet.com

Last edited by SueK24 : 04-30-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #18

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

wow I will have to get some of those supplements!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

If you do a search on "the Zone Diet" (with the "") in General Diet Plans, looking for posts, you will find quite a few entries although most of them are a couple of years old.

Most of the Chickies around here felt it was fairly similar to South Beach, but more difficult to understand for the newcomer and harder to follow over the long term. I personally do think the 40/30/30 ratio is a good one and try to achieve close to that myself. However, Dr Sears is quite strict that those proportions of carbs/fats/proteins be balanced in all meals and snacks and that is rather difficult to achieve (probably not for you, Sue, because you are so used to it. ) Overall, the diet supplies in the range of only 800 to 1200 calories a day and some experts think it is a little low in calcium.

You can, and should, of course, also search the web for information on pretty well any diet plan out there that you may be thinking of trying. I feel the following site does a fairly decent job of reviewing the pros and cons of many diet plans including the Zone Diet and South Beach . . . http://www.dieting-review.com

Last edited by meowee : 04-28-2008 at 06:23 PM.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #20

S/C/G: 225/223/150

Height: 5'5''

Hi guys, I've been taking glucosimine for years too! I agree that they make a great a difference. I take a number of other vitamin supplements, too. I'm hoping losing the weight will make me close to pain free. I also find that the elliptical machine helps my arthritis. There's no pressure on my knees and doing it most days has already made a world of difference. I can't get much of a work out when I just walk, because that hurts my knees. Lori

flowingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #21

Hi meowee!

Actually, no adult would consume less than between 1100 to 1200 calories daily with the Zone diet. The amount of calcium one would get daily would depend upon their personal food choices. The Zone diet does not restrict calcium rich foods. The balance recommended for the Zone diet is pretty easy to achieve. You simply place low fat protein the size and thickness of the palm of you hand on the plate, fill the rest of the plate with veggies and fruit, and then add a dash of heart healthy fat (olive oil, almonds, etc). It's that easy! That's the way I lost my 100 pounds!

Last edited by SueK24 : 04-30-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #22

I am new to this forum and very glad I found it. I live in constant pain due to osteo arthritis, degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia and a host of other problems probably all aggravated by 44 years of weight struggles. I am having roux en y gastric bypass surgery 5/13/08 if the sonogram of my breast (5/1/08) is OK. I really had to jump through a lot of medical hoops to get to this point. I am so ready to continue this journey.
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #23
Onward and Downward

ENGEL . . . glad you found us. Hope everything works out with the sonogram and with the bypass surgery.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #24

Engel, Good Luck to you. You'll have to let us know how everything works out for you. I know my elliptical machine is also helping me stay on target and build up muscle to help my arthritis. Lori

Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
AndreainAZ

Unhappy I Am In the Same Boat

I have the same deal with the arthritis and was just denied more short them disablility insurance through my company. Today is my first day on this site and I am feeling hope, so far have had a good eating day and tomorrow will go to CURVES. Good luck to all of us
ABTucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #26

Hi Andrea, Welcome to this site. It's a great place. Sometimes I really have to push myself to exercise, but it always seems to help my arthritis. I need to get back on my elliptical machine. Good luck on your journey. Lori

Last edited by flowingair : 05-12-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #27

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

good luck to us all!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #28

S/C/G: 194/191/130

Height: 5' 2"

Am new to the forum. Arthritis bad enuff - that am investigating hip replacement in winter. Have 60 lbs to lose. Want to get really serious about weight loss!! Am on a mediterranean type diet - lots of veggies (with beans or tofu) - and oilve oil and balsamic vinegar. (I eat this cold or luke warm - tastes great!). Take fish oil too. Glucosamine helped for 8 years - then pain set in again. Can no longer cut my own toenails. I will try to increase my exercise (have the Arthritis Association exercise DVD). Thank goodness for my dog! Do walk him 2x day - 1/2 mile or more each walk.
I always ate good for you food - just too much!
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #29
Onward and Downward

to the group OFFTHEWALL and also. Getting the weight off will definitely help, but it is not the entire answer unfortunately. Mine is worst in my knees and without glucosamine I don't think I'd walk at all.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #30

Default Thank you

Hi everyone,

I am a 52 year old single parent who needs to lose 75-95 pounds and who suffers from osteoarthritis (several surgeries on my foot; "bad" knees, etc.). I would really like to learn more about the anti-inflammatory way of eating. I am nearly a vegetarian though. My only regular non-veggie source of protein is salmon or sardines. Very occasionally I eat meat of some sort. I'm wondering - can that type of eating work with the zone diet? I.e. is there a place for whole grains like kashi, oatmeal, brown and wild rice, etc.?

I am just beginning to add regular meditation to my lifestyle too. Anyone else out there interested in that?

Also, of the people who have lost 75-95 pounds, how did you proactively deal with the possibility of excess loose skin?

Thanks for any/all help. I don't have lots of computer time but would love to find one person who's looking for a sort of weight loss/spiritually healthy lifestyle penpal.

Rainbowstar
rainbowstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.