Old 08-30-2016, 01:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/185/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Lord, where's that time machine?

I need to go back twenty years when everything didn't hurt like it does now, and weight was easier to lose.

So far on this journey this year alone I've injured my right knee, both ankles, my left wrist, and my left upper arm. Two MRI's later and I have tendonosis in my arm and spinal stenosis also. I have a wrist brace but it hurts more to wear it. I have a knee brace also, but I'm bad about forgetting to put it on.

And this heat. My estrogen levels are so bad. I'm miserable in this heat now. I'm on low-dose estrogen (I had a hysterectomy in my thirties), and while it's helping the night sweats, being outside is no different.

I have horrible social anxiety from PTSD and Asperger's. I'm just not good with people face-to-face. But damn. I'm thinking maybe I should try a gym and hope there's a nice personal trainer there who can help me not hurt myself any more. I'm so stubborn though, I'll probably ignore the pain and hurt myself anyhow. The arm is from resistance band training. The knee and ankles from hiking not nice trails and long distances. The wrist is from doing PT for my arm, lol. Geez. Feel like I can't win.

But I did drop a few pounds this week. I'm trying - struggling, but trying to be more mindful about food. I was diagnosed with body dysmorphia, so I'm struggling with that too. I'm pear-shaped. With a belly. It's not flattering in anything I own clothing-wise. But I'm dealing with it. I just wish I could get my roomie to understand that the places he likes to eat at are too fattening for me to even have a hope of ordering for myself (side note: he takes me with him on weekends he's off to get food in exchange for keeping the house clean).

Getting old sucks. I really wish I could go back twenty years. I'd take ten years though at this point. Anyone else near GA dealing with insane heat and estrogen issues? Injuring yourself trying to get healthy? Good grief.
JadeAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #2  

**** yeah!
I can totally relate to all your points. Why does everything hurt these days? 😂
I'm 47yo, I'm bigger than ever before, I need to buy myself bigger clothes because I struggle to find anything that I can fit into for work, but just hate the idea. I'm short, fat, getting old and I'm miserable.
I know I need an attitude shift, I just wish I had the energy and motivation to do it!
Good luck & take care 💐 Sally x
Chunkychick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Yes I can relate to the hot flashes, everything hurting and hormone ups and downs. My anxiety level was so high this weekend that it was a struggle to get out of bed and most of the time I spent hiding in a room by myself because I could hardly speak without crying and that freaks my hubby and kids out. They do not get the ups and downs of menopause or being a female period.
AND the weight, omg, its cement. i swear, the pounds just do not want to budge and it sure gets frustrating. I know I cannot give up but some days I do not do so well and then beat myself up for cheating. Its never ending.
Keep your head up and keep trying. Maybe stick to light exercise like walking or and elliptical until your healed.
Best of luck to you.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/185/150

Knew I wasn't alone in dealing with this ****.

Hormones. Jesus. I don't think I had emotional outbursts like this when I still had my cycle! I know my boobs didn't hurt as bad. Menopause can go take a flying leap ... My doctor may have to adjust my dosage, I think.

So I hiked two days in a row, around 5 miles each day, trying to take the easier routes. And then today my smart self said "hey, let's ride the bike." Yeah, that was a mistake. Knee isn't happy with me. But I rode an hour and went 13 miles ... See, this is what I mean about being stubborn. I do things with full knowledge that they may not be the best thing I need to do. I blame the Army - they grilled that whole 'pain is weakness leaving the body' BS ... if I could get out of that mindset, I'd be better off I know. But it's hard when it's all you know. My physical therapist has a field day with me about it.

I'm working on cleaning up my eating too. And working on being mindful about eating, as I said. I've got clothes in my closet right now that I want to be able to wear again!
JadeAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 AM   #5  
starting over again

S/C/G: 361/334/180

if you like the idea of a gym, may I suggest pool exercises? I did some when I was very pregnant even, and saw lots of people of all ages in the classes and it really is excellent resistance to build muscle tone.
lostbutstilltrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 331/191/170

Height: 5'10

Pool exercise is great... lostbutstilltrying is right - used by all ages and you dont have to swim
you can water walk / aqua jog (deep water with a belt ) or do aqua aerobics
its really good for sore knees and hips too

I take aqua jogging / aqua fit classes where I work so if you want some idea what to look for in a class

these three things are the biggest things to look for

1. an instructor who is doing more then going through a routine - corrects body position and makes sure you are doing it right

2. it has a core section = or tummy section everything else can change

3. Has a warm up - at the start a cool down and stretch - especially the stretching section at the end.

things that can help
* when you start its about keeping moving taking time figure out technique - ask if your not sure
* if it feels to easy try doing more by doing it a bit faster - be careful with this not to over do it until you are sure of your body
* if its too HARD (easy one to tell ) try go slow still make sure your not just going through the motions when you slow it down but are still working
* if something hurts tell the instructor they should be able to give you a modification to assist or an alternative exercise

AND - this I recommend you do - even if they do not ask - if you have an injury or a strain please tell the instructor, also its a good idea to check with the DR especially if its something you have done recently

Last edited by Karencat; 09-20-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Karencat is offline   Reply With Quote