Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #91  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Everyone!

Welcome, Luflic! Maybe your message is on the other thread. They've moved us around a bit, so your message may be flying around cyberspace! That's GREAT about getting interested in planting a garden! I LOVE digging in dirt -always have!

Hey Lynn! That's pretty neat about the horseback riding lessons! Have a good time with those sweet animals!

On this first week anniversary of the Virginia Tech Massacre I find myself exceedingly sad. I woke early this morning and thought to myself that one week ago at 5AM every one of those 32 innocent victims were still alive but would soon be ending their lives. I am trying to understand how someone copes with losing a loved one in such a terrible way...

Cheryl
Old 04-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #92  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi Gals!
Today we ran errands in town and hit the Fitness club, I should be full of energy. I'm not! Do any of you have days where your energy level is low? It doesn't happen often with me but my past weeks calories have been on the low side, I'm thinking that might have something to do with it. Or else I'm getting old.
I'm going to post the Pineapple dessert below, I got it from W.W. years ago. I lost the original recipe and asked on the Weight Watchers site if anyone remembers it, nobody does. I made this one up from what I remember of it so you might have to tweak it.

Theresa... I just noticed you've lost 8 pounds in a short amount of time, you have "stick-to-it-ness". Good Job. Good advice to Moxie too about Fitday, I think that site is the best tool I've ever come across.

Wanna Be... You might have to put more sweetner in this recipe for Pineapple dessert.

Cheryl... I agree about being born with a certain shape and you can't do much about it. I think tummies falls into that catagory somewhat. I was very thin in my teens but I always had a slight tummy on me, it wasn't fat either, just the way my body molds around my bones.

Paula... Ahhhhhhhhh, the Cabbage Soup diet, I remember it well. I have about a dozen recipes for it, one I still use because it's so good. It's Sweet/Sour Cabbage soup and very tasty.

Phyllis... Congrats on the huge loss, 3.5 # is excellent! Did you find the Flat Wraps yet?

Ella... Consider yourself impressive!
Quote:
Okay, I hope you're all suitably impressed because I am half dead! I just finished a thirty-minute bike ride
By the end of summer you'll be the "Whiz Kid" on the block.

Karen... I don't blame your DH's preference of living in the mountains, all that clean fresh mountain air! I don't know if you hang your laundry out on the line or not, but you should. The sheets would be heavenly to sleep on at night. I use our outdoor closes lines from April until late fall, the cold winter months I hang them up in the basement. Our basement is heated and they dry overnight and smell like they've been out on the line, of course that might have something to do with my scented fabric softner.

Welcome Micky... Thanks for sharing your Bio with us and you have our sympathies on losing your sweetheart. My MIL said the worst part was turn to her DH and telling him something and then realizing he wasn't there.

Lynn...
Quote:
Wow! It's not a good idea to stay away from this thread for a couple of days. I come back and there are 3 additional pages and a new site!
It does move at a good clip and I'm so pleased to be able to talk with others my age that has drooping, sagging, aching parts like me.

Karen... I told DH that I would only part with my beloved Jeep if he purchased a little Red sports car for me, he did. I'll post a picture of it. It has front wheel drive and sticks to the road really well on ice and snow. DH has a big 4 wheel drive pick-up if the roads are really bad and we have to go into town.

Luflic... Glad you found us and please jump in. One plus you have in your starting weight, it'll drop off in big chunks if you stick to your calorie range. What plan are you using? Check out the Fitday if you haven't already. As far as a garden, it's a great way to fill up on organic vegetables and it's cheap! You just don't know anymore what you might be eating. Gosh, who'd think packaged spinach was contaminated. We put in about 36 tomatoes plants and totally pig out on them. What we don't eat or give away I freeze whole and put in freezer zip bags to use in soups, casseroles, etc. I dehydrated a bunch of them last year, that worked great too, and can be stored in the pantry instead of taking up freezer space.
Just call me Martha Stewart,
Quote:
luflicHello again ladies, Wrote once before and subscribed to thread but I must be challenged because I did not get any response so been floundering. Hope you don't mind if I jump in with you. I can sure use the support. I am the heaviest of all of you.....
A recap I am 54 a retired teacher. Happily married for 35 years will be in Aug.
Mother of two girls who each have a daughter.
I love reading what you ladies have to say. You have given me motivation to plant a garden.....

JayJay... Our daughter looked up on the internet for the best all around family dog before she purchased "Carter", and the Golden retriever was listed as # 1. He is truly a gentle giant, weighs over 100 pounds and has the sweetest personality. I love him.

I'm going to submit this and do a new one for the recipe.

Moxie... Did you get a chance to check out the Fitday yet?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #93  
Bobbi

Pineapple Dessert
4 Serving

20 oz. can crushed pineapple
1-1/3 cup dry powdered skim milk
Yellow Food coloring, optional
8 packets of Splenda or use bulk cooking Splenda to taste
1 teaspoon Coconut extract (important, don't leave out)
2 packages unflavored Knox gelatin + 1/2 cup hot water
Put the bowl, beaters and dry milk in the freezer the night before, the mixture whips up much faster with cold utensils and ingredients. I also put the whole can of pineapple in the refrigerator the night before
  • Drain juice from 20 oz can of crushed pineapple into a measuring cup and add water if needed to make one cup of juice. Set the pineapple aside (The pineapple is folded in after the mixture has been whipped)
  • Mix juice, 1 - 1/3 cup dry FF milk, yellow food coloring (option), 1 teaspoon of coconut extract and Splenda. Last time I made this I used about 8 packets of splenda and 2 stevia packets. This is where the tweaking comes in, taste it for sweetness, add more if needed.
  • In another small bowl, soften the Knox with hot water, set aside.
  • Beat pineapple juice mixture in Large bowl on low speed for 1 minute or until it stops splattering, then turn the mixer up to high.
  • Pour the dissolved Knox gradually into the juice/milk and continue beating until mixture doubles in size and peaks form. (5-7 minutes) If the bowl and mixture is too warm, it takes forever to whip up. Keep everything very cold.
  • Fold the pineapple into the whipped mixture and put in 8 x 10 cake pan. Cover and refrigerate.
You can make all kinds of flavors, I used one cup of leftover chocolate almond coffee and 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder, (dissolved the cocoa powder first) Almond extract worked well with this combination.
Instead of pineapple, experiment with other kinds of fruit.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #94  
goldengirl

Default Lurking on the outside

Hi,
I have been reading all of the posts for about a month....unsure about jumping in, just as I also stay on the edge in terms of commiting to weight loss. It was the spot for "over 50's" that finally got me involved.
I am 57, working as a manager in social services, happily married with two adult sons, and as big as I have ever been... and afraid to get on a scale (like if I don't know how fat I am, then I am not fat???). Just can't fit into anything I own, not even my "very fat" clothes.
Any suggestions on how to get over this barrier?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:00 PM   #95  
Bobbi

Remember the Beach Boys song about:
Go Granny, go granny, go granny go!
Thats me in my little red sports car
that my 15 year old grandson thinks
he's going to get. Nope!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 12-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #96  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

Hello Ladies...Welcome Mickey & Luffic

Bobbolink.....I think loving cars is a woman thing, my step son said he wouldn't keep a car very long because his wife would get attached to it!! I have had to accept the fact that I had to get a new one. (cry too)

Karen & grammpauls....I have tons of yard work to do....and probably fall will come and it will still need for someone to do. But I will do what I can.

Ella, JayJay....glad to hear you don't lose the bike ability. I am determined to get on mine..(have to fix it first...it is about 50 years old and I got it about 10 years ago and got so much flack that I haven't done anything with it since. But I think you are giving me courage!!

I have to decide what to do with the too big clothes. I have lost and regained so many times that I am afraid to toss out the oldies, but know I must if just to make a committment to myself to not regain this time. Some need to boot, and some I will use for all the painting I expect to do this summer, but....some....are in good condition....and one has only been worn twice.

By the by....on a game show today the question was asked how much do you spend on a clothing budget a year. The correct answer was 10% of your budget. (WOW...I'm so far behind I should be able to buy a clothing store by now!!!) How much do you think you spend on your clothing budget??

Dancing with the Stars is on tonigh...I don't usually get hooked on these shows, but this time I did...must watch to the end.

Writing my exercise on the calendar sure helps...thx for the tip....looks great to see how well I have done in spite of the lapses from time to time.

floridarusty...small plates sure do make a lot of difference...I didn't think it would, but a full small plate is so much more appealing than a sparce big plate.

I burned a lot of trash today...including some old (3 years old) fireworks. If it hadn't been for all the rain yesterday, I couldn't have done it. It was a lot of fun...I really had to laugh at the experience.

Love to all.....
Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Hello everyone.

Welcome Mickey and Luflic, and Nancymac looking forward to getting to know you.

I am glad to hear everyone mostly had nice weekends.
It was just to nice to be in the house. We were outside most of the day. Me, not in the sun much… ouch! Just a little sun.

No walking, no biking. But… I did play with the granddaughter. She is a riot.

Went to Curves today.

Weighed in at 173! again. so I changed my ticker.
That’s 11 pounds in 7 weeks. could be more. But I will take it.

I went to the dr. this morning for blood work.
Hopefully by Friday, I can quit one of my meds.

I also saw the nose dr. today. I have to have a sleep study done Thursday night.
I don’t think apnea is why I snore. but I am going to find out If it is apnea.

The dr. was hinting that its my weight. I have always snored. even when skinny! what a jerk.

Ok. I feel better now. some people just rub you the wrong way.

You girls and your activities…. Riding bikes, horses, etc. I think I am going to have to look for some other things to do now… Just to keep up with all of you.

You won’t believe the cereal and cereal bars that Curves is trying to sell now. It has sugar (with every name under the sun) and Hydrogenated oil. AND varnish. Ewwww!
The cereal had 2 gr. of fiber. and the bars had none!

They could have made some effort to make it healthy. dd says that they do it to keep you fat… so you keep going to Curves.

Bobby
that cake looks Yummy! cant wait to try it. And your, go granny go. To funny. cute car!

Moxie.
“”By the by....on a game show today the question was asked how much do you spend on a clothing budget a year. The correct answer was 10% of your budget. (WOW...I'm so far behind I should be able to buy a clothing store by now!!!) How much do you think you spend on your clothing budget??””

Wow! 10%. That means I get to go shopping??
No shopping yet. I have to loose more weight. And get out of my FAT clothes. Then… watch out!

Well, Its been a long day. Hugs to everyone. Sorry I am going to bed.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #98  
On my way to 160!

Hi Everyone!

Moxie -THIS time was the first time that I RELIGIOUSLY got rid of every piece of too-big clothing AS SOON AS IT WAS TOO BIG. It is a personal statement (and a promise to myself!) that I will NOT be needing those big sizes EVER AGAIN! Before, by KEEPING all my larger clothing I think I was telling myself that I probably would be back in those bigger sizes again. (I was!) I think weight loss is 99% mental and just 1% physical! Oh, I watch "Dancing With the Stars, too!

Bobbi -Thanks for the recipe! Can I use flaked coconut instead of the coconut flavoring? I'm a Jeep owner, too! LOVE my Liberty!!!! I find that my energy is less the day following a weight lifting session, particularly if I upped my weight or my reps. My son who lifts regularly always increases his protein the day of his heavier lifting and has a rest day from lifting every other day.

Welcome NancyMac! Don't worry about the scale for now! Just keep moving and eat less. Soon those clothes will be looser and you'll feel better. The scale only gives you a partial picture of weight loss! You can lose inches without losing pounds. I do it all the time.

Ellabella -I am ALWAYS surprised how sore my rear and especially my sitbones are after riding bikes when I have been away from it for awhile.

Hope everyone had a good day!

Cheryl
Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone--- This is going to be kind of short tonight. My DH was terminated from his job today! This after being there for 17 years and through 7 bosses!! We don't know exactly what are next first step is going to be but just had to come and let you all know.

Bobbi, Just want to make a quick comment about your "lil' red car!" that is so cute!! I'll bet you have fun driving it!

Well, not to sure how much I will be posting here in the next few days but will try to keep in touch with everybody. We're still about 3 years from retirement. Maybe not! Karen
Old 04-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #100  
On my way to 160!

OH, Karen!

I'm so sorry to hear that your husband was terminated from his job!!! Guys have SUCH a tough time when that happens, especially if they did not see it coming. I hope all will be OK for you both! Please keep calm and TRY to be positive about things even if everything seems crazy.

You guys are in my prayers!

Cheryl
Old 04-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #101  

Default Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate that!
I have not done much exercise lately, but that will change now that the weather is getting nicer. We were at the lake over the week end, but due to an infected finger I didn't do much. But when we go there, I stay so busy and swim everyday. That will help me!
I have journaled for the past week. I find that helps me a lot.
I went to Curves for about 1 1/2 years and enjoyed it, but then the Dr sent me a gym because of back problems. They have improved and I do the exercises at home now. In the summer, I would rather get outside...I walk the track at school. I find that and swimming does good for me.
It will take awhile for me to get all of your names straight, but will eventually!
Thank you for all your caring and support...glad I found you!
I will weigh in on Thursday night and will post my Loss then. I am thinking positive! I have been losing slowly for several weeks.
Have a good night, everyone...stay focused and WE WILL SUCCEED!
Mickey
Old 04-24-2007, 05:35 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 179/

Height: 5feet 2 inches

Hi Karen31
I am so sorry your husband has lost his job I know how hard that is. I hope that things settle down for you soon and that you can get things sorted out, it turns everything on its head but it will get sorted in the end.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:30 AM   #103  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Karen! Oh Jeeze!!!! That is SO hard! I'm not going to offer up any platitudes, because right about now, I'm guessing you're both pretty much in shock, and it's going to take a little adjusting before you decide which way to go from here. It's got to be a little scary, I'm sure. Just know that I/we care very much, and that you are in our thoughts. Seventeen years is a long time...is there some age-ism involved, or is the place re-organizing, maybe? Will he be eligible for unemployment at least? Just be kind to yourselves as you work through this, and check back in with us whenever you can, okay?

Bobbi! You are tookewl, honey! The last time I had a sports car was before my third child was born, and she's 30 this year. (Good grief!!!) I had an adorable little MG Midget that I absolutely loved. It was the prettiest teal blue with a convertible top, and completely impractical...I had my two oldest kids, and one would sit in the passenger's seat and one would be in the boot. I'll tell you, for it's size, that was a heavy little car. It held the road like bigger cars never do. I used to drive it even in winter, although most people stored them during the snowy weather. I used to drive right up hills and past everybody else stuck half-way up when we had snow and ice storms. I worked then, as a social worker for the state Dept. of Social Services, and I can remember driving up to a foster home to visit a kid, and this great big dog came racing across the yard - he stood a good head taller than my car!!! I thought it was pretty funny later, but when he was attempting to drag the car into the back yard to play with - with ME inside, I wasn't exactly having great fun, let me tell you. I blew my horn, and they finally came out and pulled him off. Jeeze! Great car, though. I could go for MILES on a teaspoonful of gas. Wish I had it now.

What is decidedly NOT a great car is a Mazda RX-8. Do NOT ever encourage anybody to buy one of those stinking things! They are the cars from ****, and you have to fight tooth and nail with the manufacturer to get them to honor their warranties. My DH (who is my DS's stepfather; my second husband) took my DS car shopping back in 2004 to get DS a college graduation gift from us. I had told them to get something dependable and economical. (I was thinking Toyota Corolla, or something similar). They drove into the driveway that afternoon in a brand new, bright red RX-8 - one of those futuristic stupid cars with the passenger doors that open UP instead of out....I didn't know it at the time, but the TIRES alone cost a couple of hundred dollars apiece! We finish paying that puppy off THIS year, and let me tell you, I can't WAIT to see the back end of that one. Anything that COULD go wrong DID go wrong, up to and including needing a new engine about a year ago. WE had to end up paying for it - $6,000 - to get it out of the freaking garage, and then fight with Mazda for six months to get them to cover it. It uses more gas than a ten-wheeler truck, too - and now that my DS is living out in L.A., which has just about the highest gas prices in the country, he's not a happy camper, either. I think he's going to be thrilled to jump into a little Corolla, now. I guess life is full of little lessons, eh?

Welcome, Newbies....LOL. I'll be back later, as I'm staying home today from work....MY car needs a little work.

Have a great day, all, and keep on losing!!!!

TTFN,

Ella
Old 04-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

Karen,

I am not good at saying the right thing on paper. but will try.

Just want to say how sorry I am for you and your hubby.
It is a very difficult thing to go thru.
Catch your breath.
Reaccess you options. Fight for Unemployment!

God Is watching over you. Eventually this will pass.

Prayers for you. and Hugs.
And an over your shoulder.
Be with the family. It helps to be with loved ones.

We have Been there a few times.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #105  
Lifetime Loser

Karen, that is terrible news. There is no company loyality anymore,having 17 yrs. in with the same company use to mean something. It happened to my brother in law after 22 yrs with GM....forced retirement.

I believe things happen for a reason and down the road this may turn out to be the best thing for you two, I pray so.

Hey nothing wrong with early retirement if you can do it.

Hugs, Phyllis
Closed Thread