Favourite Recipes

You're on Page 6 of 10
Go to
  • I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but if so, I can delete it.

Kale Krispies

Preheat oven to 225 degrees (not a typo)

1 bunch fresh kale
    evoo spray
    sea salt

Break kale into 2" strips, discarding ribs. Place them in a bowl, and spray with evoo, gently tossing to coat evenly.

Place a cookie cooling rack on a cookie sheet, and spread kale evenly on rack, sprinkle with salt. Bake at 225 degrees for 20 minutes.

These are crispy and good!
  • Snap Pea Stir-Fry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.25 cups water, divided
    1 tbs minced ginger
    0.5 cups couscous
    2 tbs cornstarch
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tbs soy sauce
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 tsp rice wine vinegar
    0.5 tsp dry mustard
    0.25 tsp red-pepper flakes
    1 tsp peanut oil
    1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
    8 ounces snap peas
    1 sweet red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 yellow pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 cup drained canned corn

Boil 0.75 cups of the water and add the ginger. Add the couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes, or until the couscous is soft.

Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 0.5 cups water. Add the garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, mustard and pepper flakes. Set aside.

Warm the peanut oil in a LARGE fry pan or big pot. Add the broccoli snap peas, red and yellow peppers, and zucchini. Stir-fry for 4 minutes. Ad the cornstarch mixture and corn, stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the liquid thickens slightly. Serve with the couscous.

Serves 4 (NOTE: for me, this made more like 6-8 servings)

Each serving =
    225 calories
    7 g fat
    40 g carbs
    5 g fiber
    125 mg sodium
    7.5 g protein
  • Dr. Weil's recipe for Brown Rice Soup with Asparagus
    Ingredients
    3/4 cup brown rice
    1/4 cup wild rice
    2 teaspoons salt or to taste
    1 bunch asparagus
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 celery stalks, chopped fine (about 2/3 cup)
    1/2 onion, chopped fine (about 1/3 cup)
    1 small carrot, chopped fine (about 1/3 cup)
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    6 cups vegetable stock
    2 tablespoons minced scallions or green onions
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon natural soy sauce (such as tamari)
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
    Instructions
    Put the rice with the salt in 3 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
    Trim the tough ends off the asparagus stalks and discard. Steam the asparagus until tender yet crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain it in a colander, then rinse under cold water. Let the asparagus cool for a few minutes. When completely cooled, cut into 1-inch pieces, reserving 1/4 cup of tips for garnish.
    Coat the bottom of a large pot with the olive oil. Add the celery, onion, carrot, and thyme. Cover and cook over low heat for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
    Add the vegetable stock and cooked rice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool a bit.
    Carefully transfer small batches to a blender and blend until smooth. Return all the blended mixture to a pot. Stir in the asparagus, scallions, parsley, soy sauce, pepper sauce, and ground pepper.
    Return to a simmer for 2 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with reserved asparagus tips and parsley sprigs.

Serves 8
    Per serving:

Calories 108
    Fat 2.3 g
    Saturated fat 0.3 g (18.8% of calories from fat)
    Protein 2.6 g
    Carbohydrate 19.7 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Fiber 1.4 g

• This Chicken Marsala recipe is a simple, but delicious one. This recipe serves 2
    Ingredients:
    • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
    • 1 Tbsp flour, spread on a plate
    • 1 tsp olive oil
    • 4 scallions chopped
    • 1/2 pound of mushrooms
    • 1 cup seedless green grapes (sliced in half)
    • 1/4 cup Marsala wine
    • 1/4 cup chicken broth
    • Salt and Pepper to taste
    • Chopped parsley, for garnish – salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    1. Heat olive oil in large saute pan over medium-high heat.
    2. When the oil is hot, coat both sides of the chicken breasts in flour, shake off excess flour and place carefully in the saute pan.
    3. Saute chicken, turning once, until lightly browned on both sides, taking care to not let it burn.
    4. Transfer the chicken to a plate and reserve.
    5. Drain all but a little bit of the oil and add the mushrooms, scallions, and grapes.
    6. Saute the mushroom mixture until mushrooms begin to release their juices (they look as if they are just beginning to wilt).
    7. Add the Marsala wine and salt and pepper, using a wooden spoon, scrape loose all of the brown residue on the bottom and sides of the pan.
    8. Add the chicken broth, salt and pepper (to taste).
    9. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, approximately 5 minutes.
    10. Place the chicken breasts back in the pan and cook until heated through.
    11. Transfer the chicken breasts to warm serving plates, pour the sauce in the pan over the chicken and serve with noodles or rice.
    12. Garnish with the chopped parsley.

Nutrition Information (Without noodles or rice):

Calories – 396
    Fat – 5 g
    Carbs – 54 g
    Protein – 26 g
  • Posted by Donna

Greek Pizza:
    PER SERVING (entire recipe): 277 calories, 4.75g fat, 990mg sodium, 38g carbs, 8.5g fiber, 4.5g sugars, 19g protein -- POINTS® value 5*

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup chopped spinach, thawed from frozen, squeezed dry
    2 tbsp. crumbled fat-free feta cheese
    1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
    1 stick light string cheese
    1 whole-wheat or high-fiber pita
    3 tbsp. canned crushed tomatoes
    2 thin slices red onion, rings separated and halved
    1 tbsp. sliced black olives
    4 slices plum tomato
    Dash dried oregano or 1/4 tsp. fresh oregano
    Optional: salt and black pepper

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine spinach, feta cheese, and garlic. Mix well and set aside.

Break string cheese into thirds and place in a food processor or blender -- blend at high speed until cheese takes on a shredded or grated consistency. (Or just tear string cheese into pieces and roughly chop.) Set aside.

Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray, and lay pita in center. Spread crushed tomatoes over the pita, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Evenly top with spinach-feta mixture, and then cover with shredded/grated string cheese.

Place onion, olive, and tomato slices on top of your "pizza," and sprinkle with oregano.

Bake in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes, until pizza is hot and string cheese has melted.

If you like, season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut into wedges, and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING
  • Cabbage Fat-Burning Soup
    In the options, one reviewer said her grandma put a drained can of Sauerkraut in all her soup for a nice bite. I'm going to ladle off some in a small bowl and try it before I put the whole can in.
    P.S. Update on soup, I only put in 1/2 the Cabbage. This makes a HUGE batch!
    Cabbage Fat-Burning Soup
    "A package of onion soup mix flavors the tomato broth in which six different vegetables are combined with shredded cabbage in this fat free, low-calorie soup."
    Ingredients:
    5 carrots, chopped
    3 onions, chopped
    2 (16 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, with liquid
    1 large head cabbage, chopped
    1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
    1 (15 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
    2 quarts tomato juice (add some Stevia to cut acid in tomatoes)
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    10 stalks celery, chopped
    1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
    Options from reviews, lemon-pepper, Worcestershire sauce, drained can of
    Kraut, (Stevia to off set this)
    lemon pepper, Worcestershire
    Directions:
    1. Place carrots, onions, tomatoes, cabbage, green beans, peppers, and celery in a large pot. Add onion soup mix, tomato juice, beef broth, and enough water to cover vegetables. Simmer until vegetables are tender. (Blend parts or all of it for a creamy soup)May be stored in the refrigerator for several days.
    Printed from Allrecipes.com 3/11/2010
  • Pico de Gallo

6-8 firm Roma tomatoes, deseeded, and finely diced
    1-2 jalapeno peppers, mostly deseeded, and finely diced
    1/2 red onion, finely diced
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 to 1-1/2 tsp cilantro (to taste)
    squirt of lemon juice
    squirt of lime juice

Mix everything together and refrigerate overnight for best taste.

ENJOY!! This goes with just about everything..... yum!
  • I have been using the different flavored rice wine vinegars with just a touch of olive oil to marinate all kinds of raw veggie mixtures.

Last night mixed red onion, red bell pepper, cucumber, radishes, and celery for about 30 minutes and it was a nice side dish to my heavier rice & bean mix. (trying to cut down on meats). I like it on lightly steamed broccoli and cauliflower.
  • http://northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/

It's early, I know, but here's a source for cakes, cookies, breads, candy, etc., etc..... for Christmas and beyond!!
  • Posted by Coralee
    Beth's salad created by Coralee

This salad is wonderful on the hot, sweaty, steamy tropical days of a Tampa June, July or August.
    The secret ingredient is liquid yogurt (kumis). It is found in the dairy section of most metropolitan grocery stores.

Ingredients:
    one baked potato with skin; chilled overnight
    one 9 1/2 inch cucumber peeled
    2 cups chopped green cauliflower
    3 ribs celery
    one tomato 2 1/2 - 3 " diameter
    kumis one - two liquid oz
    Spice: lemon pepper

Chop first five ingredients to a 1/4 to 1/2 inch cubes. Add to medium size mixing bowl. Season with spices, one - 2 tsps. blended two taste. Add kumis to bind ingredients. Let salad rest in fridge for 20 mins.
    Serve on bed of fresh spinach.

Yield 6 servings 1 serving = 55 cals.

Suggested accompaniment: crusty french bread and green tea with honey.
  • Cookies for Breakfast?!!
    I have not tried this recipe but for those who like sweet stuff for breakfast this would probably be better than doughnuts....if you can stop with no more than about three!! (at least I try to keep my breakfasts at around 300+/- cal)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or whole grain pastry flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup honey
    2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
    2 tablespoons fat-free milk
    1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
    2 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
    1 cup golden raisins
    1/4 cup semisweet mini-chocolate chips (or a dark chocolate bar broken into bits)

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.

In another large bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, and honey until creamy. Add the eggs and stir until thoroughly combined. Add the milk and vanilla extract and stir again. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined, then fold in the oats, raisins, and chocolate chips. Drop the dough by a tablespoon onto an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for 9 to 13 minutes or until slightly brown but still very soft. Cool on the baking sheet several minutes, then carefully transfer to a rack.

When completely cool, store in an airtight container.

Makes 36

Per cookie: 126 calories, 2 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 6 g total fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 106 mg sodium
  • Peanut Butter Smoothie
    This is yummy but for me it was too high in cal and carbs for a snack. For a snack I should have cut it in half or it would make me a tasty breakfast smoothie. It's from the Biggest Loser 30 Day Jump Start cookbook.

Smoothie
    1/2 cup FF vanilla yogurt (I used Fiber One)
    1 cup FF milk
    1/2 medium banana (I used 1/2 a small banana)
    2 T almond or PB (I used Adams No-stir creamy PB which is my favorite)

Put in a blender and blend til smooth. Made a tall glass for me.
  • We rarely fry anything for obvious reasons and some of you might not like this because it is frying, but it is in healthy olive oil and when I did it I left most of the oil in the skillet so didn't really consume much of it. When you have a craving for fried chicken try this instead. It didn't take long to fix using only one chicken breast which for my dh and I was about 3 small pieces (I sliced the chicken breast). For the one 1/2 chicken breast I used 2 T oil as I was afraid it would stick badly with less. If you cook more you might have to do a few pieces (or breasts) at a time. And you might be able to use less oil if you use a olive oil cooking spray for at least part of it. I also added a little salt on both sides. We both liked it.

Coat boneless chicken breast in grated Parmesan cheese, heat a large skillet and add 4 T extra virgin olive oil. Cook until golden brown and turn and repeat. Lower the temperature and cook til done. The Parmesan cheese adds a wonderful flavor and cooking with the olive oil makes it lighter and healthier.

From Cooking Club of America forum
  • 5 Minute Raspberry Almond Parfait Recipe For Dessert
    This is really good! This is the original recipe I got from peertrainer.com, however I used (for my 1 serving) much less amounts due to being diabetic. I used only 1/2 t. honey, 1/4 t almond extract, 1/3 c raspberries and 1/2 t. almonds with a small vanilla Activia yogurt. I sprinkled on about 1/8 t of dark chocolate, maybe less. She recommends coconut milk instead of yogurt but I haven't tried that. The recipe as written below is for TWO servings. I loved it with vanilla yogurt!

5 Minute Raspberry Almond Parfait Recipe for Dessert
    Mmmmmmmm. A sublime way to finish a meal with some great protein, fat, a high nutrient fruit carb. And it's only 5 minutes. If you have a dairy intolerance, this recipe is begging for coconut milk!!

Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
    8 ounces (1 cups) low-fat vanilla or soy yogurt (change this to coconut milk!)
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 pint raspberries (don't substitute blueberries, raspberries are really the best here)
    1 tablespoon sliced almonds
    Optional: grated dark chocolate (yum! Tiny bit will go a long way. Be sure to get dark and not milk chocolate)

Directions: Blend yogurt, honey and almond extract in a small mixing bowl with a whisk until the honey is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Divide the yogurt mixture into two dessert dishes. Place the raspberries in one layer on top and garnish with the sliced almonds and, if desired, dark chocolate.

Healthy Cooking Tip: Taste the yogurt mixture for sweetness. You may want more honey depending on the brand of yogurt. (If you stick with yoghurt, make sure you get greek yoghurt.)

Reduce the Calorie Tip: Stick with the greek yoghurt. You'll halve the calories.
  • Sorry girls, this is not a pizza for us. Toooooo fattening but my DH said it was a 'keeper' so you can make it for your spouse/family/grand kids.

Apple-Cheese Pizza
    Pastry for a single pie crust
    5 large apples
    ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
    ½ cup chopped walnuts
    ½ cup oatmeal
    ½ cup brown sugar
    ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon round nutmeg
    3 Tablespoons butter
    Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 12” pizza pan. Roll the pastry into a 13” circle and place on the greased pizza pan. Form a rim around the edge. Bake for 10 minutes.
    Peel, core and slice the apples into ¼” pieces. Arrange on the pizza crust and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Mix together the walnuts, oatmeal, brown sugar and spices. Sprinkle on top of the cheese. Dot pieces of butter over the top and bake for 20 minutes, or until the apples are tender.