Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #46  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Thanks!
I don't know that it's the same time this year, but it just doesn't happen very often, but I like the idea of getting my system revved up. I've been hibernating too long! I think it's time for some KICKBOXING.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #47  
breakfast rebel

Jay,
Thanks, yes I agree that the body fat % is the most important. I did some googling and found this link to a correlation equation
http://www.halls.md/bmi/fat.htm
I didn't realize that there is supposed to be this much of a difference between the values. So a little more knowledgeable now, but just as fat....
Need to do some kicking and punching. Strange for a pacifist like me.
And maybe I'll suggest to the fitness center that they enclose the cardio room with a cagelike perimeter and put sawdust on the floor.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #48  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Good idea, the sawdust etc. Could also put water bottle holders on each machine, so you could put the bottle in upside down and slurp from the little drip spout........

Jay
Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #49  
breakfast rebel

excellent! and the pedals or treadmill etc could activate the wheel around each machine to make it go around. do we have any cartoonists in the group?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Well, I WISH I were a cartoonist. The mental images your ideas conjure up are pretty funny. I especially like the water bottles on the machines.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #51  
Day at a Time

S/C/G: 242/222/140

Default Anger

I can only say I hear you on the anger issue. I turned on Dr Phil as he had a weight loss thing going on on Tuesday. A lovely lady stuggling with her weight looking for help. But when she said she had his book but had not read it he sent her back a "fat dig". I was appalled. Turned the show off.
I hope you are feeling more peaceful by now. I just got a meditation CD on aligning your chakras. Should be great as soon as I make some time to listen to it.

Hope everyone has a better day tomorrow.

Judi
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #52  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I think its time you buy that TV Jo.....something to scream at maybe...wink
Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 AM   #53  
breakfast rebel

NO! Gary, No, No, No!
No TV!!!!! One vice I do not need or want - I negatively/inversely/retrogradedly want it. I'd rather be taunted mercilessly by defective robots in front of childhood enemies.
TV.
Hrmpph.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #54  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey!

Spiny, I looked at that formula linking BMI and body fat %--it's a derived formula. I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

The important thing with all these measures is change over time. So, I've gone from 44% body fat to 33% body fat (current). I believe this result is due to exercising while losing.

hijude, I generally think Dr. Phil is a jerk.

Gary

Gail How's it going? Done any shoe shopping yet?

CountingDown, are you back yet?

Now about the TV thing. I used to be in your camp, Spinymouse. But I've since gone over to the "dark side"...

Jay

P.S. Here's a short video that was going around awhile back. I think you'll find it interesting...

http://bonehead.oddballs.com/NobodyElse.html

Last edited by JayEll; 01-04-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #55  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Hi . . .

Finally home again . . . although the visit to Ontario and the time with all the relatives was great . . . I am thrilled to be home. Now to get back to the good eating and good moving routines.

The winning gift this year was the WII given to the middle nephew (he's 27) by his older and younger brothers . . . I want one, I want one. Great fun and it actually gets even we older couch-potato-types up and moving. Did I mention that I want one? Too bad they are as scarce as hen's teeth right now; but I am looking.

Not much else new -- Khat Khids are all fine -- although they did break a few things while I was gone; nothing that cannot be replaced. Guess they got a little bored. Trip home from the airport was hideous in blizzard conditionsa and took a good three hours (usually under 1.5). Luggage didn't make it until the following day. Some idiot snagged it at Halifax airport. Think I'm going to paint something unusual all over my bags to make them more distinctive since people don't seem to like to bother reading the name tags.

Hope everybody is having a great 2008 so far . . . see you later . . .
Old 01-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #56  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

meowee! We missed you! Glad to see you back.

Jay
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #57  
breakfast rebel

What's a WII?

Jay, that is a great video. I'm glad it is part of a workshop or instruction for girls. At one place I used to work, I participated in a program for "girls in science" which was designed to give girls age 12-14 some other role models than the glamour-pop-star heroines they tend to have; and we did science workshops that they could participate in. The idea was based on the fact that although in elementary school girls and boys have equal interest and aptitude in math and science, something happens around puberty which makes girls think their mission is to be pretty, and "hot." Or is it "cool." I guess if you were both "cool" and "hot" that would be ideal, but then that would make you lukewarm. Hmm. Yes, lukewarm. Anyway we were out doing our thing to keep the math and science fires burning.
Funny I never got bit by that glamour bug when I was an adolescent. If anything I went out of may way to rebel against it and to look The Wrong Way. I remember asking my dad, who had never cut a head of hair in his life, to chop off my hair with the old household scissors from the tool drawer. That and wearing uncool polyester pants that were "too short" but too short for what I'll never know. Anyway, a very good video. We can no longer say "the camera doesn't lie," can we?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:41 PM   #58  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Sorry . . . I think it is actually Wii (I typed it wrong) . . . anyway Wii is the latest Nintendo game system that connects to your TV. It is very, very interactive and is actually a few bucks cheaper than some of the earlier systems. It has been the 'Cabbage Patch Doll' and the 'Tickle Me Elmo' (remember the years' that everybody had to have those toys?) craze for the 2007 Christmas Gift season.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #59  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm baaack! It was a crazy day - due to weather back east and mechanical issues, our flight was delayed over two hours which means that we missed our connection. Delta had already reserved seats on the last flight out of the day, which took off 15 minutes after we landed in Cinncinati. So we did the "sprint through the airport" routine and made it with about 2 minutes to spare. I'm thankful to all of my 3FC friends that have encouraged me over the last 6 months. I couldn't have made it on time if I hadn't been doing cardio all these months and was still carrying that 50 extra lbs. Thus a HUGE NSV for me.

In Grand Rapids our car was covered in snow and ice - welcome home to Michigan We finally made it back home in the wee hours of the morning. Thankfully, our bodies were still on California time, so the drive wasn't too bad. Now lots of mail, laundry and such to catch up on - ugh.

Good discussion while I was gone. Jay - I liked the video. Dove is doing a nice job with their Campaign for Real Beauty, I think.

Spiny - we have a similar program in our school to interest girls in science and math. I have worked with the technology portions of it. It has always been a passion of mine. I was a science and math nerd in HS, when nerd was NOT something most girls wanted to be. I never fit in great with my group of friends, I was always a bit of an "odd duck". So was DH which is probably why we hooked up with each other. I wish I was a cartoonist - I would definitely draw that image - I'm giggling just thinking about it!

Linda - glad you made it back safe and sound, and that the kitties are doing ok. Our "beasts" were a bit rowdy while we were gone too. But they are soooo snuggly today! We always tag our luggage with weird stuff so that it stands out. DH almost lost his bag the way you did once. Glad you got it back, even though it was late

hijude - I'm not much of a Dr. Phil fan. Since I don't hardly ever watch TV, I haven't seen much of him - but what little I have seen didn't impress me. Anecdotally, a neighbor across the street applied to be on his show and was accepted. She had lost a huge amount of weight through WLS. She thought they were coming to interview her about how WLS had changed her life for the better. She was so excited. They filmed the background stuff here in MI and then flew her and her husband to CA for the show. They took her out partying (without DH). She found out when they taped the episode that the real topic of the day was how WLS can affect your significant other. They showed clips of her flirting in the bar with all of the Dr. Phil staff members, and then asked her DH how he felt about it. She was really upset because she felt she had been misled. I never saw the episode, and she wasn't a person that I spent any time with, but - at least from her perspective, it sounded like an underhanded way to try to get ratings.

Well, I better get to that laundry! Have a great day all!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #60  
weight watching

Hi! I'm just starting my second week and actually WALKED today -- just a couple of blocks between several errands, but it was good to get outdoors and MOVE

I started WW online, because I couldn't face going to a meeting and signing up and failing again But I had a very good first week, and am still motivated. So I switched to the monthly plan and will go to a WW meeting tomorrow.

I had a small NSV -- the errands were very frustrating. The usual -- unhelpful clerks, crowds, lines, waiting in one place forever only to be told to go wait in another. My usual pattern was the "I need a reward" or "I'm mad so I'm going to eat cake" or something along those lines (yes, I am over 6). This time I just growled, kicked some pebbles and came home.
Closed Thread