Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #331  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . . grouphug:

Another hot and humid day shaping up. Boy, Summer really got off to a slow start in Atlantic Canada this year, but now it seems determined to make up for lost time.

I fear that "goes" instead if "said" came along about the same time as using "like" to start every thought. Not sure which would have bothered me more -- the words or the joy of watching them talk while eating (and spitting) cookies.

And . . . since a discussion about 'talking while your mouth is full' seems to be a perfect seque . . . here's a little FFFF for today . . .

The expression "living high on the hog" originated from the way meat was once portioned out to the British army. The officers received the more tender cuts that tended to come from the front and upper portions of the pig - i.e., higher on the hog - while the lower ranks shared the remains.

Oh . . . BTW here's my all-time favourite piece of trivia. Not food related, but definitely British army related.

King George III, noticed one coollish night that his soldiers that were patrolling the castle grounds were wiping their runny noses on the sleeves of their uniforms and he thought this was a terribly disgusting habit; so he had the royal tailor sew big sharp objects to the front of all the soldiers sleeves to try to get them to stop --- and that is why men's suit jackets have sleeve buttons.

Hope everybody has a great day planned . . . see you later, gang . . .
Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #332  
Lifetime Loser

Hi y'all.........

Yes, Zoe I'm still here, just nothing much new to report.

I'm doing all this very brisk walking, at least 9 miles/wk and 15 min. of Oxysize everyday and only 2.5 lbs. this month..................urghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

However, we were out to dinner with friends Tues. and 2 people told me I looked very good, so maybe I'm toning up anyway my hubby says I am. I am going to try on some clothes that haven't fit right (too tight) and see if there is any difference. I did work off that 1.5 lbs. from eating out 2 nights in a row so now I am back to my low mark, guess that is progress.

I've been reading all the posts and see everyone is staying very busy as usual. Oh, Karen congrats on the job and selling your things.

Ok, I seem to be getting back in to eating too much of the dreaded CHICKEN again..............! But last night I made a stir fry with some shrimp and lots of veggies and a few noodles with a light ginger type sauce...........was an excellent change.

Lynn, will be glad to see you post more often, your a busy lady.

Got to run, Phyllis
Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #333  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning Everyone!!

I thought I would stop in early this morning while we are waiting for the guy from NM to come and look at the house. I got up and went through everything this morning and have done several walk thrus just to make sure everything looks OK. I guess it does.

Good Morning and Welcome to Gary and Angie!

Phyllis, you are doing so good with your walking and all---I have got to get a kick in the pants to get going again on mine. I know that is why I've been feeling so tired lately too.

Heidi, we had rain here almost all night and this morning the regular birds and the hummingbirds were all waiting to get their new supply of food. The hummingbirds are going through their food just about every day now!

Cat, I like Big Brother too! But I just watch it on TV. I don't think I would ever get into watching them all on the computer too.

Linda, you must be doing a really good job for your company. Glad things went well for you.

JoAnne, Gosh, What a mess that made huh! I'll bet somebody gets in some trouble over that.

Well, I guess I'd better get off of here for now. Need to go and be ready to show the house.

Take care everyone and I'll check back later this afternoon. Have a good day! Karen
Old 07-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #334  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Smile Thursday stuff

Hi all you GGs (and Gary?) (I guess he is a GG too.."Golden Gary")

I took yesterday off from work to regroup so-to-speak. I had all kinds of little things to do at home that weren't getting done..like posting photos on the computer, tying up my tomato plants, balancing the checkbook etc...I also relaxed and enjoyed the sunshine...and walked 5 miles in 77 minutes! When I came in I jumped on the scale and was down 2 pounds...but this morning am back to normal. Must have lost a lot of water.

Theresa - I read your Introduction and note that your 29th wedding anniversary is in August - so is mine - August 26, 1978. What's yours?

I love reading everyone's posts...but find it hard to find time to respond to all. Just know that you all give me a smile and a chuckle and lift my spirits most days.

This weekend my DH and I and a friend are going to hear and see the Moody Blues at an outdoor concert. It will be interesting to see if the audience is all Baby Boomers recapturing the 60s and 70s or if there will be some younger people too.

Well, back to work..

Lyn
Old 07-26-2007, 11:05 AM   #335  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynard21 View Post
This weekend my DH and I and a friend are going to hear and see the Moody Blues at an outdoor concert.
I am so jealous and want to hear all about it when you get home. I love the Moody Blues. I got to see them once in concert when I was in college. Somehow somebody got tickets and we sat on about the 3rd row and it was fantastic. The same person also managed to get us tickets for Jethro Tull way up in front..whatta show!!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #336  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi GG's

First, Welcome, Gary. Nice photo of you and your wife.

Hi Margaret, How is your challenge going with your dil? WOW - 5 lbs down! I am putting that Will Power Dust you sent me into my safe!

Hi Lily, I have a scale that has the word "Thinner" on it. It's digital & displays lbs + oz's (but only even number oz's).
Someone let the heat out of SD - it's hot and muggy here today. If I decide to walk, I'll go to the gym. I would LOVE to have you come visit me. Should we try to plan a get-together?

Hi Heidi, I'm with you about the "quitting eating" - I quit smoking & drinking. Actually, I'm using kind of the same mental talk with myself about "quittin" some foods - I say "I've done that/been there. In my lifetime, I've eaten every kind of bread/potato/rice/pasta/dessert. I've been to every kind of restaurant & eaten every kind of food. I don't need to eat that (whatever is tempting me) anymore!"

Hi Lyn, as soon as I finish this post, I'm going to read all the new intro posts. Have fun at the concert this weekend.

Hi Phyllis, looks like you and I are facing a 2-lb loss this month - Oh well, better than a 2-lb gain.

Hi Joanne, I hope your mom's knee continues to improve. Stay away from that deli!

Hi Zoe, you need to read "Rethinking Thin." Essentially, the message is that our bodies strive to maintain our weight - speeding up our metabolism as we eat more & slowing it down as we eat less. She's got a LOT of interesting research in there.
I used to volunteer at a local correctional facility. I taught decision-making skills to the inmates. EVERY one of the young men with whom I worked got into trouble bc of either alcohol or drugs. I could relate mainly bc of my food addictions. I can REALLY understand how difficult it is to change behavior.
Any chance of your sharing your novel with us? I would LOVE to read it.

Hi LindaD, WOW - no insurance. I'm REALLY sorry to hear that. Keep healthy. It's really amazing that your dad retained his ability to quote the Bible. You have tight jeans - I have a dress I bought this summer that is a Medium - I wear a large. I try it on about once a week - still too tight. Congratulations on your "Stay Bonus" - you are obviously a valued employee.

Hi Linda (Meowee) - a diabetic cat! How did you find out?

Hi Trish, When is/was your July birthday? Hope your stepfather is doing well.

Hi Karen, if you want that WalMart job I SURE hope you get it! I love the photo of your family. Thanks for sharing with us.

Hi Theresa, be careful doing ANY kind of exercise. When my hip was messed up, I would aggrevate it whenever I did any exercise. How is your DIL doing?

Hi Cat, after my dd's stroke, I had to move him - turn him & help him get moved from chair to bed or bed to chair. He was 6'7 & started at over 300 lbs (was 200+ by the time he died). I was constantly hurting my back. Probably was also how I hurt my hip.
I LOVE your dialog for BB After Dark. Sounds like some of my students.

Hi Paula, tomorrow I'm going to clean out the refrig - garbagemen come on Saturday morning. My pantry looks so "empty!" I'm sure you will love Hairspray - it's REALLY cute.

Today I've got NOTHING planned except coursework. I got up really early & answered all the students' questions & then, posted all my assignments in the course I'm taking. Sooo - I have time to come here and chat.

As you can see, I've moved my ticker up to 166 - I hated to do that, but I need to keep it honest. I'm thinking that maybe I'm eating more calories than I think I'm eating. I'm going to really lower my maximum for the rest of this week & see what happens.

OK - I'm off to read everyone's intro posts.

Hope we all have a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn
Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #337  
Lifetime Loser

Too funny Lyn, Golden Gary!

I am jealous also, Moody Blues.....I love them! Have a great time. You amaze me with the amount of walking you do too.

I just finished walking 2 miles with my new WTPA dvd.........it is so fast I was really sweating!!! Hey maybe the scales will move. Have walked 8 miles so far this week going for a record.

Yes, Lynn I will take 2 lbs.....wish it was more. I have on a top that was tight on me and now fits fine so I guess the inches are slowly leaving. Good for you being honest about the 1 lb. and moving the ticker up....you'll lose it soon.

Linda I love all your little fun facts....very interesting. How are you doing with your plan?

Hi, Cat when does your teaching start? Seems like school starts earlier and earlier. I remember when it was always the day after Labor Day.

A big hello to all I missed, I do read all the posts.

Phyllis
Old 07-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #338  

I've been trying to think of things that are causing me to not lose -

Water - I've been drinking VERY little water. Mostly I drink decaf coffee (w cream & sweetner) and decaf diet soda. As of now, I'm going to drink more water & limit my coffee & soda. I bought a 64 oz water jug at the store. I'll fill it up, put it in the refrig & drink from that during the day.

Also - I've been using lo-fat instead of non-fat dairy. I'm going to switch back to my fat free dairy products.

If I think of other things, I'll let you know.

Lynn
Old 07-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #339  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Hi all,
just another quickie before work.
My dd in-law is doing better today. Time will tell how she does. my son won’t let her pick up the baby. Hasn’t since Sunday. She and the little one are getting cranky about that! I don’t blame them.

Biggest problem will be… she is pig headed. As soon as she can, when no one is looking… She will start moving furniture and heavy objects, Of course She will not ask for help.

Lynn,
I am being extremely careful on the hip. It hurts when I walk or lay down Still using the pillow under my knees. And a Board under the mattress. The therapist says to only use the treadmill. No curves, etc.
I am going to try the treadmill in the am. How long did yours take to quit hurting?

Have you thought about adding different kinds of fat to your diet? I am getting a book on loosing while eating fat.

It is called “EAT FAT LOSE FAT”
By Dr. Mary Enig.
The woman that runs curves gave me the name.
The pages she copied for me tell that if you don’t eat enough of the healthy fats…
and cut out most all the other fats…
You will reach a plateau
and always be hungry, and craving fatty foods.
Also you will get dry skin. Which I fight most of the time.

Its worth a shot. I hope the library gets it soon.
I do know that one of the girls on The Calories counters forum Eats much more fat than me. And it’s the healthy kinds. She is loosing much faster than I am. I think she averages 50 grams or more a day.

Lyn,
Congrats on the 29Th! Mine is August 11th. That is another reason summers are so hard on me for loosing weight.
3 birthdays in July,
3 more in August.
plus our anniversary.
And my son’s birthday in September.

Your concert sounds nice. I hope you enjoy it. I bet you will be surprised with the number of younger people there.

Hi Gary, and Angie,
Congrats to all you lucky, hard working ladies, Loosing all those pounds.
I hope in a few weeks to get back to the exercise and try loosing some more weight too.
Hello to everyone else.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #340  

Default Eating Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
Hi all,
Lynn,
I am being extremely careful on the hip. It hurts when I walk or lay down Still using the pillow under my knees. And a Board under the mattress. The therapist says to only use the treadmill. No curves, etc.
I am going to try the treadmill in the am. How long did yours take to quit hurting?

Have you thought about adding different kinds of fat to your diet? I am getting a book on loosing while eating fat.

It is called “EAT FAT LOSE FAT”
By Dr. Mary Enig.
The woman that runs curves gave me the name.
The pages she copied for me tell that if you don’t eat enough of the healthy fats…
and cut out most all the other fats…
You will reach a plateau
and always be hungry, and craving fatty foods.
Also you will get dry skin. Which I fight most of the time.

Its worth a shot. I hope the library gets it soon.
I do know that one of the girls on The Calories counters forum Eats much more fat than me. And it’s the healthy kinds. She is loosing much faster than I am. I think she averages 50 grams or more a day.

Hi Theresa,

Actually, my diet is about 50% fat, 30% protein, and 20% carbs - bc of the diabetes. My dietitian claims this is good as long as I balance saturated fats with poly-unsaturated fats and monosaturated fats - I do this. When I saw your breakdown, I almost suggested that you add more fats, but then, I know that you are losing better than I am so I figured I should keep my mouth shut.

About my back and hip pain - sorry to say, I had to have surgery before either stopped. I had reconstructive spinal surgery on my back around 15 years ago & I had hip surgery last year. The hip surgery was EASY the back surgery was HARD. BOTH were successful - I have practically NO pain anymore - BUT, since Donald died - I NEVER lift anything heavier than my cat - there are times I MUST lift her (18 lbs). Today, I was in BJ's & saw some folded paper towels that someone in our Condo asked me to get for the condo's community bathroom & kitchen. The carton was VERY heavy. I did NOT even try to pick it up.

Good luck with the diet change & with your hip - I know how bad that pain is & I'm really sorry you're suffering with it.

Lynn
Old 07-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #341  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone:

I'm real busy at work trying to get everything ready for the movers today. I just wanted to stop by and read the posts so I won't have too many to read tonight.

Gary: What part of California?? I'm in Lake Forest. Everyone here is so nice and helpful. We can call you the "Golden Guy". Nice to meet you.

My brother, who lives in Florida, sent me a couple pictures of he and his fiance'.

Talk to you soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Don and Carol.jpg (37.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Don and Carol 2.jpg (39.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #342  
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarusty View Post
Hi, Cat when does your teaching start? Seems like school starts earlier and earlier. I remember when it was always the day after Labor Day.
I have to go back on the 13th..kids start on the 15th, but I won't have any classes for a couple of weeks after that..since they are so little, they try to get them acclimated to school before throwing something else new at them. (at five years old, learning how to hold a tray in the cafeteria and to stay in line in the correct order is monumental!)
so for those couple of weeks, I get all of the computers worked on, loaded with software etc...and of course visiting this list!
Old 07-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #343  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi again . . .

Love that "Golden Gary" line . . . I was going to say that men could join the Golden Girls as long as their name stats with a "G". But "Golden Guys" works well.

Maybe we should change the name of the group to GOLDEN GIRLS & GUYS -- the GGG's.

You know I've never seen a scale that weighs in pounds and ounces. I too had one of the "thinner" scales but, just like my current scale, it weighed in pounds and 10ths of a pound; but like yours only in the even numbered 10ths. But, hey that's okay too. When you lose .4 of a lb you've actually lost almost 6 and one-half ounces.

We found out Jazz was diabetic because he was losing weight and seemed extremely listless all the time. The Vet couldn't find any easily identifiable reason so we decided to go for a complete blood workup. I think the Vet thought I was a little nuts to spend the money and then to try treating the Diabetes in a relatively old cat . . . until I mentioned that I had the disease too and wouldn't want to think that somebody would decide to put me down because I had an incurable (but treatable) disease. Actually his insulin is quite cheap, it's the bloodwork that's expensive.

Time to go and think about dinner . . . wonder what magnificent thing I can have with my big salad tonight . . . have to keep on losing that wonderful .4 of a pound you know.

Have a great evening . . .
Old 07-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #344  
-

I didn't really have a plan for today's main meal, so I went rooting in the freezer and came up with a couple of tilapia filets.
The fish came out great, so I thought I'd share for the fish lovers.

I sprayed a baking sheet with olive oil Pam and then put the filets on the pan and also sprayed them with Pam.
Then I put a big glob of honey dijon mustard on each of them and brushed it all over the filets pretty thick.
Then I sprinkled each with a lot of seasoning (I used Chef Paul's "Magic Salmon" seasoning, but whatever you have should work fine.)
I was out of lemons, but I'm sure that would have been good on top also.
Then I put them in the oven at 350 for about 25 minutes (the were BIG filets)..then turned on the broiler till they got very brown. It was great..
the mustard formed a kind of crust on them and the fish was very moist..not dried out at all. My husband really loved it.

I also fixed a caprese salad and some of that cauliflower/broccoli Birdseye steamed in the bag stuff. I'm not usually one for frozen vegs, but it was very good.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #345  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Cat:

I'm going to try the fish receipe. It's sounds good and easy. What's a caprese salad? I like the birdseye frozen vegies when I don't have fresh on hand. What program are you on? I see you've lost a lot of weight. How long has it taken you to lose it?
Closed Thread