General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

Default Bright Line Eating - looking for a support team

I used to be an avid poster here some years ago. I managed to lose 180 pounds over the course of 2 years (YAY) I managed to gain back 90 of it over the last 6 years (BOO). You can read about my initial journey in my signature if you are interested. But this post is not about that.

I am looking to form a small support group of folk who want to give an honest go with bright line eating. This is how I lost my weight in the first place, although at the time there wasn't a word for what I did. I just went with what felt right and all these years later, there is a psychologist who has coined the term 'Bright Line Eating' and is creating fantastic, science-backed content that supports what I already know works for me.

If you don't know what Bright Line Eating is, there are 4 free videos that sum it up amazingly and a book you can buy on Amazon, etc. The author also has a (too expensive for me) boot camp that you can sign up for, but she says it is not necessary as all the info is available in the videos and book. The reason I am here looking for interested parties to form our own support circle is because from what I can tell, that is a big component of the boot-camp and is what I will be missing out by not joining it.

If there a few of you out there who want to commit to helping one another, specifically with these eating ideals in mind, lets figure out what kind of support we can lend? It doesn't matter how much or how little you want to lose.

Here is the link to the page: https://brightlineeating.com/ Take the quiz and see where you are on the food susceptibility quiz (I am the highest at a 10 ... sad). As a heads-up, I have gotten 4 emails in the last 2 days after taking the quiz because she is trying to sell boot-camp tickets which just opened. I personally don't mind these emails because I am determined to make eating changes.

One nice thing with this, by the way, is that it doesn't tell you what to eat. You can follow whichever actual diet you already follow (for example, I am Whole Foods Plant Based) and it will work for me just as it will work for a meat eater, or a gluten-free person, etc.

Even if there is only 1 person who is interested, I really want to talk to you! I feel like having someone to talk to who is on the same path will be so important to long-term success!
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Hey, I'm bumping this thread to see if there's anyone else with any interest in this. I'm gearing up to start soon and I would love to see others involved in a single cohesive thread.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

She has put out a video with some rules on naming any unofficial groups....picked that up on associated FB page. you can PM me for info.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 236 / 226 / 190

I don't want to be negative, but just taking a cursorary look at this program... it doesn't seem much different to many others.

It seems to be all around strict self-control, willpower, and cutting out sugar, refined carbs, weighing your food, etc. and removing certain trigger foods completely. Sounds familiar? It should!

Every other program that has similar (or identical) methods have exactly the same "success" in the short term, and very poor success in the long-term once everyone has fallen off the wagon. However, it also claims to identify your weak spots, etc. using psychological techniques and explain the source of cravings. Yet again, this has all been done before, with no particularly astounding success in the long-term ever proven.

Also, some of the claims are clearly just marketing speak, "the Bright Lines of sugar and flour rewire and heal the addictive centers of the brain so you can live free of those relentless cravings". Um, does she really mean that if you cut out sugar and flour, you'll crave it initially but ultimately get used to it? If so, that's rather less radical than "rewire and heal the addictive centers of the brain", which sounds like you're going to get your brain zapped by some Star-Trek-like medical device.

While the copy brags about everything being based on science, almost everything on the website smacks of heavy-handed marketing.

It's presented as if it's some sort of amazing revolutionary break-through. But in reality, all I see described on her site is the same old ideas recycled and cobbled together, plus she's thrown in a few explanations of how the brain works (that we'll probably realise are innaccurate in some way in 20 years time). The methods used (avoiding sugar, weighing foods, etc.) have always worked short term but always had poor long-term success.

Why should this be any different?

Well, apparently, all I need to do to find out is give her my e-mail address and send her some money.

I think I'll pass.
AlfredLarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #5  

Alfred, I have done this now for 32 days and lost 15lbs which is quite respectable for a 62 year old post-menopausal grandmother who has failed many times over and have talked with others (some on the phone) in my age band who have found success here where they have failed before. I am finding that by following the directions (and I have tried MANY approaches - South Beach, WW, Atkins, Calorie Counting, Zone, etc. that did not work for me) I am not having any cravings, which is absolutely a first* and the very structured approach has greatly helped me and also accommodates my desire for vegetarian meals etc. I am eating healthier than I have for years! 1.25lbs of non starchy vegetables a day, .75lb fresh fruit, 1oz dry of a whole grain and between 50 and 80 grams of protein.

Is there marketing hype - yes - a lot of it but you can also succeed with simply the book ($9.99 on kindle or $15.00 hardcover) and following the guidance. I gather the other gives you a support network as well as videos on new topics etc. A lot of people have just bought the book and found, like I have, some free unofficial support groups. Others who have done the 'boot camp' speak highly of the experience. I have not done the boot camp.

So? There is a lot of marketing and there is marketing on a lot of plans here. She is tying together a combination of psychology, neuroscience, and nutrition info and hiring a staff to provide support etc.. She has not made any big new breakthroughs but has woven them together in a program. I am not sure there are any real breakthroughs to be made. Most people see this as a lifestyle change and it is actually very do-able. I found counting calories extremely tedious and this takes out all the juggling and guesswork. Over the years I am sure I will be armed with some solid recipes and be capable of eyeballing my food properly. It actually does not work on willpower it works on "bright lines" or specific behaviors you do not breach and on structure.

So...none of the other plans I mentioned worked for me. I don't feel compelled to slam them. There are many ways to get to a goal and, thank you, I do not need what appears to be a relatively young man [and I can assure you this journey is typically much easier for someone younger and with testosterone-even my husband realizes he can quickly lose weight with some minor changes] who is not extremely overweight telling me I am being duped. I spent too much time following the guidance from people who have not "walked the walk" to know I have to surround myself with those who have been there and found success.

Is it for you? Probably not though I am not sure why you feel compelled to slam it since you have no experience with it.

*ok, I did not have cravings on Atkins but I was so disgusted by the food because I really don't savor meat.

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-24-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Alfred, I have done this now for 32 days and lost 15lbs which is quite respectable for a 62 year old post-menopausal grandmother who has failed many times over and have talked with others (some on the phone) in my age band who have found success here where they have failed before. I am finding that by following the directions (and I have tried MANY approaches - South Beach, WW, Atkins, Calorie Counting, Zone, etc. that did not work for me) I am not having any cravings, which is absolutely a first* and the very structured approach has greatly helped me and also accommodates my desire for vegetarian meals etc. I am eating healthier than I have for years! 1.25lbs of non starchy vegetables a day, .75lb fresh fruit, 1oz dry of a whole grain and between 50 and 80 grams of protein.

Is there marketing hype - yes - a lot of it but you can also succeed with simply the book ($9.99 on kindle or $15.00 hardcover) and following the guidance. I gather the other gives you a support network as well as videos on new topics etc. A lot of people have just bought the book and found, like I have, some free unofficial support groups. Others who have done the 'boot camp' speak highly of the experience. I have not done the boot camp.

So? There is a lot of marketing and there is marketing on a lot of plans here. She is tying together a combination of psychology, neuroscience, and nutrition info and hiring a staff to provide support etc.. She has not made any big new breakthroughs but has woven them together in a program. I am not sure there are any real breakthroughs to be made. Most people see this as a lifestyle change and it is actually very do-able. I found counting calories extremely tedious and this takes out all the juggling and guesswork. Over the years I am sure I will be armed with some solid recipes and be capable of eyeballing my food properly. It actually does not work on willpower it works on "bright lines" or specific behaviors you do not breach and on structure.

So...none of the other plans I mentioned worked for me. I don't feel compelled to slam them. There are many ways to get to a goal and, thank you, I do not need what appears to be a relatively young man [and I can assure you this journey is typically much easier for someone younger and with testosterone-even my husband realizes he can quickly lose weight with some minor changes] who is not extremely overweight telling me I am being duped. I spent too much time following the guidance from people who have not "walked the walk" to know I have to surround myself with those who have been there and found success.

Is it for you? Probably not though I am not sure why you feel compelled to slam it since you have no experience with it.

*ok, I did not have cravings on Atkins but I was so disgusted by the food because I really don't savor meat.
Thank you! I just typed my own long response, but I think it's best to just say that people could stand to do more research before bashing what other people are doing. I thought this was a support forum, not "Does it Work?"
Old 08-25-2017, 07:59 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
Thank you! I just typed my own long response, but I think it's best to just say that people could stand to do more research before bashing what other people are doing. I thought this was a support forum, not "Does it Work?"
Research and be quiet, listen and observe. IF someone is doing something dangerous of course speak up. But if not adding something constructive....
Old 08-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #8  

OK so good news--I decided to go ahead and start today! No point waiting until after Labor Day. I might have some trouble while traveling but I decided that's not a good reason to put off starting. And with a week under my belt at that point, I know my choices will be better than if I just waited until after the trip to start.

I found a bunch of BLE people on Instagram, and I highly recommend signing up for an IG account if only just to follow BLE there. There are so many great meal ideas. I think that's the one thing I am missing with this plan, just meal ideas and what this plan looks like in real life.

To add on to my previous post...you absolutely can do this program without even spending a dime. I actually read the book for free through Hoopla, a program for electronic resources many public libraries offer for free. I'm sure I could have requested an inter-library loan if they didn't have Hoopla or a physical copy. So I read the book for free and took notes. Then after pondering for a few days, I decided I wanted to try out the program. At that point, I decided to purchase a copy of the book that I could keep and refer back to. But I absolutely did not need to, I just wanted the convenience. And then I decided to sign up for the 14 Day Challenge for $29. Again, not something anyone needs to do but I decided it would be a good motivator.

So I have invested about $40 total into trying out BLE. What a scam, right? Except I spent more per month to be part of WW for years and years, and that got me nowhere (well, it sure was fun to laugh about how none of us lost weight). And there was a lot of pressure at the meetings to buy WW products and snacks. At least there are no BLE-endorsed snacks they are pushing. How on earth would BLE profit from encouraging people to buy apples? People, I tell ya.

Last edited by Amy8888; 08-25-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #9  

PM me with the instagram link and I can PM you with two good size FB groups.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #10  

I have some travel trips. You can buy small boxes of prewashed salad greens for a salad at the grocer (I normally buy the best heads of romaine I can find for daily use). About 5 oz then top with your veggies (which you can also buy cut up and weighed) You can get grilled chicken breasts though one big breast is usually about 2 meals. oil and vinegar seems to cover best for a dressing. I have also bought some quality lunch meat (you have to be careful) and shredded that into my salad.

For cooked veggies just ask about added oil. This is a LOT of vegetable matter in one day. breakfast is pretty easy though 6 oz of berries is a lot of berries (or other fruit)........

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-25-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/185/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm in! I'm going to PM you granny & Amy!
groovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #12  

PM'd you back!
Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #13  

grannynancy, do you mind sharing the names of the FB groups? I just signed up for the 14 day challenge and am getting my journal together and looking for meal ideas before I start. TIA��
mprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy8888 View Post
Hey, I'm bumping this thread to see if there's anyone else with any interest in this. I'm gearing up to start soon and I would love to see others involved in a single cohesive thread.
I have the book
classykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #15  

PM me if I don't get it by tonight. Rushing to get out the door. I had posted them but I guess it got deleted.