Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Yes, I was thinking that's quite a bit of tax, too. Oh well. The price you pay for living in a civilized country.

I have a pedometer. I followed the directions for how to set it up etc. I don't know if it is working correctly, but today it said I had walked 5100 steps, 4,600 of those steps were aerobic steps. This was on my walk this morning (yay me!). I don't know how it differentiates between aerobic and non-aerobic steps. The instructions don't say anything about that. In fact the directions don't say very much. It also told me that I burned 127 calories. I think that is about 15 animal crackers worth of calories.. Anyway, my concern is that since I started walking my three times around curcuit, I have really been hungry. I am already eating too much to lose weight very fast - so I am not sure how to cope with this.

I think it would be reasonable for me to do 5000 aerobic steps on my walk, so that is what I am going to shoot for Now, I have read that one "should" walk 10,000 steps every day to be healthy. Anyone else read that? It sounds like a lot to me.

As far as eating too much to lose weight goes, I am not eating anything that isn't healthy, but I guess just a bit too much. I am comfortable most of the time - that is not feeling too hungry or deprived.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #47  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Wearing a pedometer

Hi gail,

I've been wearing a pedometer for a year and 9 months now. It works great to keep me honest about doing my distance.

It's an Omron HJ-105 that clips on my belt. From my memory, aerobic steps are steps taken at xxx/minute. (I'll look that up and come back and edit this sentence.) When I'm walking at 4 miles/hour, that's aerobic. When I'm wandering about the house, that isn't.

The # of calories burned is proportional to the weight you entered when you set it up. The distance, of course, is simply a multiple of the stride you entered. I calibrated mine when I started; when clipping along, my stride is 3'0". I ignore the calories and distance, but I plot the daily steps in excel. It reminds me when I have to catch up because of a slow day.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #48  

Hey, that's the same brand I have. I don't remember entering my weight - I got it quite a while ago. I am at work now and don't have it with me, but I will check the model # when I get home. I got discouraged about using it because I tried walking and counting my steps myself, and the pedometer seemed to only count about 1/4 -1/3 of my steps. I decided yesterday to just try it just because it is fun to see the results.

You have really done well! Congratulations on the maintenance. You have a heck of a lot longer stride than I do - I am a munchkin!

Last edited by gailr42; 10-03-2007 at 07:04 PM. Reason: To add something
Old 10-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #49  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up

munchkin

Mine has an adjustment to make it count faster or slower. I have to make sure that the count is reasonable after a walk because the adjusting slider often slips when I drop it. I have to keep mine on the slowest count to keep it from crediting me too many steps.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #50  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

fHello....I think I can, I think I can, I think I can

Hopefully I'm over whatever knocked me out (much too literally), and am looking forward to a good long walk tomorrow morning.

I've heard the 10,000 steps bit. Seems that it was figured out that it amounted to about 3 miles.

Anyone tried the vibrating machines....they supposedely are supposed to tighten up the muscles, and some people do exercise using them. I think they are also supposed to help with balance.
Margaret
Old 10-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #51  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

JayEll,
you asked about martial artists. I am definitely not one but several years ago I took a class in Aikido. I had never done anything like that before and I was very impressed, especially in the principles/conceptual ideals of it. I think I may try it again. I recommend it.
jo
Old 10-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #52  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I need to get a good pedometer. I have one that came in a cereal box. It works "kind of," but it lacks any sophisticated features.

moxiesd, Glad you're up and about now! I haven't heard about vibrating machines doing much of anything...

Spinymouse, I did aikido for some time, before I got too heavy to take the falls. I loved it. I'd like to get back to it, but not sure how that would be. I guess I could find out!

Jay
Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #53  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Hi . . .

I'm here . . . I'm exhausted . . . My Godzella the Gazelle is now lying in pieces on the livingroom floor . . . but at least I've had about 8 hours of exercise rearranging furniture and cleaning at the same time (of course) trying to find a place to put it. Maybe tomorrow, I'll actually get it together.

I have to agree with Jay in that I've always heard those good old vibrating machines mostly just make you itchy . . . unless you are talking about some new kind of thing that neither of us have ever seen? More details? I love finding out about new stuff.

Me . . . martial arts . . . afraid not.

My pedometre is of the 'cereal-box' type, too -- even though I did actually buy it.

Later gang . . .

Last edited by meowee; 10-04-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #54  
Onward and Downward

Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #55  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Good morning!

Meowee, I hear you're still putting together your Gazelle machine... Good luck!

I went to the fitness center yesterday--did some hand weights work as well as the exercise bike.

What are folks up to this weekend?

Also, can anyone tell me what the deal is with satellite TV? This is the first time I've had it, and it's sooo confusing. I have about five or six different ports on the back of the TV, and yet it seems like the sound has a problem... I'm using the "HDMI connector." Of course, the other part of this situation is that one never knows whether there's a transmission problem from on high...

Jay
Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #56  

I am the one who does that stuff in our household, and I always have problems getting it right. Sometimes there are instructions with the TV that tell you how to hook up to the various possibilities. I know there is more than one way to hook up the sound, depending on what is on the back of the TV and a few other variables. To me, reading the stuff that comes with the satellite is like reading a foreign language. We have directv, and I don't believe it has ever malfunctioned in the almost four years we have had it. That doesn't mean yours is working right, though. Good Luck! You could call the company and wait on their help line for a few hours.....Also, it seems to me like the installers should have hooked all that up for you or at least told you how to do it.

Last edited by gailr42; 10-05-2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: remove spaces that the cat put in
Old 10-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #57  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Thanks, gail! They did hook it up, but my TV is Vizio and it's not in the list when you go to program the remote. But I found out from Vizio tech support which model to choose.

The problem is that on one channel, the sound was going from really really soft (during speech) to really really loud (during any music). Maybe it was just a one-time tranmission problem, though.

You just never know! It isn't even a "TV" anymore--it's like a "multimedia experiential device" or somesuch.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 10-05-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 237/238/165

Height: 5 feet 7

Hi. I've been away from the site for a few weeks. I like this thread. I am a very active 51 year old. I work full time as a manager. I also am a youth choir director/musician. This past week, I've also become a parent consultant for my dd's high school. With my schedule, it's only a year and I tend to attend school functions and PTA anyway....

To lose weight, I've joined WWs. I seem to do everything I can to be off program---especially these past 2 weeks!!!

I love to read. Like someone else on the thread, I absolutely love mysteries.

I've got to read a few more posts to catch up!!!

TTFN,

Trish
Old 10-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #59  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey Piano51,

WW is a good program--I hope it works for you!

Well I am bummed out today. Turns out the sound to my TV isn't working right on the highest HD channels, that is, the "1080i" channels. It works better on the lower HD channels ("480p" etc.). DirecTV doesn't know why--they are trying to find out. I can't imagine I'm the only customer with this Vizio TV.

Then the A/C stopped working yesterday around 4 pm. (I live in Fla.)

Soooo... I managed not to EAT because of it! Today will be busy, though.

Gailr42, I didn't respond to an earlier post you made--yes, you will feel hungrier when you are doing your walks. I've found it sometimes helps to eat something about 30 minutes before your walk--especially something with protein. But mostly, just tough it out until the next scheduled meal or snack time. Drink some water after the walk.

Hope everyone is having a better start to the weekend!

Jay
Old 10-06-2007, 08:58 AM   #60  
Onward and Downward

Hello . . .

Toys are together . . . I'm exhausted and I ache a big bunch . . . This is the long Thanksgiving Weekend for Canada so hopefully I'll be fine and dandy again after some nice rest.

to the thread TRISH.

Hope that TV problem gets fixed soon, JAY.

Have a great moving and shaking day, everybody . . .
Closed Thread