Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-16-2017, 06:56 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: January 16 - January 22

The snow has all melted. We even had a day so warm that I had to sleep in a T-shirt since long sleeves felt hot. This is the point where I start to think that winter won't be so bad - completely forgetting that all of February is sitting there.

My goal is to make it through the week without extra snacking - an issue when I have stuff to do that I'm trying to avoid.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

One of the younger relatives in my family has adopted the vegan diet. We had vegan cupcakes at her birthday last night and they weren't bad.

I just bought two vegan cookbooks so that I can prepare tasty meals that everyone can enjoy when she and her family visit. I don't think I'll have time to cook this way during the week but I'm going to try an east Indian dinner this Sunday night for DH and myself, just to start testing this cooking style.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

While I don't go all vegan, I do eat a lot of vegetarian dishes and enjoy them a lot.

Friday, we had rain from before sunup to after sundown. It never stopped. Steady all day with spurts of heavy rainfall. In all, we got close to an inch of sorely needed rain with little flooding. We're expecting more this coming weekend. It sure disrupts golf, but I'm no complaining.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #4  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

I eat almost entirely vegan, and the DH is glad to have whatever I make. I did make a fantastic (if I say so myself) vegan lemon-orange upside down cake this weekend (we still have citrus from our trip down to my parents). Not the best thing for calorie counting, but it's the weekend so I'm able to get lots of exercise to balance out.

Colleen Patrick-Goudeau's Joy of Vegan Baking is a very good cookbook. Her savory cookbooks are also good, in addition to Veganomicon and Thug Kitchen's books.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #5  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

The last 3 days it has rained then frozen over every night, and our street is not paved. We now have a surface that we can literally skate on (my 15 year old tried it this morning). The only way I can drive my car down the street to the main road is to keep 2 tires on peoples' lawns. Good grief, the weather is crazy.

Bill, I have learned that I use crunchy food exactly like that: anytime I have to finish a report, answer painful emails or read a boring article. I eat WHILE I do the unpleasant task, to make it more tolerable. Does Judy Beck have any solutions for this issue?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 AM   #6  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

It's very mild here and bulbs are pushing through with gay abandon. 10C (50F).
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I envy you! I'm working in freezing rain today - the worst of both weather worlds . Would rather it were just rain.

Dagmar of
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I remember that happening when I was growing up in Utah. March would bring some warmer weather, the bulbs would all pop out and bloom and then BLAM! a huge, wet snow storm would make a mess of everything.

We're expecting more rain this weekend--just in time for the Obama's to visit.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Andrea-- do you all have to go to work/school?! If, so, be careful!!!

JZJ-- my dd gave my other dd a Thug Kitchen cookbook for the holidays. I was surprised but humored by the vulgar language! My dd loved it and has used it several times already.

My DISH (TV) went out this weekend. We've had nothing but frustrations with the service and I'm tired of the cost. When I called, they couldn't send a repairman out for a week. So, I cancelled it. Boy, talk about hard sell then! They should have cared about keeping a long term customer a little more before I got so frustrated.
I had the equipment in my garage for Comcast XFinity but had never hooked it up (I got a package deal for internet and TV that I couldn't pass up). So, I DIY'd it but couldn't get it working. They are coming out tomorrow to activate the cable (so it wasn't me). In the meantime, I've been watching netflix only using my chromecast. I was looking for some new shows and my dd suggested Dexter and Hart of Dixie. I watched one episode of each last night. VERY different shows but I enjoyed both. I also finished Stranger Things. Quite scary and weird but I enjoyed it too.
It's weird how quiet my house is without the normal TV buzz. I usually have it on upstairs in the morning when I get ready and at night when I go to bed, but that TV won't work without cable. So, very quiet.....

We are supposed to get another deluge starting tomorrow which should prove interesting with Ellie (the anxious Doberman) and the cable person. I won't be able to put her outside and they need to get right by her kennel. We'll see how that goes.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote