Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 306/301/150

Height: 5'7"

Smile Hi everyone! Not new, but starting again....

Hello! I joined 3fc way back when, not even sure of the year now.. 2011 I think. I am not sure what happened that made me not follow through with the weight loss... regardless, I'm back.

Unfortunately, in the past 5 years, I've put on an extra 40+ lbs. Most of it has been since September of 2015. I had emergency surgery on Labor Day... major surgery with complications. I was sick and fighting to get better all winter. I'm fine now, but it's been a long hard road. And I am so overweight and out of shape that I'm unable to do much as far exercise. Though I have started walking. Not very far at a time, but it's a start.

I am going to be doing low carb/Atkins. My sister has lost close to 100 lbs on it, and kept it off. It's amazing to me. I'ts taken me a while to get my head in the game so to speak. To get the motivation to DO this. But I think I'm there. I hope so. I've been needing to make major changes for a long time.

I'm really looking forward to connecting with some people here.
Pinkhorseofcourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Back! Glad to have someone else doing Atkins!
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:53 PM   #3  

Thank you!!!! I have a lot to learn though... I bet you could teach me lots. I'm just in induction, and I'm not 100% sure I'm even doing it the exact way I should.. but it seems like there is a bit of room for error. Is that true?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #4  

Yeah, there is room, mainly because everybody has a different carb tolerance. How is induction going for you? Having induction "flu"? The main thing to remember is to try just one new thing at a time, that way it is easy to determine which items you have a problem with.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #5  

So far, I feel really good. I've read about the induction period being somewhat difficult for some. Unless I'm just not to that point yet. One new thing at a time, like what? Right now, I'm just eating meat, eggs, some cheese, some veggies. I may have messed myself up today though. My boyfriend wanted to go eat Chinese.. I think I did ok. I ate salmon, chicken, beef, shrimp and some broccoli. Oh and green beans.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #6  

If you've been doing induction for 3+ days and you still feel ok, you probably won't have induction "flu". I don't ever have it, my body loves low carb.

As for adding things, I mean when you start up the rungs. So if you've just been eating broccoli, only add one new veggie at a time. When you get to nuts, just add one type at a time for a couple of days and see how you do. Sometime the oddest things will stall you. I can drink all the crystal lite and tea with sweet'n'low I want, but diet sodas make the weight loss just flat out stop. Not just stalling you, some will make you crave things you shouldn't have. That is also a problem.

Chinese is probably a good choice for eating out with Atkins. I personally don't care for it, but as long as you stick to the meat and veggie you should be fine. Are you making sure to get the majority of your net carbs from vegetables?

Last edited by MonteCristo; 07-23-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #7  

I hope you are right... I wondered though if maybe I've slipped up somewhere and went over the 20 carbs per day somehow, and that's why I don't feel badly yet...?

Ohh, I see what you mean.. yeah, Idk. I am considering doing the induction a little longer than 2 weeks... if I'm doing ok, and losing well. What are your thoughts on that?

Hmm, you mention diet pop... I had some today... with my meal. Diet Pepsi. Other wise it's water, water, water. My bf made me some iced tea this evening with Stevia.. but I haven't tasted it yet.. so I'm not sure how that will go over. And I buy the flavor packets for water bottles... but I'm very careful to get ones with 0 carbs. Mostly sweetened with Splenda or Stevia. I did buy a small bag of Russell Stover sugar free candy... like little tiny Mounds bars... coconut and chocolate. 0 carbs.. and I have only had 1 so far.

Yes, my carbs are solely vegetables. Broccoli, avocado, green beans, salad greens...
Old 07-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #8  

I usually stay on induction as long as I can. As long as I'm losing and I don't feel overly deprived I just stick with 20 net carbs for as long as I can. I'm actually still on it now, it's been 4 weeks since I restarted.

I personally find things like sugar free candy make things worse. Because just having the sweetness makes you want more. But like I said everyone is different. I usually snack on cheese and salami.

Last edited by MonteCristo; 07-23-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:28 PM   #9  

Oh good, that's what I needed to know. (it's been so long since my sister started, she kind of forgets how she did the beginning) So, 4 weeks... is your ticker accurate for what you've lost on induction?

Well, I'm not going to sit down with the bag, even though I easily could. lol They are really good. BUT, I'd rather eat one or two of those, than a Little Debbie... or something. The flavored water does a great job at keeping my sweet tooth satisfied.

I bought Oscar Mayer bologna today... but it has 1 or <1 carb per piece.. I forget now.. but it's not 0. Which makes me sad. And I bought some Pepper Jack cheese. ZERO carbs. Yay! lol

Do you exercise?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #10  

No, I was at 235 when I started induction. In the first 3 weeks I lost 11lbs, which I'm thrilled with. Some people have issues with processed meat (that have carbs) but I still eat them, my personal limit is they can't have more than 2nc per serving and they can't make up more than 1/2 my nc. I just love bologna, salami & pepperoni.

I do exercise. I lift weight using Strong Lifts 5x5 three times a week and I do indoor rowing three other days. One rest day. My workouts are usually between 45-60 hours.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #11  

Gosh, I'd love to be at 235. But I'm losing. Scales were down another 2 lbs today. 9 lbs so far. Yay! And I can totally tell in my stomach area.

I wondered that about my bologna... it's Oscar Mayer and has I think 1 carb per slice. I was wondering if I should be worried about that. NC? Net carb? Can you explain that to me? I'm going to buy some pepperoni too... and mozzarella cheese... and mushrooms. Yum.

I'm not working out yet.. other than walking, but that's been sporadic. But I do get some exercise working around here.. in the yard etc.

There was something I thought about last night that I wanted to ask you, and now I don't remember. Eesh.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #12  

Net carb is the carbs minus the fiber. The new atkins induction is 20 net carb per day and 10-15 net carb are supposed to be from vegetables.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:52 PM   #13  

Ok thank you.. I looked it up. lol