Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #106  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Okay. I’m still at work, but have accomplished all I need to today, and just HAD to check back in on my GG’s. NOW, I’m a little less discombobulated and able to finally think straight (I think).
First of all, Theresa, I really HAVE to say that you NEVER sound nuts so no need to apologize at all, ever. If ANYBODY has sounded nuts here, that would be yours truly, and since I seem to have been forgiven, I’m sure a little teeny tiny bit of kvetching about the dreaded hot flashes and sleeplessness and all that menopausal mayhem is perfectly allowable. Jeeze.
Welcome back to you, Lyn…I’m glad you enjoyed yourself on the Cape. Gawd, how I love the ocean. I’m going to head down to Newport in the very near future!
Karen, you’re absolutely right – the kids should come to visit us. I know that’s the right attitude, and maybe in time, I’ll feel less emotional about it. I’m sure that we can adjust to whatever we need to adjust to. My sister has a son in Florida and a daughter in Ohio, and she lives in NC; sees them two or three times a year, and doesn’t carry on the way I do over it.
Hiya Meowee. Do you live near the coast? I went to Nova Scotia some years ago and remember it as being quite beautiful.
Oh, Phyllis…thanks for your words of comfort. When you move up to…Ohio, did you say? (Please don’t mind if I’m wrong about that; I’m relying on my faulty memory, here) won’t that be closer to where your son will be than you are now? It’s awful, though, isn’t it? Having them far away? Ooops. I better stop this; I’m falling back into my “poor me” mode and I promised myself that I wouldn’t.
Good grief, Lynn! Horseback riding! (What will this woman think of next????) Oddly enough, when I was in college – sophomore & junior years, actually – I taught riding at a school for emotionally disturbed teens. I would let the *best student* each day have the honor of mucking out the stalls. You wouldn’t believe how hard they worked to behave properly just so they could muck out those stalls! Made MY job a lot easier, let me tell you! My family had horses when I was growing up, and that was one of the things I really hated doing!
Oh Lily! You, too????? Yeppers, my DS calls for little stuff like that, too – and to tell me funny stories about things they’ve done or what happened to him at work. DH gets on the extension a lot of times, and DS has us both in stictches. Gotta love that kid.
Hey, Cat…I already cried on YOUR shoulder so you get an I.O.U. good for a shoulder whenever needed.
Awwwww, Jo-annie. Surely the coast isn’t THAT LONG??? Maybe we could meet in the middle somewhere, huh?
Oh, Paula, I am just hoping so hard for a good placement for your Dad. It’ll be such a relief, won’t it…just to see him somewhere where they’ll give him good care and he’ll be comfortable and happy. I just know it’ll happen soon.
So far so good today with my eating; it’s getting so the worst time for me is in the evening after dinner. I’m thinking of pushing the dinner hour up closer to 8:00 so there won’t be too much time to dawdle around between dinner and bed.
Plateaus! Hah! I’ll betcha if I weighed myself right this minute, I will have GAINED a few pounds! I’m HOPING for nothing any worse than a plateau when I weigh in on Sunday. Sorry, Betty... Right NOW, a plateau jes' looks mighty fine to me!
Well, that’s enuff from THIS old chickie…take care, GG’s!!!
Z
Old 07-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #107  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi gang . . . I'm back . . .

I'm having a really strange day . . . a bit 'out of sorts' . . . probably a knee-jerk-reaction to my life suddenly calming down again. My weight creeping back up as we approach WWI (Wednesday Weigh In) isn't helping either. But, not to worry, nothing keeps me down for long so I'm sure I'll be back to normal (or whatever passes for 'normal') soon.

PHYLLIS . . . I have heard of Oxysizing sort of indirectly. I have the Greer Childers BodyFlex package and I think that what she recommends as part of her workout is the same sort of breating routine. Have to admit I've never been able to get the hang of it.

JAY . . . Maybe this is here way of trying to make amends? She was probably just very jealous of your new romance and didn't know how to cope with it. I'd let her take the lead and try not to be defensive. Poor woman might just be aching for a way to renew the old friendship.

PAULA . . . Hope things soon settle down for you. I remember the stress when my Mother had to go into a nursing home which was compounded by the fact that she was half a continent away from me. Hang in there.

ZOE . . . I certainly know how you feel too. That quick little visit from my son and family was the first I'd seen them in almost 3 years. Although we do talk quite often, it just isn't the same thing. Yes, I do love living in Nova Scotia (although I'm originally from Ontario). Life is very easy going and pretty relaxed down here.

CAT . . . Afraid I have to join that plateau too . . . Seems like 2007 has been one long plateau for various reasons . . . hopefully, this too will pass . . . for all of us.

LILY . . . Hi to you . . . don't think we met before? If we did, I apologize profusely for my senior moment . . .

LYNN . . . Yep . . . my weight has been kreeping up again since Sunday . . . 227.6 this morning (not improving my mood any either). Can hardly wait for WWI tomorrow.

Anyway, gang . . . I must get going. I put a good article about the Stress/Weight connection in the "hints" sticky if you've got any extra reading time.

Have a great evening doing the good stuff and here's a little dose of to help us through . . . see you later . . .
Old 07-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #108  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
CAT . . . Afraid I have to join that plateau too . . . Seems like 2007 has been one long plateau for various reasons . . . hopefully, this too will pass . . . for all of us.
carrot:
Well, I decided to do something more about it today and went to the wellness center at the local hospital. I went to sign up for a pilates class, but it has been canceled for July. great. But, they have a gym there and I signed up. Have to go at 10 tomorrow for my "consultation" They have a couple of trainers there that give individual attention. I like it cause it's not like a regular gym full of little giggly girls who I would want to kill..it's a bit more "medical" cause the rehab center is in the same building. (hey, and the machines have tv's in front of them!) The girl who signed me up tried to get me in the water aerobics class. Good luck with that! If I had to go shopping for a bathing suit I'd probably hang myself right there in the dressing room with the first one I tried on.
Maybe next year...cause I do love to swim and was on a swim team when I was young...does clorine cause wrinkles????

I came home and made up a new quinoa recipe that turned out pretty good. I have been trying to limit myself to one grain a day...I forgot I had an oatmeal bar for breakfast. Oh well...
Old 07-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #109  

Thank You all for the encourageing words. They do INDEED help. I'd love to read & write more today, but am dealing with a health issue here. Not the worst thing in the world just 2, yes I said 2 abscessed teeth!! Seems to be a tooth epidemic here in my house. My daughter had 2 pulled last couple of weeks &husband just had 4 (OMG!!!) implants put in today. I do live in the south and am beginning to feel like we are like the pathetic pix u see in the media of the "Good Ole Boy" folks, rednecks that have a smile that has gaps , between the lovely black teeth they proudly display for the cameras-lolol!! No!! No!! It really AIN'T like that, I promise. But the way I feel right now, no doubt,the toothless wonders,if they are not in AGONY are doing a far cry better than I am!!! My prob is I have VERY BAD Osteoperosis & have been fearful of getting these 2 back teeth pulled for months- afraid they would break my jawbone!! Altho I am on the Miacalcin, rather than Fosomax. Still they say the disease is just a couple tenths of a point away from havingto take an injection a day for 18 months!! I think my fearsare at least understandable- if not justified. But the pain has gotten so bad, eating antibiotics & ibuprofen - that the 1st availble appt. I'm off to get these suckers out!! For now there is no prob with the kind of food I eat- anything u don't have to chew, thank you . And the infection being battled by the Amoxicillian is making me weaker than branch water- so the only exercise I am up to was draggin' my butt in here to check e-mail & read the posts here. If any of you are praying folk, please think of me in your prayers tonight. Got Dr's appt tomorrow- hope to be feeling better soon.
Hope you all have a great next day or 2- I'll bb as soon as it is HUMANLY possible. Thank u all again for caring.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Sleep Number Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarusty View Post
Lynn, we have a sleep number bed too..........I LOVE MY BED! I'm a 40 and my dh is a 50!
.......Phyllis
Hi Phyllis,

I'm a 45. I HATE having to do without my bed when I am away from home.

Lynn
Old 07-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #111  

Default Tuesday

Hi Golden Girls,

Hi Lily, I think my gym might have my measurements from my highest weight. I'll have to ask them - I go back there tomorrow

Hi Cat, Zoe cried when she read the story about your dd + the tuna salad. I have to confess that I giggled. I remember a cookbook I found for my youngest niece - it had a recipe for making a cup of tea with a teabag!

Hi Zoe, be careful of that sun! I hope you are using some SPF sunblock. With all the biking you are doing, you need to be careful of your skin.

Hi Joanne, for what it's worth, my advice is to do what you want to do about the wedding. If you don't want to be there, send a card and a gift (if you want) and go on a vacation to somewhere you want to be. I have a saying that I use periodically - "I'm choosing to feel guilty." Consider it.

Hi Paula, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you & your dad. I found that with regards to healthcare, you really can't go by what other people tell you - you have to use your own experience.

Hi Linda, I have another idea - watch out - how about you post a sticky for the Golden Girls to introduce each of us to newbies?

Hi Betty, I'm so sorry you're hurting. Feel better.

A funny story - this morning, after getting home from walking, I decided to wash my car. Last year, my SIL had bought me a hose for this purpose that I had never used. I go to the auto store, buy car wash stuff, come home, get out the hose, unwrap it & screw it into the faucet, turn it on, and it turns out that this is a lawn sprinkling hose - tiny holes every inch or so - I get soaking wet (which was OK given the heat) trying to wash my car.

After I dried off & had lunch, I went to the movies with a neighbor to see "Sicko" - this movie is all about the problems with the health care system in this country. Not much new information, but it's enough to make you CRAZY when you see it all together.

About my walk this morning - I saw a white swan, a grey heron, 2 beavers, lots of geese, goslings, ducks, ducklings, fish - I wished I had my camera with me.

OK - here's hoping we all jump off these plateau's,

Take care,

Lynn
Old 07-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #112  
Onward and Downward

Hi there . . .

Lynn and Phyllis . . . I think I want a Sleep Number bed. Did it take you long to figure out your favourite number? You two are pretty close.

Lynn . . . An intro thread would be a good idea . . . as you know I have one over in the Diabetes Forum . . . what sort of stuff would you like to include? Maybe you can throw together your ideas and send me a PM and we can develop something together.

Betty . . . Good luck with the toothy-pegs . . . as awful as it sounds, if you let them know about the Osteo problem maybe they can cut the teeth out rather than trying to pull them . . . probably safer in the long run.

Cat . . . That's a great step and I know what you mean about the bathing suit . . . my GP is always telling me I should swim for exercise . . . but so far he hasn't offered to build me a private, indoor pool.

Well . . . it's definitely bedtime in Atlantic Canada . . . see you tomorrow, gang . . .
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #113  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

A quick hello to all,

Running low on energy....so I'll maybe post more later. (probably much later... Zzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Zoe....I didn't think to use Fiber One for bread crumb substitute....I have made a note and will have to give it a try. I do like Fiber One...just don't have any at the moment.

Cat...I have some quinoa but really don't have any idea what to do with it. So any where you have recipes posted...let me know, I really want to try it.

Betty.... The article just suggested a few pounds more...I would suppose that would be 3 - 5 pounds. Like you said....going off is pretty easy...getting back on is the trick. But maybe if you went off gentlyl...as in eating the same that you are now, but just more of it....if would be easier than if you busted the diet with all the junk food you have forbidden to yourself.

Jay Jay ... sounds lie Meowee's advice is a good one.... extend the olive branch, you don't know what all she has been working through and this would be a good chance to see how it goes.

Lynn...looks like sleep number bed is pretty popular. I thought I would go for the temperpedic one.... it is SO comfortable in the store... ... but I hear a lot about the sleep number. Glad for the input.

I made Turkey & spinach lasagna tonight....it had in it all kinds of good stuff that I had never tried before (including turkey sausage), wow it was very good. I used a lot of reduced fat stuff....and still it was very good. First time I had ever used goat cheese....tastes great. Big drawback....it takes about 3 hours to make. Big advantage (besides taste), lots to freeze and I won't have to make it again for quite a while!!!

Love to all
Old 07-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Well another day over and my dad is still in the hospital. He seemed depressed, but I told him one more day. The insurance company is still negotiating with the nursing home. I asked his case worker at the hospital what would happen if they couldn't come to an agreement? After all this is who the insurance said I had to send him to to be in network. She said she didn't see that happening and if it did she would have to intervene and tell them to work something out. My feeling is since it's the insurance's fault that my dad is still in the hospital because of them we shouldn't have to pay for today's care out of our pocket.

I was at Walmart tonight checking out the TVs for my dad's new room. They furnish the cable, but we have to furnish the TV. His TV at home is way to big to take in. I found a nice one for $119 so I think I'll go back tomorrow and buy it. He will need something to watch in the private room. I want to have it all set up before I leave him tomorrow. I figure I can always use an extra TV when he no longer needs it.

Eating today was OK. I had Cheerios for breakfast, leftover pasta for lunch and a grilled chicken salad for dinner. I really don't think I'm eating enough. I'm not getting any snacks in at all. Of course I'm also not getting any real exercise in either.

Betty- Ouch! Sorry about the teeth problems. I agree about asking to have them cut out instead of pulling. My dad's roots grow under the bone and they actually had to break the teeth in sections to get them out.

Lynn- Funny story. I bet the sprinkling felt good though. I told my hubby yesterday that I thought I'd send my story to Michael Moore and see if he wanted to do a sequel to his health care story. He could devote the whole movie to my experience alone.

femme- Good luck with the exercise classes.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #115  
Onward and Downward

Oh Ugh . . .

Remember the Tortoise . . . Remember the Tortoise . . . Remember the Tortoise . . . Hardly a day goes by that I don't say that to someone somewhere around 3FC.

Guess I just have to keep telling myself the same thing . . . especially every Wednesday as I watch my weight on my "official" day of the week sit about 2 pounds higher than it was the Sunday before . . . but, at least it is a magnificent 0.2 lower than it was last Wednesday. Oh well . . . the general direction is encouraging and the things I've learned and the good habits I've formed in the past year and a half are also encouraging.

MOXIE . . . . . . That turkey and spinach lasagna sounds great . . . hope you put it in the 'Sticky" for the rest of us to share . . . hint, hint, hint

PAULA . . . . . . Wow, I certainly hope today finally sees your poor Dad settled somewhere. That kind of stress is not good for anybody.

Oh yeah . . . Good Morning everybody . . . . . . Looks like we are going to have a hot and humid day for a change . . . and also very overcast.

Keep things moving and shaking and have a great day, gang . . . See you later . . .
Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM   #116  
Onward and Downward

Anyway . . . As some of you already know, I love Cats, Cartoons, Cookbooks (and alliteration) . But . . . I'm also a repository for thousands of useless facts . . . I love Trivia too. . . thought I'd start sharing some of my many FFFFs (Fascinatingly Funky Food Facts -- hey, alliteration is me ) with you. So here goes . . .

Today's FFFF . . . Did you know that the glue on a postage stamp contains anywhere from 2 to 8 calories (depending on how well you lick it).

Later . . .
Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #117  

That's good to know Meowee. I guess it's a good thing they invented the peel & stick stamps. No more licking for me!!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #118  
Lifetime Loser

Linda I actually knew that! lol They show you how to find your number for the sleep number bed at the store and that is where you start. Mine in the store was 35 and sometimes I use that but mainly stay on 40. My son has the mattress your talking about and loves it. But I am like Lynn I miss my bed when we're traveling. My hips hurt every a.m. and I thought I was getting arthritis but since the sleep number bed that problem has gone away.
Hey, I should do a commercial for them!!! lol

Paula, I too hope your Dad gets settled in some place today. Make sure the TV you get has closed caption on it, if he is a bit hard of hearing you can put that on and he can read too, helps a lot.

Moxie, please do share your recipe, it sounds really yummy.

Betty, feel better....I know you'll be glad when it is all over....geezh I hate dentists!!!!! Post when you feel better.

Lyn, I see we are aiming for the same amout of weight loss this month. Well, something better start working for me as I haven't lost any so far this month!
Added the Oxycise to my routine so I'll see if that shakes things up.

Zoe, when we move to Ohio in the spring (we hope if we can sell our condo) we will be about 2 hrs. further away from my youngest son in So. Carolina but it still would be a 1 day drive which isn't too bad. We are at least 1000 miles away to our other children and one in Michigan is 1550 miles. It's a long trip to see them, too long.

Cat, good for you joining a gym. I went to one for a while and liked it but they closed up, never tried to find another one. Since I am doing the hypnosis I have not missed but 5 days last month exercising and I chose to miss those. Now I have added a routine. I see the hypnotist today for another session, he will be pleased with that and by tomorrow I may be down 1 more lb........Linda is right slowly but surely!

Joanne, I agree with what Lynn said. If your going to be uncomfortable just send a nice gift. It's a hard decision. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Hey Theresa, Karen & Bobbi a big Hi.....and if I missed anyone else I'll catch you tomorrow.

Phyllis
Old 07-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #119  

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Linda, I figured out my number in the store before I bought it. Anything lower was too soft - anything higher too hard. Only takes a minute. I'll PM you about the Intro thread. OK - how did you do on the scale this morning?

Hi Margaret, I could NEVER use the temperpedic bed - my hot flashes would be triggered by any heat.

Hi Paula, I thought of you when I saw the Michael Moore movie. Have you seen it? Maybe you shouldn't see it right now. It might evoke a lot of your feelings about what has been going on with you and your dad.

Hi Phyllis, you are doing GREAT with your WATP dvd's. Ask that hypnotist if he/she could hypnotize me via email so that I would do them everyday.

I'm back to my gym today & I am VERY happy about it. Will probably need to start all over again with my weights, but that's OK. I'll just be glad to get back.

Take a look at my ticker - I jumped off that plateau (must have been the 90 minute walk yesterday). I'm 1 lb away from 20 lbs lost. When I get to 165, I will have met my July goal.

Have a Happy and Healthy day everyone,

Lynn
Old 07-11-2007, 10:59 AM   #120  

Nope haven't seen the movie and don't think I will.

I just got home from Walmart and have the new TV. Didn't think about the closed caption, but it does have a jack so he can plug in headphones if needed. It's a nice 19" one so he shouldn't have any problem seeing it.

I'm still waiting to hear what's going with the negations today. I'm going to call the case worker at noon if I haven't heard anything by then. I hope they don't leave me hanging all day again. It will be luck that they move him at 5:00 and I won't make the Red Hat dinner at 6:30. I have to get the TV set-up and make sure he's all tucked in before I leave.

I had my Cheerios for breakfast and I'm hungry so I'm going to have an early lunch. Think I'll just put some peanut butter on a rice cake.

Lynn- : You go girl!!!
Closed Thread