3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

~golden Girls~ July

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #136

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Good Morning

Paula are you warm yet. Brrr! Its only 60 degrees, in the sun right now.
Nope! not complaining. much better than the 90’s we had last week. And
cheaper than running the ac.
I am so happy to hear things went well for your dad. It is wonderful to hear that they are on their toes there.

Zoe,
What a bunch of good looking kids. I want to get mine to stand still long enough to get a new pic, too.
We are not picture takers. Maybe Saturday when the kids come over. All these digital cameras now days. one would think we would use them more often.

Oh! you are a brave lady, to buy a swim suit! Maybe next yr. I will. I hope you enjoy your trip in September. sounds so fun.
I think we all have a sister like yours… you know… one that can eat everything in site. and stay a size 5 or less.

Joanne,
Do you know how to open your pc?
If you open it, (unplug it first). You can then clean it very gently. The dust in a pc can gather very quickly. (there are pc vacumes at the store. )
It causes them to over heat. One can also add fans inside them for extra cooling.
Does anyone in your family know pc’s? maybe they can help.

By the way, I do enjoy dd chatter, I was just being silly. She makes me laugh. I never knew anyone that could talk as much as her.

LindaD
it’s nice to see you again! congrats on the 2 pounds. keep up the hard work. and while on a trip? you ARE Doing great.

Lily,
Congrats to you too. 2 pounds is fantastic. Keeping busy is a key word for loosing weight. You are not far from you end goals. In fact we have the same goals, Can’t wait to get there!!

Lynn,
good luck with your CAT scan. I will be thinking of you and say a prayer.
Code:

“”Are you gals sure we should be called the Golden Girls & not the Falling Apart Girls?”’

lol, that is how I feel this week too.

On the subject of my job…
Yes, there IS lots of waste. But that does not make up for the stupid rules. I am going to give the link from Lynn on turning them in… to my coworker, She is the one that has been told to cook like that.
And maybe she has documentation to prove things. Mine at this point is just hearsay.
What constitutes legal documentation?

I also do tell the ladies living there, to open their mouths about the situation too. That should make a big difference. They are paying guest.
This is not JUST a nursing home. Many of them can come and go if physically able.

Linda,
I am sure that your weight WILL give it up soon. If you are eating correctly and moving even just a little…It will happen, don’t give up.

Phyllis,
Wow! another pound, good for you girl!

Well I have been sitting here too long. must move my butt. Or those floors won’t ever see a mop.

hugs to all of you. enjoy the sunny day

Start date: March 1 st. 2007 184 lbs

Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #137
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Thursday in NYS

Ahhh and wonderfully cool day..and it's my golfing afternoon too!

Yes, I admit, I work for a great place...J&J (you know, the bandaid, Tylenol, Neutragena, Baby Powder etc..Co)? Well, we make medical diagnostic products here in Rochester..(Ortho-Clinical Diagnostics) and are heavy into new diagnostic tests for breast cancer, diabetes, and even Ahlziehmers, (how do you spell it???) Yes, I'm lucky to work here. Every J&J site has a fitness center, healthy cafeteria and great health and safety (of which I am a part of).

Ok Ok enough public relations...I blew it yesterday. My sister (the one who lives in China whom I visited with last week) well she brought me some wonderful Chinese sesame candies and I ate most of them yesterday. Once I started I couldn't stop. Luckliy they are almost gone now. The package was in Chinese so I have no idea on the calorie count...but beleive me...it tasted high.

Zoe, great photo of your "kids". Thanks for sharing.

Paula - Hooray!!!!! Good news that your dad was FINALLY trasferred. So far so good. Also...No dessert!! I'm proud of you.

Lynn - Good luck with the Cat-scan.

Well...back to work now.

Lyn
Old 07-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #138
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodLily View Post
What are "bingo" arms???

I'm in a rush to get outside to do some gardening before it starts storming, no time for personals..but wanted to say good morning to everyone...and thinking of you with CAT scan..

This is the def. of "bingo arms"
Old 07-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #139
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Well its Thursday and Hi to all the GOLDEN GIRLS Survived the hottest day on record yesterday (35C which is over 100F). I am lucky to have an airconditioned office I even need to put a sweater on in the office. Other buildings on campus aren't as lucky. At least the aerobics studio is cool -- had a fabulous yogalaties class yesterday. Although in the evening at home I was rather miserable -- we usually go up to bed early and read for a while - need to be asleep by 10 because 5:30 comes early. Well last night I was upstairs about 8:30 and said there is no way I am going up until at least 10 and the sun is gone - this room only gets morning sun LOL. Somehow made it through the night -- blech and there was a cool breeze blowing this morning.

Linda D -- welcome back

Zoe -- You may be on to something with that cookbook -- remember pet rocks LOL. I see the ads for the CAT that runs from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth and its definitely on our trip list but right now its behind the Grand Canyon and a Caribbean cruise. My goodness what beautiful beautiful children -- no wonder you are so proud of them.

Lily -- sorry to repeat but the west coast hit 100 yesterday - lets hope you don't get it. We call them Bingo Wings here (love the link Cat!!)

Lynn -- Good luck today

Paula -- I am so pleased with your good news. Isn't it nice when you have great professionals and ones that care. My sweetie works in PT and is currently on the floor with the patients waiting for a nursing home. He is looking forward to a change next month back to orthopedics and more PT rather than OT

Linda -- Thanks for the meaning of DIET LOL. Lots of us don't comment all the time -- right now I am fairly quiet at work so I can spend the time -- some September I won't be so lucky.

Phyllis -- congrats on the 1.5 GONE!!!! And thanks so much for the compliment -- I just love reading everyone's posts every day.

Theresa -- sadly I do know how to open my computer. One summer a few years ago I was lucky (??) to help build about 60 computers -- so I am familiar with the inards just afraid of how dirty it will be -- and I do know better Its like this spring I knew I had to move the fridge to clean behind but I was dreading it -- turns out it wasn't so bad after all but I doubt my poor little computer will be the same. My SIL is a Kitchen Manager for a fabulous nursing home here -- I am sure if I showed her what you posted she would pitch a fit. For her she does her best to keep the costs down but her patients comfort is the most important thing -- the menus sound wonderful.

Lyn -- being born a Johnson I always had a dream that somehow I was a long lost relative of J&J -- so far I am still waiting LOL. I know I am so lucky to be on this fabulous campus with great food, workout facilities and so many interesting things happening. Just last month we had Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz here filming -- but we get so used to the movie trucks around we tend to just ignore. Although several years ago Tom Selleck was filming and a bunch of us hung around to meet him - he was so gracious and sent us all a lovely 8x10 I still have it hanging in my computer room LOL.

Well on to another day I will check back later - -see if I go to bootcamp today. I told the instructor that I won't go outside -- not in 90 degree heat. She absolutely agreed.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #140

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning Girls,
Sorry that I haven't posted in a few days been kind of busy trying to keep things neat and ready to show. We have shown the 5th wheel several times but have only had 2 calls on the house so far. The ad comes out again in the paper for both.

I tried to get on the computer last night but had a hard time seeing!! I had my contacts give me a fit yesterday and my left eye was jsut to fuzzy to try to post anything. Better today.

Paula, so glad that your Dad got moved and settled in. I know that you must feel so relieved!

Zoe, your kids are gorgeous!! You must be so very proud of them.

Linda and Lily-- Congrats on the weight loss!! Good job!!

I'll try to get back to the computer in a bit to answer more. Still have to "baby" my fuzzy eye!!
Take care, Karen

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.” ~
Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #141
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Cat! I BOUGHT a bathing suit . Without daring to try it on, you understand. A very plain & simple navy blue tank with built-in bra and lots of spandex to hold in the bulges. My sister is coming up from NC in September for a week...
Well then, Gunga Din, you are a braver girl than I! Even with spandex squishing stuff around, the fat on my tummy would have to go somewhere, right? Visualize a balloon being squeezed in the middle...so either my chin would be resting on my boobs, or my knees would look like 2 volleyballs!!

BTW, my one and only sister also lives in NC in Winston. She has my Mother held prisoner there right now, but I get her back in November.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #142
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oh, Cat, puleeze!!!!! We who are in the know KNOW how you exaggerate your baloonish (NOT) shape. Attention! Golden Girls! Cat is NOT shaped like a baloon, and that’s that! My sister lives up in the mountains in Hendersonville. Very pretty. Lousy cell phone reception.
Karen, thanks for complimenting the kiddos. Yeah. I think they’re pretty special, myself. I’m really, really hoping your house sells quickly so you can move closer to family (and ride bike if you wanna; you really can’t do much riding in that thin mountain air, can you? Or do you somehow adjust to it? Just based on those few days I spent up in higher elevations in New Hampshire, I know I was definitely breathing harder .)
Jo-annie, I suspect that you would say my kids were beautiful even if they looked like bride/groom of Frankenstein just ‘cuz you’re my friend. Thanks, dollink.
Hey, Lyn. Wow. I want a job there, too! All that & lower property costs! I’m on my way! (You gotta promise no bad snow storms, tho!!! )
Lily & Linda D. - Congrats on the weight loss, and also on your bravery for getting on the scale . One of these days Jo-annie and I will, too.
Hmmm, Lynn. I hope your CAT scan revealed nothing worrisome. But falling apart? You? With all the horseback riding, walking, and everything else you do? Nuh-uh. You may have a few creaky joints, girlfriend, but methinks you’re in pretty danged good shape - especially now that you’re eating in such a healthy way, too.
Hi Theresa, the inspiring one! Don’t worry! You’ll be in a bathing suit before you know it! You have just kept at it, and soon you’ll be that petite little redhead we were talking about a while back. Thanks for noticing my babies. Some babies, eh? At 6’7, my son manages to make everybody around him look littler.
Hey Phyllis - nope no girlfriend in THAT picture. Maybe one of the two of them after if I can find it on my computer. She’s a teeny tiny little thing (My girls are 5’9 and 5’10). From left to right are my eldest daughter Stephanie - she’s the family therapist and was diagnosed with MS last year - so far, she‘s doing okay, although she had to have a hysterectomy a little over a month ago - poor kid hasn‘t had it easy; my son, Rich, who was supposed to be an archaeologist but has somehow become a nightclub manager (?); behind him is my daughter Dana, a clinical social worker, and on the right, my daughter Kim, who is executive director of the American Heart Association here in Mass. I made SURE that they all got proper educations, and at least with the girls, it’s paid off. I just keep my fingers crossed over my darling DS. He says he hasn’t met Paris Hilton, so I guess that’s something to be glad about, eh? Oh, Phyllis! Congrats to you, too, on the weight drop!
Gotta say I like this one, Meowee: Deprivation Inevitable Everything Taboo. Sounds like my OLD diets, anyway. I like This one is better. I don’t forbid myself anything, but I have learned to really ENJOY high fiber, low cal. Foods!
Paula, Yay about your Dad. I’m SO glad he’s been moved and that you’re pleased with the staff there. Now maybe you can exhale?
Hey Moxie! Hope everything’s okay with you, m’dear.
As for me & the bathing suit...well, like I said...I didn’t try it on, and don’t plan to until September. I got it on sale and I’m a sucker for a bargain.

Have a great evening, all you gorgeous GOLDEN GIRLIES..

TTFN,

Z

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, 'OH CRAP, SHE'S UP!'"
Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #143

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Height: 5'1"

NOT a good day - took 4 people before they could find someone who could thread the needle up my vein. Then, this evening, Dr. called to tell me the skin cancer had NOT spread, but they had found a mass in my pelvis. I tried to call the Gyn Dr. to make an appointment, but couldn't get through. I finally gave up and decided to wait until tomorrow.

Hope your day was better than mine,

Lynn
Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #144

Oh Lynn you poor thing having to wait for an appointment. I don't think they should give people news like that unless they can get them in immediately to check things out. Thankfully there was good news about your skin cancer. Hope all goes well, you will be in my prayers.
Lyn, wouldn't it be great if more of our food ingredients and calories was in Chinese, then we wouldn't feel guilty.
Zoe, your kids are beautiful and that is the truth. Now we know why you are so proud of them and you gave them a gift they will appreciate the rest of their lives when you put them all through school.
Cat - you are so funny. I got a good laugh out of that description you IMAGINED.
Paula, Yay! You must be terribly relieved. I think you deserved to have a margarita.
Phyllis, congratulations on loosing another pound!
Karen, just as I thought, you were busy with your house and camper. Selling a house is a lot of work. You never know when someone will want to see it so you have to be ready at all times.
Joanne, 100 degrees! Yuk! You made the right decision to skip your workout outside in 90 degree heat. Your health is more important. My office is cold too. I can't wear sandals to work because my feet freeze during the day.
Theresa, thanks for the congrats. It's nice to have someone the same height and goal to motivate me. I think Karen is also the same.
Meowee, enjoyed the trivia!

Hello to anyone I missed.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #145
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, Lynn, what's THAT supposed to mean? Oh, MAN, these doctors, and the medical profession in general drive me crazy! They tell you to call and make an appointment with some OTHER doctor now? Why didn't THEY set that up for you? Okay, okay. Well, obviously you're going to be worrying yourself half to death until you get some concrete answers here, and nothing any of us can say will change that.

Just know that I/we all care, okay? And keep us informed. And if there's anything whatsoever we can possibly do for you, tell us.

Z

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, 'OH CRAP, SHE'S UP!'"
Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 AM   #146
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning everybody . . .

Another humid day shaping up for Atlantic Canada. Kind of glad it's also Friday the 13th . . . Gives me an excuse to hibernate inside where it's not so sticky. OMG, I hate the humidity, even when it isn't terribly hot, it just seems so totally enervating. My BGL definitely does not like it either. Yuckie.

Lynn . . . OMG how awful . . . I agree they should have made the appointment for you and given you that information at the same time as they dropped the initial bombshell. Definitely got my for you.

Here's a little FFFF for today . . . maybe it will help us all feel cooler just thinking about it????????

In the early 1900's, people were advised to sprinkle a little cayenne pepper in their socks to help keep their feet toasty warm during cold weather.

Hope everybody has a great day . . . Keep doing the good stuff, gang and I'll see you all later . . .

Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 AM   #147

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Good morning ladies.

Dear Lynn,
I am so sorry to hear your news. As the other girls have said…I hope all works out better.
And You will remain in my prayers.

I have lots to do this morning. I am sure to be back tonight, after work.
have a nice one ladies.

Start date: March 1 st. 2007 184 lbs

Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM   #148

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Height: 5'1"

Hi friends,

No, I wasn't clear - I didn't have to wait - 3 different people came in and poked around in my veins with needles before they called in the 4th person (someone from the ER) who finally was able to poke the needle up through the right vein.

I'm going scrapping today - will call the Gyno doc from my cell phone to make an appointment. I'm sure there's nothing I can do until they torture me with several more miserable tests. No sense worrying about it. I'll keep you posted. Actually, right now, you and the doctor and I are the only people who know about it. My dd & sil are on their way to a relaxing vacation - renting a barge and sailing it around the Erie Canal in NY. I will wait to tell them anything until they get home from vacation.

Check back in tonight,

Have a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn
Old 07-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #149

S/C/G: 188/176/150

Height: 5'4"

It's another cool morning here. We got rain last night just as I was going to bed. Nothing major, just a little blowing at first and then a gentle rain. It seems like we can't just have an old fashioned rain anymore, so that was nice. Why is it we have to have thunder and near tornadoes when it rains?

We went to visit my dad yesterday after my oldest grandson's Dr. appoint. He acted glad to see Ian and told him so. They had just put the speaking valve on him. They very rarely ever used it at the hospital. I asked my dad how he liked it there and he said it was too early to tell. While we were there he said he had to pee. I didn't know they had taken the catheter out. Poor guy. As it turns out he had already gone and said he didn't know they took it our either. I asked him if he had used the bed pan yet and he said he had tried, but couldn't go. He said his stomach hurt and he thought he felt hungry. They had his food on full, but it might have been time for his proteins.

Eating yesterday was about the same as usual. I had an egg, 1 slice of bacon, 2 slices of double fiber bread & oj for breakfast. Lunch was a rice cake with peanut butter. I was hungry for dinner, but didn't feel like making anything and didn't feel like going out or bringing in. I ended up making some Lipton noodle soup for us. I always add a few more noodles to the soup. I cleaned some strawberries for our evening snack and made Strawberry shortcake with lite whipped cream.

: Congrats to all you Golden Losers!!!

Theresa- where is the home you work at? The home my dad is in owns several other homes in Ohio.

Joanne- I think working in AC really makes you feel worse when you go where you don't have it. My hubby works in AC and when he comes home to a non-ac home he about dies. I on the other hand am used to it and I don't think it bothers me as much.

Karen- I hope your eye is better this morning. Good luck with the ads today. Maybe this will be the week to sell.

Zoe- Not ready to exhale yet. I still want to keep an eye on him for a while and make sure he's getting the care he deserves. I do feel a little more relaxed though.

Lynn- Good Luck when you get through to the Dr. You are in my thoughts. I understand on you wanting to wait to tell your family. We are here for you if you need to vent.

Meow- Why did you have to remind us it was Friday the 13th? Now I feel I should hibernate too and I have too much to do.

I'm off to the shower and to Walmart to get buttons and fabric to finish the rush order. I sure hope I don't forget the cat food or my cat will not be happy tonight at feeding time.

Longterm goal

Old 07-13-2007, 08:40 AM   #150
-

Aw, Lynn, you are definately in my thoughts. Getting news like that can be a blow..but keep in mind that a "mass" can be anything and not let it get to you...yeah, I know that's impossible when worse case scenarios are jumping around in your head. Just keep telling yourself is is a cupcake you ate years ago that lost it's way! Keep your thoughts positive!!!

Zoe, I've been to Hendersonville and it is lovely there. When my sister got married about 10 years ago, we went to Winston-Salem for the wedding. She was in her late 30's and her husband in his 40's when they married. Neither had been married before and they came up with a great idea. Neither of them wanted a big lavish wedding, but wanted all their family and a few very close friends there. So, what they did was to book a bed and breakfast for several days. Both families were there staying in the BandB. We got there on Friday, the wedding and wedding dinner were on Sat. and we just visited and sight "seed" on Sunday, then we all left on Monday morning (including bride and groom leaving for their honeymoon) It was a great way for the 2 families to get to know each other where we could all just relax..

Anyway, my husband said Monday morning that since we weren't too far from Biltmore, we might as well go since we weren't in a big rush to get back home. So we did. I had never really thought about it, but since my kids were little, we had always had a mini-van. A couple of weeks before the wedding, we had gotten a Jimmy. We were driving through Hendersonville in the Jimmy and it was cool outside on that main shaded winding road and my son who was around 13 then, rolled down the window and put his arm out the window and was doing that "roller coaster in the wind" thing with his arm. He just thought it was the neatest thing ever and told us "Ya'll have GOT to do this..it is fun!" It was then I realized my kids had NEVER stuck their arm out of the car window before, because you can't do that in a minivan because of how the windows in back worked..they can't be rolled down, only "cracked" sideways. My poor babies had been denied one of life's simple pleasures we all did as kids. I felt the same way when my daughter was about 11 and discovered how to play "jacks". It had never dawned on me to get her jacks when she was little (I never saw them in a store to buy them) and I can't count how many hours I sat on the floor playing jacks when I was little.
So, that's my Henderville story. Next time we are up there visiting I would love to go stay in Hendersonville for a day or so. I hate cell phones anyway.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.