Allspice 1 teaspoon 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon cloves
Arrowroot starch 1 teaspoon 1 tablespoon flour, OR 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Baking mix 1 cup 1 cup pancake mix OR 1 cup Easy Biscuit Mixture
Baking powder 1 teaspoon 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar OR 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 1/2 cup buttermilk (decrease liquid in recipe by 1/2 cup)
Beer 1 cup 1 cup nonalcoholic beer OR 1 cup chicken broth
Brandy 1/4 cup 1 teaspoon imitation brandy extract plus enough water to make 1/4 cup
Bread crumbs 1 cup 1 cup cracker crumbs OR 1 cup matzo meal OR 1 cup ground oats
Broth: beef or chicken 1 cup 1 bouillon cube plus 1 cup boiling water OR 1 tablespoon soy sauce plus enough water to make 1 cup OR 1 cup vegetable broth
Brown sugar 1 cup, packed 1 cup white sugar plus 1/4 cup molasses and decrease the liquid in recipe by 1/4 cup OR 1 cup white sugar OR 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
Butter (salted) 1 cup 1 cup margarine OR 1 cup shortening plus 1/2 teaspoon salt OR 7/8 cup vegetable oil plus 1/2 teaspoon salt OR 7/8 cup lard plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
Butter (unsalted) 1 cup 1 cup shortening OR 7/8 cup vegetable oil OR 7/8 cup lard
Buttermilk 1 cup 1 cup yogurt OR 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup
Cheddar cheese 1 cup shredded 1 cup shredded Colby cheddar OR 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Chervil 1 tablespoon chopped fresh 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Chicken base 1 tablespoon 1 C. canned /homemade chicken broth or stock. Reduce liquid in recipe by 1 cup
Chocolate(semisweet) 1 ounce 1 (1-ounce) square of unsweetened chocolate plus 4 teaspoons sugar OR 1 ounce semisweet chocolate chips plus 1 teaspoon shortening
Chocolate (unsweetened) 1 oz. 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa plus 1 tablespoon shortening or oil
Cocoa 1/4 cup 1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
Corn syrup 1 cup 1 1/4 cup white sugar plus 1/3 cup water OR 1 cup honey OR 1 cup light treacle syrup
Cottage cheese 1 cup 1 cup farmer's cheese OR 1 cup ricotta cheese
Cracker crumbs 1 cup 1 cup bread crumbs OR 1 cup matzo meal OR 1 cup ground oats
Cream (half and half) 1 cup 7/8 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon butter
Cream (heavy) 1 cup 1 cup evaporated milk OR 3/4 cup milk plus 1/3 cup butter
Cream (light) 1 cup 1 cup evaporated milk OR 3/4 cup milk plus 3 tablespoons butter
Cream (whipped) 1 cup 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
Cream cheese 1 cup 1 C. pureed cottage cheese OR 1 C plain yogurt, strained overnight in a cheesecloth
Cream of tartar 1 teaspoon 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar
Crème fraiche 1 cup Combine 1 cup of heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt. Let stand for 6 hours at room temperature
Egg 1 whole (3 tablespoons or 1.7 oz) 2 1/2 tablespoons of powdered egg substitute plus 2 1/2 tablespoons water OR 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute OR 1/4 cup silken tofu pureed OR 3 tablespoons mayonnaise OR half a banana mashed with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder OR 1 tablespoon powdered flax seed soaked in 3 tablespoons water
Evaporated milk 1 cup 1 cup light cream
Farmer's cheese 8 ounces 8 ounces dry cottage cheese OR 8 ounces creamed cottage cheese, drained
Fats for baking 1 cup 1 cup applesauce OR 1 cup fruit puree
Flour--Bread 1 cup 1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon wheat gluten
Flour--Cake 1 cup 1 cup all-purpose flour minus 2 tablespoons
Flour--Self-Rising 1 cup 7/8 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Garlic 1 clove 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder OR 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
Gelatin 1 tablespoon, granulated 2 teaspoons agar agar
Ginger--dry 1 teaspoon 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
Ginger--fresh 1 teaspoon, minced 1/2 teaspoon ground dried ginger
Green onion 1/2 cup , 1/2 cup chopped onion, OR 1/2 cup chopped leek OR 1/2 cup chopped shallots
Hazelnuts 1 cup whole 1 cup macadamia nuts OR 1 cup almonds
Herbs--fresh 1 tablespoon chopped fresh 1 teaspoon (chopped or whole leaf) dried herbs
Herring 8 ounces 8 ounces of sardines
Honey 1 cup 1 1/4 cup white sugar plus 1/3 cup water OR 1 cup corn syrup OR 1 cup light treacle syrup
Hot pepper sauce 1 teaspoon 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper plus 1 teaspoon vinegar
Ketchup 1 cup 1 cup tomato sauce plus 1 teaspoon vinegar plus 1 tablespoon sugar
Lard 1 cup 1 cup shortening OR 7/8 cup vegetable oil OR 1 cup butter
Lemon grass 2 fresh stalks 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Lemon juice 1 teaspoon 1/2 teaspoon vinegar OR 1 teaspoon white wine OR 1 teaspoon lime juice
Lemon zest 1 teaspoon 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract OR 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Lime juice 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon vinegar OR 1 teaspoon white wine OR 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Lime zest 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Macadamia nuts 1 cup 1 cup almonds OR 1 cup hazelnuts
Mace 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Margarine 1 cup 1 cup shortening plus 1/2 teaspoon salt OR 1 cup butter OR 7/8 cup vegetable oil plus 1/2 teaspoon salt OR 7/8 cup lard plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
Mayonnaise 1 cup 1 cup sour cream OR 1 cup plain yogurt
Milk--whole 1 cup 1 cup soy milk OR 1 cup rice milk OR 1 cup water or juice OR 1/4 cup dry milk powder plus 1 cup water OR 2/3 cup evaporated milk plus 1/3 cup water
Mint--fresh 1/4 cup chopped 1 tablespoon dried mint leaves
Molasses 1 cup Mix 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Mustard--prepared 1 tablespoon Mix together 1 tablespoon dried mustard, 1 teaspoon water, 1 teaspoon vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar
Onion 1 cup, 1 cup chopped green onions OR 1 cup chopped shallots OR 1 cup chopped leeks OR 1/4 cup dried minced onion OR 1/4 cup onion powder
Orange juice 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon other citrus juice
Orange zest 1 tablespoon 1/2 teaspoon orange extract OR 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Parmesan cheese 1/2 cup, grated 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese OR 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
Parsley 1 tablespoon chopped fresh 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil OR 1 teaspoon dried parsley
Pepperoni 1 ounce 1 ounce salami
Raisin 1 cup 1 cup dried currants OR 1 cup dried cranberries OR 1 cup chopped pitted prunes
Rice--white 1 cup, cooked 1 C. barley OR 1 cup cooked bulgur OR 1 cup cooked brown or wild rice
Ricotta 1 cup 1 cup dry cottage cheese OR 1 cup silken tofu
Rum 1 tablespoon 1/2 teaspoon rum extract, plus enough water to make 1 tablespoon
Saffron 1/4 teaspoon 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
Salami 1 ounce 1 ounce pepperoni
Semisweet chocolate chips 1 cup 1 cup chocolate candies OR 1 cup peanut butter or other flavored chips OR 1 cup chopped nuts OR 1 cup chopped dried fruit
Shallots, chopped 1/2 cup 1/2 C. chopped onion, OR 1/2 C. chopped leek OR 1/2 C. chopped green onion
Shortening 1 cup 1 cup butter OR 1 cup margarine minus 1/2 teaspoon salt from recipe
Sour cream 1 cup 1 cup plain yogurt OR 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough cream to make 1 cup OR 3/4 cup buttermilk mixed with 1/3 cup butter
Sour milk 1 cup 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice mixed with enough milk to make 1 cup: Let stand 5 minutes to thicken
Soy sauce 1/2 cup 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce mixed with 1 tablespoon water
Stock--beef or chicken 1 cup 1 cube beef or chicken bouillon dissolved in 1 cup water
Sweetened condensed milk 1 (14-ounce) can 3/4 cup white sugar mixed with 1/2 cup water and 1 1/8 cups dry powdered milk: Bring to a boil and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 20 minutes
Vegetable oil--for baking 1 cup 1 cup applesauce OR 1 cup fruit puree
Vegetable oil--for frying 1 cup 1 cup lard OR 1 cup vegetable shortening
Vinegar 1 teaspoon 1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice OR 2 teaspoons white wine
White sugar 1 cup 1 cup brown sugar OR 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar OR 3/4 cup honey OR 3/4 cup corn syrup
Wine 1 cup 1 cup chicken or beef broth OR 1 cup fruit juice mixed with 2 teaspoons vinegar OR 1 cup water
Yeast-active dry 1 (.25-ounce) package 1 cake compressed yeast OR 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast OR 2 1/2 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
Yogurt 1 cup 1 cup sour cream OR 1 cup buttermilk OR 1 cup sour milk
Louis Rich Turkey Smoked Sausage, 2 cups, cut into 1 inch slices
Canned Diced Tomatoes, 1 can
Swanson Chicken Broth 99% Fat Free, 3 cup
Water, 5 cups
Okra, frozen/raw, 1 cup slices
Onions, raw, 1 cup, chopped
Green Peppers, 1/2 cup chopped
Brown Rice, long grain, 1 1/2 cups uncooked
Oregano, ground, 1 tsp
Red Pepper Flakes, 1/2 tsp
File' Powder 2 tsps
Garlic, 1 clove minced
Celery salt, 1 tsp
Salt and pepper to taste.
Cut up all your veggies and the sausage links. Set aside. In a slow cooker or crockpot put the 3 cups of broth and the 5 cups of water into the pot. To the broth, add the chicken thighs. They will become pieces as they cook and get stirred. Add tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic, oregano, file powder, and celery salt. Turn on low and let cook for 5 hrs. At the end of 5 hrs, stir and break up chicken. Then pour in the 1 1/2 cups of brown rice and okra for about 20 minutes until it is done. Stir in sausage. Stir and serve. Yummy!
Number of Servings: 6
__________________________ If you're not part of the solution, you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker---unknown
I copied this off the internet this afternoon, I'm not a Starbucks fan but for those that do...try this.
Homemade Coffee Syrups
I have a friend who drinks coffee a lot! She loves flavored coffee syrup, like the ones they use at Starbucks, but it is about $7 a bottle where she lives.
I decided that this year, I was going to make some homemade coffee syrup and send it to her as a gift. When my package arrived, she fell in love! She told me that they tasted better than the real thing and that I was now her official Starbucks replacement!
Here is what you need to be able to to do the same:
~Start with a simple syrup. To make a simple syrup, combine 1 cup water and 1 cup white sugar. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until it has reduced by half, which should take about 5 minutes. Now if you want flavoring, you have to add those ingredient(s) at the same time you add the water and sugar. Vanilla Coffee Syrup: Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla flavoring to the simple syrup. Taste to see if it is vanilla flavored enough. If not, add an additional teaspoon. Cinnamon Coffee Syrup: Add about a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the water and sugar mixture.
And to top off the flavored syrups, here is my favorite coffee from Starbucks! I don’t go there hardly at all any more since I have been making all my favorite coffee stuff at home! In fact, It has been months since I have been. I think mine tastes much better (I know, I am biased)! Pumpkin Spiced Latte
2 cups milk
1 cup very strong coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons sugar (or one packet of Splenda)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (plus extra for dusting)
2 heaping spoonfuls of canned pumpkin
Pour all of the ingredients into a pot and heat over medium-high heat until the coffee is steaming hot. Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream & cinnamon. Enjoy!
I made these last night and we really liked them. I use regular red wine vinegar as didn't notice it says rice wine vinegar until too late. I did not use ginger as I don't care for it and I forgot the sesame seeds. And I used a tiny bit of vegetable spread rather than butter. Despite all my changes/mistakes we really enjoyed these beans!
Recipe came from LEDANSER on sparkpeople.com
Really quick and very easy
1 lb. green beans, trimmed
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
3 splashes of ginger juice OR 1/2 tsp. of freshly grated ginger root
1/4 tbsp. butter, cubed
1-1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
Steam green beans for about 10 mins. When the beans are cooked through but still crisp, place in a serving bowl. Toss all other ingredients and serve. Just that easy... Enjoy!
I highly recommend the Braggs Liquid Amino Acids, taste just like soy sauce, but with way less sodium, give them a try!
SALAD of MUSHROOMS AND FENNEL WITH PARMESAN CRISPS
1 or 2 oz of Parmesan cheese
1 small to medium fennel bulb
4 or 5 white button mushrooms
1/2 of a lemon
1 TBLSP Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Some fresh flat leaf parsley
1. preheat the boiler, line the pan with parchment (baking) paper. You have to use the parchment if you don`t want the cheese to liquify. The cheese gets a wonderful sweet taste when grilled. Slice the cheese as thin as possible and place under the boiler about 6 inches for about 6-8 minutes.
2. Trim stalks of fennel and any brown spots. Cut the bottome of the fennel bulb into very thin slices (almost like you would for onion rings)
3. Put the fennel and musrooms in a bowl, add the lemon juice, olive oil salt, pepper and parsley to taste. Mix to coat.
4. Line the dish with the lettuce and top with the fennel mixture and parmesan crisps.
Really makes a refreshing salad and is so quick and easy!
1 fennel bulb
1/2 a TBLSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tomoatoes halved
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
A squeeye of fresh lemon
Sugar (I use Splenda)
1. Trim and clean the fennel removing any brown spots. Slice the bulbs lengthwise 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt if you use it (I never add salt to my food because I retain water if I just look at salt) and 1/2 the olive oil.
2. Sprinkle the cut sides of the tomatoes with sugar, salt to taste and remaining olive oil.
3. Place a grill pan(the one with ridges) over high heat and heat it until it is very hot. Place the tomatoes round side down on the grill pan and arrange the fennel alongside. After 1 or 2 minutes the veggies should be charred, turn them over to char lighly on the 2nd side. If the heat is too high and they are in danger of burning, reduce to med/high heat.
4. Continue cooking for another 4 or 5 minutes, stirring the vegetables.
5. Transfer to a dish and sprinkle with garlic, lemon juice and basil.
This can be served warm or allowed to cool to room temperature.
I also made this over whole wheat spaghetti. Drop of Olive Oil in pan, sauted garlic over high heat, thrown in more tomatoes and reduce the amount of fennel, top with some grated Parmesan.
2 cups boiling water
½ oz dried mushrooms
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups cubed eggplant
1 green pepper, cut into short strips
2.5 cups of crushed tomatoes
1. In a small bowl, combine boiling water & mushrooms. Let soak for 5-10 minutes or until mushrooms are soft. Retain water & drain.
2. In slow-cooker, add the rest of the ingredients (including water from mushrooms.
3. Cook for 2-3 hours until sauce thickens.
4. Pour sauce over polenta or pasta
2.5 g fat
7 g carbs
2 g fiber
1.4 g protein
Last edited by ladyinweighting : 10-05-2010 at 11:58 AM.
This Chicken Marsala recipe is a simple, but delicious one. This recipe serves 2
• 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
• 1 Tbsp flour, spread on a plate
• 1 tsp olive oil
• 4 scallions chopped
• 1/2 pound of mushrooms
• 1/4 cup Marsala wine
• 1/4 cup chicken broth
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• Chopped parsley, for garnish – salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium-high heat.
2. When the oil is hot, coat both sides of the chicken breasts in flour, shake off excess flour and place carefully in the saute pan.
3. Saute chicken, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides, taking care to not let it burn.
4. Transfer the chicken to a plate and reserve.
5. Drain all but a little bit of the oil and add the mushrooms, and scallions.
6. Saute the mushroom mixture until mushrooms begin to release their juices (they look as if they are just beginning to wilt).
7. Add the Marsala wine and salt and pepper, using a wooden spoon, scrape loose all of the brown residue on the bottom and sides of the pan.
8. Add the chicken broth, salt and pepper (to taste).
9. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, approximately 5 minutes.
10. Place the chicken breasts back in the pan and cook until heated through.
11. Transfer the chicken breasts to warm serving plates, pour the sauce in the pan over the chicken and serve with noodles or rice.
12. Garnish with the chopped parsley.
Nutrition Information (Without noodles or rice):
Calories - 338
Fat - 7
Carbs - 28
Protein - 43
Last edited by ladyinweighting : 10-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Girls...try using spice cake, can of pumpkin and the water. I'm going to make it tomorrow, I'll let you know how it tastes.
Follow standard baking directions according to the cake mix package. Your recipe should look a little something like this:
1 BOX WHITE CAKE MIX (49)
1 (15 OZ) CAN OF PUMPKIN (2)
¼ - ½ CUP WATER (0)
1 TBS OF PUMPKIN PIE SPICE * (0)
Bake according to package directions.
Makes 24 cupcakes. 2 Points per cupcake (e-tools calculated).
* Note: There's no need to add spice to cakes that are pre-flavored (such as chocolate, spice cake, coffee cake, etc.). Of course, that decision is up to you & your personal taste!
Use any flavor of cake mix.
This is Dr. Weil's recipe for a good soup base, you can add meat, chicken, barley, etc.
Roasted Vegetable Soup
3 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups water
1/4 cup dried mushroom pieces (Italian porcini, if possible)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt, and black or red pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place the carrots, celery and onion in a small (8x8-inch) nonstick pan or dish with the olive oil. Toss to coat the vegetables. Bake for 10 minutes.
2. Remove pan from oven, add the garlic, and toss again. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are browned.
3. Remove pan from oven, add 1 cup of water and stir to loosen any vegetables that may be stuck. Pour this into a pot with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Season to taste with salt, and black or red pepper, and serve or use as the base for other soups, stews or pasta dishes.
2 cups pecan halves
3 large eggs, beaten
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
½ cup dark corn syrup
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons good-quality bourbon
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Cover bottom of pie crust with pecan halves.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and melted butter. Add the corn syrup, sugar, bourbon and the chopped chocolate. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Pour mixture into the pie shell over the pecans and place on a heavy-duty cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F, and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes or until pie is set. Remove from oven, and cool on a wire rack.
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen.
__________________________ If you're not part of the solution, you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker---unknown