Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #1  

Default I'm desperate, I'm tired, I need your help!

Hello, I'm new here and I need some moral support and/or wisdom from you, guys!

I'm 23 and all my life I've been somewhat fighting my weight and self image. Not to go too deep into details- I've been through binge eating/starving, went down the "I messed up again- but I guess if I puke It'll fix it and NEXT TIME I'll be better" road, managed to stop it on my own, then went the "24/7 fitness and diet" road for a change. I was 21 at the time and had some divine strenght in me. I found HIIT workouts, I started counting calories, I gave up alcohol for almost 6 months- and I looked and felt GREAT. But, as the time passed by, I started to be so tired of it. Because, let's face it- 1,200 cal/day, HIIT workouts every second day, no alcohol is NOT sustainable. It gave me some fast results, but let me tell you- it was physically and mentally exhausting. And the worst part was that I just couldn't give up on it, because of the fear of going back to my previous weight. I guess my real problem was my lack of acceptance for myself.

Now it's better. I still have pretty high standards towards my weight, but I see these destructive mechanisms the moment they show up. And, throughout the time I took to take a break from obsessing over my looks, I gained some weight- nothing crazy, but enough to make my summer clothes fit a bit worse than before And for the first time, I don't feel the urge to run 10km a day and count every single calorie, which is such a relief and success for me.

But here's the thing- even though I've been searching all over the Internet, I can't seem to find any sensible advice on how to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way that won't make me want to kill for a teaspoon of sugar after a week and eventually eat a whole cake. I'm not interested in any specific diets- I was on Dukan diet for over a year and it was NOT fun, especially since I couldn't keep the weight off after finishing it. I just want to know what REAL people, not fitness gurus who look like celebrities for a living and basically advise to do the same, do to lose a bit of excess weight when they go a bit crazy with treating themselves. I really don't want to go into that whole "ok, it's time to get FIT FOR SUMMER!" mindset, because a) I'm afraid I'll go way too intense into that again, and b) I find that these super specific regimes give you the effects you want... but then what??? I either go back to old habits or keep dieting until I can't do it anymore, then binge, then panick and go back on the diet... You know the drill.

I'm so sorry this post is so long. I just wanted to explain everything properly and help you understand my problem a bit better, because I really feel like I need to... well, I need to learn how to function in a normal way. It sounds horrible, but it's a step forward, right?

Thank you so much for any help or comments
pieskotkura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:40 AM   #2  
mjf

You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight. If you focus on eating the right foods, and don't eat when you're not hungry, then you'll lose weight. I'm not sure exactly how much you should be eating because it depends on several factors (weight, height).

There are many healthy diets, so you don't need to follow a specific one, and you don't need to avoid carbs if you don't want to. There are just a few simple things that most healthy diets have in common:

Avoid sweets (or anything with added sugar), refined carbs, deep fried foods, and highly processed foods.
The majority of your diet should be vegetables, protein (e.g. eggs, fish, lean meats), and (if you're not on a low-carb diet) whole grains (e.g. brown rice, quinoa).
Some other healthy foods that you can eat are fruit, nuts, beans, and greek yogurt.

If you want to post a list of foods that you eat, I might be able to give you suggestions of what to change. If you stop eating sweets, you'll stop craving sweets within about 2 weeks, so it gets easier (although you don't need to give up sweets completely; an occasional sweet won't ruin all of your progress).

How much do you run now (since you stopped running 10km a day)? Instead of focusing so much on cardio, I'd suggest doing both cardio and weightlifting. Weightlifting will help you build muscle, and having more muscle makes it easier to burn fat.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/136.0/115

Height: 5'1"

First of all, I totally sympathize with the disordered thinking. It sucks and messes with your head.

But to answer your question, I'm a real person losing weight via normal foods and I eat pretty darn normally. Actually, I still eat more sugar than I would like--it's my one Achilles heel, I'm afraid--but I do a lot of whole grains, meats, dairy, lots of fruit and veggies especially, just trying to eat a balanced diet. And that for me includes dessert because otherwise it wouldn't be sustainable for me. It's been a while but I've been slowly overhauling the way I eat. It's a long process, if your taste buds are used to junk. If they're not, it's a lot easier. And most importantly I LIKE how I'm eating now and can sustain this long-term and still be happy with my life. A typical day for me would look like this:

breakfast: frosted mini-wheats and milk (sugary cereal gets a bad rap but it's so dang fortified it's really hard to get enough of some nutrients for me without it)
lunch: a sandwich, or a quesadilla stuffed with veggies/chicken, smoothie or a piece of fruit, some munchie veggies (like carrots and hummus) or a small salad or something. If I'm planning in dessert then I'll usually do it after lunch because that suits me better, something like a piece of chocolate or a scoop of ice cream.
dinner: something like ratatouille, beef stroganoff, pork chops with roasted zucchini, chicken with a yummy sauce... the usual entrees, always with a veggie or two. I like cooking and I'm turning into a bit of a foodie so I don't shy away from using full-fat dairy and stuff. A single portion really isn't very many calories and tastes so much better to me! And I can't stand whole grain pasta so that's my concession to white flour.
snacks: greek yogurt, nuts, a slice of toast, etc
This works out to between 1350 and 1550 calories a day for me.

For exercise I try to aim for a half hour a day six days a week, although that's frequently longer (I take a ballet class and ice skate every week in their respective seasons, or walks with my hubby often are longer). But that's my bar to clear when I'm working out at home, because gym passes aren't in my budget and I'd rather work out at home anyway.

I track my calories using the USDA's supertracker. It's a clumsy tool in a lot of ways but it has this really nifty bar graph that shows 4 cups of fruits and vegetables (1 1/2 and 2 1/2 respectively) and honestly just trying to reach those basically ensures you eat healthfully. If you're not eating salads, that 2 1/2 cups is hard to reach! But Eating Well is another great resource; they have tons of recipes and meal plans that are tailored to various needs (1200, 1500, 2000 calories, gluten-free, whatever dietary needs you can think of). One of the things I've heard is making sure your plate is half veggies and fruit at dinner, which is a decent, if rough, guide. You may want to find a nutritionist too who can help sort out all the ins and outs of your particular tastes and needs.
Princessroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #4  
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessroja View Post
And I can't stand whole grain pasta so that's my concession to white flour.
There are several options for healthy pasta. Have you ever tried quinoa pasta, or black bean pasta? Maybe you can find one that you like.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #5  

First off, don't "diet". Second, don't count calories nor weight yourself more than a couple times to once a month. Third, be flexible with yourself in a Positive way. Fourth, right now just focus on maintaining yourself rather than losing weight...both in eating and working out. You really need to see yourself as (insert eating disorder) as an addict/alcoholic does...always are but you can be recovering! Don't allow becoming healthier to be about weight, let it be about simply improving your health every day. I have always went up and down, went through different periods of bulmia and/or anorexia esp while in my teenage years/early twenties. For me, and we are different, the times I did shed the extras in a healthy way was when I just let go and was...happy. (I'm completely aware it's an awful time to just be happy sometimes, especially for some of us). It's a balance that you don't obsess about unduly
Tayfam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/136.0/115

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
There are several options for healthy pasta. Have you ever tried quinoa pasta, or black bean pasta? Maybe you can find one that you like.
Oh, I'm sure I could. I just don't care that much, honestly. I'm not shoveling down pasta by the cupfuls every day, so a cup or two of white pasta a week is just not worth bothering about to me. If I try those eventually, it'll be because I want to try them for their own sake and not from avoidance of something else.

Last edited by Princessroja; 06-02-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Princessroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #7  

May I inquire your weight loss goals? Where you are now and where you want to be? I'll share mine if it makes you more comfortable. I'm 39, mother of 8 who is currently teetering between 199-210 on any given day. I'm 5 ft 2-3 depending who measures me lol. Last Feb I was 228 lbs, not my biggest ever but my second. I'm looking to get to 150 lbs, and yes technically that still puts me as "overweight" but I really don't care about being super skinny...just healthy enough to see my great grand babies be born. There's plenty of "sinfull, forbin in diets" food you can absolutely eat as long as that's not the bulk of what you eat. It's crazy that you mention HIIT exercise program that's what I've been doing lately...and got bored very quickly. The single lasting thing I got from that program is I will NEVER, EVER do squats again lol. I have chosen to just dance to music I like instead. I love to dance, and when I hurt so bad the next day it doesn't matter Bc it was for something I had fun doing and will do over and over again. Your journey is going to be completely different from everyone else's....what you eat, the activity you do, how you see it...which is exactly what it should be. Just allow yourself to welcome any and all not you advice a simple mulling over. Some will be for you and much won't but the support is amazing.

Last edited by Tayfam8; 06-07-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #8  

Oh, and I just figured out my weight gain and slow losing was attributed to my rum consumption...I was horrified by how many calories I consumed just drinking occasionally.

Tags
binge, binge eating