Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Active Folks Over 50 -- #10

Good morning!

Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, lively discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
------------------

Glad to see you joining us, KC.

CountingDown, it sounds like you had a great time away and are now glad to get back. Those are the best kind of trips.

Where is Spinymouse these days?

Hello to all the rest of you as well!

Jay
Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning JAY . . .

We are basking in but again for another single day (another storm tomorrow ). I'm just waiting for the bathroom to warm up enough to get in the shower and then I'll be going out to play.

Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking day . . .

Last edited by meowee; 03-19-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi all - hope you are having a POP day! I am getting back on track after Chicago. I can't wait for spring. It is just ugly outside. And I am tired of working out indoors. I wanna walk outside!
Enough ranting - I am thrilled that I have been able to keep up with an exercise routine all winter. Certainly a new skill for me
Old 03-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Where is everybody? Is it spring in the north yet? I hope you folks thaw out soon...

I don't have much fun planned into my next few days--too much to do.

See ya!
Jay
Old 03-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #5  
Onward and Downward

Well . . . if Freezing Rain translates to SPRING . . . then I guess we've got it up here. The whole weekend is supposed to alternate between snow, ice, rain -- with, maybe, a little sun showing up by Monday. That silly old bunny had better be wearing his raincoat, his scarf and togue, and his Yaktrax.

Not much 'out and abouting' for me today that's for sure -- guess I'll hop on the Gazelle and follow it with some Wii Bowling.

Sorry you have to work, JAY . . . . . . try to get a little moving and shaking into the day . . .

Later everybody . . .
Old 03-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #6  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi Pals,
I've been inactive at everything this week, not just on this forum. Been in a real funk. But I wanted to say HI to the new people and get a post on the new page 10 thread.

My peeve of the day/week/indefinite amount of time lately is the concept of "guilt" associated with food. I subscribe to a newsletter that is diet related and 90% of it is info I don't find useful but every once in a while I find something worth checking into. But it seems that almost every day they use the adjective "guilt-free" to describe some kind of low calorie substitution for something and it is getting on my nerves. It implies that the other choices are supposed to induce guilt. Now I may feel guilty about some things, like if I offend someone, hurt their feelings, or if I screw up at work, but GUILT over eating spaghetti or something? Come on, isn't that just kind of absurdly blowing it out of proportion?? Oh well.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'll check back in later today with other stuff -- contemplating some activity here, not in a very physical sense but in a songwriting sense. More on that in a bit.

jo
Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Spiny! Sounds intriguing--the song writing activity. Hope you're feeling better. Missed you on here!

One of my tax clients got scammed a couple months ago--a variation on the "Nigerian scam." He had offered a room for rent in his house. Someone showed up and wanted to rent, but all he had were money orders. Well, you guessed it. He asked my client to essentially cash the money orders for him by depositing them in his bank account. He told my client that he could keep the first/last month's rent etc. plus a service fee out of the proceeds. So, my client went ahead. And then... the guy disappeared; and then the money orders were found to be counterfeit. So, my client is out quite a bit of money on this. We'll claim some of the loss on his 2008 return--but still.

See ya later!
Jay
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #8  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning, gang . . .

Just a little snow for today (and that's a lot better than yesterday's ice). Other than that, nothing new around here -- think it will be another indoor day with Gadzella and Wii Bowling for me.

Keep things moving and shaking, gang . . .
Old 03-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #9  

HI all!
Spiny - I'm in total agreement with you. Life is too short to feel actual guilt over food! Some choices are better than others - but guilt inducing?

I'm in a stall this week with the weight loss. I'm sure it is related to the abundance of rich and wonderful foods consumed during the Chicago trip. Do I regret those choices? Not for a second. So it takes a week or two longer to reach goal? A year from now it won't matter one bit how long it took me to get these final lbs. off my body.

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend! Lots of church activities for me - finishing the PowerPoint for tonight's services.

I got my Zumba videos today, so I'm hoping to give them a try this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

Definitely agree that food should by "guiltless" . . . I know a lot of people swear by very strict 'diets' (another word I do not like); and there is nothing wrong with that strictness as long as it is viewed as just a kick-start kind of thing.

As so many of the Chickies in the Maintenance Forum will tell you, losing the excess weight is just the beginning. Unless you want to yo-yo for ever, you have to come to grips with making a permanent change that is sustainable for the rest of your life. Thinking of some foods as "bad" or "guilt-filled" or "off-limits" just perpetuates the feeling that a "diet" is something you do for a specified period of time. Once that period of time is over you can return to whatever you were eating in the past . . . now that is the 'recipe' for almost guaranteed failure . . . at least IMHO.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

You know... thinking about Spinymouse's "guilt free" questions... Maybe we should come up with foods where you feel guilty BEFORE you eat them. What do you think? We could call it Guilty Before Proven Innocent Foods. Like, you see a piece of GBPI cake, and you are so overwhelmed with guilt about it that you just CAN'T eat it! You see these GBPI doughnuts and are SO ASHAMED! You cry with remorse when you pass by the GBPI chocolate...

I tell ya, I'm gonna be rich!

Jay
Old 03-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #12  

Jay - LOL - I love the idea!
GBPI - the only things that really trigger this emotion for me are fried foods. A supersize French fry from McDonalds probably tops the list. Chocolate, wine, nuts, dessert - no guilt for these foods. I AM learning - all things in moderation is my mantra
Old 03-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #13  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . . , it's Saturday -- although for those of us who are retired, I guess you could say that everyday is Saturday.

Big 'nothing exciting' for today in either the weather forecast or the personal activity plans -- good news on the weather side; boring on the personal side -- guess I may go out and wander a couple of stores a little later, but that's all. Do plan to visit with Gadzella and Wii, though.

Now on the GBPI food-front -- I like the "all things in moderation" mantra, too . . . unfortunately I'm just not very good at it. Chocolate, Ice Cream, and Peanut Butter are definitely on my list of things I cannot be trusted to have in the house. My best bet for portion control with any of them is an occasional restaurant indulgence. I am okay with nuts. My biggest 'accomplishment' with 'trigger foods' is that I no longer have even the slightest craving for french fries. The smell can still drive me to , but then I remind myself that they always smell much, much better than they taste (at least for me).

Hope you all have great moving and shaking plans for the day . . . see you later, gang . . .

Last edited by meowee; 03-22-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #14  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

We could market our line of GBPI foods, and yes, Jay, we could become rich because we could make them all be really cheaply made and nasty-tasting, because if no one was going to eat them anyway, since they induce too much guilt to make anyone swallow any of them, they would never have to actually taste good. They could just sit there and people would sit 10 feet away from them (the length of the proverbial avoidance pole) and avoid them. People could host entire GBPI parties, and no one would eat a thing! We'd have to expand this into the beverage realm as well, with GBPI sodas, beers, and cocktail mixes. And no one drinks anything!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #15  
Onward and Downward

. . . I read "somewhere" (but cannot remember) about the difference between a 'naturally' skinny person and a 'wannabe' . . . it's backwards from what you might expect . . .

The 'wannabe' says, "I will not waste my calories on anything that doesn't taste absolutely terrific." The 'natural' says, "Food doesn't have to taste good as long as it's nourishing".

think about it.
Closed Thread