Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 269/255/140

Height: 5'11

Default High Cholesterol

I'm not sure if there is a better subforum for this (my apologies if there is, I've not been around here for a while and seem to have forgotten my way around a bit) but...
So I just got diagnosed with high cholesterol. My doctor didn't give me a specific number, but he says it's high enough that he wants me to exercise and eat healthier, but low enough that he's not going to put me on medication.
Since this JUST happened literally this morning, I'm still trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat now and it has me wondering--for those of you in a similar situation, what recipes and resources do you swear by?
Thanks!
FredZesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hi Fred,
You are wise to deal with this now before it becomes a bigger problem.
I use recipes I like and adapt them.
Instead of butter I use ghee or clarified butter. It is butter heated and then the clear liquid is removed. The clear liquid has the evil trans fats. You can even do this yourself google it.
When you have beef it needs to be grass fed and antibiotic free. Like me you live in the mid west. Invest in a freezer and buy some from your friendly farmer. Some stores say it is grass fed but they fail to mention they feed it grain the last two months. Grass fed is good for you just like wild meats. Heart dietitians will tell you the same thing. chicken, turkey, fish and especially salmon are all great.
Eggs are no longer evil. Do some research. It is amazing all the things we were taught with no scientific backing.
Eat your veggies and try to stick with the ones above ground and go very easy on the potatoes.
Do not buy" low fat" prepackaged foods from the store. They are full of sugar to make them taste better. Sugar makes your triglycerides go through the roof.
Find out what foods your body thinks is a great sugar treat. Things like milk, bread, soda, energy drinks, baked goods, cereals,... all up your triglycerides.
Keep your servings of fruit small.
Try not to snack as this does not give your liver and pancreas time to clean and rest. With high cholesterol this is more then likely already a problem.
This is not a death sentence it is an opportunity to live a longer healthier life.
Save the splurges for special occasions.
You can do this and enjoy it!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Forgot to add that dietdoctor.com has great recipes!
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #4  

How old are you? Commonly, hypothyroidism is the cause of high cholesterol. Unfortunately, the tests of the medical profession miss a large percentage of people who are really hypothyroid.
Mrs. Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #5  

Default Control cholesterol level

It's easy to eat your way to an alarmingly high cholesterol level. The reverse is true, too — changing what foods you eat can lower your cholesterol and improve the armada of fats floating through your bloodstream.

Doing this requires a two-pronged strategy: Add foods that lower LDL, the harmful cholesterol-carrying particle that contributes to artery-clogging atherosclerosis. At the same time, cut back on foods that boost LDL. Without that step, you are engaging in a holding action instead of a steady — and tasty — victory.
sanym111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #6  
Warrior Princess

Hi, mine was very high (genetic) so I've been on Statins for several years. People think being overweight or obese is the cause but I was actually at a size 6 and running 5 days a week when they finally told me I had to get on meds because it wasn't going down. I've had my thyroid checked too, high cholesterol runs on my Fathers side of the family.

Anyway, it's basically anything from an animal - meat and dairy you need to limit. Red meat portions no larger than a deck of cards and watch dairy intake. Eat foods like Salmon and veggies. Try fish oil supplements too. Good luck.

Last edited by novangel; 05-01-2018 at 01:27 PM.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #7  
Shellay

S/C/G: 13 st 6 lb

Height: 5 ft

Default High cholesterol

Hi. I have just been diagnosed with high cholesterol. I dont have numbers or anything yet. But looking for any advice from anyone out there as to how I can reduce this. thank you
shellay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:32 PM   #8  

The best option is tom do exercise and eat olive oil
javfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:23 AM   #9  

I keep myself away from food and focus on doing yoga instead
enriquecruz8519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #10  

Do Exercise and Yoga daily. Also, follow dieting.
Gary017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:19 PM   #11  

4 mg for high cholesterol doesn't seem a lot. I was taking 40mg of Simvastatin for a cholesterol

level below the average! Do you have an aching deep in your arm or leg muscles?

May I suggest that you first of all change your doctor and then research this product carefully.

After that research how to reduce cholesterol without statins and then make a decision.

In 2011 I had a heart attack and put on statins. My weight was 13st. 9lbs. The aching began, I researched,was horrified, read the many stories of people suffering side effects and told my doctor I wasn't taking them. She didn't persuade me against my decision.

I started losing weight which I thought, Great! I kept on losing it slowly but relentlessly and I am now 8st. 5lbs and look like a Belsen inmate.

The problem is if you stop the statins you risk a heart attack, if you don't you may live longer but believe me it will certainly FEEL longer!

Do all your research and then decide. In the end only YOU can do that.
Torbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:16 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredZesty View Post
I'm not sure if there is a better subforum for this (my apologies if there is, I've not been around here for a while and seem to have forgotten my way around a bit) but...
So I just got diagnosed with high cholesterol. My doctor didn't give me a specific number, but he says it's high enough that he wants me to exercise and eat healthier, but low enough that he's not going to put me on medication.
Since this JUST happened literally this morning, I'm still trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat now and it has me wondering--for those of you in a similar situation, what recipes and resources do you swear by?
Thanks!
Helo! I had to make a decision to have a better quality of life. I had to give up sweets and carbohydrates to normalize cholesterol and triglycerides.
catsilva is offline   Reply With Quote