Old 06-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #1  
On Medifast 5 & 1 Plan

S/C/G: 365/284.2/200

Height: 5'9

Unhappy Worried about upcoming diabetes screening

I had a physical in November that showed my A1c was 5.8, which I was told puts me at above average risk of developing diabetes. They also tested my blood glucose and it was 88 which I learned is the normal range. Right after getting the results I was a bit scared and made some dietary changes. Then the holidays came around and I totally abandoned my dietary changes and actually gained weight in the new year.

Since May, I have been back to making better dietary choices. A few weeks ago I started the Take Shape for Life program and overall since May I've lost 22 lbs. Next week I am going to get another A1c test because I want to know if it is has gone down. I am so scared because I really just ate whatever I wanted for the first few months of the year and I know the A1c tests back to 3 months. Now that I am back on track and eating healthy I am really regretting my poor choices that I kept making even after learning that my A1c was 5.8.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? What are the chances that one month of healthy eating will really improve my A1c? I know that you all aren't doctors but I guess I just want to feel reassured that everything will be OK.
SweetEpiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

I'm diabetic, and a 5.8 is on the higher end of normal, but still a non diabetic range. Best of luck with your upcoming appointment. It's very likely that one month and the weight loss will have had a positive impact
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

SweetEpiphany, whatever you find out about your new A1c, do what you have to do NOW to keep it low. I didn't know when I was prediabetic. By the time I got tested I was in the hospital for something else and my diabetes was full blown by that time. You have the opportunity to avoid that diagnosis by knowing ahead of time that you are at risk. The weight loss will really help. Food is important, but so is exercise. If you take a short walk after a meal, even just 15 min, it will help tremendously.

Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
SweetEpiphany, whatever you find out about your new A1c, do what you have to do NOW to keep it low. I didn't know when I was prediabetic. By the time I got tested I was in the hospital for something else and my diabetes was full blown by that time. You have the opportunity to avoid that diagnosis by knowing ahead of time that you are at risk. The weight loss will really help. Food is important, but so is exercise. If you take a short walk after a meal, even just 15 min, it will help tremendously.

Good luck to you.
Very sound advice
Old 07-07-2016, 12:04 PM   #5  

Hi there, you are on the right track. Everything you are doing is going to make a positive difference in your health, including your AIc. Keep it up and all will work out for your good)) Be encouraged and keep it going.
Terry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #6  
On Medifast 5 & 1 Plan

Default A1c down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry23 View Post
Hi there, you are on the right track. Everything you are doing is going to make a positive difference in your health, including your AIc. Keep it up and all will work out for your good)) Be encouraged and keep it going.
Thanks Everyone :-) I got the results today and my A1c went down to 5.7. It's still in the pre-diabetic range, but going down. I've been on Medifast for almost a month, so I'm hoping that as I stick to this eating plan then my number will eventually go into the normal range. I feel a little relieved. Thanks for the support.

Last edited by SweetEpiphany; 07-11-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetEpiphany View Post
Thanks Everyone :-) I got the results today and my A1c went down to 5.7. It's still in the pre-diabetic range, but going down. I've been on Medifast for almost a month, so I'm hoping that as I stick to this eating plan then my number will eventually go into the normal range. I feel a little relieved. Thanks for the support.
I'm glad you are doing ok and are feeling relieved. Just keep at it, and your numbers will go down. Hugs!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #8  

SweetEpiphany, first of all congratulations on your weight loss. I was wondering if you are monitoring your blood glucose levels at home everyday. Despite what the American Diabetes Association suggests as an appropriate diet, which works fine for people without diabetes, you will need to closely monitor your carbohydrate intake. Try cutting back on bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and fill in the gap with whole milk, full-fat yogurt, full-fat cheese, medium protein intake, and of course fresh vegetables... the ones that grow above ground. Trust me on this. I lost 40 pounds and was able to reduce my insulin shots significantly. Try it religiously for a couple of weeks and see if you like it. Good health to you!
Tom.
Carbhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:38 PM   #9  
On Medifast 5 & 1 Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbhater View Post
SweetEpiphany, first of all congratulations on your weight loss. I was wondering if you are monitoring your blood glucose levels at home everyday. Despite what the American Diabetes Association suggests as an appropriate diet, which works fine for people without diabetes, you will need to closely monitor your carbohydrate intake. Try cutting back on bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and fill in the gap with whole milk, full-fat yogurt, full-fat cheese, medium protein intake, and of course fresh vegetables... the ones that grow above ground. Trust me on this. I lost 40 pounds and was able to reduce my insulin shots significantly. Try it religiously for a couple of weeks and see if you like it. Good health to you!
Tom.
Thanks, Tom. I've been following the Take Shape For Life program for about 2 months now and it's low carb. I've lost over 35 lbs and feel great. I don't monitor my glucose levels at home since they are consistently in the normal range when tested by the doctor. It's only the A1c that's slightly elevated. But thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by SweetEpiphany; 08-11-2016 at 09:40 PM.