Old 05-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #1  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Today's NYTimes article on Regaining Weight

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/he...smtyp=cur&_r=1

Here's an interesting article on weight loss and regain issues. I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from losing weight, especially those who are on P1 of IP and having success.

I consider myself a "success story" because I initially lost 80 pounds on IP and have kept most of it off for 3 years. I'm currently on a reboot for 20 pounds, but I've been playing with those 15-20 pounds for a while now.

The research in this article explains a lot about weight loss and the tendency to regain some or all of the weight.

I am so thankful for IP and the sense of control that it has given me. However, it greatly relieves to read that my loss and gain of these 20 pounds is documented scientifically and has a metabolic basis. It does not make it easier for me to lose those 20 pounds but at least I have an explanation.

Thoughts, anyone?
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Interesting, Joysh. Not surprised at all... Betcha they were all still doing very low fat and minimal protein for their maintenance diets. They will not be able to bump the leptin unless they up the fat & protein for satiety. Why would having bariatric surgery actually help that man re-lose the weight unless he were eating less food/calories than his previous maintenance diet? He would still have to fight the cravings due to hormonal disregulation. Quite a few people who have bariatric surgery regain the weight as they stretch out their smaller stomachs again and add more food. Up to 1/3 gain it ALL back.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...weight-on.html

Anyone staying close to their original goal weight especially after a few years is a SUCCESS!!

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #3  

Funny you posted this. I read the article and thought why bother going through this if I'm just going to gain it back. So I reached out to my coach and asked if this is often the case with IP. Her reply is that with IP we shut down the pancreas in phase 1 and reboot our insulin release as a result. And by doing that it actually helps to stop, slow the regain process and doesn't mess with our metabolism as much. She said the problem with weight gain after IP is binge eating and it slowly creeps if one is not careful. She also said that they often recommends an annual reboot to help the body out. The article sure got me thinking though and I'm glad my coach cleared it up.
Huben01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Repost

I have read this article before. It does explain some of the quick regain, but- for me, I did not regain when I was following Phase 4. I regained when I went back to eating sugar carbs on a reg. basis. Having to do this reboot has really changed my view of maintenance. What works in Phase 1 planning, needs to continue in my Phase 4. Cooking, prepping, and changing up my food choices. I got lazy after a year and a half and was eating the same things all the time. This opened the door for food boredom.

I have never been able to eat the same as "normal people" without gaining weight, guess I was blessed with a slow metabolism all along. It does concern me that I may have slowed it down further with yo-yo dieting. I also know that I have never been able to take the weight off before IP. Now I have even more incentive to focus on clean eating for the majority of the time, going forward.

As for IP or another program, I say whatever works for you. I really did not use IP products during Phase 4 and I totally believe that you can take off the weight using real food. One person did Phase 2, with eggs and reg protein. She lost just as much weight as I did.

Information is always good. I say we keep fighting the good fight in whichever way suits our lives.
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #5  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

I would have thought that the increased muscle mass that the Biggest Loser folks achieved would have ramped up their metabolism - but apparently the hormonal effects blow that away....

This is informative about the cravings and binges - that can be a real issue for me - I am fascinated at how I could go for a year without sugar, after that, when I had just a little taste, I was just as addicted as I had ever been, and subject to those same sugar problems that Slipfree describes.

Add some emotional stress on top of that with it's accompanying Cortisol... and here I am having regained 40 lbs, half of what I had lost over the year of P1 the first time.j

Clearly it is a lifetime struggle that involves a lifestyle change...

Ishbel was right... Losing weight is hard. Keeping it off is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/175/150

Height: 5'7''

Thanks for posting this Joysh! It is a very sobering article for those of us that struggle with obesity. The older I get the more I realize my eating habits need to change till death do us part. I've rebelled for so many years and now I'm just sick of myself. I feel so great when I eat well and live well. Maybe it is just a phase I'm in right now but I think accountability is big factor - as I was reading through the article I was thinking about how much support and accountability these contestants had on The Biggest Loser. Then they have no one and they go back to their own schedules, life, and things start to slip. The initial motivation to eat well and exercise has to come from deep inside and be strong and/or you have to have some sort of accountability. I don't know everyone's combination here but the Biggest Loser's intensity then to go back home that would be difficult - unless you had the will and also the motivation somewhere deep inside to maintain. I'm glad they had the courage to share their stories. Thanks again for posting.
stickingtotheplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #7  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

My reaction to this article is that I don't think the results are mainstream/typical. The amount of stress those contestants go through with 8 hour workout days must tax their adrenal system. They should have tested their hormones. I think that explains drop in BMR, not just typical dieting.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #8  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickingtotheplan View Post
Thanks for posting this Joysh!... Then they have no one and they go back to their own schedules, life, and things start to slip. The initial motivation to eat well and exercise has to come from deep inside and be strong and/or you have to have some sort of accountability. I don't know everyone's combination here but the Biggest Loser's intensity then to go back home that would be difficult - unless you had the will and also the motivation somewhere deep inside to maintain. I'm glad they had the courage to share their stories. Thanks again for posting.
A great comment, stickingtotheplan! We need the motivation and will to maintain - and a bit of accountiblity, too. I know that when I was maintaining, I continued to read the threads and post occasionally on the maintainers thread here. But ultimately it has to come from inside. There needs to be a permanent lifestyle change - and a permanent revisualization of the body. And even so, it's an ongoing process.
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
My reaction to this article is that I don't think the results are mainstream/typical. The amount of stress those contestants go through with 8 hour workout days must tax their adrenal system. They should have tested their hormones. I think that explains drop in BMR, not just typical dieting.
Ro - that is one of the scariest parts to me - the NIH DID test hormone levels and the contestants leptin production was normal at the start of TBL, and was almost ZERO at the end of the show! And 6 years later still hadn't recovered...As I understand it, this is the hormone that controls our cravings.

There was also a sentence or two dropped into the article that struck me about the former contestants opening a "bag of chips" and blacking out / eating the entire bag. Or going out with friends and "drinking beer" like they used to...Weeeeeellllllll....yah, it really s**ks, but you ARE going to gain back what you lost if you fall back on old habits.

I guess what I take out of this is that there is no "magic" pill right now. Time and studies are showing the dangers / problems with yo-yo dieting. Our best bet is to get the weight under control and be vigilant about maintaining. Catch scale creep at 10 pounds, as opposed to 25 or 50. Agreed that it's a constant struggle.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:00 PM   #10  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
Ro - that is one of the scariest parts to me - the NIH DID test hormone levels and the contestants leptin production was normal at the start of TBL, and was almost ZERO at the end of the show! And 6 years later still hadn't recovered...As I understand it, this is the hormone that controls our cravings.

There was also a sentence or two dropped into the article that struck me about the former contestants opening a "bag of chips" and blacking out / eating the entire bag. Or going out with friends and "drinking beer" like they used to...Weeeeeellllllll....yah, it really s**ks, but you ARE going to gain back what you lost if you fall back on old habits.

I guess what I take out of this is that there is no "magic" pill right now. Time and studies are showing the dangers / problems with yo-yo dieting. Our best bet is to get the weight under control and be vigilant about maintaining. Catch scale creep at 10 pounds, as opposed to 25 or 50. Agreed that it's a constant struggle.
Hey Beth,

Yeah, I caught that. I should have been more specific. I was referring to cortisol levels. They should have 3 control groups - dieters with no exercise, dieters with moderate exercise (I consider most of us in this category) and the biggest loser folks with their extreme exercise to see effect stress has as adrenal system affects BMR. To my knowledge, leptin does not - just controls satiety. So, they seem to imply all dieters have lower BMR afterwards which we know is not true. I had my BMR tested before and after and it was same at 1600. The article seems to imply biggest loser contestants are representative of all of us so I reject the generalization as these folks go to extremes for which their body either does not recover or takes a very long time.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

I would consider IP fairly tough on the system. Truth of the matter is we put ourselves into a state of ketosis and semi-starvation. I get what you are saying about cortisol and the extreme exercise - but leptin is effected by cortisol. They recommend people who have low leptin levels to make sure they are getting enough sleep and avoid / reduce stress - cortisol binds to leptin so it doesn't 'communicate' as well as it should.
I'm genuinely curious - how / where do you go for BMR testing? I am going to ask my PDoc to test my leptin level at my next physical in the fall.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #12  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Beth - You can get both your BMR and AMR (Active) tested at a good gym or just BMR at various doctors' offices. I had mine tested at two different doctors' offices and both calculated 1600 pre and post IP. I put more faith in the results given that I tested at 2 different unaffiliated locations and got the same results. I wound up canceling the test at my gym. I did calculate my own AMR using Jillian Michael's guidance which measure out at 2100 for me - I just googled to get that (she also has a calculation for an approximation for BMR). I haven't validated my AMR yet as I am always in a perpetual state of gaining or losing. I look forward to when I maintain to prove out 2100 calories keeps my weight stable.

The doctors' offices were ones specialized in weight loss - doctors that were board certified in obesity medicine.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Counter to the NYT article...
Thanks for the link, Destony!
http://www.refusetoregain.com/2016/0...n-it-back.html
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #14  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

"The Insider" TV show on CBS network is about to do a story on the article... on the study results discussed in the article. Wonder if they will have anything to add... I'll let y'all know...

Update: Nothing new reported on the TV story.

I guess the take away for me is that it's not just a mind game, though the little voice in my head can talk me into succumbing to temptation in a heartbeat, but maybe knowing that I need to be vigilant to fight off the biology of the situation may be helpful down the road...

Last edited by oneuh2; 05-04-2016 at 07:40 PM.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I saw on Facebook that Ali Vincent (one of the BL winners) had regained all her weight back and is not starting weight watchers. I had also read an article where they interviewed past contestants and they basically said everyone gains back the weight, which is why you never see any reunion shows.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote