General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 7"

Default Packing for cruise -LUGGAGE HELP

For years I have been traveling with a 29 inch suitcase that has two wheels. I am a terrible Packer I always overpack.

I decided I wanted to get new luggage with four wheels. I bought a 29" and a 25" Samsonite luggage. When I got home I noticed my 29 inch was much bigger than my old 29". I realized there may be an oversized problem. When I measured it it measures a total of 63 in. Delta only allows 62 in. This includes the wheels and the handles. This is going to cause oversized and maybe overweight fees totaling between $100 and $200.

I returned both pieces of luggage because I wanted a matching set and the 29 in just wasn't going to work if it was too big. For the past few weeks I have been trying to find a large piece of luggage but I've come to realize that all 29 inch luggage when you measure it including the wheels comes out to be 63 inches.

I am going away for 11 days and there is no way I can pack size 3x clothes in a 25 in suitcase for 11 days. I have been on YouTube looking at countless videos of how people pack for a cruise but the problem is most of them are much smaller than I am.

I can't believe the amount of anxiety this is causing me because I really don't want to have to pull my old suitcase with two wheels any longer I just wanted something easier.

What size luggage do you use when you are traveling for over a week to warm climate. I really don't wear dresses I only have one that I may bring with me.
2feelbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:48 AM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Well I'm on the far end of the spectrum on the other side. I've been told many times I "pack like a guy". I carry my purse (which is actually a little leather backpack) that has anything I refuse to check- medications, electronics, passport, etc. And I pack a gym bag (the little duffle type) with everything else. I really don't need much when I travel, and I prefer to go light. The advantage of going somewhere warm is my clothes get smaller since I'm typically not covering my arms or legs up much. Note this is for air travel, I've never been on a cruise.

Now- for a cruise, I can see you'd need some extra stuff. Some nice clothes for the fancy dinners, etc. Could you maybe get by with two 25" suitcases? Also- consider if you really need that many clothes? I've found that if you mix and match your pants/skirts and tops you can come up with multiple outfits and people really don't notice. I usually only take 3 pairs of pants (including what I'm wearing) and 3 shirts but I take undies and socks for every day. I rarely take more than one pair of shoes. That's for about a week. I might toss in an extra shirt or two if for longer. And bear in mind you might want to shop while on the trip, including for some clothing as souvenirs, so you might actually want to go a little light.

PS- bring the dress. I'm a serious tomboy but I've found that skirts/dresses are so much cooler in hot weather!

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 07-25-2017 at 12:49 AM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #3  

That's what the man at Delta said take 2 suitcases. Dragging 2 25" suitcases is ALOT I may take the 25" and my OLD rolling carryon that has 2 wheels because the same problem comes with the carryon. It has to be 43"

Now I know the last time I was on a trip EVERYONE had carryon on luggage This no is the norm. Again I was away for the weekend and I think I had my big suitcase.

One thing I'm going to do is stop watching all these YouTube videos of what to bring on a cruise. It's not like I haven't been on a cruise before but you start watching these videos and let me tell you YOUTUBE WILL MAKE YOU BUY STUFF. I have 2 bags of STUFF I 've bought already and they're not even clothes.

Oh Woe Is me.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #4  

Hi I love to cruise and am the same size . I give my suitcase to the first porter I see outside the terminal. In my carryon I have all medicines and papers needed. I pack a black knit dress black skirt 2 or 3 blouses. underwear They have beautiful inexpensive dresses in the Keys if you are going there. If you pack knits and cotton blends very easy to wash in cabin. I have only had a 7 day cruise . would love to be with you. Some cruises have laundry rooms in them.
classykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #5  

Default I got a suitcase

What size is the suitcase you give the porter?
I never thought of giving the luggage to the porter outside what happens if it's oversized are overweight.?
Yesterday I bought some luggage from Marshalls I have a 28 inch and a 21 inch piece that has four wheels. The 28 inch when I measured it out comes to 60 inches which is perfect and it also expands. We're going to be on the cruise for 7 days but we're also going to be in Honolulu for 3 days there is no laundry service on the cruise guess I'll be doing a little bit of laundry.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #6  
05/01/2023

S/C/G: 232.6/232.6/150

Height: 5'6"

I don't think there is a size limit for the porter. The last cruise I went on was an 11-day cruise and I gave the porter two large suitcases and tipped him $2 for each piece of luggage. I also had a carry-on. The carry-on must fit through the x-ray machine. Mine barely fit. I'm not sure of the size of the x-ray machine but you could probably find it on the the cruise line's website. I'm not sure how big my suitcases are since I don't fly and never had to measure them but they hit my waist when standing (I'm 5'6"). Also, if you haven't visited Cruise Critic yet, I highly recommend it. It's a message board for cruisers and they'll be able to answer all your questions.
AllyG47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

I've never had a problem with weight or size but that's mostly because I flew before getting on our cruises. However, if you are really concerned you can go to their webpage and find out. You shouldn't need to do any laundry if you're taking huge bags. I pack very heavy and still have clothes I didn't wear by the time I get home. Have fun! Be sure to snorkel in Hawaii!!!!!!!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:53 AM   #8  

That's where I'm worried about the problem is on the flight they are the ones that have to wait and size restrictions. I think I will be okay with this 28 inch that I bought because it's measuring 60 my smaller one I bought two match is a carry-on and a carry-on can't be more than 43 I think when I measured it it's 45 I'm at the point now I'm just not going to worry about it anymore I bought a lot of new clothes new luggage going to Hawaii I'm just going to have fun even though this is my second time going to Hawaii my husband wanted to go because he's never been.

I even joined GLOBAL ENTRY . The only part of global entry that will help with this trip is pre-check for TSA so I don't have to stand on that long line next year we plan on going to Europe Global Entry speed you through coming into customs
Old 07-28-2017, 12:55 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyG47 View Post
I don't think there is a size limit for the porter. The last cruise I went on was an 11-day cruise and I gave the porter two large suitcases and tipped him $2 for each piece of luggage. I also had a carry-on. The carry-on must fit through the x-ray machine. Mine barely fit. I'm not sure of the size of the x-ray machine but you could probably find it on the the cruise line's website. I'm not sure how big my suitcases are since I don't fly and never had to measure them but they hit my waist when standing (I'm 5'6"). Also, if you haven't visited Cruise Critic yet, I highly recommend it. It's a message board for cruisers and they'll be able to answer all your questions.
I did join Cruise Critic and also shipmate I deleted the Cruise Critic one and just kept shipmate app it is very helpful.