Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there! Lots of chores for me today--and I think that counts as physical activity, doesn't it? Although, I have to admit that I've read you're not supposed to count the things you do anyway as being "exercise."

Is it skiing season yet?

Jay
Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 PM   #17  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

It is definitely ski season here in Michigan. The resorts are all open. The freezing rain put a crust on the snow however, so the cross-country trails are awful. Here's hoping for a nice fluffy snow soon!

Finished my Christmas cards and some more shopping today. Slowly getting things crossed off my list. I'm really looking forward to going to California in 3 weeks. It will be fun to have a Christmas without snow for the first time in 50 years - LOL
Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #18  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Where in California ????
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Snow shoveling counts! 10 inches counts!

Shoveling snow counts as exercise....and the steps I took through the woods over to the neighbors and back to check on her count DOUBLE, as I had to lift my foot for each step twice as high as normal. So, over 11,000 steps and lots of wt. lifting.....it counts. Gonna be a lonnngggg winter!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #20  
breakfast rebel

Shoveling snow -- I remember that! Definitely counts as weight lifting with a purpose.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #21  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I gained a lot of weight while shoveling snow every winter, so I guess it's no sure cure, eh?

Jay
Old 12-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #22  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Been running around almost all day catching up on errands -- had to take advantage of this little lull between snow storms.

Hope everybody has a great evening . . . see you later.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #23  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

The kids live in Oakland. We will be traveling around the bay area while we are there.
We got more snow today and blizzard conditions with the 40 mph winds. I'm hoping it calms down a bit tonight.

I agree Jay - I have shoveled a lot over the years, and although it is good exercise - it isn't enough if you don't curtail the eating too. I actually enjoy shoveling if it isn't too deep or heavy. I usually listen to a book with my mp3 player or crank up the tunes - I enjoy the fresh air and sense of actually accomplishing something while I am getting my workout - LOL
Old 12-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #24  
Onward and Downward

Hi everybody . . .

Hope you are having better weather than we are -- it is major ugly outside right now. Hey, hopefully I'll get my Christmas wrapping done while it's so nice and quiet.

See you later . . .
Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #25  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Yesterday I went for a longer walk--it was over 2 miles. So Gail, I'm going to catch up with you yet! It was nice--I went through a different housing development that I've only driven through before. Hardly anyone was around--I guess folks were at work or school.

Today I didn't get my walk--but I did go to the community fitness center and use the treadmill and some of the free weights and such.

It's chilly here tonight! Yes, it does get chilly sometimes in Fla. Not like you northern people would consider chilly, of course.

Jay
Old 12-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Another 6 inches!

Yes, another 6 inches. Not off my waist, just on the ground......more shoveling.

It is definitely going to be a long winter.......the thing is, I enjoy walking for the joy of it, can do my treadmill with good music and a good bb game on TV to really divert me....or better yet, good phone conversation with my pal Shirley, but I hate wt. lifting.......hate it.....know I need it.......know why.....I get that....but I hate it. I agree with CountingDown......if you connect wt. bearing exercise with "mission accomplished" it is WAY better.....so, gardening and moving dirt is GREAT JOY and GREAT REWARD, but snow shoveling will have to do for now.......just me..just my deal...more snow on the forecast for Thurs. and Sat. so my every other day wt. lifting should be a pretty sure thing for now.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #27  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

maryblu, why do you hate weight lifting? Are you trying to lift too heavy? Just curious, because I like my hand weights workouts. They are the easy part of my exercise, compared to some of the aerobic machines.

I used to enjoy shoveling snow... early in the winter. By March, not so much! At the same time, there were also winters (this was in western Mass.) when I didn't think I'd make it through. Like the winter when the roof started leaking, and it was just storm after storm, and the only way to keep the roof from leaking was to get up on a ladder and chip the ice off the roof edge to keep water from backing up under the shingles. A couple of times this had to be done in a blizzard at midnight. I think that was when I decided I'd had enough of winter...

Jay
Old 12-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #28  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

I'm with you JAY . . . prefer a little weight work to aerobics any day . . . . . . to each her own, I guess.

We are supposed to be having a litte respite from snow today -- and boy do we need it. This is my bi-weekly garbage day and unless my plow guy shows up pretty early, I'll be hanging on to it for another two weeks because there is no way I'll get anything to the road right now.

My diabetic cat, Jazz, appears to have pulled another miracle out of his stash of extra lives. He had a couple of very nasty seizures last night and was still quite 'out of it' when I went to bed last night; poor little guy. Honestly didn't expect him to greet me this morning, but he is pretty much back to his normal self again. Not moving around too quickly, but eating and drinking and steady on his paws.

Nothing else going on around here . . . hope to finish up my Christmas wrapping and (if I can get the car out) make a post office trip later on this afternoon.

Have a great moving and shaking day, everybody . . .
Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #29  
Onward and Downward

Afraid I was a little premature with declaring Jazz a miracle kitty. He had another massive seizure/stroke this morning and has gone to that place where nothing hurts anymore.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #30  
breakfast rebel

Aw,
So sorry to hear about poor lil Jazz. I'm sure he was a lucky kitty to have had your care and companionship.
Sending you comforting thoughts.
jo
Closed Thread