Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #1  

Default Need Advice

Anyone can please tell me about Weight Loss surgery. Is this surgery safe?
hollyrose062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 228/220/120

Height: 5 feet 1 inch

Its absolutely safe! My brother and my mother went through it about 3 years ago, gastric bypass and sleeve respectively. I've actually just had the sleeve less than a week ago.
Esam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200-194-150

Height: 5'7"

Default Yesssss!!!

it really IS Safe!!! i had a Gastric Bypass back in 2011, i was up walking the floors within 1 hour AND i took 2 Weeks off Work to Regain My Health??? i could have gone back in 1 Week! Reeeeeeeeeally!!! it really IS Safe!!!
lili777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:34 AM   #4  

It is totally safe.
ChristinaBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

From WebMD: (this is specifically about bypass surgery)...

Recovery and Potential Complications

After gastric bypass surgery, people typically stay in the hospital for 2 to 3 days and return to normal activity within 2 to 3 weeks. About 10% of people have complications, which are usually minor and include:
Wound infections
Digestive problems
Ulcers
Bleeding

Nearly 1% to 5% of people have serious or life-threatening complications, such as:
Blood clot (pulmonary embolism)
Heart attack
Leak in the surgical connections with the intestines
Serious infection or bleeding

The risk of complications is lower at centers that do more than 100 weight loss surgeries per year. Deaths in the month following gastric bypass surgery are very rare (about 0.2% to 0.5%, or less than one in 200 people) when the procedure is done by a highly experienced surgeon.

Other health problems can also happen as a result of the surgery. For example, not absorbing as much of nutrients like iron and calcium can cause anemia and osteoporosis. But taking nutritional supplements and getting blood tests can make that less likely.

Last edited by yoyoma; 04-19-2017 at 06:56 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/163/145

Height: 5'10"

^^^ This. That's a great answer right there.

As always, if you have any questions, your doctor is your first stop. S/he will be able to tell you all about how it works, what your recovery time would be like, and where you would be getting it done (and how good they are at it).
Keika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/139/152

Height: 5'5'

Read up on everything you can about it and your doctor but it is safe safer than being overweight good luck
INVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I have considered the gastric sleeve because it is considered safer than the full bypass surgery. I am not having it right now but am considering it if I can't get the pounds off by diet and exercise alone.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 229

It's very safe. I had gastric bypass in 2007, lost about 100 pounds, regained about 50, working that back off now.
Tibbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 AM   #10  

They told our son it was safe too. but he was one of the "exceptions". He had the full gastric bypass and never had a really well day for the rest of his life. He died of septic shock from a necrotic bowel 12 years later, and he had regained most of the more than 100 pounds he lost. I hear a lot of successes, but I know how bad it can go.
scooters mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 AM   #11  

Yes, Weight loss surgery safe for us. Weight loss surgery is a method of treating fat will making a small hole at the abdominal region.This process is quite advanced and painless. It's very effect way to reduce weight.
ashu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 395/303/264

Height: 5'4

Default Research, Research, Research

I had bypass surgery in March and I had no complications and the weight is coming off. I think the key to success after the surgery is research about the procedure and understanding why you gained the weight in the first place and working on that as you prepare for surgery.

I had to confront (and still deal with) my emotional eating issues. The surgery is only a tool. You have to learn how to eat healthy and how to do "mindful eating." I think I am one of the few who have to work out to maintain the kind of loss I want. If I don't workout, the weight loss slows to a crawl. Do I have any regrets? Yes...I wish I had done this sooner. It's amazing how much energy I have and how much easier it is to get around. Please ask my any questions, I will try to answer them if I can.
Fungirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #13  

There are people who worked with them and people did not. But I advise you to get out of your bed and prepare for your doctor, he can answer your questions .. because this is about surgery and not like anything else.
YolaLendres is offline   Reply With Quote