Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 AM   #1  
~*Mandy*~

S/C/G: 330.6/Ticker/<170

Height: 5'9"

Default 08 Regainers regaining control and relosing!

I noticed the old thread was at 500 posts, so I started a new one!

This thread is basically just what the title says... We lost, we regained, and now we're regaining control and losing what we regained... then hopefully onward to goal! Things happen, and weight loss can go on the back burner while you're focused on other events in your life. If that's what is going on with you, feel free to join us. WE GET IT.
FeraFilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Mandy - Thanks for starting the new thread!

Quick check-in, then going to be super focused on work so I can make time for a gym run this afternoon.

I did run a mile yesterday. 1.12 miles actually, at 5.0 mph. It wasn't all that difficult, though it also wasn't easy. So, I am going to move to Week 5, Day 2 of my C25K app, which is jog 3/4 mile, walk 1/2 mile, jog 3/4 mile. Week 6, Day 1 is 2 miles. I don't know if I'm there yet, but I am really glad to be moving in the right direction again.

I also finally got on the scale after two weeks of scale avoidance. My highest weight ever was in May 2012, and I weighed in at 278. I have had periods of significant weight loss, including getting down to 201 in December 2012, gaining back up to about 240 by May 2014, then down to 190 by February of 2015, then back up to 263 by April 2016. Today, though, I am officially 100 pounds down from my highest weight, and lower than I have been since 2009. WOOT!

I also feel like I'm gaining my rhythm back. Instead of just eating leftovers of questionable nutritional foods for dinner, as has been my habit lately on weekends, I made myself two eggs with some feta cheese and ranch seasoning. It was so delicious! Then, when I got hungry right before bed, I had a reasonable portion of Halo Top Ice Cream. It's not that hard to make calorie-conscious, nutritious food choices. I don't know why I think it's hard. (Except it is that hard for long periods of time. Just trying to embrace the not-hard-at-this-exact-second moment. Cuz there are brownies and cake a few feet away from me that I do not need to be consuming, and I hope to make good decisions about feeding my body during the day today so I don't start madly craving the junk food late this afternoon.)

Hope everyone had a great weekend and is looking forward to a fantastic December.

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 12-05-2016 at 10:04 AM.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:25 PM   #3  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Mandy: Thanks for stepping up and making a new thread!

Laurie: Yay you!! 100 pounds down is awesome! I can't wait to make that milestone, too. I'm glad that you are back on track and ready to move forward!

For me, I am doing so much better. I still have a little pain in my back but it is almost back 100%. I finally just started stretching it and trying to manipulate the areas that were painful. I had done more reading about pinched nerves and it seemed like you're not getting rid of the pain until you relieve the pressure. So, I figured what they would do at physical therapy would be some stretching and other stuff to relieve that pressure. I figured I would try to do it on my own first and then, if it didn't work, I'd make an appointment. It almost instantly starting feeling better, so I am pretty sure I'm on the mend. I went back to the gym this morning for spin class, and it went well. I'll probably put off running for another week just to make sure I don't set myself back again.

It really is amazing to me how the ability to work out can affect my whole life so much. I already feel happier today and I'm looking forward to the other workouts. I am doing ok with food, not great. And I didn't get on the scale. I am going to put that off for at least a week. I don't think I should put it off too long, but I just didn't want to see it yet.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #4  
~*Mandy*~

I'm waffling between guilt about eating something after baby bed time, and happy that it fit into my calories and I didn't wake up wanting to eat my arm.

We got the tree up and decorated (finally, that's usually a black Friday thing) and today starts my step bet!

Nothing too exciting going on at the moment, otherwise. Just trying to plan my food today around a pasta dinner that hubby wants.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #5  

Diane - I am so relieved to hear your pain is going away. I hope that you continue to heal, and that the pinch becomes but a memory. Good on you for figuring out how to self-treat, and great that it is working. I agree with you -- my life with work-outs is almost always better than my life without them.

Mandy - Woot on the start of the step bet! I know it's been a huge help for you in the past. And I, too, have the whole issue about not wanting to avoid eating late at night, but hate waking up like I want to eat my arm. Sounds like it was a good choice for you, though, as you stayed in your calories.

I advanced on my C25K program last night. I ran 3/4 of a mile, walked about 1/10 of a mile, and then ran another 3/4 miles. Then, I kept going for a while. I mostly ran at 5.1 mph, but I did do some short stretches above 6.0, including 30 seconds at 7.0. I feel like I'm finally breaking through. I did stay late at work, and finally caved to the ever-present brownies/cake at about 9:30. Disappointed, but not overly so.

Hope everyone has a great day today!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #6  
Diane

Mandy: Glad you are getting back to your step bet! That really is a good thing and seems to work really well for you!

Laurie: Way to go on the running! I'm going to be taking a few steps back with that, I think, once I go back to it. That's ok! Glad that is going well for you. I think that it is fun once it starts getting better.

For me, I went to Body Pump this morning. It wasn't as good as I wanted it to be as I had a little pain. But, I think it is coming along. We'll see how I feel tonight! Ha! Some of the soreness will just be from not having been for quite a while. I just don't want to be stupid and cause myself more issues with my neck/back. So pathetic!! I hate injuries and soreness that hold you back. It is hard enough to make progress without something in the way that makes it even more difficult. Ugh. I'll go to spin tomorrow if all is well.

I'm more on track with food, too. It seems like workouts are key to keeping focused.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #7  
~*Mandy*~

Down 2.4 pounds since the 1st of the month!

This month is going to be challenging for me, since I'm still aiming to hit the original year end goal I set for myself, even though that means nearly 15 pounds this month. I figured the initial whoosh of water weight would be enough to get me close without losing too fast to be healthy. Though, as heavy as I am, I doubt 3 pounds a week would be a disaster... I know the healthy range is 1-2 pounds per week, and I'll be happy to settle in to that rate once the new year hits, but I really *really* want to be far enough away from 300 to have it happily in the rear view mirror by the time 2017 starts. Assuming I make 280 (my year end goal), I will have another goal of 240 by the end of May. I'm really good at losing in the winter and spring! Every time I've lost 50 pounds or more it's been winter and spring. I know it's because I moved a lot in the summer and stress ate my way through the fall/early winter holidays. But my brain is really good at equating the first half of the year with weight loss and exercise, so I'm gonna use that to my advantage.

I'm hoping the step bet will keep me going through the tough food times ahead. Everything is FOOD in December, and I'm trying very hard not to get sucked into that. Which will be extra tough because I really do enjoy baking goodies for the holidays. Maybe if I just skip the scratch made cookies and candies and use frozen/refrigerated cookie dough, I'll be less drawn to them... and instead of making 6 different kinds of cookies from scratch, just make one or two. We'll see. It just doesn't feel like Christmas to me unless I have storage containers full of cookies to set out.

I hope you ladies are having a good week so far.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #8  
Diane

Mandy: Good for you on the weight loss! I think you can make your goal by January. It won't be easy, but I think you can do it!! I'm like you, there are just cookies I like to make for this time of year. I've cut out some of what I've made in the past, but there are some that I have to have around. It wouldn't be right if they weren't there!!

For me, I went to spin this morning. I was hoping to work out some of the soreness from lifting on Tuesday. It helped some, but I am feeling it. My back was a little sore, but not too bad. It seems to be getting better and better. I'm planning to go tomorrow, but then not go on Friday. I just don't want to go back to yoga just yet.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #9  
~*Mandy*~

Christmas baking is the best!

Okay. My jeans still don't fit right. None of them. Not even the ones I wore when I was 40 pounds heavier. It's like my hips are twice as wide as they were or something. Thanks, kid, for that gift. I guess my body doesn't escape carrying and delivering a nearly 10 pound baby unscathed. I can get them on, and up, and fastened, but they just fit really weird around my hips. I'm sure part of it is living in dresses and leggings for over a year, but still. Uncomfortable. And I need to be able to wear my jeans. It's getting too cold to wear dresses and leggings, heh.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #10  

Diane - So glad to hear that you are moving upward and onward from your injury. Glad to hear the Body Pump didn't seem to have made it worse, and glad you're getting back into rhythm on the exercise. I am concluding that, at least for me, success with running requires patience. If I push myself too hard, I just dread doing it, and I don't want to dread something I try to do several times a week. So, in my world, taking a few steps backward is just part of the process, and my willingness to take a few steps backward is the only thing that keeps me moving forward. If that makes sense. Hope your injury is soon just a memory.

Mandy - Woot on the loss! I agree -- three pounds a week is well within the realm of healthy loss. I don't think the rate is ever so much of a concern, in fact, as the method. If you are making nutrition choices that keep your body functioning well, and supplementing it with exercise to increase the rate of loss by a bit, then that sounds like fantastic success to me! (Of course, as you have witnessed, I tend to lose fast and gain fast, and have actually never had success as losing slowly, though I've tried it many times. So my thoughts may not be all that helpful.) Making progress during the holidays should really set you up for the traditional winter/spring loss. I can't wait to celebrate with you as you continue your success. Oof on the jeans. Maybe consider thrifting? I feel like I'm living in the thrift stores lately, but probably only feel that way because I don't love clothes shopping. I, too, was complaining today that my favorite jeans no longer fit, so it looks like another trip to the thrift store for me. Not thrilled by the prospect, and sad to say goodbye to these jeans, but excited, I suppose, to be in a smaller size again.

I am spending a lot of time making sure I eat well and exercise properly. I think my job is suffering from it some, and I know my husband complains about the amount of time I spend in the gym and taking evening walks. At this point, I am thinking I want to hit about 130 and evaluate whether I want to continue losing or gain a bit back. So, I have roughly fifty pounds to lose before I start to figure out maintenance stuff, and that will take at least six months to accomplish. I need to evaluate what I want in my professional life and maybe come up with some strategies to decrease the amount of time I am spending on weight control. I also need to find a way to compromise with my husband. I need my evening walks. Even in this wretched cold, I feel compelled to walk, as it tends to help my digestion process and just help me feel better. This needs to be a forever thing. My weight has not caused serious health problems in the past, but it has threatened to do so. If I am not healthy, I need to adjust the amount of work I do anyway, and I won't be able to spend as much time on husband/family, so I need to continue to be proactive about my health.

No solutions for now. Just starting to think about long-term. And, of course, as I consider adjusting what is currently working in terms of weight loss, I am freaked out at the thought of losing focus on weight control and gaining it all back yet again.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #11  

Good morning!

Posting late yesterday and early today means back-to-back posts for me. Since yesterday's post was LONG, I will make this one fairly short.

Super cold here, but still going to go outside for a couple of walks during the day. Probably short walks. Lifting tonight. Trying to make good food choices. Nothing new or particularly exciting, but it's nice to be in a routine.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #12  
~*Mandy*~

I've been over 11k steps for 3 days in a row! According to Fitbit and MFP that means I've been earning 500+ calories extra via exercise. Wooo!

AND I'm feeling pretty good because it looks like that eye cream I decided to start making is a winner. (here's a before and after - both with light make up) So that feels like success!

Anyway. Food is going mostly okay - with occasional "crap, why did I just eat that?!" moments which I usually catch before I do too much damage. You know, one piece of candy or salty carby snack instead of a pile of it. Log it and move on.

I'm also going to be adding over night oats to my routine, as a healthy, filling breakfast. I found several recipes that look yummy and I'm looking forward to starting that habit! Especially when I do have anything for breakfast it's usually just a cup of coffee, or a pop tart if I can scarf it down before the little decides he wants it, heh.

I hope you all are having a good day!
Old 12-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #13  
Diane

Mandy: Oh yeah, I forgot about that part of having a baby. Things definitely shift. Even if you lose weight, it is just distributed very differently. Looks like your eye cream is doing well, too! Nice!

Laurie: Those sound like good goals and plans for the upcoming year. I think you've got this figured out! Will just help keep you on track as you go along!! That's what we do for each other!

Not much new with me. Just kind of coasting. All good!
Old 12-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #14  

Mandy - Woo hoo on crushing the walking goals. It can be so hard in the cold, so it's particularly impressive that you're finding ways of hitting it. And I love me some oatmeal. Let us know how the overnight oats go. I have heard good things, but have never actually tried them.

Diane - I love that you're reporting coasting rather than neck and back pain or frustration with nutrition. Woot! Hope the running is either going well or will soon go well too.

I gave blood this morning, which is notable because I am so seldom able to get my iron high enough to do it. So, something's working. I haven't felt dizzy or nauseated either, so I'm feeling good about that. I lifted last night. Going to run this afternoon. I was frustrated with my husband last night. Really, really wanted to go downstairs and eat everything, which would have caused heartburn issues and general discomfort, not to mention calorie issues. Instead, I played a stupid FB game that required the use of my hands until I was finally able to go to sleep. It seems like a small thing, but it's pretty big in my world. Maybe I will avoid going backwards this holiday season.

Last edited by LaurieDawn; 12-09-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #15  
~*Mandy*~

Re: Walking in the cold... I have an old Wii game (and by old, I mean copyright 2009) that is a 'walking' game where you earn coins for taking steps then use those coins to build the city, buy new music, etc. It's really cheesy, but it's effective. It's walking in place, but it gets the job done when I'd rather not be out in single digit wind chills. I spend an hour every afternoon 'playing' the game (read: walking in place to the beat of fast pace music) and get about 8000-9000 steps depending on the song selection, and how much over or under an hour I stay.

I still have a goal of being a runner. I want to be able to enter a 5k, run the whole thing, and actually finish it. It's a long way out, but I think I can do it.