Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/135/125

Height: 5.5 feet

Default Flirting with diabetes even though I am a healthy BMI

Ok guys, I haven't been around for awhile. I am currently at a healthy BMI and as far as my Dr says should only lose about another 7 pounds. I have to guess that would be in order to maintain healthy bones as I am in my 40's now.

I have been prediabetic for over 2 years now. I am going back on my "no sugar, grains or potatoes" diet again tomorrow after being off the wagon of it for over a month. I only made it to 7 weeks as it was though

I still have though, and have had before while even thinner (after dieting)- fat rolls on my stomach that do not go away. I always read about how "belly fat" causes diabetes- even though I am by far a more pear shape (with broad shoulders though... sigh!). Also I read a lot about how you can't lose fat in a specific area but this is exactly what I need to do- I mean I can't even afford to lose that much more weight, unless I get the go ahead from my dr. I am currently 5'5 and 132. So, not a whole lot left to lose, I think.

I also have a challenge due to an eye condition- any exercises that put my head lower than my heart or pressure on my upper body can be dangerous for me. I don't want to get into the why's of it.

So, anyone else have this dilemma, at least with the belly roll thing? I mean I read over and over that even if I were to do sit ups or other such exercises it would do nothing about the fat.

It is discouraging.

I was always either on the upper end of a healthy BMI or maybe slightly overweight much of my adult life and then obese/overweight for a few years. I topped out at 186 and have since lost over 50 pounds.

Last edited by snapple; 08-18-2017 at 12:13 AM.
snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:13 AM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi Snapple: I am wondering if you really have belly fat, or excess skin? The weight loss you have achieved, usually comes with a little flab left over, from overstretched skin. I am thinking some planks to help the muscles in that area, and if it really bothers you, consider plastic surgery to get rid of the "stomach apron" that may still be there.
Pear people (the fat goes to your hips and thighs) still battle weight problems, but are less likely to become diabetic and have the other risks associated with obesity.
Have you done a glucose tolerance test since losing the weight? and I also wonder how old you are.
You have done your best with weight loss, and doing well with what you eat, overall.
Remember that becoming diabetic isn't your fault, we have issues that lead us to unhealthy (for us) eating, and our body's reaction to certain foods isn't the usual, and that leads us to diabetes more easily than other folks.
I hope you are able to keep active generally, thats a big part of keep blood sugars normal! most aerobic exercise shouldn't put you at risk, brisk walking, running, bike riding etc.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #3  

I have a lot of depression and my exercise is non existent. I am also totally nocturnal with terrible sleep and insomnia. Antidepressants are bad for me for reasons I can't go into here.

They affect another condition I have.

Well, I did say I was in my 40's... But don't want to impart my exact age

It isn't skin, I don't think because I have seen pictures of how that looks and that's not really it. I also have pretty much the same thing going as back when I lost weight 2 other times- but only went from maybe 150 to 127. So not drastic enough to cause that loose skin look.

I have always had the huge thighs and but of a pear complete with saddlebags (which I have to be near underweight to get rid of and I absolutely loathe them).

I was thinking of last ditch effort being to try the diet I was on for a couple months- no sugar, grains or potatoes- and then maybe cut out most saturated fats as well ( that's the bad kind right?)... cut out red meat and bacon, sausages, other processed things like that.

Last edited by snapple; 08-18-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I think you're on the right track going lower in carbs. Have you ever watched "Sugar, the bitter truth" by Dr. Robert Lustig on YouTube? It's long (about 1 hour) but worth it- it will totally change how you look at processed foods, fruit juices, alcohol, and sugar. It really explains how all that affects your body's insulin response, and how it damages your arteries, causes fatty liver, predisposes you to diabetes, etc.

My last blood labs showed that I was .1 away from being pre-diabetic, so I understand the frustration. I never was close to pre-diabetes when I was bigger, I lose all this weight and now I am? What gives. My doc said not to worry about it for now and we'll re-test later. But I still feel like I need to cut carbs. I really don't eat much overall carbs but the ones I do eat are pretty simple and fast digesting- potatoes, yams, rice. So I need more complex carbs, less simple carbs, I guess.

Good luck!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #5  

Thanks for chiming in folks.

Ergh so frustrating to lose weight and then get that news huh?

I disagree with the dr as well, I think "don't worry" is bad advice. I mean a lot of folks would take that to mean "Don't change a thing". I mean not worrying but taking some healthy steps is one thing but that's not how most will take it.

Being totally sedentary is on me, for sure. I am so fatigued all the time though that lately getting it not the shower and up and dressed is a feat all in itself.

I mean I should really just suck it up and get on the mini stepper a bit each day, I can do it while i watch tv...

And cutting carbs can only help. I tend to also go a bit low on blood sugar... guess I have to be complicated. So I have to take care with exercise and honestly if you have ever had a low blood sugar episode it feels like death and I am almost afraid to exercise.

Last edited by snapple; 08-18-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I'm wondering about how your home is set up. I work on call, so sometimes am up all night working, have a crummy sleep during the day, go to bed early, wake up at 4 am, or just plain have insomnia and wake at weird times in the middle of the night.
I won't go into insomnia remedies, I am sure you have tried lots of things, (if not and you want to discuss, I am happy to go there) .
I do get on my treadmill at 5 am sometimes, and do housework stuff on my lower level (ranch bungalow with walkout "basement" which really is not a basement) while DH sleeps. With the bedroom door closed on the upper level, I can also do a lot in the kitchen if I want to cook etc.
I get the depression stuff, I have struggled with it too, lately doing the best I have done with that in years, but I certainly remember the feelings and numbness. I also found that increasing vitamin D and using a SAD light while on the treadmill helped some.

I was asking about age, because as we get older, we get a "menopot" and without sometime like plastic surgery, hard to get rid of it.
I am jealous that you have stuck to your weight loss plan to lose so much, and that gives me hope, but envy too! good for you!
I think a lot of people with saddle bags do find that spot liposuction is the only way to get rid of them.
Please don't think I am an advocate of these treatments, I have never had any of that, but thats the only treatment I have heard of to work for those issues, when weight loss was adequate, and at 5-5 you are not even overweight now.
best wishes,
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #7  

It is my theory that diabetes is in part caused by excess calcium in the blood stream. A couple of years ago I came across a study that shows that high intracellular calcium was associated with insulin resistance. How you say? Well every cell has insulin receptors and those insulin receptors get clogged with unabsorbed calcium. Normally, when you eat sugar, your body releases insulin and the insulin connects to the insulin receptors in your cells, allowing sugar to enter the cell and be used for energy. When these receptors get clogged insulin and sugar gets trapped out in the blood stream unable to be used. Do this long enough.. you need increasingly large amounts of insulin and, eventually, the receptors are totally clogged and you need injections.

Circumstantial evidence that this is correct?
- Vitamin D helps calcium absorb into your bones (and thus not in the blood stream), it also helps insulin sensitivity.
- Magnesium helps calcium absorb into your bones (and thus not in the blood stream), it also helps insulin sensitivity.
- Vitamin K 2 helps calcium absorb int your bones (and thus not in the blood stream), it also helps with insulin sensitvity.
- Calcium Channel blockers (calcium channels are how your cells get calcium), are associated with increased insulin sensitivity.
- Type II seems to happen more as you age so that much longer to have small amounts of calcium accumulate on your insulin receptors.

Up your vitamin D, magnesium, take K2, and reduce any extra calcium you are taking for a while and retest. I don't see how it could hurt. These co factors usually make sure any calcium you do have is properly distributed to the bones.

Last edited by AnnRue; 08-19-2017 at 06:16 PM.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote